Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's very true about people getting lost close to trails, but she wasn't in the middle of the woods or on a trail, she was found just inside the treeline across the wash of Spread Creek, it's a wide stony stream bed. From the spot where her body was found, you can see the road. If she was disabled or bound and could scream, she'd be heard. If he left her too disabled to scream or bound and gagged, it's a pretty wide stretch to say he didn't intend for that to kill her.
I'm not at all sure a scream could be heard from the area her body was found...
or a gunshot..

I agree 100% with this. Earlier I had expressed if her parents even knew about what happened with the police video on 8/12.. I would at the very least imagine, before and even after, Gabby couldn’t bring herself to tell her parents that her dream of van life and setting off on this adventure wasn’t panning out how she thought it would. She was obviously so upset in the police videos, crying, while he was hamming it up and smiling..

From what I understand, she was on the phone with her parents while she was in the back of the patrol car.

Honest question!!

It seems to me they went above and beyond in making their decision. Even looking up the exact guidelines to follow. What do people think they should have done? Send GP to jail overnight? What could they have done differently? I'm asking sincerely, what? What were they're other choices??
What they could have done differently is pay more heed to the original cause of the 911 call that a male was hitting a female. They asked him and he gave them a non answer, so they ignored it.
What else they could have done differently is not pal up to him and fist bump with him, laugh when he called her crazy and talked about their 'toxic' ex wife. They bolstered his position and weakened hers. It was very unprofessional.

Anyone can say they "hiked the Appalachian Trail." It crosses roads in many places, including Newfound Gap at the top of the Great Smoky Mountains. I walked about 100 yards there once with my husband, and again in North Carolina at Wayah Bald, where we took pictures in a fire tower with a parking lot below. So indeed, I could say I have hiked the Appy Trail and have pics to prove it, but that would not make me a world class hiker. It would also make me a typical day-hiker, not a survivalist.

There was a quote going around saying Bl spent 6 weeks on the App Trail. That would be a lot of hiking. That's really different than spending one birthday there, partly in a hammock. He supposedly hiked some up near Boone, NC, as well, but not many pics of that either.
There's also sort of an AT culture where hikers along the trail are generally considered to be very hospitable or conscientious. Granted, this doesn't apply to everyone, but I would fully expect him to be outed pretty quickly if he's really through-hiking the AT based on the types of people I've known to be on those trails. His only benefit may be that folks on the trail may just not know about him because of a lack of connectivity with society at large.

I think, even though divorced, the family gets along.
Even married couples don't share every detail of their children's lives. If a child downplays or edits facts, and/or specifically says "please don't tell dad," then that information can't, shouldn't, and/or won't necessarily reach the other parent. And tbh, a parent of a child potentially going off-track in life or with a loser boyfriend she's living with states away from you is likely NOT going to want to risk alienating their child by betraying their trust without critical-level need to.

Last edited:
On BL's instagram there is a video clip in the Van Life section which shows the interior of the van. It looks like there is a mint green protector on the drivers seat. Very interesting if that was no longer there as of Sept 11th.

- @bizarre_design_

You can also see that there appears to be no partition or hard barrier between the front and back of the van. So it's unlikely she could have been unable to escape the van if the back was locked from the outside. In other words, I don't think she was ever 'trapped' inside the van via outside locking mechanisms. (This was speculated about some threads back but this moves so fast, it's hard to reply to things in a timely manner).

As I posted pages ago, it was present in Moab on 2nd body cam. Could have been ditched or might have been collected. MOO

It is really stretching it for me to even contemplate that Brian is successfully evading what some poster enthusiastically named as the 'most expert law enforcement org in the world'...( the FBI ) in comparison to his life as is known up until then. He still lived at home . He didn't hold down a full time job, and when he did, he worked for Mum and Dad. He didn't own property, or even his own car. He had one girlfriend. He didn't play team sport of any kind, as far as I can tell.

Gabby is, as far as is known his first and only murder, and it is reasonable to assume, on that basis alone, that it was not tidy, or efficient. That the rangers who went in there could tell it was homicide from 40 paces away.

And then, he doesn't hide her body, ( the evidence of his crime ) , he leaves it in a well used area, and not only leaves her body, but then takes a van registered to her, and her bankcard , and then actually withdraws money from a bankcard that is not his..

Any 24 yr old would know he was leaving a trace on that act alone, using a dead persons card. He knows she is dead, because he has her van, and has departed the scene. Otherwise, he would be looking for her.

It is on this kind of serial repeated persistent cackhanded action of Brian's that I am skeptical of the whole idea of him doing this incredible evasive survival thingy on his own. That would take real instinctual cleverness and forethought, LOTS of forethought, a capacity to judge risk very well.
Meh, I've known some complete idiots that can hide from warrants for a little bit just because of the nature of the legal system. They just need to get a small foothold on him, probably through a digital footprint, and it'll all be over. If he's still alive.

MOO

My take on the phone involvement at Moonflower is that Brian was worried that Gabby was about to leave him there without his phone (according to what he told the officer), so he was attempting to grab hers so that she wouldn't go, or so he'd have a phone if she did go.

As far as things ramping up by 08/25, it seems they were absolutely under a lot of stress from the close quarters of the trip, the inability of Gabby to get as much work done as she wanted, and according to what Brian told the officer, Gabby was upset with the bugs. I also wonder if Brian was unhappy about the potential meet-up with Gabby's friend at Yellowstone in the next few days. Apparently, they were planning to go there on the 27th. I'm guessing that Rose never made the trip, but I don't think that's been confirmed.

In Rose's first interview, she says the meet up was planned for some time in September. Rose's birthday was the 29th of August, and Gabby was supposed to call on that day to arrange when the Yellowstone visit would happen. Gabby's call never happened. Which is why Rose was concerned something had happened.

Source: Gabby Petito's best friend claims Brian Laundrie was jealous and controlling | Daily Mail Online

Rose had no plans to meet up in August. The meeting didn't happen because the call to organize it never happened. That Rose never got even a birthday message on the 29th was cause for alarm. And it helps with the timeline.

Honest question!!

It seems to me they went above and beyond in making their decision. Even looking up the exact guidelines to follow. What do people think they should have done? Send GP to jail overnight? What could they have done differently? I'm asking sincerely, what? What were their other choices??
They should have arrested one of them according to the laws of Utah on DV cases.

An investigation is ongoing..
Editing this, Chief has actually taken leave of absence
Gabby Petito case: Moab, Utah police chief takes leave of absence amid investigation into handling of 911 call

Last edited:
Laundrie neighbor faces charges after confronting protestors

Angelo Zappacosta, 48, was arrested and could face battery and assault charges after getting in the faces of demonstrators who have been in front of the Laundrie house all week with bullhorns.

The neighbor says that through his surveillance camera in his driveway, he could see some of the protestors peeking into his window. Zappacosta says he was trying to get the protestors off of his property when things escalated.

Laundrie neighbor arrested after confronting protestors

Did you google the protestor? And, AZ posted the surveillance. I can't post it but it's out there for people to make their own assessments.

So BL used someone else’s(had to be GPs IMO)bank card to withdrawal at least 1000 dollars. Presumably, it was done after GP was deceased. LE must’ve seen him on bank surveillance doing this at a specific place and time. I’m more interested in the amount. How much does it cost to drive a van some 30 odd hours across the country? Few hundred? Why would he need all that money? I believe most atms limit the withdrawal amount to like 400$, so there was possibly multiple withdrawals. Leads one to believe it was getaway money unfortunately. Imo.

We are just rehashing small details over and over with very little new developments.

Anyone else bored, frustrated and restless by the status and pace of this case?

Having followed several cases over the years, I've learned that one of the most important things to do is to rehash seemingly "small details" over and over.

Justice for a victim oftentimes involves tedious recollection and rehashing of what may seem to be "small details".

It's worth it.

If we have to go over some details ad infinitum, so be it.

Gabby deserves Justice.

And yet we know he had his own phone in his pocket the whole time of the DV stop. Also that Gabby's was stowed in a weird spot in the van that BL had to show to the female ranger, when she was sent to retrieve Gabby's. This reeks of deception. His excuse for taking the phone holds little water, imo. His actions pointed to him taking possession of her phone, putting her backpack outside the van, taking her van keys and attempting to drive away from her/prevent her from entering her own van/home.

I believe her fear of abandonment was very real. His claims? Not so much. We see that she was extremely reluctant to drive on her own, or to be separated from him and yet he's afraid she'll drive off without him? Not likely.

BBM. And I would bet my house on the reason that she was reluctant to drive is because he had convinced her that she was a terrible driver.

Yes, according to @oviedo's timeline, it was after the Moab incident.

Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 TIMELINE thread *NO DISCUSSION*

I do think that if GP's family helped separate the couple, they would have said something about that. But GP might've been getting financial help from them more generally, or GP and BL may have given some other reason for the separation, such as the one we've heard.

Maybe BL really did move some things in FL, though given the cost of a plane flight, the economics of that wouldn't make much sense. As some have suggested, the comment that CL did not finish during the interview may have implied that this was not a one-off situation -- that BL tended to go home when... it wasn't clear, and, but it sounded like when things got tough in some way -- I won't speculate further.

JMO

No need, to speculate further. :)

It was just an opinion of mine, considering that I think Gabby's parents did realise the Moab incident was serious, and tried to do something about it. While perhaps not fighting Gabby's personal choice of remaining as BL's girlfriend/fiancee.

We can only do so much to help our adult children, as much as they will allow is all we have.

A day hike is hardly 'hiking the AT,' though.
I hiked the AT for years before I attempted a thruhike. If you ever walked on the trail at all you have "hiked the AT", if you do longer stretches you have "sectioned hiked the AT" if you did the whole thing you "thruhiked the AT". There is no magic number of miles you have to walk to be able to say you hiked the AT. It not even a strange thing to say.

"Hey, Hyway, old buddy old pal, whacha doing this weekend?"
"I'm hiking the AT"

IDK.
The Laundries must have some very close, well to do friends or family if they could call someone up and ask for help concealing and aiding a suspect fleeing from the FBI and oh btw his girlfriend turned up dead.
I don't know a single soul I could call with such a request.
If someone called me in that situation, my immediate reaction would be, "You want me to do WHAT? NOOO!!! Hell NO!
jmho

Why would his parents remove the camper from the pick up while they were camping. It looks like its on the stands in the picture taken at the campground. Are those stable enough to sleep in on those camper stands? why would they take it off if they were only there for 1-2 days? makes no sense to me.
jmo
Didn't the initial reports state that they left and returned? MOO/IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads