Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully, police transcripts are not a medical diagnosis.

Mental health issues are not something cops are good at detecting IMO. At least, they are far from experts at it. Only doctors are.

And we certainly should not be taking the boyfriend at his word since he is a POI. The POI could be making things up like crazy to cover his own rear end for his own behavior, and even for her own behavior.

And mental health issues revealed by domestic violence arguments are not something people should be discussing casually on a place like this as though people have any idea what they are talking about! It's totally inappropriate and UNFAIR to any and all victims in this situation. IMO

The police report contained self-statements. While many people do seek professional help for what they believe is their mental health issue, it's not the same as a professional diagnosis.

However, last I heard, it's not illegal or unethical for a person to self-diagnosis with a mental health issue. Apparently, both of them had at least done this. It's none of our business whether they visited a professional - but self-statements are valid in many settings (such as educational ones - you don't need a professional dx to get accommodations for anxiety...many schools have paraprofessionals who okay such diagnoses - perhaps that's what they are referring to).

Or, they just happen to know that they have anxiety. Stats at my college show that over 60% of students say they have moderate to severe problems with anxiety.

My point was that I wasn’t suspicious of the Yosemite/Yellowstone issue, since it’s so common for people to mix them up completely innocently. And no matter what you think of the Daily Mail, I can’t see how it’s their mistake—the step-uncle says ‘Yosemite’ on his handwritten timeline.
However, I feel extremely suspicious of that text. It’ll be extremely interesting when LE traces the phones. I suspect that they’ll see that the two phones, his and hers, are traveling together for days after there’s no sign of Gabby’s presence.

And by the way, ‘bipolar’ is the same length or shorter than ‘anxiety.’ The police report seems reasonable to me, too.

MOO

The complete police report (which I hadn't read until just now) uses a much longer phrase as regarding what Gabby reported to them. The first part of the report has a shorter word - the last part of the report, well, it's very curious and I'm not going to opine further on the redacted portion - I can think of a couple of things.

The Daily Mail can check its facts. Even a quick perusal of the couple's SM shows them on the way to Yellowstone (which has been accurately stated in dozens of other reports). This just shows how little DM puts into its concoctions, IMO. To go with just one source to a headline - well, that's now how I would describe responsible journalism.

Not that DM is striving for awards in responsible journalism.

@Seattle1 - thank you for copying and bolding the part about the family saying that it was moving things OUT of the storage unit and not INTO one (and I will await further confirmation that that's what happened - if it was a big unit with two people's entire life's possessions in it, I can see how dad wanted son to help - maybe the parents were paying the bill for it?)

The problem with the end of that theory - she had already called her mother on August 25th (? I believe that was the late date) with relationship talk, as her mother had told reporters, which made her mother eventually reveal they were no longer engaged and were just "boyfriend and girlfriend" according to the DailyMail. (I quoted that in previous post)

I think they broke up once and for all - JMO - and that it didn't go well. After that probable argument, it's impossible to know what happened.
I think you’re likely right. The police report from their domestic dispute paints a picture of a relationship with some degree of volatility, and physicality for that matter.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to think they had some sort of blowout fight (perhaps about breaking up), and it ended very badly.

I think she met someone else and is camping at a place with no internet.As for not calling home,maybe she's not ready for all the drama to unfold yet.
I’d love for you to be right, but I think there’s very little chance of it. If that were true, the boyfriend would be able to tell LE where he saw her last, security cameras would be able to confirm that she had gone one way and he had gone another, and he wouldn’t be a POI.

MOO

He wouldn't be able to say anything if his lawyer told him not to.

Remembering myself at 22...... I could not have traveled with my then love of my life for months on end

I might add, I agree this is a generational thing. My daughter has anxiety and panic disorder since she was pre-adolescent. GAD is not something that you can self diagnose. In her case it is controlled with medication and on/off therapy when she is stressed. (Nursing school). My daughter would not be able to travel months alone with just her boyfriend with her diagnosis. I hear of and know of so many young people in their 20's speak of panic attacks and anxiety. Hard to know if they were diagnosed or self diagnosing. In any event, to me this trip was causing maybe real anxiety and it was magnifying each and every day.
Agree, my 33 year old daughter is bi-polar. Her abusive husband isolated her and her bi-polar took over her life. She is now divorced, is very successful in her high paying career and a different person with the change in her living conditions. Even with proper meds, she would not be capable of a trip like this, her environment has to be "controlled", adequate sleep, diet, etc.

I think she met someone else and is camping at a place with no internet.As for not calling home,maybe she's not ready for all the drama to unfold yet.

He wouldn't be able to say anything if his lawyer told him not to.
Sure he could, it is called choice. I am holding out that his legal counsel is arranging cooperation with LE/confession and this is not just protecting him but I have my doubts.

Personally, I don't think LE will find any evidence that he flew home and then back. If they do, I'll be very surprised. I think he drove home before anyone but his parents knew and the moving of her thing occurred at that time. JMO

I know that it’s a bizarre situation, but I think that either Gabby told her family that he’d flown back to Florida, and/or LE has already discovered that he did.

MOO

Not related, a Christopher filed the report at 4:45 in the afternoon of the 12. Women were seen Aug.13 at a local bar. GP and BL had reserved spots in Arches the 12th through? Not connected.

Right. How long was the reservation for. Reservations for Moab are hard to come by and being able to book consecutive days is impossible during the middle of Summer. You usually need to make reservations months in advance. You can get a day here in there though.

I feel like he fled the state after having done something (bad) and leaving to move stuff from the storage unit is a cover. Or perhaps there was something incriminating in the storage unit? A lot of money and time spent to just move their stuff.

That would make sense. He ran home, but then someone convinced him to return and tie up loose ends?

Someone stated on August 12th there's a domestic violence and law enforcement was called.

On August 13th he posts where they're headed next. This is also the last time he posts on IG.

I think the fight was so bad they did break up. That is why the mother said she did not know where the relationship with the boyfriend was headed.

The breakup was so bad that he left on a plane headed for home. And he pulled all of her stuff out of his parent's home and put it in storage.

He left her in the hotel room with her van. And I'm guessing to myself that's where the break-up ended.

However I'm beginning to wonder if there was texts and phone calls after that. Maybe she didn't want to be left there alone maybe she wanted to get back together. Maybe they reconciled and he flew back there.

If I understand right that would have been on the 24th. In that press conference they said on the 25th was the last communication between Gabby and her mother.

Sounds like something went horribly wrong after they left the motel room.

This is just moo...

If I understand they moved the belongings from the storage to the fathers home

What is Brian got drunk at the bar in Moab where the murdered gal worked after the cops sent him to the hotel

Well, since they camped miles out of town and off any major road, he would have had a long walk, trotting along behind them. And they had already told the bartender about a different man (the "creeper") who had been annoying them for at least a week.

I think we can safely drop BL as a suspect in the Moab murders.

If the side of town where they lived was perhaps the same side as the hotel where he had been sent, would it necessarily matter?

The two women who were murdered were living at a campground. I don’t know how close to town it was, but I had the impression that it was somewhat rural. Although, they seem to have been killed the next night, so BL might well have had access to the van again, by then.

However, I think that it’s almost certainly coincidence.

Last edited:

That is understandable advice if a person's life is not potentially in danger. If he left her in a national park with no vehicle, her life may be in imminent danger, and if not, he should at least tell her parents that. OR tell them where she is, so they know she is not being eaten by wild animals and is safe. Why couldn't he at least do that?

IMO because he's guilty of *something*. He can hide behind his lawyer's advice for only so long.

Just a few notes.
  • BL could have taken an Uber to the airport.
  • Situation seems to be emotionally immature people setting high expectations for a cross-country trip and assuming it will turn out to be easy and lucrative like other van life youtubers channels they watched.
  • They did a similar trip the year before in her Nissan Sentra but likely stayed in hotels as they did not have a van (maybe tent-camped) but another year in a relationship can be very different than the previous and 24/7 in a small van can exacerbate small issues into large ones.
  • They are 22 and 23.
  • The couple had been together for two years but dated or knew each other in high school. They said they were engaged - that's pretty serious. They had been living with his parents, so I can see his parents flying BL home if he was upset over a broken engagement. I can see BL flying back if they decided to reconcile. Then a few more nights of arguing as the relationship finally ends. I speak from experience here.
  • GP could have told him to take the van and leave, she was sick of the whole thing. And walked off. I could see BL being exhausted after going through the emotional wringer and just getting in the van and driving off without really considering the consequences.
  • Completely normal people fight in cars and one person sometimes gets mad enough to get out and walk. And the other person is mad enough to let them. This can happen without one person killing the other or one person committing suicide.
  • MOO

We just read a police report that Gabby was fearful he would take the van and abandon her. Imo, that doesn't match up with her giving him the van.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave