Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have many friends in communal living and organic farming providing housing for work. Most communal living groups own land, pay taxes, have an extentive list of regulations, and require some type of buy in. They careful screen any wishing to join. Not like the old days of hippies communes.

Inside Off-the-Grid Virginia Commune Where Everything From Housing to Child Care Is Shared
Of course, but there are those that are still out there as the one I posted earlier that is totally off the grid and they proud themselves of that. I would not be surprised if this is the case for BL ... not sure if manpower is there to check these areas or not.

MOO, it boils down to the astonishing lack of help, cooperation and relief denied Gabby's desperate parents by BL's parents.

Astonishing is an understatement. Most of us have been shocked by their lack of human dignity they offered to Schmidts and Petitos...

To this day they still are inflicting pain....

Edit: They are experiencing the old adage "you reap what you sew."
Gosh, yes. I have ZERO sympathy for them at this point. Also, if I was their neighbor I would completely understand the protestors.

I don't see illegals on organic farms, in my area of Virginia. They are usually locals, lots of HS/college age kids working over the summer. It's very hard physical, back breaking labor. Once harvest is over things slow way down on the farm and most can maintain without assistance.

The organic farms off the AT will be small operations, not huge organic farms like in central NC.

Moo...
That's true. The one my child worked at was also something she applied to months in advance. It wasn't like she just showed up and started working.

Yes and yes. But also a list of incidents by date
I've seen the list of incidents by date, but I can only find it on a Twitter account that's not approved (and for good reason). Before I started work this morning, I spent a good bit of time searching other MSM sources for the same list and I messaged a mod about possibly using the list because I think it would help pin down some important dates, but the reporter that posted it has a questionable history.

Seriously debated on reaching out to Your Sun to see if they could provide an itemized list of the 40 reports they received since they only selected a couple of redacted reports they thought were most interesting.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed...
Why would BL not delete his personal social media (or potentially Gabby's if he had access to her computer/cell phone)? He had plenty of time between the time that he left Wyoming. I would think that he would realize the amount of post of posts that were potentially incriminating or suspicious.

You would think that a sense Of self preservation would outweigh any narcissistic tendencies, but maybe not.

MOO

There are at least more creative ways to get the message across. Personally I don't disagree, but I also support the right. I'd be more likely to have a neighborhood group and we'd all put Gabby's face on our front yards so they'd have to see it every time they looked out their windows. I'd turn the focus back to Gabby. Put butterfly wind chimes on everyone's front yard. Elevate the situation. If I lived next door I'd put up the highest fence I could and paint Gabby's face on it.
MOO I like the way you think. Sort of a silent protest. I would help you paint, hammer and erect that.

The van life has always been a thing...it just hasn't always been called that. It has always appealed to those who want to simultaneously rule their own lives/ worlds and be somewhat freed of traditional responsibilities.

Well, I think there's a reason it's known as Van Life. It hasn't "always been" the thing it is now. I say this because I have worked in and for National Parks for years, visit many parks and forests, and...Van Life is affecting my own home town and the way of life here. It has not always been the way it is right now. Sure, people have lived on the road since Kerouac and Steinbeck. But it's different now.

First of all, it's a movement involving thousands of leaders (influencers and others), who have various businesses encouraging people to live on the road. In vans, not traditional RV's. The only place I'd ever seen them, until the past few years, was Yosemite. They take on active environmentalist stance, but there are real fights within this subculture about just what it means to do what they're. doing (gas, use of the outdoors as a toilet, etc). So there are different subdivisions within the culture. Entire businesses have sprung up around converting vans for Van Life. Prices of old vans are going through the roof.

Youtube made it possible for the Small House and Van Life movements to really get off the ground. Dyrt is now a thing, so that Van Lifers can find their way. into every inhabitable portion of National Forests and BLM land (sometimes illegally, it's a PITA for forest officials, it's been easier this year to just shut down forests rather than try to police the massive number of vans and tiny trailers on public lands, often without sanitary facilities.

Just in the past two months, three women are murdered while living the Van Life.

It used to be that these areas saw very few people. One could count on getting some place to throw up a tent, but no more. Volumes of visitors to national forests have tripled in the past 3 years and continue to rise. The average age of an RV user used to be around 60. Van Lifers are in their twenties. I guess soon they'll be in their 30's (although. of course, they give up the van life - but the curious thing is that there are plenty of new Van Lifers to replace them).

Anyway, Van Life is a youth movement similar to the commune-seeking, roadside-dwelling hippies of the 70's, except with vans that are, from my perspective, expensive. Yosemite has had to increase its vigilance about illegal overnight parking and change the rules for Camp Four altogether. I haven't seen so many policy changes in Yosemite since the 70's.

So from my point of view, this is a cultural form that is as distinctive as the Mod movement or the Hippy movement. It has a different history than RVing, and there's no way that there were as many Van Lifers in California 5 years ago, as there are now. My own town had to spend 2 years enacting new ordinances and finding ways to fund enforcement. Santa Monica is still spending so much money on enforcement, but at least now they too have laws against living in vans on its streets. People still do it, but it's lessened.

The number of images that come up if you search for Van Life right now, in late 2021, is astronomically larger than it was two years ago.
'
Van Life is closely associated with influencers or those who have figured out a passive income via the internet. Being able to live off Insta or Youtube is new and precarious, but people are doing it. I know one person who is doing it through Youtube and passive income (investments...guided entirely by a particular online community of which she is a part, perhaps now a leader).

As I write this, I'm once again questioning whether I should alert local LE when I know people are violating our anti-Van Life ordinances. But I know that they know (they have to, right?) but they only do something when a crime is committed in one of the hidden parking lots where the Van Lifers live. Alongside the Van Lifers are also the Bike Lifers, but they are a very small group (living in the same parking lots). And there is crime associated with these places. So now we have different kinds of homeless; the major places where the homeless camp (with their tents, grocery carts, etc) are still the same. But now we have these other homeless populations as well.

When I use the phrase "Van Life" I am referring to this movement - and not to the people who lived in their cars during the Great Depression. Indeed, living in a car is not considered Van Life by Van Lifers.

Does anyone have a link or know the timeline for the vehicles? Particularly the camper attachment (when purchased? when on trip with BL? Where is it now?) Any vehicle that pulled the camper? Any vehicle BL took (only the Mustang?).

I agree with your points. I do see how a defense attorney will see the other side.

There is no way to prove he did not have her permission to use the van and card.

In the extensive interview, LE found no evidence to charge him with abuse but they did question her intent to harm him.

Unless he states that he has never been to that sight, his DNA there just means he has been there and not that he was there at her death.

The best evidence, outside of a confession, is linking him to the manner of death. If it was by strangulation, I am not sure what the link could be. There could be one, I just don't know what it is. If by an instrument of force, then a DNA link to that instrument (that otherwise should not host his DNA) would be strong evidence.

I don't think that type of evidence currently exists or he would be listed as a suspect in her death. They need to find him alive and let him convict himself through interrogation.

It is not quite accurate to say "LE found no evidence to charge him" after the traffic stop. They assessed a situation and made a determination how to proceed. There is video of the exchange, so their determination is less relevant, especially as it's not clear they even considered BL as a possible arrestee (the focus was on GP in the stop). There was a witness statement about BL slapping and hitting GP in public, and they either didn't have it, didn't understand it, ignored it, or dismissed it in the context of evaluating the situation in front of them. That doesn't equate to "they" "found" "no" evidence.

Also please recall that cases are built on multiple pieces of evidence, circumstantial or otherwise. The probity and weight of each single piece of information does not have to be 100% or 0%. And doubt has to be reasonable: if there's a mountain of evidence of varying degrees of "value," and on balance the only real doubt is, "it could have been aliens, that's not "reasonable."

Driving alone across country in her van and using her money, in the middle of a trip they were on together, a large reason for which was her hopes to build a business out of it, alone obviously does not "prove" murder, obviously. But put that together with other behavior and facts/information we either do or don't know yet, and you could develop a prosecution that leads to no reasonable conclusion other than [whatever he was ultimately charged with].

The information out in public.so far, together, suggests a very reasonable possibility that he committed her homicide(). Neither LE nor public opinion have to wait for conclusive "proof" to proceed.
That assumes that 1) he's alive, 2) he will be captured, 3) he will be charged with murder, not just credit card fraud, and 4) he will plead not guilty. We're not there yet, not even to the first assumption. And it may be hard, but I trust that there are fair-minded people who can judge any case by the evidence alone. MOO.

I can't think of anyone I know in real life who is overly focused on or with a strong opinion on this situation either way. I wouldn't be, except that it happened to come a long at a particular time when it was very useful to me as a place to let my mind focus in my downtime because I had other things I was trying to keep off my mind. But most people busy living life will have just a vague, "oh, yes, what an awful situation" reaction.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed...
Why would BL not delete his personal social media (or potentially Gabby's if he had access to her computer/cell phone)? He had plenty of time between the time that he left Wyoming. I would think that he would realize the amount of post of posts that were potentially incriminating or suspicious.

You would think that a sense Of self preservation would outweigh any narcissistic tendencies, but maybe not.

MOO
Nothing he has done has made sense !
Yet he remains free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads