Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wish we could go away from this narrative: they were in a long-term relationship. They BOTH worked on the van. They BOTH put money and sweat into it because they lived together and (IM ASSUMING) pooled resources like almost every other couple does, especially when you’re young and broke. They BOTH drove it. They BOTH lived in it. This isn’t a casual friendship where he stole the keys and took off. My husband and I have cars in each of our names but they’re OUR cars. We’d never say “don’t drive my car, it’s mine.” We are so hyper focused on him stealing her car when it’s clear it was theirs; regardless of the title.

It absolutely was not his van.

i 100% agree. Makes the most sense to me. I think he told them he got dumped etc and they were in protective mode (all until Gabby is reported missing I see why they would believe him. Especially if they fought all the time like they did in Moab)

I still can’t get over the idea that people think the FBI is just searching this area using massive amounts of resources just for the heck of it while BL is somewhere else. We are talking about the FBI!
The planned weekend over the holiday does make sense but why then ignore the calls and texts from GP’s family expressing concern that they can not get in contact with either Gabby or Brian? If they are under the impression Gabby is fine, I can’t think of a logical reason to ignore them, even Brian’s sister would not return texts sent on Sept. 10th.

Guys you don't have announce that someone is a murder suspect for them to be a murder suspect. At this point I think it is clear that LE wants to put their hands on BL. I have 0 doubt that he will be arrested for murder as soon as they touch him.

Absolutely nothing in the world would change if they announce he is the suspect in this murder. Like there's no change in status, change in resources. It could just antagonize him if he is in fact alive somewhere. So I don't see why they would do that rather than focus on finding him alive if possible.
That is certainly possible. I do not know what advantages LE have in naming him a murder suspect and putting out such notice. They might have more teeth in questioning parents and anyone who know him. I do not know the law about this distinction between being a Missing person snd a declared Murder suspect with warrant out for arrest.

One does have to wonder how long they continue this....
I hope he is found. However, at some point resources will indeed be scaled back unless they are finding signs he is actively moving around within the reserve. JMO
Yup, we've certainly seen that happen before. They've devoted a tremendous amount of resources to this, and there are cost and manpower factors.

I can't imagine this can go on for much longer. I'm just curious how strong the intelligence is that he is in fact there, and what percentage of the area they have covered.

i wish we could go away from this narrative: they were in a long-term relationship. They BOTH worked on the van. They BOTH put money and sweat into it because they lived together and (IM ASSUMING) pooled resources like almost every other couple does, especially when you’re young and broke. They BOTH drove it. They BOTH lived in it. This isn’t a casual friendship where he stole the keys and took off. My husband and I have cars in each of our names but they’re OUR cars. We’d never say “don’t drive my car, it’s mine.” We are so hyper focused on him stealing her car when it’s clear it was theirs; regardless of the title.

agreed!

IMO, he killed her right after this. This was the day Gabby had enough of his bullying, misogynist behavior. IMO, watching him verbally attack these women triggered something in her. The fact that she went back in to apologize for his behavior? And he knew she was ashamed of him?

That would do it.

MOO.

Absolutely, this event at the restaurant could have been too much for Gabby and an argument with BL could have ensued ending in her demise. (In my opinion)

100% He’s either a suspect or a target and there’s an arrest warrant waiting for him.

They’re not going to throw all of these resources at some guy who just has tangential information and isn’t a suspect. What would be their endgame, a wellness check? Nope, they’re seriously after him.

I saw Judge Jeanne Pirro talking about this last night or this morning. She said once someone is Officially declared a Suspect, a whole cascade of Legal step and procedures need to go into motion. She implied that LE is in no rush to declare him "officially" just yet.

But he returned with her van!!

I’m not saying that isn’t suspicious! But from their point of view that van was theirs (gabby and Brian’s) they both worked on it, put time into it, drove it and lived in it. It was also registered to the Laundrie’s home, no? Yes the title was in her name technically but I’m sure people who knew them saw it as theirs. And who knows what crazy story he told his parents! “She broke up with me again and ran off with a guy! She’s awful! She hurt me so badly! Now i have this stupid van and i don’t know what to do!” I’m not saying it’s believable, the truth, makes sense, none of that. But it could have happened. We DONT KNOW.

It’s going to be very difficult to prove IMO, unless they have something that ties him to to the moment she died.
Need not tie to the "moment" he died. Tying to the cause of her death would suffice for culpability. Circumstantial evidence is also evidence, btw.

Losing his memory is just a theory. Traumatic events can certainly cause people to black out periods of time. The memory loss would explain some of the odd actions of both him and his parents. It may be a stretch, but I find it an interesting line of thought.

But losing memory for traumatic events is something that happens to victims, not assailants.

Someone (not at all saying BL) could be in some form of psychosis & temporarily lose their awareness of their actions, but that is a very different mechanism, & it comes back when/if stabilized. It's very rare--it's the kind of thing that occurs with the insanity defense.

I work in a memory clinic, testing memory loss. Loss of memory from anything other than a traumatic brain injury, stroke, dementia, etc., is very, very rare, & would be especially unusual for a young person outside of any of these essentially medical events (edit to add: or sometimes in the case of having PTSD from being victimized/a witness). JMO.

It’s going to be very difficult to prove IMO, unless they have something that ties him to to the moment she died.

Even scratches and blood under the fingernails might not do it. They have a document history of marking each other and then going on with their trip. I hate to keep saying it, but there is a ready made defense provided by the friend, Rose. She said she often would come stay at her house after they had a fight. 7-10 times she said. She was supposedly planning to meet them soon. GP was supposed to call her on the 27th to arrange it.

So a defense could be, unless there is something strong to tie him to it, is that they had a huge fight. He wanted to get away so they could both "calm down" (something else he has a documented history of saying he did when they fought). He was going to go on an overnight hike and leave her to work on the channel. She didn't like that. Things were said. She told him she was sick of the whole vanlife thing. That if he went on the hike she was leaving him. That she was going to go stay with her friend (or that her friend was on the way). He can claim that when she came back she was gone so he thought she followed through on something she has done 7-10 times before.

But juries need reasonable doubt, not any possible theoretical doubt.
SBM, yes, THANK YOU, again. Decades of fictional law and order type TV shows I think have led millions of people to think any doubt at all is good enough to vote not guilty. Sure, it's "possible" that GP hit her head and died accidentally and BL panicked and [insert lengthy, improbable series of possible events to make him seem innocent of any wrongdoing]. It's "possible" that extraterrestrials landed on top of GP's head and killed her and hey, you can't prove they didn't! But those doubts aren't reasonable, and reasonable doubt is our standard.

I agree,
BUT it makes me wonder why he would even bother coming back, retaining a lawyer, and be with his parents before leaving to off himself. i mean maybe he just wanted one last time with them but if he was suicidal why bother with a lawyer and why would the parents just let him leave knowing something was up enough to ignore Gabby's parents calls.
There's no telling what BL may have told his parents re why Gabby is not back home -- She met someone and left me, I'm hurting; she wants some time alone out there, she expects me to return to pick her up next week, and I got homesick, blah-de-blah-de-blah.

Date of death Sept. 19th??? Is this real???
Yes..legally that is the date.
If you sign a death certificate you note that' time of death' , meaning time a person is officially 'pronounced legally dead' by a licensed medical person. I have signed several days after death even though it's quite evident they passed days before.

Not in law. You have to have the intention to permanently deprive them of it.
Also where is evidence that permission not given? If I borrow a car from someone and that person dies while I’m using it, I don’t believe I can get convicted of car theft if there is no evidence of permission one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam