Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the night in jail would have changed anything. They appear on surface to be a toxic couple unfortunately. I don't know if I can judge their relationship from the hour police video, but I think it's fair to say it was an unhealthy relationship no matter which one would set off the other one. She just happened to get 'caught' by someone who called 911 but that doesn't mean she was the aggressor every time...they could be both be aggressors in their own way.

I tend to agree. I do think it was an unhealthy relationship and there was probably some back and forth. I just bristle at the constant din of DV (unless evidence emerges to show it).

People can love each other and also be incompatible and unhealthy for each other. That doesn't mean one or the other is an "abuser." If BL (actually) thought that GP's social media efforts were a waste of time, unlikely to amount to much, etc.. (as many in the early posts here said, as well) - he had a right to say that. Doesn't make him a monster.

Possibly killing her and certainly leaving her body in the woods, while he goes on the run... does.

Why?? If he did leave her in that town, she had options. Call her father for one thing. If she was worried about him leaving her in some remote place then must not have been too big a worry if she stayed with him even going off in the wilderness. Not sure where the “afraid of him leaving her” topic came from.
She said that in the bodycam footage.

it's unprofessional for sure but its no different than what we saw here over the weekend and people bringing up their own stories over and over

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying that a law enforcement officer discussing his toxic ex-wife while in the middle of a dv case is the same as posters discussing their histories?

I think you are correct. I just mean given her state when leaving that scene and her stating that she didn't drive, I find it interesting that she could have actually through her tears driven the miles to the site at Arches and been comfortable being there by herself. I could be wrong, for sure.

She didn't state that she didn't drive! She drove the van away from the traffic stop. She drove her Nissan Sentra in California. Why would she have two vehicles registered in succession to her name if she didn't drive?

What she said is that Brian did "most of" the driving. This is common. She was the navigator, with the list of places she wanted to see. She was the planner. He was the driver.

All information should have been included in the writeup. And ESPECIALLY in a DV situation, victims OFTEN minimize the abuse they received, especially if they defended themselves and don't want to get punished later, want to protect their lover, and are being gaslit and treated like an hysterical little lady.
BBM. This is exactly what I think happened here.

All information should have been included in the writeup. And ESPECIALLY in a DV situation, victims OFTEN minimize the abuse they received, especially if they defended themselves and don't want to get punished later, want to protect their lover, and are being gaslit and treated like an hysterical little lady.

I feel like she had no other way then to downplay it. I would too if i had to continu my roadtrip with the guy. Jmo

I am guessing

1. Strangling - He had grabbed face and neck before in LE video. It could be a typical reaction for him.

2. Blunt force, hit her so hard in van that this happened.

3. Rock in creek bed. There are a lot of round hand size rocks around.

I would think any of of the three would be able to be discovered.
I agree...unless he stabbed her. They did have kitchenware on hand.

I first would just like to send condolences to gabbys family and friends. I didn’t sleep a wink last night thinking about gabby.
From the age of 19 I was in a serious DV relationship, I was pushed into a wall and had my head glued back together, He once strangled me and I was taken to hospital with finger bruising all over my throat and suspected broken ribs, he deserted me on holiday in Rome after an argument and I had to find my way back to the hotel at 10pm at night completely alone with no money (luckily I had my phone so I could use maps) So for me any of those situations could have happened IMO maybe he pushed her and she hit her head on a rock or maybe he strangled her, it’s all very close to home for me and I can see any of these things happening once again my opinion. At the end of the day more needs to be done to educate on DV and from an early age, maybe in schools to spot the signs. This type of violence can happen to anyone, any gender, any age etc. Making it less of a stigma would help people open up more to others and more likely to ask for help.
Thinking of gabby and sending love to her family and friends.

Discussion on LE response are going nowhere. Police did their job and separated them. BL's hotel was provided by a shelter. The probable murder was two weeks later - police may have stopped an earlier murder from happening. They are not long term counselors, they could not have followed the couple for two weeks. They both contributed to covering up any assault that happened.

If there was any failure, it might be the shelter that provided space and did not follow up.
I noticed that GP posted her vanlife video a week later, on August 19, full of imagery of them cavorting and kissing. I don't see how police could have intervened to end the relationship, when that's how she wanted everyone to see it.

I don't think he expected the body to be sound so (relatively) easily, paticularly with a gap in time before they would start looking. They've been quite fortunate with the footage of the van coming forwards, something that easily could not have happened.
Hoping and praying that evidence will have been preserved.

She didn't state that she didn't drive! She drove the van away from the traffic stop. She drove her Nissan Sentra in California. Why would she have two vehicles registered in succession to her name if she didn't drive?

What she said is that Brian did "most of" the driving. This is common. She was the navigator, with the list of places she wanted to see. She was the planner. He was the driver.
This is just a theory but maybe BL didn't have the vehicles registered to him for insurance reasons. We have a "high risk driver" in my family and none of our vehicles have their name on the title because insurance for those vehicles would become significantly more expensive if it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa