Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes on black friday and other “deal” days, you see promos where either it’s only the larger size that gets a discount, bringing it down to cheaper/the same price as a smaller one, or the savings percentage is greater on the larger drive. It makes it a “no- brainer” (IMO! I’ve done it xD) to go a bit larger and hopefully not end up needing to buy another one when standard video resolutions make file sizes that bit larger again or you just run out of space, or at least not for a good few years.
This and videos take a lot of space. It fills up quickly. I agree, you probably wouldn’t fill it up in a 4-month trip, but if it was me, I’d buy it for more than the trip. MOO.

My thought was he was trying to buddy up to BL to see if he might slip up and say something incriminating. Also, has it been confirmed that these LE had connected this couple as the same one from the 911 call (reporting that he was slapping her)? Seems like there were two separate reports, and last I read it seemed like they were responding to the latter of the two. Just trying to put it all together.

It’s confusing. I think the first LEO pulled them over for erratic driving, speeding, etc. He began the interview. Then a second LEO arrives about three and a half minutes later, and he appears to have been apprised of a DV call. HTH.

1) People who picked him up hitchhiking said he seemed panicked (my words)
And him getting the van and driving straight home makes me think he was scared. (fleeing to safety of home)

2) planning prior to killing? (million dollar question). If he did, I doubt he thought he would be so scared/panicked. (If I am right in #1)

3) If there was planning involved after, I don't think he would have been so scared. (If I am right with my answer to #1). Nor would he have used her bank card. Nor would he kill her on federal land (unless he is just a total idiot). And no need to run home if pre planned. (had to go home to figure out what to do now...)

4) It could all mean he lost control or it was accidental? Could have been both.

very good questions!!!

All excellent points. I don't think it was accidental, but I don't think it was premeditated either

It sounds like they have narrowed down the search area. Didn't they do a line search yesterday? Maybe they found evidence pointing to his being in that area. JMO
Would they use fewer people if they thought they were entering a very specific location where, let's say, they thought they would find a body? Fewer people to disturb the area for further investigation?

My thought was he was trying to buddy up to BL to see if he might slip up and say something incriminating. Also, has it been confirmed that these LE had connected this couple as the same one from the 911 call (reporting that he was slapping her)? Seems like there were two separate reports, and last I read it seemed like they were responding to the latter of the two. Just trying to put it all together.
I cannot get on board with that. IMO it was very unprofessional and misogynistic.

My husband is totally "in" to the van life thing - or at least the idea of it. We bought a cargo van a few years ago that he outfitted with a nice bunk bed and a little kitchen area. It's very cute/cool and I can handle camping in it for about two days, but that's it - it's way too claustrophobic for me. I can't imagine going on a cross country trip in that small of a space - I'm sure we would be fighting a lot.
We went for the entire month of June, our family of four. We LOVED it and will probably semi-retire that way.

We quasi roughed it, as I imagine many do, camping, sleeping in the van, and being a VIP on priceline for super cheap hotels.

My husband is out in our old conversion van as I write this, piddling with the never-ending converting of something or another.

With the increase in zoom as opposed to ftf meetings, I will say one of our lessons learned is that wifi and cell service is very unpredictable. Bandwidth-even in hotels, especially campgrounds-made working from the road quite difficult for me more often than I expected. Next time, we will include the necessary items to be more self-sufficient in this regard. I wondered if Gabby and Brian included this in their van setup....

If not, I can completely understand why Gabby's online work/ communications seemed intermittent sometimes.

I think it was a dark fantasy he finally carried out. If you look at his drawings, books he read and his anger. They can point to a unstable, deranged person. Im not saying that everyone that reads dark literature is a type of sociopath. Some just dont know reality from fantasy.

I respectfully disagree. I do not believe for one minute that - if he did kill GP - it was premeditated in any way.

He and GP were in a pressure cooker environment being confined to that tiny van, each gradually losing tolerance with the other for whatever reasons.

If GP got upset or stressed it appeared she would cry, lash out, smack and scratch (as documented in the police stop footage, and admitted by her and confirmed by BL and a separate witness to police).

If BL got upset he would try to distance himself from her, create space between them and reason with her. I believe on the police stop footage it was described by him as him saying for her to take a "time out".

Whilst we don't know if this was the pattern each and every time they had an argument, it does make me wonder what happened when BL was in a position where he couldn't physically create that distance from her, or there wasn't space for a time out. Where was his outlet for that anger and frustration?

If he'd been bottling it all this time throughout their roadtrip then it's an absolutely tenable premise that he did snap and retaliate.

There has been criticism on here of people using the word 'snapped' - almost as if it's being used to try and defend or justify BL's actions. It's not, at all, and if that is what happened and what caused BL to attack GP, then his actions are neither justified or excusable whatsoever.

I'm just trying to think of the WHYs this may have happened, because I do not believe he set out to kill her.

What would be the motive!?

MOO

A good defense attorney will show lots of proof he was allowed by Gabby and her family to use that card.
They both lived and traveled as a couple. They shared everything!

If Gabby's intent was truly to 'share everything' with BL, his name would have been on the vehicle title, the vehicle insurance (there's been no proof offered that he is listed as a rated or occasional driver on the insurance), or as an approved user on the credit card.
I speculate that she wisely kept his name off the two items that she needed if she were ever to make a clean break from BL; her vehicle and her credit card.

The friend contradicts the headline with her own words "Yes, he is. If he’s still alive"

Petito’s best friend, Rose Davis, 21, told People, “He is out in the wilderness, I assure you.” “He’s out there somewhere,” says the narrator. Yes, he is. If he’s still alive, he’s camping out… For months, he lived alone in the Appalachians.”

Sorry if this has been discussed, but is the hard drive that was taken as evidence definitely an external from the van? If so, that’s a strike against premeditated, right? I find it hard to believe there isn’t at least some raw footage on there that would capture moments of tension that he wouldn’t want others to see, so he’d dump it ASAP.

It appears that GP was filming / controlling / cataloging / editing the media. Management of any media is a big job, especially without a lot of experience. Video is even more cumbersome to catalog, review & edit than photos. There could be A LOT on that hard drive that BL never saw. Evidence?

One thing I’d like to mention about the strange texts and social media posts/captions etc… I think that they could’ve been sent/posted by Brian, even while Gabby was still alive.

I think they could’ve had an argument over the phone and he could have taken her phone from her and been in possession of it. (Not out of the question imho due to the reports that he’d taken her phone previously, and her ID etc).

For example (throwing out random scenarios here but just to show the type of phone related arguments I am referring to):
  • Maybe BL thought that GP was spending too much time being performative for social media and not focusing enough on the nature/the reality
  • Maybe they were arguing about something unrelated and she kept checking her phone because she was getting texts/calls and he took her phone because she wasn’t paying attention to him
  • Maybe BL saw GP texting her friend Rose about planning a call to meet up in Yellowstone, and got angry about that, given their past history
  • Or some other type of fight revolving around the phone
Maybe she’s yelling at him “my grandpa keeps calling let me at least tell my mom to get to him!” and brian instead responds for her calling her grandpa Stan.

Think of this, too:

Maybe her Instagram posts on 8/12 were posted during the day from Moonflower, prior to the DV incident. Those captions are edited and people have pointed out the wording is suspicious and seems written by him. Instagram shows they were edited around the same time they were posted, not weeks after. Maybe he was going back and editing her Instagram captions that day because he thought they were bad, he thought he could do the whole social media vanlife thing better than her, and was really putting her down about it. Maybe that spurred the incident where he was being “so mean” and where he said she “couldn't do the social media stuff successfully” (paraphrasing her words from the bodycam footage and witness report).

Just a thought. It’s possible he had possession of her phone or had a big impact on what she was writing on Instagram etc, even when she was alive in the weeks prior. Maybe not all the time, but definitely could be that she did not have personal control over her devices at all times. Maybe things were really ugly in the days leading up to her death and he was isolating her with holding her phone and basically stranding her with him. I would be terrified if that happened and I had no way to reach anyone, and would’ve been super frustrated that I couldn’t control my own narrative on Instagram etc.

(I will say, she also could’ve edited the Instagram captions just to change wording herself. I edit my WS posts to correct my wording at times, or correct a typo. Edits are not necessarily nefarious. But the wording and themes and specific call-outs to him make me think it’s possible he did write those, even though she was alive when they were edited (as shown by insta edit history timestamps) and maybe that type of controlling behavior was happening often).

Even if people aren’t convinced he was regularly physically abusive, it seems from multiple accounts that he was emotionally abusive and did this in a way that was difficult for him or Gabby to perceive as such, that he saw it / explained it away as being protective/helpful/knowing better, hence her being apologetic for being “in a bad mood” and taking the blame for overreacting, when he was actively burning a fire of despair and low self-esteem in her. And trying to gain back one’s independence with a person that is determined to control and undermine you, can get ugly….

Last edited:
This and videos take a lot of space. It fills up quickly. I agree, you probably wouldn’t fill it up in a 4-month trip, but if it was me, I’d buy it for more than the trip. MOO.
Agree. I'm not saying she/they shoulda had a RAID array or something. I'm more "surprised?(?) that there was a single somewhat large drive rather than two smaller ones. If you aspire to enter that world, that data is your life. it needs to be protected with as much certainty as possible. But, of course, there's no hard & fast rules in that regard.

In my opinion.
The parents will not be charged with anything.
It does not matter what they knew or didn't Know. They will never tell and they have a right to keep their mouth shut. I won't speculate on their character.
BL will be found, close to home, or somewhere he is familiar with. I don't think he will be camping out.
I believe it is unlikely, he will say anything once he is arrested. Ever!
I believe they will have plenty of evidence to connect him to the crime from the scene, the van, the electronics, and so fourth.
Most people go through life oblivious to there surroundings. Someone posted earlier about how easy it is to hide in plain site. I agree, but in this case, I believe there are enough people out there right not being hypervigilant that someone will spot him.
I believe there is a slim chance he will turn himself in, but a chance none the less.
As for his mental state. I won't speculate on rather or not he has some condition. Some people are just evil.

I hope you are wrong about the parents. They don't have to talk for LE to gather evidence against them. I do hope LE gathers enough info to encourage them to cooperate or face Federal charges.

If Gabby's intent was truly to 'share everything' with BL, his name would have been on the vehicle title, the vehicle insurance (there's been no proof offered that he is listed as a rated or occasional driver on the insurance), or as an approved user on the credit card.
I speculate that she wisely kept his name off the two items that she needed if she were ever to make a clean break from BL; her vehicle and her credit card.

JMOO--too often couples who are not married intend to share everything but they never get around to the details. We bought a house at auction where the man had died in a car accident and his live-in girlfriend of 30 years was denied the chance to take over the mortgage payments in her name. It was a sad situation and we gave her plenty of time to leave but she said they'd always meant to get around to it.

A couple as young as BL and GP may have thought the same thing. JMOO

I respectfully disagree. I do not believe for one minute that - if he did kill GP - it was premeditated in any way.

He and GP were in a pressure cooker environment being confined to that tiny van, each gradually losing tolerance with the other for whatever reasons.

If GP got upset or stressed it appeared she would cry, lash out, smack and scratch (as documented in the police stop footage, and admitted by her and confirmed by BL and a separate witness to police).

If BL got upset he would try to distance himself from her, create space between them and reason with her. I believe on the police stop footage it was described by him as him saying for her to take a "time out".

Whilst we don't know if this was the pattern each and every time they had an argument, it does make me wonder what happened when BL was in a position where he couldn't physically create that distance from her, or there wasn't space for a time out. Where was his outlet for that anger and frustration?

If he'd been bottling it all this time throughout their roadtrip then it's an absolutely tenable premise that he did snap and retaliate.

There has been criticism on here of people using the word 'snapped' - almost as if it's being used to try and defend or justify BL's actions. It's not, at all, and if that is what happened and what caused BL to attack GP, then his actions are neither justified or excusable whatsoever.

I'm just trying to think of the WHYs this may have happened, because I do not believe he set out to kill her.

What would be the motive!?

MOO
It was my impression that she liked things tidy and everything in its place while he was not organized in the least and could care less up to and including the dirty sandals. They had arguments over this many times and the VAN was her biggest prop for her lifestyle and NEEDED to be kept organized.

Also, according to the 911 calls he was slapping HER. IMO he was fed up with her nagging about something....likely the way he’d loaded the van as it was awful when the officers opened the back door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member