Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, said that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*

Thread #1
Thread #2

Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15

Last edited by a moderator:
A Body has been found in the area of the search for Gabby.

Mod Note:

Please Read and Acknowledge

Where we are at this time:
-Brian Laundrie is officially named a POI by Law Enforcement
-Awareness foundation is approved for discussion
-Find Gabby FB page is not approved
-Gabby is still missing and considered the victim in this case
-Authorities have the van
-LE was at the Laundrie home last night
to talk with family - Protestors were at scene
-FOX 13 has reached out to authorities and police confirmed that they have been in contact with the TikTok user, Miranda Baker. They say her story is "possibly credible."
-Authorities are searching for BL who is now considered a missing person: current known search is at Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park / Carlton Reserve
-BL’s parents shared with LE they have not seen BL since Tuesday
-Video of couple dash cam is approved

———————————————

-Gabby’s case is not connected to the double homicide - DO NOT BRING IT BACK INTO THE Thread
-DO NOT BRING IN COVID / COVID SHOTS
-DO NOT BRING IN MENTAL HEALTH

-Do not start or encourage conspiracy theories
-Speculation or suggestions of a hoax or drug use is not permitted
-Include links to sources
-Do not link to unapproved social media
-post to engage in dialogue, not to bicker or argue with fellow posters
-No sleuthing BL’s parents
-WS is Law Enforcement friendly - it OK to have an opinion on the status of events but do not openly bash LE on WS

Violations of the bullets above will result in an immediate time out. If you have a concern, please use the report link at the bottom of any post rather than stating your concern in thread. If you have question please PM a member of the Mod Team. We are here to help you!

Complete list of rules can be found here: RULES

Thank you for helping us keep this thread open and running smoothly by following the rules and guidelines above. We don’t like closing threads any more than you like experiencing a thread closure.

Thanks for being amazing and valued WS members!!

Best to All,
Tiff

———————
Compliments of @oviedo
LAST UPDATED 10:30 AM EST SEPT. 19

Snipping the timeline and working on it - specifically the cars in the driveway during Sept12-17

AUG 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah
AUG 25: Petito’s family spoke to her for the last time over the phone and she said she was in Grand Teton National Park
Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.
AUG 25 - Couple spots van at 5pm at Jenny Lake - alerts LE 9/17 they saw it

AUG 27
- Gabby's uncle posts there was a snapchat Gabby sent a friend -heading to Yellowstone (in Dailymail article)
AUG 27-a Van is seen in the side of the road and youtubers post it - MSM picks up the story - could be Gabbys
In the video the lady says it was recorded Aug 27, 2021 at between 6:00 to 6:30 PM
AUG 27 & 30
: text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
After August 30th, Gabby’s parents weren’t able to get in contact with Gabby or her fiance. Her fiance’s mother also was not responding to any phone calls.
AUG 29- BL is picked up at 5:30pm while
hiking alone in Grand Teton (tiktok reported in MSM)
B alleged that Laundrie had confessed to camping at an unregulated site in the National Park "in the middle of nowhere along Snake River."

AUG 29 Elk hunters spot van

AUG 30: Text from Gabby to Mom - No service in Yosemite
August 31: A new list titled “Self-Consumption” appeared on the couple’s Spotify
SEP 1: BL returns home to FL alone, (retains an attorney we don’t know when) & is uncooperative with the investigation
SEP 10:: Gabby’s mother texted BL and his mother, RL, trying to get in touch with Gabby, but neither replied. The family alerted the National Park Service.

Sept 10- Gabbys Dad contacts LE?

SEP 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
Sep 11: Van seized at the home of BL parents in NorthPort FL - FBI

Sept12-15- working on which cars were in the driveway- camper, mustang, red vehicle

Sep 14: BL family lawyer issues statement
Note: a vehicle left driveway at 6:04pm

Sept 15: NorthPort police names BL as Person of Interest

Sept 15: Gabby's family issues another statement

Sep 15- Northport police chief asks BL lawyer to assist in finding Gabby
Sep 17 - FBI takes over search in WY (GTNP =Grand Teton National Park)

Sept 17- BL family asks police to come to their home
Sept 17- LE at BL home - he is declared missing by his parents as of Tuesday
Parents admit driving the mustang back after finding it at the preserve
Sept18- searches for Gabby and BL
Sept 19- BL search planned
—-
WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*

Elk hunters sighting
Search intensifies for Gabby Petito; police respond to Laundrie home in Florida
Reporter Brian Entin video he posted on Tuesday 9/14 at 6:04 pm and he said the parents had left an hour previously.

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1437930287170822152?s=21

Then video of them returning in a red truck.

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1437932624534769668?s=21

——-
  • this reporter says that Brian’s family called police this morning and says he was last seen at the reserve by them and they came here on Tuesday and saw his mustang and drove it hom
Updated with new YouTube video

Mod Note:
We went through several threads yesterday with comments on mental health, OCD, anxiety, etc. It is time to let that go. The focus is where is Gabby and our POI Brian.

Future posts regarding mental health will be removed. The thread is simply moving too fast to bring in the various points of view and personal experiences in this area.

Thanks everyone - You are Rock Stars and we so appreciate you!!

Hoping the M.E. will have something to check teeth, fingerprints, and/or hair, etc., in case needed to compare with the found body -- without having to wait for Gabby's parents to deliver or send records, etc.
IMO, I wouldn't think comparison with a picture would be enuff to enable the M.E. or LE to confirm that the body is or isn't Gabby. We don't know how long the body has been at the location where it was found, or its condition, to absolutely rule a match/no-match. Some family will receive some bad news soon.

FBI will do more matching than just visual, but this just makes me sad. Now wheres that Laundrie person if hes still alive hes got some questions to answer.

8 min(s) ago
FBI: Human remains found in Wyoming likely Gabby Petito
The FBI announced Sunday that the body found in the Wyoming park where the search for Gabby Petito was ongoing was "consistent" with the description for Petito.

The FBI also cautioned that they have not yet 100% confirmed the identity through DNA testing and that the investigation was still ongoing.

I should have added this to my post above:
Height, weight, race and maybe hair color or dentals could certainly rule it in or out, perhaps, if the difference was obvious. But a positive ID may be required, according to the state's laws.

Gratitude:

Gratitude to each of you, to the public, to people that went through videos from travel to help in the search for Gabby. The care and compassion of WS Members in seeking justice for victims is why I am here with you. You played a role in helping Gabby’s parents get this far. You sent prayers, you kept the story alive, and you did it with class. YOU HAD A POSITIVE IMPACT.

Now - let’s find BL…

Peace to Gabby’s Family and Peace to Each of You.

{{Heart}},
Tiff

Hi all, sorry my post appears to have posted X3. Oh the joys of dial up speed internet, remember those aol days. UGH! Moderator could you remove two of them?

Poor Gabby. I love the photo of her smiling on the swing and the video of her doing cart wells on the beach. Rest In Peace.

You assume the info you hear is what the families heard. I assume you heard what I heard and that's what they felt they could tell you. But I think they all knew what happened. From the bodycam video, their you tube video, and the call from Christopher. They all knew. And they also knew why Brian wasn't talking. That's why they didn't arrest him. I've said before, I could be wrong. We shall see. But I believe he is actually the #1 victim in this. And he is paying the price.

Folks have shared here their pain from past experiences that affect their perpective of current events. Let me share. My brother committed suicide. Suicide has victims. Suicide is never pretty. Maybe she didn't kill herself but suicide is 2.5 times as likely as homicide from a statistical point of view. (I have posted a reference to this statistic from the national institute of mental health). I withhold judgment on Brian as I wish others on here would too.

Your post infers the "call from Christoper" could mean Christopher Laundrie

That's not the case. If you read the police report, Christopher was interviewed on site.
They would know it wasn't BL's father.

Personally, while I might have strong expectations of the guilt of people I always try to keep my mind open not just for whsts probable but also what's possible. This <modsnip> has significantly weakened my ability to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bear that finds any food in the forest will bury it for later. Bears will destroy up to 60 square meters to bury prey. Even though the part bury, they almost always fully bury their food.
Grizzlies (in Alaska) actually scrape it into a pile with dirt, bones, rib cages, skulls and attached vertebrae sticking out every which way, and lie on top, eating when hungry and protecting the kill for days. They are trying to put on huge amounts of fat now. Often they will not move off their kill pile even for a low flying plane trying to scare them off. That's why they are so extremely dangerous on a moose kill or on a human kill. They do not bury their prey and go off for a stroll for a few days. And, generally it's the largest of the bears that adopt ownership of the cache, even if a smaller bear discovered the kill or killed it. The best thing to do to get rid of a person you murdered in bear country is just drag it out on the river's edge, or the adjacent rocky flats, or lightly wooded area and slightly conceal it, and that's exactly what he appears to have done. IMO Did a non-human predator find her? We don't know yet, but the "right" steps were taken by the person trying to get rid of her. IMO.

Read the first chapter of this book to see what really happens, and read the second book too, about one of the deadliest "bear" nights in a national park....Glacier National Park (in 1967).
1) The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell's Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears by Nick Jans
2) Night of the Grizzlies by Jack Olsen

Last edited:
Rest in peace Gabby, this is so heartbreaking.

I fully believe that Gabby was a victim of reactive abuse. The body cam video is a clear indicator imo of having Gabby retaliated to her abuser, standing up for herself, and BL managing to successfully convince the responding officers and Gabby herself that she was in the wrong. Emotional abuse and gaslighting by BL could have caused Gabby to become convinced that she had ocd, anxiety, and was mentally unstable. Emotional abusers are very manipulative to not only their victims but those around them, they can convince anyone even LE in cases like this that the victim is infact the aggressor.

This type of gaslighting can be devesating as the victim feels like no one will believe her because look what a ‘nice guy’ he appears as on that footage. When you look closer and are looking for red flags though they are all there. BL took on a Chris Watts like stance at some points, He downplayed his own actions and deflected the blame right onto Gabby, made it sound like she was ‘irritated by small things’ ‘nothing could be out of place’ when IMO in reality he probably purposely made a mess and irritated her on purpose to provoke a reaction, then he could turn around just like he did and say ‘she scratched me’. Meanwhile, Gabby is distraught because she feels guilt and shame for reacting to him, she is convinced that she is the aggressive one who overreacts.

It is hard to put into words just how debilitating emotional abuse can be for a victim, the abuser strips away your identity and sense of self, until you feel like you are going mad. They convince you that you’re neurotic and that you need some sort of psychological help, abusers disguise their abuse as caring about you, especially in situations where the police get involved.

BL saying he tried to ‘calm her down’ by locking her out of the vehicle is an example. Locking someone out of their own van (and probably threatening to drive off and leave her there), would not calm anyone down, especially someone who is already upset, in a place she doesn’t know well and who’s only travelling companion is her abuser who is getting enjoyment out of how far he can warp her sense of identity and well being.

All MOO and JMO..

Very well stated.

This i
They should’ve immediately placed him under surveillance,” said Ed Gavin, an expert in missing person cases and former acting chief of the New York City Administration for Children’s Services. “Immediately.”

They should’ve been all over him,” Gavin added. “The fact that they let him out of their sight, that’s a no-no. Time is of the essence with these investigations.”

“I think what I would do if I was running the investigation is ask for permission to [look at Schmidt’s phone] because you don’t want to alienate the family, you want to do it in as cooperative a way as possible,” former veteran FBI agent Oliver Farache said.

“You want to look at the phone, see if anything was deleted, see exactly what kind of conversation they were having and looking at the whole thing, not just the last few days,” Farache said. “And the history of the texts that mom exchanged and dad as well will give you a clue into the missing person’s mental state as well.”

One retired NYPD detective said keeping tabs on Laundrie was a no-brainer.

“You always have to try to build a case and if it means surveillance to see where he’s going or what he’s doing … then you do that,” the ex-cop said. “You don’t need a search warrant to surveil somebody.”
Handling of Gabby Petito case under scrutiny amid boyfriend hunt

This is what I was saying in an earlier post, that shouldn't he be under constant surveillance. I just assumed due to the rules in the USA (I'm not Am.) that he couldn't be followed at that point, but sounds like he could've and should've been!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo