Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC it's fairly straightforward to get from Jackson Hole to the nearest interstate (I-80). There are so many millions of people who go that way.
I doubt BL would have gone west into Idaho or east via Dubois etc., both of which are more remote and squiggly IIRC.

How do we know they had no money?

ETA: Other than her dad via Dr. Phil. Do we know if Brian did?

I am thinking that they do have money, but its in the bank and they have it all accounted for to be able to finish the trip. Ie so much for gas money, so much for food, entry fees, etc. So when the cop asked if they had money for a motel, he was probably thinking, "no its all accounted for, but how bad can jail be for her. hey maybe I can get that hike in tonight after all if they just hurry up with all this."

Could be, but GP own words were that she was slapping him to get him to stop telling her to calm down. I don't know why we can't get past the fact that she was indeed slapping him. It doesn't mean she wasn't doing it in self defense or that she wasn't verbally provoked into doing it.
So, you as a police officer (park police) get a 911 report of a man hitting a woman.
And when you get there she is slapping him (moo he knew to stop and let her hit him before cops walked up, super manipulative) her face has pressure marks, he is driving her van, he has her phone, and it's all
"Hey Bro."

Last edited:
Along the same lines, one thing I am having a hard time understanding is that if he killed Gabby, why would he proceed to get in her van and drive it across the country back home? ETA: We learned today the van's license plate was read coming back into the area at approx 10:30 am Sep. 1, but it has not been confirmed that it was BL who was the driver

That's the thing - we don't know who was in the van, why he returned to FL without Gabby (if he did, in fact return). Unless someone comes clean (the parents, the sister, someone in the Laundries camp) I think it'll be awhile before we find out about how that van got back to Florida.

[URL]https://twitter.com/meganmyersnews/status/1440117603716976640?s=21

I asked the Laundrie family attorney for more details about tomorrow’s press conference. When asked about Brian’s whereabouts he told me the following:
“I do not know where Brian is nor do his parents.”

https://twitter.com/meganmyersnews/status/1440117792880144384?s=21
He then added:
“So if we discuss it does not mean we have knowledge of where he is.”

[/URL]
Here you go son (hands over a few thousand). Get lost.

Excellent points.

Based on what we saw on the body cam, the inside of the back of the van was horrible. IDK, but it seems to me that most people would find that kind of disorder (and probably dirt) oppressive, especially in such confined quarters. I have a little camper car and even though I'm not the tidiest person, I keep it orderly on a trip, to save my sanity.

I had not even logged into my websleuth account for this. I’d just been keeping up with it reading all the posts. However I read the part of this comment (bolded below), & I couldn’t help myself. Like are they kidding?! Am I missing something? Wth does that even mean?! This is like OJ writing that book, “If I Did It.” Or whatever it was called.
“So if we discuss it does not mean we have knowledge of where he is.”
It’s lawyer speak so he can maintain plausible deniability.

Yes. Puddle jumpers. As I recall, we encountered a storm, and my face was greener when I got off than when I got on. Maybe that flight was even out of Denver: it was waaaaay too long!

There is no reason to believe he would have a passport with him on that trip in any case. So international fights are irrelevant .

However there are flights out of there to Tx . His father or mother could easily drive over to Tx and hand over cash and his passport (if he has one) and Brian boy is on his way. That would assume that someone else would drive the van back to FL. I'd be a lot happier cooling my heels in Tx for 3-4 hrs than just over the state border from WY when someone runs across a woman's body near a camping ground.

Former host of “America’s Most Wanted” John Walsh says he was “terrified” when he first saw police cam footage of Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito.

“This is classic domestic abuse. He terrorized her not to tell the cops. He was the aggressor and slapper and puncher.”
https://twitter.com/ac360/status/1440116486950072326?s=21
https://twitter.com/ac360/status/1440116486950072326?s=21

That was the first thing I thought the second she stepped out of the van. And even more so when LE went to him and he didn't even seem concerned for her - he was more concerned about what she might have told them.

I am nervous that this story about BL going back to move stuff out to a storage container and then flying back is an attempt to confuse matters with exactly this.

If he was so fed up with her and had to prepare for the big break - why not flyout to FL and just ring in to Gabby a "Dear John ". Just Leave her with the van to sort her own life out. Why fly back ? His parents would probably dissuade him.

I think / suspect either he had help on the drive back for perhaps he never drove back at all. It is going to be interesting as to what his cell phones shows and if gas station cameras bear out that version.
I agree BL could have driven into Florida been a few blocks away called dad which could have rented a car switched, Brian took rental Dad drove the van home. I find it odd parents said he was there but never let LE talk to him just handed LE the lawyers phone number. No one has seen Brian since returned. I think Brians hike at the park was a ruse.

I am thinking that they do have money, but its in the bank and they have it all accounted for to be able to finish the trip. Ie so much for gas money, so much for food, entry fees, etc. So when the cop asked if they had money for a motel, he was probably thinking, "no its all accounted for, but how bad can jail be for her. hey maybe I can get that hike in tonight after all if they just hurry up with all this."

