Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! Fox News is reporting "Investigation into Moab Police handling of DV stop"
IMOO So now Police , in addition to everything else, must be responsible for Mental Health conditions leading to Domestic Abuse??

Not sure why that would be your response. LEO are supposed to be trained to assess situations. Given situations where they are called always involve humans, yes, they are supposed to be able to make some inferences about a person's state of mind and dynamics among those involved (in fact, that is what they do all day, everyday). It is part and parcel of the job.

If they do not, don't know how, or aren't trained in a particular dynamic that is a major portion of LE presence/intervention, then there is clearly some gap (in training, assignment, or personal approach) that should be addressed.

Tons of people subject to police intervention lie, obfuscate, attempt to exercise power of a sort, etc. It is LE's job to evaluate the situation. Their hands are not tied to making a superficial assessment or taking people's words for it.

In fact, UT law requires that certain information and support be provided to DV victims, so assessment must be done.

It also appears that there was some discussion among the officers about what should be done (and the park ranger evidently pulled GL aside specifically to discuss help/opportunity for her as a DV victim), so there was at least some consideration that (even absent the information from the 911 call stating that BL was hitting GL in broad daylight, which absolutely should have been relayed and taken very seriously) the real situation was not just a fist-bump over a "crazy girlfriend."

For whatever reason, the consensus decision was taken to treat BL as a DV victim and GL as the abuser. No, they are not expected to be perfect, but those with a solid understanding of common DV dynamics reasonably (and correctly) read that whole interaction very differently than how it was summed up in the police report.

Given that it appears that the police assessment was incorrect, the reasonable conclusion is that there may be additional work (training, protocol, processes, etc.) needed so that LE is appropriately equipped to evaluate domestic issues. It may also be that some changes need to be made to ensure that responding LE have all the relevant information reasonably available to them. Perhaps better communication across agencies/jurisdictions to ensure adequate information flow is needed. Or maybe all these things were in place, but in some ways protocol/best practice wasn't followed.

It is not insulting or unfair or unusual for a mistake in any system to generate an investigation. Most organizations (in general, not speaking to LE in particular) also have built-in compliance mechanisms that routinely evaluate how events and situations are handled, regardless of outcome. Compliance and risk management, audit (internal and external), and even third-party review of how tasks are performed/issues are resolved is how you ensure a system functions. And when something big goes wrong or missed, there absolutely is or should be an investigation and review of every step of the actions taken.

I'm thinking/hoping the worst thing to happen to these officers who made the stop, is that one officer's wife being angry with him for the way he spoke about her. They for sure do not deserve to lose their jobs. This just what I think, I have not read anywhere that is a possibility.
I think that they probably have learned a lesson and feel badly about being duped by BL. They clearly did not understand why Gabby was so upset and apologetic. That she was afraid of repercussions from BL. That is to say, I hope they learned a lesson. jmo SOMETIMES old dogs can learn new tricks.

I'm thinking/hoping the worst thing to happen to these officers who made the stop, is that one officer's wife being angry with him for the way he spoke about her. They for sure do not deserve to lose their jobs. This just what I think, I have not read anywhere that is a possibility.

I think there should be a thorough investigation into whether these officers followed training protocols and handled the situation as they are trained and expected to. I suspect if this does happened, they will be reprimanded accordingly. This isn't going after cops or blaming them for her death. I simply believe that law enforcement should be investigated when their conduct with the public is not up to par. It is my hope that they are not only disciplined according to their department's process, but that this call is used in future training for what NOT to do.

WOW! Fox News is reporting "Investigation into Moab Police handling of DV stop"
IMOO So now Police , in addition to everything else, must be responsible for Mental Health conditions leading to Domestic Abuse??

I am glad to hear this, for we all know that had MoabPD done its job correctly, Gabby would still be alive today.
1) Dispatch apparently did not inform the responding police abut the 911 report which reported Brian was slapping Gabby in public.
2) Despite seeing bruises and cuts on both Brian and Gabby, Moab PD did not take them to the nearest hospital for a full body examination, which may have revealed more evidence of DV hidden by clothing. Also it would have provided Gabby with more of a chance to tell someone what Brian had been doing to her.
3) They did not arrest Gabby despite their investigation concluding she was the aggressor. Had they arrested her, she may be alive to this day.

The investigation should just be to correct procedures, not to discipline or ruin anyone's career. Buts lets stop trying to pretend MoabPD did not blow the last chance to save Gabby's life.

I don't know. Last time I felt this way was the day before I logged on and found out they'd identified "Lyle Stevick." Another time it was when they found Morgan Harrington's remains. It's not like regular anxiety. Very odd.

p.s. I don't think it's psychic or anything. Just picking up on moods. Or more likely coincidence.

I feel that way too but I think it’s probably wishful thinking and exhaustion with the case on my part.

I don't know the answer to #2, but as per the FBI search warrant (Details revealed about search warrant of Laundrie home page 4, line item 3), her phone was through T-Mobile.
Thank you! According to these online reviews, T-Mobile gets the worst reception of any within that campground, sometimes no service at all. You can scroll on the right side and check it out for all the campground sites. I do know some cell towers were added in the last year to Grand Teton NP, in general, for better coverage, so we need to focus on the recent phone reviews.
Spread Creek Dispersed Campsite #6 Reviews updated 2021

Agree...some training in boundaries would be helpful. :)

I think there should be a through investigation into whether these officers followed training protocols and handled the situation as they are trained and expected to. I suspect if this does happened, they will be reprimanded accordingly. This isn't going after cops or blaming them for her death. I simply believe that law enforcement should be investigated when their conduct with the public is not up to par. It is my hope that they are not only disciplined according to their department's process, but that this call is used in future training for what NOT to do.
I agree, and regardless of the outcome, additional training is needed. Just like the FAA tries to determine the causes and possible modifications when there is a plane crash, when there is an adverse outcome like this, we should expect there to be some investigation and a consideration of a revision of best practices.

We ask a lot of LE. It may be time to consider adding trained social workers to the mix in emergency responses to DV incidents. JMO.

Why? Its not like anyone is reluctant to report any info. The only one reluctant is BL

If anything upping the reward to 100k will bring all the scammers out of the woodwork
True, though I never underestimate the capacity for many people to be very, very attached to minding their own business even when they do solidly know something, absent an affirmative, material reward for doing otherwise.

Is it just me or am I missing the point of continuing to search this swamp? If it's 75% just watery swamp, it's not conducive to BL hiding out in this type of condition.

He would be on dry land (imo) he's not a fish or water animal. Unless they are looking for a body possibly?

I agree. Let the officers in question take extra training. BUT, keep in mind they separated them for a cooling off period. GP chose to go back to him, as often happens.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I agree with that. Instead of him being the victim there, maybe she was hitting him in self-defense or to stop him from doing that and leaving her there. Yes, and they did ignore his driving 30 miles over the speed limit and not pulling over.

The officer didn't exactly ignore him driving over the limit.

He actually asked sarcastically something like: Did she also press down on the pedal as she was grabbing the wheel?

- not exact words.

His first instincts were correct.

The police in Moab could have done a better job. When one of them commiserates with the man about “crazy females” and what they are capable of, it’s time for some retraining. Obviously, the real victim is Gabby, not BL. He was never in danger of being murdered by her, but turns out, she was the one in mortal danger. The police have a difficult job to do, but they appear to have not done their best that day. IMO

It's a tough call, it's not only training one but they need yearly refresher courses, if not more frequently. All of that is gonna cost bucks, that's money law enforcement agencies aren't likely to have budgeted anytime soon.

That said not sure what they could have done besides arresting Gabby, there aren't gonna arrest, somebody, over a 911 report unless they get independent verification. But weren't these first 2 on the scene just park rangers? it seemed like they came were the ones initially that approached this the wrong way.

Bracelets-in-honor-of-Gabby.jpg

It represents Gabby. Remember to celebrate and enjoy life and not be sad,” Petito’s mother Nicole Schmidt said.

When WFLA Now’s JB Biunno asked the family what they’d like the world to know about the bracelets and it’s significance to their memory of their daughter, they replied, “Live every day like it’s your last.”

While the bracelets are currently being shared with those closest to the family, Schmidt says “We’d love the whole world to wear them!”
Gabby Petito’s mom makes bracelets in daughter’s honor, says ‘celebrate and enjoy life’ | WFLA
Eta:The Shine a Light for Gabby fundraiser and vigil was set up earlier in the week. Community members have been making $20 donations in exchange for lights that they can put on their doorsteps and driveways.
The organizer says she wants the Petito and Schmidt families to know that there isn't a door in the community that they can't knock on during their time of grief.
The Shine a Light fundraiser is not the only way the Long Island community plans on honoring Petito.
Nearby, football players in the Patchogue-Medford School District will wear teal wristbands and dedicate their games to her this weekend. Those coming to watch the games are also asked to wear teal.
In Selden tonight, a vigil is planned at the Home Depot shopping center on Middle Country Road. The organizer said they're expecting over 1,000 people to attend.
Long Islanders band together to hold memorials in honor of Gabby Petito

"The organizer says she wants the Petito and Schmidt families to know that there isn't a door in the community that they can't knock on during their time of grief."
I Love this.

I've had so much trouble keeping up! Gabby's thread is on fire.

The bracelets Gabby's Mom is making are such a sweet memorial.

Prayers for Gabby's family.

Me Too! It's impossible to keep up and read all the great comments of the websleuther's here. I have never completed one thread yet in almost 2 weeks. It took me nearly a week to even make a comment of my own.

So you are not alone......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member