Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. I think in the coming years this bodycam video will be played to all new LE officers as part of their training on not what to do in such a situation.

I hope so. It makes me sick to know she was put into the back of a police vehicle like a criminal, threatened with arrest, and had to sit there and watch law enforcement get chummy and joke with her abuser.

It would be weeks before he got to the AT if he walked from North Port. Calculate roughly 100 miles per week for average, in shape, thru hiker. IMO BL is not in that kind of shape.
I was leaning toward that at the very beginning after he was reported missing. He would have been 60 to 80 miles out at the that time. Then with winter coming, then learned of the 3 day camping trip. He could be anywhere by now. I was just bouncing an idea around, wondered what someone else would think.

There are enough eyes on that trail dying to be the next informant!
Can you imagine what the reward money would do for a coven of thru hikers! And the southbounders (Maine to Georgia) will be in the south about now. Anyone who hikes north is going to be heading into the winds of STARVING thru-hikers with nothing better to do (other than putting one foot in front of another) than go full-on rumor mill and intel on a guy who obviously doesn't belong there. Those $$$$$k reward bucks never looked so good. FOOOOOOOD!

I'm trying to understand the relevance, now, about the body cam and what occurred during the alleged DV call.

GP was murdered. BL is the POI for the murder. Without knowing all the info LE encountered the day of the alleged DV, it is virtually impossible to piece together what occurred. The speculation is only limited by our imagination, experience and opinion. JMO

BL is missing. Finding BL is the priority at this point, IMO.
https://mobile.twitter.com/sara_ballou/status/1442212502993965059

I hope so. It makes me sick to know she was put into the back of a police vehicle like a criminal, threatened with arrest, and had to sit there and watch law enforcement get chummy and joke with her abuser.
Yep, it must have made her feel even worse about herself.
It is so heartbreaking, especially for her parents. IMO

I'm sorry if I missed it here...
I can't find the Facebook post by Gabby's mom with new pictures.
Has it been posted here?
Thanks.

Also, I do really respect the panel HLN puts together. Jean Cassaras has seen it all, and Joey Jackson has an incredible brilliant legal mind imo.

A few things tonight…

I have never thought BL was in the Preserve and yet LE has pulled out all the stops and have said their data and intelligence gathering has sent them here. I just can’t believe he’s in there.

I don’t think he would kill himself. He didn’t need to leave home to do that. He ran to hide. Period.

I don’t think he’s hiking. I think he’s going to pop up somewhere where we least expect him to go. If he’s still in Florida he’s more stupid than I thought.

I wonder what his end game is? What’s the plan? He can never go home. Does he have a fake ID? Will he work?

Gabby was a broken woman. She had been physically and emotionally abused. How I wish she had left him. I looked at a lot of pictures of their trip. Even though she was smiling, her eyes were puffy in many of the pics. Gabby did a lot of crying on that trip.

Agreed. Only they need to be more careful about being on the right side of justice when they are involved in one of "society's problems." You can be pro-LE and still demand review of a call with the goal being systemic improvement. Change for the better has to start somewhere.

These particular male officers should be willing to hold themselves accountable to learn and grow for the benefit of the next DV call they have to carefully parse. Their job is tough. That doesn't mean all their decisions are unassailable. Don't become a cop if you don't want to have to justify your actions & learn from your mistakes. That is part of the job.
MOO
I agree. And beyond gaining a realistic understanding of DV, its many forms, and how the parties involved behave when LE arrives that may or may not be reflective of the reality of circumstances, there is another matter in the LE response that troubles me. (And I am generally pro-LE and recognize that they have a very difficult job and that encounters can be dangerously unpredictable.)

IMO, at least two of the officers involved in that response - the original responding officer who first stopped the two at the side of the road and the female park ranger - did not appear to me to be fully in agreement that GP was the abuser and BL the victim. But, they nevertheless allowed that to appear to be the consensus of the officers present.

There are currently officers in Minneapolis facing charges for going along with the officer on scene who pushed forward with his own response in a way that likely differs from what those officers would have chosen.

We don't know cause of death for GP nor how the case involving GP's murder will play out if and when BL is located; however, if BL is found and charged and he claims that he killed GP in self-defense, there is now a police report from not long before GP's death that identified GP as a domestic abuser or at least as so mentally and emotionally unstable that she presented a danger to BL such that the two needed to be separated and BL needed to be provided a hotel room for his own protection. Those officers who permitted it to be formally documented there was consensus about that might well be called to testify about that supposed consensus professional LE opinion. If so, they will not only have assisted BL that afternoon, they may eventually assist his defense in the murder of GP.

When I see it mentioned that it was wrong for the LE that pulled them over to act chummy with BL during the stop, it clearly shows a lack of understanding of interrogation and investigations. It is the best method to get him to show his hand, so to speak. Tell false stories of dealing with women, become relatable, let him relax and say "yeah, I did slap her, you get it."

^^THIS. BBM.

It seems to me as if people are willy-nilly glossing over the fact that the officers absolutely did have a chance - which they took - to speak to both of Gabby and Brian separately.

"What else was she supposed to say with him standing right there?", well, AFAICT, she got as much physical separation as anyone else gets in the situation.

I know many like to think of this situation as an equation, where if we change either of Factors A or B, then we automatically get to Safe Space C.

I don't necessarily think this is true.

I'm sorry if I missed it here...
I can't find the Facebook post by Gabby's mom with new pictures.
Has it been posted here?
Thanks.

Also, I do really respect the panel HLN puts together. Jean Cassaras has seen it all, and Joey Jackson has an incredible brilliant legal mind imo.
There is a 30 minute video composite of photos, made by her family and is posted on the funeral home’s page. It was posted a few or more threads back and went up before her memorial started.

Has anyone been able to mention, if I missed it, about why the search warrant for the hard drive listed 8/31 as the signed date? Was that a typo and if so would that affect anything later in court or is that a small thing? Unsure of those details, does anyone know?

<modsnip>

A few things tonight…

I have never thought BL was in the Preserve and yet LE has pulled out all the stops and have said their data and intelligence gathering has sent them here. I just can’t believe he’s in there.

I don’t think he would kill himself. He didn’t need to leave home to do that. He ran to hide. Period.

I don’t think he’s hiking. I think he’s going to pop up somewhere where we least expect him to go. If he’s still in Florida he’s more stupid than I thought.

I wonder what his end game is? What’s the plan? He can never go home. Does he have a fake ID? Will he work?

Gabby was a broken woman. She had been physically and emotionally abused. How I wish she had left him. I looked at a lot of pictures of their trip. Even though she was smiling, her eyes were puffy in many of the pics. Gabby did a lot of crying on that trip.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Laundries are part-lecturing LE that they "have to" search for Brian thoroughly in the last place they said he was, or else it's irresponsible and they'll sue for endangering his life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following this whole circus for a while, and I think BL is indoors somewhere. My father was a real outdoorsman, and BL just doesn't look to me like he has the experience, the skills or the wherewithal to stay out in the rain and mosquitos and muck for very long, and I absolutely cannot see him bringing down a deer. I think he's somewhere with at least the comforts of the van -air conditioning / heating, clean bedding- with laundry services and other amenities nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ammereignw