Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
FBI had not officially identified (i.e., DNA, dental, etc.) recovered body as Gabby but they were confident enough to publicly extend condolences to her family. Dr. Baden cited on recap that Gabby had several unique tattoos that are typically preserved on the dermis after extended days and decomposition. MOO
and all of her lovely and unique jewelry.....

People say not to scare your kids but knowledge is power. I am sure your influence has greatly influenced her life and she's better for it.

I watched an interview with a mom whose child was murdered after being kidnapped. She looked directly into the camera and said “scare your kids, tell them the truth about the dangers out there”. I’ll never forget it.

I’m still confused why it took so long to find her remains. It’s been stated that this area was full of campers and busy. It’s odd that nobody noticed a body for a month. Or if buried nobody noticed a area or disturbed earth. It would be extremely noticeable in that terrain

I disagree with you. The area body was located in was a large wash of rocks, gravel, silt, a creek and small channels. It was not a mirror flat piece of ground where you could have seen a twig or a small rock. The contour was very irregular and the site with disturbed earth was on the opposite side of the main creek channel, I believe. There was also no gravel road that went directly passed the site, rather it was areas of rock and gravel such that the searchers were on horseback, not on vehicles.

The area was not exactly "full of campers" as if they were side by side and walking all over the place. It was a dispersed campground and the van was actually parked west of where most of the vehicles would be. But you might have had 20 vehicles in the entire dispersed area, mostly all concentrated farther east.

The terrain was partially flat, but low sagebrush scrub and small deciduous and conifer trees were beside the wash area, and there were rocks even in the flat places that would have been the floodplain of Spread Creek.

I live in an area with this kind of terrain, similar streambeds and washes and it is not as you think it is.

I have a theory about this that I think may get deleted or the people with pitchforks will come to get me, but I'm going put it out there anyway. Since everyone here thinks Brain is a possible serial killer and murderer, let me counter that with this:

Gabby herself stated she was going through some things (I am not bringing up mental health issues, these were her words), and she also seemed distraught and inconsolable in that traffic stop where it was determined that she was the aggressor in the situation.

Put yourself in Brain's shoes please for this next part: Gabby has an accident, or she harms herself (a general hypothetical) or something other than Brian causes her death. They are alone, there are no witnesses. There is now a history of an altercation at the traffic stop and he is scared. Scared something happened and scared no one will believe him when he tells the truth (remember from Brian's POV). So he leaves her out there, not a great move, drives home, tries to figure out what to do next. He tells his parents what actually happened in his mind, she fell off a high rock and passed away, whatever he would have said. They call a lawyer due to this strange situation and are told to not talk.

Brian feels guilty and is distraught about her being gone and what he did by leaving her. He feels trapped with media camping out his house. He's scared, so he leaves. That's all I have. Anyone think this is possible? Not trying to give him a pass, just a different point of view, since no one, not me, not you, knows what happened.

IMO - FBI don't stage a raid and declare a "crime scene" at the boyfriends house for someone that harmed themselves or an accidental death.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched Grey fo 3 hours yesterday about the van door, and he pretty much concluded, using hi-def raw footage, that the door this is just noise from the camera.

I respect many of those who follow/subscribe to GH but I think there are a few on YT who have much more advanced analysis of crime footage these days AND have much, much better commentary (or limit commentary to only explanation of footage analysis). A few days ago, while reviewing the Moab police transcript, specifically the part about Gabby climbing through the driver's window of the van, GH said, "... everybody's known somebody when they drink that gets crazy like that...". Suggesting she was crazy or behaving as if she was under the influence of alcohol, well... I found it shameful. Gabby was afraid BL was abandoning her (he locked her out of the van and was driving away - and this van was her temporary "home" while on the road). Yes, climbing through the window was risky, but imo Gabby had moxie... this was her transportation home which was at least 2000 miles away.

I'm glad WS allowed the other analysis of the Bethune video.

jmo

Last edited:
Watching the WFLA footage, I see the mustang in the driveway. The photo I’ve seen of Gabby’s van after the road trip ended show it in a garage with white walls and the caption states, “Gabby’s van pictured at BL’s parents house in Florida.” (Obviously I paraphrased that caption). I’d find it interesting if that van was parked in their garage but the mustang is parked outside. It would seem like they were hoping to keep it hidden. Does anyone know if they had it parked outside or in the garage? If I only had the ability to put one car in the garage it wouldn’t be a van, it would be the mustang since it’s a convertible.
I agree that the goal of putting the van in the garage was concealment. I wonder if neighbors have video of the van being put into the garage?

I have to think GP was running away from him, and he ran her down. I can't see him hefting a body two football fields away.

I think this is what happened as well. Doesn't seem like they pulled over for some site seeing at that spot. They pulled over because they were fighting. She was done and ran away. He went after her.

Replying to you because I can’t find the original post about being able to anonymously send money through western union. I’ve worked in a store that does western union (and I sent many transactions through that job) and you cannot send it anonymously. You have to have a name of who it’s going to. If they don’t have ID you can do a security question but there has to be a name. And a phone number. You can’t just send it to anyone without any way for them to identify who they are.

I know people still use WU, but aren’t there faster, easier ways to send money to someone? Or is this so they’ll have cash right away?

I haven't watched their video, but I've caught bits and pieces reported. It seems like they said they noticed it had Florida plates and that stood out to them because they were also from Florida and that's why they were going to stop. If they were looking hard enough to notice the plates, they'd have to notice the door, right?

You wouldn’t be able to read the plates from the distance they’re at when the door closes IMO.

both BL and GP were living in FL with BL’s parents for two years. The assumption is that’s how they saved up enough money to travel for months. They met in NY but then relocated to FL.
Unbelievable to me that the Laundries could have been so involved with Gabby. That she LIVED with them those years, and they would not insist on someone notifying her family that she was left behind in trip. …Unless BL told them something damned incriminating and deadly to him.

I think the photos of the van inside a garage is from where the police are storing and searching it, not from the Laundrie garage. The van was on the driveway AFAIK?
If he was really hoping to get away with this, the sensible thing would have been to put her in the driver's seat and slide the van down a boat ramp somewhere, leave all his stuff in the car, and then just disappear. He wasn't thinking like a criminal mastermind however. He drove her car back to his house. He (IMO) was going to talk to police but his parents (IMO) convinced him to speak to a lawyer first who advised him to shut-up and wait. I don't think this guy is a closet serial killer, he is an abusive A-*&^%% and he lost it and did something he can never take back and now a person is dead and lives are destroyed.

Reasonably, it is highly unlikely IMO that JL was not directly involved. I think they had a fight and things got out of hand. I don’t think he plotted to murder her (though he sure as hell wanted that van of hers to take all that trouble to bring it back) . If he were truly innocent in all of this, he would have told her friends and family that he was leaving her there. You don’t leave someone, especially someone once dear alone in the wilderness like that. And if he found her hurt or unresponsive after a hike around, the automatic thing would have been to call for help.
But in court, he does not have to say what he did. Or give explanations. The attorney just has to show that all kinds of possibilities could have happened and there is no evidence (unless someone is found ) that BL did anything other than leave Gabby and of what transpired thereafter to her he knew nothing. He was done with her and did not know or care what happened

The DA has to PROVE with admissible evidence that someone did the deed.

until there is a trial, if a trial occurs, we won’t know what evidence FBI and police have. And will get.

In the Mollie Tibbetts trial they went through the whole trial essentially trying to create doubt in the state's evidence. They tried to get their client's confession suppressed. Then at trial, the defendant took the stand and essentially said gang members in sweaters (in July) did it. It didn't work out too well for him as he's spending the rest of his life in jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member