Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I cannot figure out how Brian was permitted to burble on at that road side official stop. He launched straight into her problems, and the male coppers stood round nodding, didn't one of the coppers sympathise with Brian, his own wife apparently suffering from some similar problem, ? I was gobsmacked by the fact that they even knocked knuckles with him at the end, what the actual (*#$@>!!! was that all about??

I saw the exact same things. I don't think anything will come of the investigation though other than maybe some further training. In this case it would not have mattered regardless because the two were separated but then got back together the next day and probably started arguing again. I just don't get how they acted like they were on the verge of breaking up and yet told the police that they loved each other and still wanted to be together. At least BL said that. I don't think Gabby did.

Anybody know anything about the main type of law their lawyer practices and who his other clients may be? I read that they are old friends, so relationship goes back to when they lived in NY. Surprising that they haven't retained a lawyer with FEDeral criminal practice, but then, maybe they have. jmo
He is primarily a real estate lawyer but has done criminal defense. A weird mix, IMO.

LOL! It depends on one's viewpoint. Is he suicidal and in mental crisis? Is he terrified of the "Real" killer or killers and hiding from them? Is he innocent and "in fear for his life from retribution by an angry public"?
A lawyer can say anything...and the prosecution has to prove it wrong.

Obligatory IANAL, but the prosecution has the burden of proof insofar as they have to affirmatively prove to a jury that the defendant committed the offense(s) at hand. The defense can propose alternate theories but the prosecution is under no legal obligation to prove them wrong—it’s logically impossible to prove a negative (hence why you can only be found ‘not guilty’ and not ‘innocent’).

LOL! It depends on one's viewpoint. Is he suicidal and in mental crisis? Is he terrified of the "Real" killer or killers and hiding from them? Is he innocent and "in fear for his life from retribution by an angry public"?
A lawyer can say anything...and the prosecution has to prove it wrong.

Yeah, you never know. They were blogging or posting there entire trip for everyone to see and know where they were.

IMO BL is not an experienced outdoorsperson. He's a wannabe.
In general, I don't trust the term "expert hiker", especially when it is proclaimed by family or friends. Invariably, when there's a missing hiker sleuthed on WS, the hiker will be described as "experienced". Looking briefly over their situation and history, they never seem to be.
IMO unfortunately in this case, there is hype about BL being a "skilled outdoorsman", when that's his self-presentation. It may well mislead a search.
Let's keep in mind that, far from heading into the wild blue yonder, BL drove home to momma, and he seems to have needed parental support to (maybe) take to the outdoors. I have a feeling he's in someone's cabin.
Looking at the calendar, when would BL even have learned any outdoor skills? He graduated from HS maybe 3 years ago? Then he worked at Piggly Wiggly, correct? And in their 2 weeks annual vacation (or whatever meager amount it is), he's turning himself into a "skilled outdoorsman"? Ummmmmm, no.

I don't know anyone who's an experienced hiker call themselves an "expert hiker". I' not sure they'd call themselves "experienced", either, now that I think of it. I'd never call myself that. IME they're more likely to say they've had many experiences.

They worked at a Publix together. I agree with you, I don't believe he was a skilled outdoorsman to the extent it's been described either. I think he liked to brag about it because it gave him a certain persona for instagram and for this trip they were on. But they stayed in a van and a tent, which is not what "outdoorsmen" really do. And he hiked a lot, so what? Hiking is just walking. It's nothing so special. I don't believe the story that he lived in the woods for 3 months with just crackers for food. That guy? No. I don't buy it. Maybe he hiked a bit of the AT, but so what. So do thousands of people per year.

I used to watch a lot of "Naked and Afraid" and those people are survivalists, something I do not believe BL was at all. You have to take classes on all that's included in staying alive in the wilderness. It's not a talent or a self-identification, it's a skill set people have to learn. Did BL ever take survival classes? Maybe he did. Maybe I missed that discussion.

I don't think he's living in the nature preserve. I think he's in his Mom and Dad's attic.

IMO

Since it’s a *bit* on the quieter side tonight, I thought I’d ask something kind of random & not particularly new to the case, but which has been on my mind: does anyone else think it’s at all odd that Gabby (allegedly) posted an Instagram suite of pics captioned “Happy Halloween” in August? Holding a pumpkin. 2 months+ early? This seems like something that would have been prepped for her posting calendar in the near future.

Even if the place was a swamp and recreational area he could be dead from hiding out in the more remote areas where no one would spot him. In Louisiana, after hurricane Ida, a man was eaten by an alligator outside of his own home. They have killed the 500+ pound gator and found the man’s remains. So, it is plausible BL is dead in the swamp-hiking area. However, I don’t think the parents are acting like he’s gone, so maybe he’s not. MOO
Authorities confirm 12-foot long, 504-pound alligator DID kill Louisiana man after Hurricane Ida | Daily Mail Online

Nope. If—and this is a HUGE if—he was actually in that swamp, I believe he’s alligator poop. I’m still 50/50 on whether that’s where he is.
His parents and LE are acting like they believe he’s still alive; I’m holding out hope that that’s the case.

I would agree with the alligator poo. If alive, I don't think he's there. Might be nearby in another hiding spot watching.

If he left his phone and wallet to hide, I don't see any reason he would leave a car as the trail to where he is.

<modsnipped - quoted post was removed>

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is Brian Laundrie? Here is where John Walsh says tips lead

CHICAGO (NewsNation Now) — After receiving about 500 tips from viewers, John Walsh, host of “In Pursuit With John Walsh” on the Investigation Discovery network, believes he has narrowed down the list of possible locations Brian Laundrie could be.

“We had at least three times more phone calls than we’ve had on any fugitive.” Walsh said.

In just three seasons of his show, Walsh has helped authorities capture 26 fugitives and locate eight missing children. He covered the Gabby Petito investigation on his show this week.

“We haven’t had this much attention since Elizabeth Smart,” Walsh said.

Walsh said the tips he has received lead him to three possible locations: Mexico, the Bahamas and the Appalachian Trail.

Walsh’s theory, which he said some of his tips also point to, is that Laundrie’s father or parents drove him Northwest over the Florida Panhandle toward Mexico.

Not able to keep up with threads, but have to voice this random thought:

Really wishing whoever the first agent is going through his stuff when he's found comes across vital plastic (water bottle, reloadable gift card, apple watch etc) and looks at him and the plastic with serious disdain and makes snarky comments about it - especially something along the lines of "I saw on instagram you dont like plastic?! Why's this here?!" Throw in the social media reference, too, cause we all know he's all about the 'insta.'

Sorry, had to voice that. All JMO.

Obligatory IANAL, but the prosecution has the burden of proof insofar as they have to affirmatively prove to a jury that the defendant committed the offense(s) at hand. The defense can propose alternate theories but the prosecution is under no legal obligation to prove them wrong—it’s logically impossible to prove a negative (hence why you can only be found ‘not guilty’ and not ‘innocent’).
Also if we're talking about being a flight risk, there's no trail or jury for that. The state will ask for remand due to flight risk and judge will decide. It's not a trial for bail/bond. It's set fast by the judge.

the first amendment in the united states is kind of amazing. i don't think you could get away with this in Australia

John Walsh says Brian Laundrie should "off himself" | Banfield on NewsNation Now

That’s exactly what I was thinking tonight (in Canada). This would never get on air here, for better or worse. I have no sympathy for BL but telling someone over & over on air to “kill yourself” strikes me as possibly problematic?! He also accused the parents’ lawyer of being corrupt (quote from vid: “he’s aiding & abetting”), which seemed to me to be a bit libellous, but things are way more liberal there. Also: could this potentially be a death penalty case—as he says?

Interesting find searching....

The average time served for murder 2 is 5.9 years, which seem like what would have happed if he stayed there.

However, there is no such thing as murder 2 in federal court. It looks like it is just murder with points for determining the sentence.

I believe that GP and BL were in a toxic relationship for many years. I have read since high school. It's sad because they were so young. Could the parents break up the relationship? Absolutely not as they were both adults at age 18. You cannot tell or do anything with adult children even when you can see that it's all going down the rabbit hole. I think, yes BL killed GP in another fight. Sadly. Could it have been stopped? LE, DV stop? No. Parents? No. I talked with a journalist broadcaster and this person said BL is dead. Doesn't matter that he had time to do it whatever prior. He absolutely cannot survive that swamp in Florida, without serious training. MOO JMO
I agree with your assessment of their relationship. The trip just acerbated a longstanding problem.

I also agree that it's unlikely he's alive IF he was in the swamp for any length of time. I just don't believe he was there unless it was for just a few minutes to throw LE off track.

That may be so now, but a decent lawyer citing BL's clean record (haven't heard of any previous convictions) could have the charge reduced and offer restitution, a fine and probation to the court. A plea deal. BL would be back home watching the lunacy surrounding him and eating granola bars in his bedroom.
But you are forgetting that he left his girlfriend who owned the van and the cards he used, dead in a field.

Just random thoughts here. It's going to get very expensive for someone (I assume Brian's parents) to meet the attorney in Orlando. The attorney is going to get a lot of billing hours in, flying from NY to Orlando and back again. And for what? A 30 minute meeting according to this link. The Orlando meeting really has me curious. All MOO, of course.

Brian Laundrie's parents shadowed by undercover agents on 150-mile trek to meet attorney
My block—a 45-minute drive from Blue Point, where Gabby was from—was lit up with candles tonight in her memory. She has been the lead story in our local news for close to 2 weeks. BL will not be welcome here. Edit: MOO

That’s exactly what I was thinking tonight (in Canada). This would never get on air here, for better or worse. I have no sympathy for BL but telling someone over & over on air to “kill yourself” strikes me as possibly problematic?! He also accused the parents’ lawyer of being corrupt (quote from vid: “he’s aiding & abetting”), which seemed to me to be a bit libellous, but things are way more liberal there. Also: could this potentially be a death penalty case—as he says?
I was struck, ( here in Australia , which has the death penalty for treason, only ) that someone very very silly murdered Gabby in Wyoming, a death penalty state. When he could have driven on a little bit to North Dakota and murdered her for 20 years in the clink.

Which brings me to the part where it seems this was a hurried murder. No one buried her, she could have been missing for decades, centuries. She was not dismembered, which would make it hard to identify her. I think even her clothes remained on her, with their tags , .

Whatever it was, he struck out in a high temper, in a murderous rage and then ran , but not before lifting her debit card.. a bloke has to have some way to stock up on the twinkies. But he was in a hurry.

That may be so now, but a decent lawyer citing BL's clean record (haven't heard of any previous convictions) could have the charge reduced and offer restitution, a fine and probation to the court. A plea deal. BL would be back home watching the lunacy surrounding him and eating granola bars in his bedroom.

Sounds like an odd scenario to me. Do you have any (remotely) similar examples where this has happened? What was the jurisdiction? Federal or state? Which state?

What kind of federal plea deal would this be, that would result in such a mild sentence? Truly curious if you can cite a single similar case. IANAL, but I do study legal history and am curious. Anyone else? Can anyone think of some? (There must be a few, somewhere...I'm just curious what the factual matters were behind those cases).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan