Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!

I've been thinking about the wait for the COD. I understand that they're waiting on toxicology, but other than that, is there any significance in the fact it's taking soooo long!?

I guess it's feasible that LE/FBI already know the COD but it just hasn't been released to the public and the media?

I know sometimes it's not released publicly so that LE can use it to determine if they're interrogating the right suspect (cross referencing info about the COD to see what matches), but at this stage, the prospect of BL being captured, nevermind interrogated, seems to be getting slimmer and slimmer.

MOO
I think cause of death is a public record in Wyoming, but ends at that. I wonder if they’ll ever release it, in the case Brian isn’t found. With no trial, the family may not want to divulge the autopsy details, out of respect for Gabby/their privacy. If he’s found, it’ll all come out at trial (assuming they charge him with murder).

I think because of the public record law in WY, that we will receive cause of death. But it might be simple like “blunt force trauma” or something without many details.

I don’t know what to expect, I’m not the expert so this is JMO

Last edited:
He has to be somewhere that he can recharge his burner phone while communicating with his parents. He doesn’t seem the type to be able to not have contact with his parents, especially under these conditions.

I don't know if he can safely communicate with his parents. I would think LE is operating a stingray in the Laundrie's neighborhood to catch any calls that come through. Of course, they could drive outside the area of the stingray and probably make a call without being caught.

Since the only charges filed against BL are federal, does anyone have any evidence that NPPD is actively seeking video footage (etc)? This is the same PD that stalled the Petitos in filing a missing person report, IIRC.

Any sense of what local PD is doing to assist in this case, aside from being one of the agencies involved in the swamp search?

This CL60 flight pattern is very intriguing (it's still going).

FlightRadar24 doesn't have a tail number for it and FlightAware doesn't show it at all -- can anyone ID it?

Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map | Flightradar24

View attachment 315518 View attachment 315519

And then the 2 flights of the Sarasota Sheriff's helo yesterday and yesterday night

N911VS Flight Tracking and History 29-Sep-2021 (KVNC-KVNC) - FlightAware

View attachment 315523 View attachment 315524

The first track seems to be pretty far to the north. That's not over the reserve, is it?

I don't want to appear to try to answer for @HoneySugar but I have some expertise in the area too.

If there seems to be an imminent and serious threat to the patient or to others, one can break confidentiality. A "duty to warn/protect" comes into play when there is a plan to harm an identifiable person(s) That duty arose from the Tarasoff case. Tarasoff v. Regents of the University of California - Wikipedia

Those issues-- duty to warn and confidentiality--are related but not identical.

It may be tempting to think society is served by breaking confidentiality if past crimes are solved. But if the public views mental health professionals as an arm of LE, an awful lot of people won't ever seek help. And it won't only be people who committed a past crime who are reluctant. Family members and friends would be too. And others who think they might have committed a crime will stay away.

Overall, tight confidentiality is a good thing. And once it's broken, naturally the patient/client will no longer trust the practitioner (and may distrust all practitioners.) So breaking confidentiality is a serious undertaking but sometimes necessary.

JMO
Can therapists or psychologists be subpoenaed or have to take the stand? Or does the full scope of confidentiality prevent that? (Referring to a *past* admission, not a duty to warn about future dangerous crimes). Would love both yours and @HoneySugar input!

I agree and I'm gobsmacked they haven't found him yet. It's hard to believe the he and/or his parents are criminal masterminds. Imo

I would think that it's complicated by thousands of tips being called in. Most will prove to be nothing but it costs time and manpower to run them all down.

OK. I dug up more information on that aircraft. It IS indeed a private jet, very surprisingly flying that flight pattern! As a pilot, I barely understand how that is possible, and it is certainly not practical.

CL60 is a model number of the plane. The registration number is something else and I found it. It is registered to a non-law enforcement entity that requested privacy on FlightAware (no tracking)

I was able to track and verify it through other aviation data sites (owner, N-number, and that specific flight track) but will not disclose here unless the mods contact me through PM and give me the OK.

View attachment 315532
So it's definitely doing that, but do you know WHAT it is doing? I don't understand why a private jet would be flying that way!

I'm backtracking here but am a bit confused on one point: Was the bodycam video from Arches park ranger Melissa Hulls released, or just the Moab police bodycam footage? This article on Newsweek.com references the Hulls bodycam video, saying it's been viewed "millions of times," but somehow I've overlooked it. If they're talking about the Moab bodycam footage, then could the media or public get the Hulls bodycam video through a FOIA request? Sorry if I'm asking something that's already been discussed. Thanks!

Ya know...... Maybe they are afraid.to release.it because.of what happened to her fellow officers !!!!

Seems she toLd Gabby she was in a toxic relationship and Maybe she said something about Brian like the men said about Brian relationship and crazy women!
Jmo
Just a.thought

I don't know if he can safely communicate with his parents. I would think LE is operating a stingray in the Laundrie's neighborhood to catch any calls that come through. Of course, they could drive outside the area of the stingray and probably make a call without being caught.

YEP! They could also have one in the LE car tailing them...they might not even need a phone number??

From wiki:
The StingRay is an IMSI-catcher, a cellular phone surveillance device, manufactured by Harris Corporation. Initially developed for the military and intelligence community, the StingRay and similar Harris devices are in widespread use by local and state law enforcement agencies across Canada, the United States, and in the United Kingdom. Stingray has also become a generic name to describe these kinds of devices.

I don't want to appear to try to answer for @HoneySugar but I have some expertise in the area too.

If there seems to be an imminent and serious threat to the patient or to others, one can break confidentiality. A "duty to warn/protect" comes into play when there is a plan to harm an identifiable person(s) That duty arose from the Tarasoff case. Tarasoff v. Regents of the University of California - Wikipedia

Those issues-- duty to warn and confidentiality--are related but not identical.

It may be tempting to think society is served by breaking confidentiality if past crimes are solved. But if the public views mental health professionals as an arm of LE, an awful lot of people won't ever seek help. And it won't only be people who committed a past crime who are reluctant. Family members and friends would be too. And others who think they might have committed a crime will stay away.

Overall, tight confidentiality is a good thing. And once it's broken, naturally the patient/client will no longer trust the practitioner (and may distrust all practitioners.) So breaking confidentiality is a serious undertaking but sometimes necessary.

JMO

Thank you! So could a mental health practitioner be served with a federal order to break that confidentiality and testify?

Hypothetically, say BL went to a mental heath practitioner and said, “I killed her. I feel awful. I have no intention of ever hurting anyone else, ever.” Could the practitioner break that confidentiality or be ordered by the FBI or court to do so?

I think cause of death is a public record in Wyoming, but ends at that. I wonder if they’ll ever release it, in the case Brian isn’t found. With no trial, the family may not want to divulge the autopsy details, out of respect for Gabby/their privacy. If he’s found, it’ll all come out at trial.

I think because of the public record law in WY, that we will receive cause of death. But it might be simple like “blunt force trauma” or something without many details.

I don’t know what to expect, I’m not the expert so this is JMO

I think that's right. In the recent case of Faye Swetlik, a little girl murdered in South Carolina, the murderer killed himself as LE was closing in and located little Faye's body. At the time, LE stated they believed the person who committed suicide was responsible for Faye's death but did not provide too much information. About a year later, LE released a report outlining what they found in their investigation that led them to believe beyond any doubt that the now-deceased murderer was responsible for Faye's death and that no one else was involved. They thanked the community for their help and said they considered the case closed.

We followed that case here on WS but I would not consider it super high profile outside of the local area. But still, LE wanted to make sure they were transparent about their investigation and make sure there were no accomplices. In high profile cases, I think LE will feel pressure to do something similar to assure the public the perpetrator has been identified and give some closure to the people who followed the case and shared tips, etc. I doubt it would be as detailed as what you'd see in a trial but would be enough to tell the story properly.

Hey everyone!

I've been thinking about the wait for the COD. I understand that they're waiting on toxicology, but other than that, is there any significance in the fact it's taking soooo long!?

I guess it's feasible that LE/FBI already know the COD but it just hasn't been released to the public and the media?

I know sometimes it's not released publicly so that LE can use it to determine if they're interrogating the right suspect (cross referencing info about the COD to see what matches), but at this stage, the prospect of BL being captured, nevermind interrogated, seems to be getting slimmer and slimmer.

MOO

My feeling is they won’t tell us until Brian is arrested because they know things that only her killer would know. Better not to release this info. It will help them bring him to justice. MOO

Have they ever posted what time it was on Aug.27 that Gabbys mom recieved the text from "Stan"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname