Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve seen it posted many times about concern with LE’s response to BL regarding his own personal life with HIS wife. Am I the only one who sees that as a ruse to, possibly, extract a confession from BL?

No, I don't think you are the only one. I think that the officer was commiserating with BL, in an attempt to gain his confidence, and put him at ease to a point where he BL would begin to feel buddy-buddy with the officer, and inadvertently say something incriminating about the fight.

If someone had to go to jail that day, it would have been Gabby, and I don't think that the officer wanted to put a visibly upset young lady in jail overnight.

JMO

Well there was one thing. One of the male officers went up to Gabby towards the end of the body cam video and put words in her mouth. Something like, what should I tell him ... that you love him and look forward to seeing him tomorrow ? .... and she just looked miserable and nodded. {Edited to add - she also mentioned the phone charger after that, but the first part of that was not her own words]

Then the cop went over to BL and repeated those same words to him, "She has a message for you - she loves you and she looks forward to seeing you tomorrow" - but those were not HER words. Those were the COP's words. Maybe if he had let her actually talk and use her own words, they might not have actually reunited the next day. She maybe could have called her Mom an hour later, and maybe her Mom would have said "Things have gone too far, come home!" But after that message from the cop to BL, it was determined what would happen.

I was shocked that the cop actually put words in her mouth like that. Like he was dealing with a little girl who didn't have her own valid opinion.
Yes. but on one hand you say 'like she didn't have her own valid opinion' yet the LE gave her many many hours away from him to form her own valid opinion/s. You can't have it both ways. They didn't let them both go off together on their own merry way - even though they were both adults and entitled to do so. LE aren't babysitters or social workers. They deal with DV cases day in day out. Do you think they have the manpower to stake out every couple that have a fight - even though the majority of DV cases end up with no-one pressing charges. Oh what a beautiful world that would be - it would only take about 700 percent more Police Officers. Hindsight is so easy.

BBM.

Have they, though?

I think a lot of assumptions / accusations are being thrown around based on our perceptions of how they should be behaving in this situation.

Just because they're not chatting up a storm on major news networks to satisfy our curiosity doesn't mean they haven't been cooperative with LE.
LE has announced several time that they are not cooperating.

I can see it as both.... Maybe the LE isn't even married...so then i would I think it might be a tactic at the scene. In the car, I didn't see it as a way to get any intel from BL, the case was pretty much closed.
In the car… the cop wants to “deliver” the guy in as good a mood as possible so as not to have /cause a problem at destination.

If it is fabric that means they think they want to match fibres. If it is fibres we are likely taking about fine fibres found in an oesophagus. The alt is some fabrid was used by the parents to wrap some other item before collection.

You mean like they wrapped it in a kitchen towel or washcloth or something like that? That would make sense.

The audio appears to contradict earlier reports that the responding officers in Moab City, Utah were unaware of a call from a witness who claimed to have seen Laundrie slapping Petito in their white Ford transit van before driving off.

'RP (reporting party) states seeing a male hit a female, domestic,' the dispatcher told police at around 4.38pm local time, according to the audio, first obtained by Fox 13. 'He got into a white Ford Transit van, has a black ladder on the back, Florida plate.'

'Phone number is [redacted], name’s [redacted],' the dispatcher responds at 4:42 p.m. 'I’m not sure [inaudible], but the female who got hit, they both, the male and the female, both got into the van and headed north.'
Utah cops WERE told Brian Laundrie had 'hit' Gabby Petito before pulling couple over | Daily Mail Online

We don't know how it could have changed the trajectory if Gabby had been told that she was a victim of domestic violence. If she had been taken somewhere to talk with someone about what she'd been experiencing - she could have learned and gained insight. She may have called her friend, Rose, who has been quoted as saying that she was worried about his controlling behavior. She may have shared more specifics with her mother.

If you've been in a situation where you are constantly doubting your perceptions and have been minimizing your own concerns, but then have the confirmation of people in authority that you are, in fact, being abused -- it can absolutely change your perception of things and open your eyes.

No, we don't know that it would have prevented or changed the course of things but it would have given her more of a chance to look at her situation with the seriousness that it deserved.

Also, in the bigger picture - if the LE are doing this DV work properly, it is likely that more people will be informed and that societal perceptions can start to shift - it is a much bigger problem than people realize. Each interaction that can shed light on the issue for victims, abusers and the general public brings us all closer to preventing situations like this one.
Moab police - "You're going to come out of this like the golden flower."
She came out of it dead.
The thin blue line shouldn't be expected to solve all of society's problems. They already don't get paid enough for what they do.

A

Again, how often is that invoked??
What does "again" mean?

Is there anything saying it's not ever invoked or that it can't be? I know it is invoked my state because it almost happened to me for 30 mph over the speed limit in a spot where the step down was very sudden and I was deemed to be driving recklessly when I had been going just a small amount over the limit about 10 yards earlier. I have no way of knowing about Utah. I'd be interested in the information, though.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in hearing what the officers could have done to change the trajectory. When I think about it I can't envision what they could have done that would have stopped GP and BL from reuniting.
Jettson, I don't think they could have done anything that would have stopped them from reuniting either. But they were wrong is assigning the abuser label to Gabby and victim to BL (even given only the information they had on hand ~ not the background info we have now).
But, I have sadly just realized that even if they had 'sided' with Gabby and tried to protect her, when they reunited ~ I think BL would have held this against her too. As in ~ See you made me look bad again and got me in trouble! I think that's probably what the convo was after the mexican restaurant debacle. So, yes, they still would have reunited and the results would have probably been the same. But that doesn't mean LE didn't make a mistake and should take steps to improve.

Apparently reckless driving is Class B Misdemeanor in Utah.
Take a look at evading the cops, that's a doozy. IE when they are behind you and you go 3X the speed limit. But, hitting the curb was Gabby's fault, as she sensibly tried to get him to pullover. I wonder if hitting the curb would have been remarkable at 15 mph, the speed limit?

Yeah, I think digital evidence is going to play a large role. I expect it to show that he did in fact send texts pretending to be Gabby, and he was no where near Wyoming when he sent them.

We also don't know how and where she was killed, which also may produce compelling forensic evidence.

The longer this goes on though, the more concerned I am that this all becomes a moot point. I just hope he's alive.

And if the data also shows her phone was near his phone at the time of the fake texts, and it's determined it was at a time after her death, he's done.

Yes I thought that by the time he got back to his parent's home any possible scratches he received may have gone otherwise he could have worn clothes to cover them up. Otherwise, his parents would have wondered where he got them from. OR, he may have told his parents, "Look what Gabby did to me!"

They were also living in small quarters, engaging in terrain-based activities regularly as part of their lifestyle.

I don't think scratches / marks would have garnered much, if any, attention due to the lifestyle they were leading.

I’ve seen it posted many times about concern with LE’s response to BL regarding his own personal life with HIS wife. Am I the only one who sees that as a ruse to, possibly, extract a confession from BL?
Well.. :D... I really hadn't seen that. .. Coming from a different culture, where it's almost a rite of passage for men to smack a few women around, that perspective had escaped me, but I do pay tribute to it, it may very well have been, but added up with all the other stuff that those coppers did not take on board, it shines brightly as the only rational part among a lot of rubbish.

Brian himself did not appear at any time in that event to be at all discombobulated.. He was totally in control, and she was exhaustedly not . He had done the slapping and the speeding and hitting the kerb, that got them both standing in front of 2 large law officers.

But Brian.. long practiced in inserting his perspective first, he launched straight into Gabby's problem, she launched straight into Gabby's problem, he had to warn the officers quickly and effectively against the tide in case they were swayed by her gender, her beauty, her distress.. He has to quickly label her as craaaazy, in a delicate way, silly, slightly stupid, and giving the overall impression that it is HIS trip, HIS van His schedule, His finances, etc..

What Brian was, he was still in his euphoria from hitting her., It had probably built up for some days, ( he said they'd had a lovely morning, what does that mean in these circumstances?? did she have a lovely morning?? ) but to really have a lovely morning he had to slap her around. That crowned off his 'lovely morning'...

That is why he was so relaxed, and cool and coherent .. and why she was not.

I hadn't seen that info about groceries being delivered anywhere, it's quite possible I missed it.
Geez i'm wondering too...where are the neighbors when you need them to monitor stuff li ke this?? But some people have a lot of groceries and never need to run out too often. I'd also venture a guess that their appetites are on the blink at this point, food may not be the priority. But i found the milk fascinating as I wondered if he went out for another reason. JMO

No, I don't think you are the only one. I think that the officer was commiserating with BL, in an attempt to gain his confidence, and put him at ease to a point where he BL would begin to feel buddy-buddy with the officer, and inadvertently say something incriminating about the fight.

If someone had to go to jail that day, it would have been Gabby, and I don't think that the officer wanted to put a visibly upset young lady in jail overnight.

JMO

I suspect they didn't want to put either of the young people in jail, or book them. These are officers who may have sons and daughters of their own at home.
To have a record for DV at such a young age is not good. Not for Gabby. Not for BL. IMO many young people are let go, in many situations, with a warning.

Was this good for Gabby in this particular situation? No.
An unanticipated murder followed soon after.

Could more have been done, in hindsight? Yes.
Hindsight is often 20/20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member