Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it’s me, but the camping out (so to speak) of the reporters outside the Laundrie house is now beginning to feel a bit bizarre. The FBI has them covered and followed everywhere. Brian isn’t there. Believe me, Brian is never coming back there.

This is a huge story in the news, though, and one that millions of people are following with bated breath. It might not be so much about tracking the parents as it is waiting for the next chapter of the story... I bet it's a race to see who can Tweet first every time that front door opens. ;)

I'm hating that we even consider this beating strangulation etc.

But I feel BL is impulsive...I don't see a long process, planned out, IMO it would be more like a push, shove, fall down on a big rock type of situation. i also keep wondering if he is ever caught whether he will say it was all in self defense.

I think though-- why, if it was my described scenario, he wouldn't call for help.

IMO everything he did after the fact was deliberate and calculated.

All of this expressed is MOO.

I wouldn't pick that film as a good example of van life although it reflects some reality for some people. To me, van/RV living is about being able to connect with nature in remote & special environments. That and not being stuck in a lease were the only reasons I recently contemplated van life at age 58. Being able to move with the seasons and incorporate lots of time outdoors into your everyday experience are two advantages, in my view.

It's not a monolithic experience and I don't think it's any weirder than any other lifestyle choice. Some of us crave change & can see it as fulfilling that need.

Being an "influencer" also has many motivations, I think. It's one way to finance a more nomadic lifestyle. It can also be an ego trip fueled by narcissism. Once again, not monolithic.

Traditional ways of living are not working any more for more and more people due to economic and social factors. Being able to work remotely has made more people question how they define "the good life."

JMO. Essay over.

Yes - the true story movie about a more senior version of van life - "Nomadland" - all this reminds me so much of that movie. Except most of the people in that movie traveled alone and I would doubt any of them were Influencers. That movie was the first I'd heard of "van life".

Nomadland (film) - Wikipedia

I'm hating that we even consider this beating strangulation etc.

But I feel BL is impulsive...I don't see a long process, planned out, IMO it would be more like a push, shove, fall down on a big rock type of situation. i also keep wondering if he is ever caught whether he will say it was all in self defense.

I think though-- why, if it was my described scenario, he wouldn't call for help.

IMO everything he did after the fact was deliberate and calculated.

All of this expressed is MOO.
THIS! I feel the exact same, he IS impulsive, this was not planned. Something happened that day or those few days before that set him off and since he was going for the phone during that argument in Moab, my guess is that the answer lies there. MOO

Nikita Crump in a NY Post article relates the dangers of van life. She lives and travels in the same type of van in the GP tragedy. Yes, it gets tense with traveling mates, she related. Also creeps do approach the van.

It is not a “Big Foot” story that it is possible , BL took a hike, leaving GP alone, and returned to a missing Or deceased Gabby. Maybe after announcing she was leaving him. Or maybe he panicked and drove off upon discovering her there. It’s a possibility that a jury might be asked to consider

I wouldn't pick that film as a good example of van life although it reflects some reality for some people. To me, van/RV living is about being able to connect with nature in remote & special environments. That and not being stuck in a lease were the only reasons I recently contemplated van life at age 58. Being able to move with the seasons and incorporate lots of time outdoors into your everyday experience are two advantages, in my view.

It's not a monolithic experience and I don't think it's any weirder than any other lifestyle choice. Some of us crave change & can see it as fulfilling that need.

Being an "influencer" also has many motivations, I think. It's one way to finance a more nomadic lifestyle. It can also be an ego trip fueled by narcissism. Once again, not monolithic.

Traditional ways of living are not working any more for more and more people due to economic and social factors. Being able to work remotely has made more people question how they define "the good life."

JMO. Essay over.
It's also not like they were planning on living in the van forever. It was supposed to be a 4-5 month trip that included camping and hiking. They also had a tent so they didn't always have to sleep in the van. Imo

Two thoughts regarding FBI going to house. I'm sure it's been mentioned maybe?

They were in and out quick. IF they found BL somewhere I would think they would have stayed a bit to talk, express condolences etc. I find it odd that in his missing poster there is not any mention of 'last seen wearing'.

I think it's a short list of people out there who would keep him hidden at this point.

I agree with all they should have enough DNA to not need more, so maybe they found a shoe or something and want to match it up (but who leaves home with just one shoe?).

Last , if BL has been found someone mentioned there would be tents etc set up...no sign of those yet?? And the lack of foot traffic at the home, if he was not alive I would think clergy or support would be at the home for the family. hopefully today there is news.

All of this expressed is MOO

Good point! So what are the options for WHO could possibly be harbouring him?...

Anyone willing to get in trouble with the law for doing so must care about BL very much indeed, so an automatic assumption would be a family member.

The alternative scenario is that the family is PAYING someone to harbour BL. So the person who is hiding him doesn't necessarily have a personal connection to the Laundrie's but they have been incentivised financially to help.

MOO

BBM

Maybe it’s me, but the camping out (so to speak) of the reporters outside the Laundrie house is now beginning to feel a bit bizarre. The FBI has them covered and followed everywhere. Brian isn’t there. Believe me, Brian is never coming back there.
No one thinks he is, but there may be other developments. Dog suddenly showing up certainly was something, however fruitless it turned out to be, it kept attention on the case. The FBI showing up and collecting a Sooper Seekrit Paper Wrapped Thingy was also of interest. There can still be developments worth capturing even though we all know we won't see BL there, in my opinion.

Good point! So what are the options for WHO could possibly be harbouring him?...

Anyone willing to get in trouble with the law for doing so must care about BL very much indeed, so an automatic assumption would be a family member.

The alternative scenario is that the family is PAYING someone to harbour BL. So the person who is hiding him doesn't necessarily have a personal connection to the Laundrie's but they have been incentivised financially to help.

MOO

BBM

BL’s friends are staying mum. It could be that one of them is harboring or giving him info in a vacant place to stay. Someone could have met him at the parking lot where Mustang was found and dropped him off elsewhere

I know there are many hiding spots where I live. Vacant homes, oblivious people. Many young white makes look just like him. A lot of private property around the wild life refuge too with shacks and shelters.

At this point, whoever aided him just might choose to forget what he did.

In fact on her Instagram she portrayed herself as quite an experience rock climber. It's written under some photos of Arches.

Login • Instagram

Supposedly she wrote this, and it is on her account:

"... I do not recommend trying this yourself! ⚠︎︎ (Rock Climbing is Dangerous! That guy we had to help off the edge wacked me with his walking stick while I was helping him back up! ) We are athletic and very experienced hikers and have high confidence for rock climbing! Do not try this at home!"

She tagged BL 3 times in this post. But notice she wrote they are "very experienced hikers" with high confidence for rock climbing. Was Gabby actually an experienced rock climber and hiker? The skill bragging here made me think BL wrote this.

(Can we quote her Instagram?)

Rock climbing pedantry warning:

I haven't done a deep dive into their social media, so there may be other evidence of rock climbing experience, but this post alone leads me to believe they are novice climbers, if that.

Rock climbers use a dizzying amount of jargon, and I don't see any of it in that post. Looking at the at the terrain, a climber with any outdoor experience would call that a scramble, not rock climbing. In a scramble, you need your hands for balance, but not to pull yourself up or lower yourself. While climbing adjacent, no experienced climber would refer to a scramble as climbing.

Also, experienced climbers know that while scrambles are less technically demanding than climbs, many climbing injuries occur during the approach, not the climb itself. Experienced climbers have a healthy respect for a scramble, and consider not only the technical difficulty of the terrain, but the consequences of falling, no matter how unlikely.

From the topo maps of that area, taking a tumble there could lead to serious injury, or even death. I'd at least want a helmet and some technical shoes before attempting it. The post references another consideration experienced climbers would consider before undertaking a scramble: who else is around? Climbers make hard things look easy, and if there are a bunch of people watching you (which there would be at Delicate Arch, they might think they can do it, too. If people follow you out, could it put you in danger? Block your return route? If so, it's probably not worth it.

TL;DR: From this post alone, I see no evidence of climbing experience. It doesn't use the language of climbing, it demonstrates a safety third ethos uncommon among experienced climbers without a death wish.

Josh Taylor, of North Port Police Department, told Fox: “The FBI is now leading the search. I’m told, it will be scaled back and targeted based on intelligence.

“Hopefully water will lower in areas hard to currently access.”

Experienced rancher Alan McEwen has cast doubt that Laundrie is hiding in the vast Carlton Reserve.

He told Fox News: “Unless he’s got a butt like a duck and can float, he’s not in there.

“I’ve been in the woods in and out all my life. I have learned a lot in my life, and one thing I know is no one is gonna survive out there for two weeks on foot.”

“No buzzards, no body is my theory. And I haven’t seen any buzzards flying.”
Brian Laundrie search to be more targeted as rancher says he's NOT in swamp

No one thinks he is, but there may be other developments. Dog suddenly showing up certainly was something, however fruitless it turned out to be, it kept attention on the case. The FBI showing up and collecting a Sooper Seekrit Paper Wrapped Thingy was also of interest. There can still be developments worth capturing even though we all know we won't see BL there, in my opinion.
I mustve missed a lot this weekend. I stayed off the internet regarding this case to appreciate spending time with my kids. GP memorial was in my hometown of Holbrook and it was also where my parents funerals were. A lot of roads were closed in the area and their were a lot of people in attendance. I heard it was a very beautiful service.
Let this be the week he is found so our sweet Gabby gets justice.

MOO-Thoughts, observations & questions this morning:

1. Getting started on van life takes some up front investment. I wonder if the van was purchased with cash and by whom? If not, I wonder who holds the loan? It appears a 2012 Transit Van generally runs between around 7k to 13k, depending on mileage and condition. Outside of the van, supplies, customization, etc all take money. I believe they funded this trip together and/or were generously supported by their parents.
It appears both fathers owned their own businesses, so it may have been a goal or value to support this for their kids.

2. While having enough money and a decent budget to carry out a trip like this is important, (we saved 10k for a family of 4 for a 6000 mile round trip for a month on the road), they had done something similar before in a car and had a general sense of that, and I think I remember her father saying they had money. Without more information, I am not sure money was the main source of contention...it could be, tho...many people argue over money even when they have plenty.

3. The social influencer part of this confounds me a bit. Building a base following (say 5k active followers on the low end) is hard to get to by itself. To maintain and grow that takes an awful lot of time (often years) and work. There should be signs of that PRIOR to thinking one could make a living off it UNLESS sponsored by a number of companies prior to the trip.
Do we know if they had company sponsors?

If they were well sponsored, they could have made money from the sponsor, or have been gifted important supplies to market and make commission from along the way.

Also note, that in my experience, sponsors often include deadlines for posts and links used, including specific expectations for influencers, it can cause pressure. It could also be hard to meet these expectations if juggling more than one sponsor over a specific timeframe.

4. Whether it is true or not, Brian gives some insight on their plan during the bodycam vid, as I recall. I think he said they were headed to see g-ma best friend and then to Portland to do a stint at a World Wide Opportunity on an Organic Farm (otherwise known as WWOOFing) and then land in California. Don't know much beyond that...it is all quite a curious and exasperating case to try to figure out without more information to comb thru.

MOO and just wanted to share with this amazing group!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B_Hazey