I agree and/or he just wasn't gonna turn away a free night in a hotel so he didn't answer one way or the other. I am less than convinced that he is as broke as people seem to think.

Retired FBI agent: Brian Laundrie likely killed Gabby Petito in 'impulsive act'

A private investigator who retired from the FBI said the agents who searched Brian Laundrie’s home on Monday were likely looking for laptops or any devices connected to social media.

He’s not a sophisticated criminal who’s been down this road before and knows how to run,” said Greg Rogers, the retired FBI agent. “That’s very difficult to do, so the chance of him reaching out for somebody, a good buddy or something like that, is pretty good.”

Rogers also said he “wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he’s harmed himself.”

The former agent said he believes Laundrie killed fiancée Gabby Petito. He said it was likely “a tragically impulsive act” and could turn out to be a fight that got out of hand.

I too had this horrible thought as we don't know what happened. He may have known she was severely injured when he left, we don't know if he killed her then left. Ugh.

Several of us were watching the KSL helicopter feed when LE arrived at Spread Creek. They cut away pretty quickly when it seemed clear there was a body on the ground and I've messaged with two other people who saw the same footage. What I saw was a body-shape, and I thought I could see clothing and the body looked like a young woman but of course I was expecting it to be Gabby, so I may have been projecting.

A reliable observer here on WS says she thinks the body was partly covered with rocks and gravel. I simply noticed that the body was pretty much out in the open, hardly any trees or shade and yes, lots of rock and gravel. At any rate, we will find out if in fact he attempted to conceal her body with some rocks and gravel (which I find plausible and I know LE knows whether he did or not).

I think he made sure she was dead. We can't discuss any of that at this point, though.

Whether he COULD have done it is not the same thing as whether he actually DID do it. Personally, I doubt it. I'm not even convinced it was him picked up hitching a ride, and if it was him, I don't for a minute believe the story he told the people who picked him up.

I just don’t get how people, who take pics of everything nowadays, including their food at a restaurant, don’t take a picture of the stranger you’re letting into your car!

They stated that had no money for a hotel when they were pulled over by LE in Utah, so where did the money for the 6 days hotel in Salt Lake City come from a few days later?

Did they have some money, but lied to LE about it?

Did one of Gabby's parents wire her some money? If so, I wonder what she told them.....that could've been an interesting conversation.
He said they didn't have the money, maybe what she had was her money and not his. I totally believe that he owned nothing.

"Crime of passion" defense is technically catagorized as a temporary insanity defense.

Legal Dictionary - Law.com

It is similar to the defenses of "diminished capacity" to understand one's own actions, the so-called "Twinkie defense," the "abuse excuse," "heat of passion" and other claims of mental disturbance which raise the issue of criminal intent based on modern psychiatry and/or sociology. However, mental derangement at the time of an abrupt crime, such as a sudden attack or crime of passion, can be a valid defense or at least show lack of premeditation to reduce the degree of the crime.

I dig ya. I went to this site, but I don't know how good it is. I know it says usually involves sexual cheating, so maybe I will stop using it :)

Crime of Passion Law and Legal Definition
Crime of passion is a criminal defendant's excuse for lacking the premeditation element of a crime due to sudden anger or heartbreak. The defense is usually raised in murder or attempted murder cases, when a spouse or lover finds his/her partner sexually involved with another and shoots or stabs one or both of the coupled pair. To successfully raise the defense, the defendant must have acted immediately after the provocation, without time to "cool off". If the element of premediation is eliminated, the charges may be lessened from provable homicide to manslaughter with no death penalty and limited prison terms. The impassioned defendant may even be acquitted.

Crime of Passion Law and Legal Definition | USLegal, Inc.

Thinking about why Gabby would have protected BL when she was questioned by LE: I've yet to see an abused victim confirm that to the police. They know there will be heck to pay if they turn the abuser in. IMO, Gabby was protecting BL and herself. The victim has usually been so isolated that they feel hopeless and helpless. MOO.
In my experience, you can take the chance of telling the truth, but the cops will almost never believe you nor keep the abusive person in custody *if* they take them in at all, so you have to make a split-second decision as to how much suffering is the truth worth in the future. And in that environment GP found herself, the clear answer was to just go with whatever they said because there was zero chance they’d believe the truth and 100% chance of retribution. What did she have to lose by being honest at that stop? To her mind, she had “everything” to lose. She was considering that she could be abandoned and lose her home, not realizing he could actually kill her or she could be driven to suicide (which some people actually do instead of killing, they drive their partner to suicide). It’s tragic she didn’t realize she was in a lethal situation, nor that anyone else did, either, because again, I truly believe this was entirely preventable.

Sorry, but an action full of emotion that leads to murder or injury is rage. I know what passion means, but describing murder as a crime of passion is minimizing it IMO.

Rage is passion. Passion means strong emotion. Rage is a strong emotion. In law, we use “crime of passion” to mean a crime that was not thought out, but was impulsive as a result of rage.

And yes, using that term indeed “minimizes” it. Because it should. A crime of passion is a lesser crime in the majority of jurisdictions than one carefully and coldly planned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam