Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian may be good at being on the run, as it turns out, but he sure does know how to draw attention to himself. I can't get a handle on why someone who had just killed their girlfriend would get in her van, drive it to his parent's house, and leave it sit in the driveway for days. He ended up using bank cards on her name for who knows what--why not just take a flight back to Florida? He could have easily ditched the van anywhere but in the driveway of his house. If he was planning to run, why not run west? His trail would have gone cold very quickly. If he was going to keep the van, why not just go ahead to Yellowstone and the other places they had already scheduled out? Well, I guess it's a good thing that he isn't a calculating type of guy because he could have made some different moves to avert the attention he drew at Spread Creek and back in Florida, and GP's body would probably never have been found.

This behavior is the major reason I still have a reasonable doubt of his being guilty. It would be way more than a reasonable doubt if not for the silence once it was known GL was missing. I can imagine only one reasonable reason why you wouldn't want to help find her or her remains. That it would implicate you in something. But maybe there is one I can't imagine. It would have to be very compelling though. Even his being missing doesn't have to be a sign of guilt of murder if it turns out he suicided. That could be remorse for not taking care of her and keeping her from whatever befell her after a potential parting between the 2.

My first post in here. I honestly did not know about this case til a few days ago. I followed here several years ago so figured it was the easiest place to “catch up.” Now three days later— I read almost all up til last night when I figured I’d jump in with some thoughts and observations from someone just reading all this. I had so many while reading. Then the thread closed…And here I am….

SBM. Thank you. I appreciate seeing the point of view of someone with fresh eyes and I agree with a lot of what you said.

Brian may be good at being on the run, as it turns out, but he sure does know how to draw attention to himself. I can't get a handle on why someone who had just killed their girlfriend would get in her van, drive it to his parent's house, and leave it sit in the driveway for days. He ended up using bank cards on her name for who knows what--why not just take a flight back to Florida? He could have easily ditched the van anywhere but in the driveway of his house. If he was planning to run, why not run west? His trail would have gone cold very quickly. If he was going to keep the van, why not just go ahead to Yellowstone and the other places they had already scheduled out? Well, I guess it's a good thing that he isn't a calculating type of guy because he could have made some different moves to avert the attention he drew at Spread Creek and back in Florida, and GP's body would probably never have been found.

I think it was panic and inability to think rationally, which for me points to the idea that this wasn't premeditated. I feel like they had an emotionally controlling and abusive relationship that got more and more amped up, and more and more physical over time, and it escalated really quickly and horrifically. It really seems like BL doesn't/didn't (since I'm kind of 50/50 on them finding him alive) have a whole lot of emotional intelligence and coping skills to be able to manage his actions and the consequences. MOO

Back to the facts of this case.
Fact: Gabby was reported missing on the 11th of Sept
Fact: The Laundrie family presented a lawyer's business card to LE on Sept 11th. No information or statements were given.

IMO, the investigation into this sad situation has been directed by the attorney of the Laundrie family...including the direction of where to search, ( statement made about hiking and mustang ) and when to search, ( reported 4 days after BL 'left' ) and now the latest...who gets to search!

IMO, There is a puppet master here....and the LE and FBI, as well as MSM are dancing to his moves. I can see the strings...
I can't say that you are wrong...but I just have to give FBI more credit than thinking that they are being manipulated....as for North Port Police and MSM, good possibility that they are unconsciously manipulated. SB is going to keep on trying to show his clients in the best light...that's his job (except for telling outright lies). Trouble is, that the parents seem to be the key to finding BL's whereabouts. So far, even though their behavior or lack of it seems sketchy at best to us, there probably isn't any solid evidence that they have committed a crime in abetting their kid after the fact....so they can't be hauled in under suspicion of (fill in the blank). If one or both could be nailed for something illegal, maybe they would start talking. But that may never happen. Hopefully, CaL is fully cooperating with FBI, but she knows far less than her parents do. jmo

Emotional abuse is worse than physical abuse. From the encounter by the police and GP's reaction, I think lots of emotional abuse occurred in their relationship by BL with some minor physical abuse. Physical abuse can escalate over time. Since domestic violence is on the increase, in depth training should be mandatory in the police curriculum. Narcissists are adept at fooling most people.

I can believe BL was a controlling individual just from his conversation with the police. Not only that but factoring in his parents behaviour as further evidence and including their total disregard for her family's concern in the initial stages of her being missing. Where was their concern when he returned home alone.

I do not think he would now be recognizable. He easily could change his appearance in many ways: more and longer hair, full beard, disheveled slovenly appearance, non talkative, etc. If he is an experienced survivalist, he could disappear for a long time. And yes, he probably had assistance. There are still rural remote areas even with tiny towns and communities. Otherwise he is dead by suicide or dead by the elements (or maybe will be). He may never be found.

All just my own humble opinions.

Yes, I think I was hoping for more yesterday.
It’s extremely disappointing. It’s beginning to remind me of the Summer Wells case, where it kept looking like a break was imminent, an arrest was pending—but all would fizzle out and now the case seems stalled and cold. I really am losing faith that BL will be found, dead or alive. I’d like to be proven wrong, of course.

Ms. Gabrielle Petito has inspired so many. Her story has captivated colleges and universities throughout this country. There are several campus newspapers posting but I’d like to highlight this link:

Below is an excerpt from an interview with two local domestic violence professionals that gave some insight on the best ways to recognize and handle abusive relationships. *See link

Rachel Ramirez is the founder and director of The Center on Partner-Inflicted Brain Injury at the Ohio Domestic Violence Network, and Lynn Rosenthal is the president of the Center for Family Safety and Healing.
Gabby Petito case and recognizing abusive relationships | The Chimes
Ms. Gabrielle Petito has inspired so many. Her story has captivated colleges and universities throughout this country. There are several campus newspapers posting but I’d like to highlight this link:

Below is an excerpt from an interview with two local domestic violence professionals that gave some insight on the best ways to recognize and handle abusive relationships. *See link

Rachel Ramirez is the founder and director of The Center on Partner-Inflicted Brain Injury at the Ohio Domestic Violence Network, and Lynn Rosenthal is the president of the Center for Family Safety and Healing.
Gabby Petito case and recognizing abusive relationships | The Chimes

Thank you for posting this. I really liked the explanation that a person should feel safe while having an argument. I think it's important to listen without judgment to what kids say about their understanding of what it feels like to "feel safe" on different levels from imminent to abstract.
Gabby and Brian were so young.

I can't say that you are wrong...but I just have to give FBI more credit than thinking that they are being manipulated....as for North Port Police and MSM, good possibility that they are unconsciously manipulated. SB is going to keep on trying to show his clients in the best light...that's his job (except for telling outright lies). Trouble is, that the parents seem to be the key to finding BL's whereabouts. So far, even though their behavior or lack of it seems sketchy at best to us, there probably isn't any solid evidence that they have committed a crime in abetting their kid after the fact....so they can't be hauled in under suspicion of (fill in the blank). If one or both could be nailed for something illegal, maybe they would start talking. But that may never happen. Hopefully, CaL is fully cooperating with FBI, but she knows far less than her parents do. jmo

I can agree with you on much of your statement. The FBI has many more tools in their proverbial box. However, I am not sure that the FBI has ever laid physical eyes on the elusive BL either, no thanks to the Laundrie family and their rep.

It’s extremely disappointing. It’s beginning to remind me of the Summer Wells case, where it kept looking like a break was imminent, an arrest was pending—but all would fizzle out and now the case seems stalled and cold. I really am losing faith that BL will be found, dead or alive. I’d like to be proven wrong, of course.
If he was in the reserve, he's dead. Let's hope that he was never in the reserve for more than a few hours. If he's just out there somewhere in this HUGE country, he'll be found. jmo

I remember from somewhere that they planned to get married but COVID put a stop to it so they planned this dream trip instead. I can’t for the life of me remember where I heard it, I think it was gabbys dad who said it, maybe on dr phil.
I think on Fox, her mom,.maybe yesterday? The stories have shifted so it IS hard to keep track. MOO!

I think it was panic and inability to think rationally, which for me points to the idea that this wasn't premeditated. I feel like they had an emotionally controlling and abusive relationship that got more and more amped up, and more and more physical over time, and it escalated really quickly and horrifically. It really seems like BL doesn't/didn't (since I'm kind of 50/50 on them finding him alive) have a whole lot of emotional intelligence and coping skills to be able to manage his actions and the consequences. MOO

There are other reasons that might give insight into why someone might have this weird behavior after the event. Many people see it, but its not allowed for discussion.

Honestly, I don't know why someone hasn't posted something on social media about hearing or seeing something at the dispersed camping area in WY. Any noises, shouting. commotion, gun shots, screams, anything. What are peoples' thoughts on why no witness has come forward? And also, why haven't the charges been added for murder or anything besides the unauthorized card usage? It's been some time now since GP was found. I'm wondering why it's taking so long to up the pressure and persuade someone to come forward. Just saying, if I had seen something, and knew the reward was out there, I would certainly be coming forward with the info.

Some murders can be very quiet. A rock to the dome in the middle of nowhere would produce no witnesses. Strangulations in the middle of a dry creek bed would only be heard by those relatively close by.

I'm speculating, but I think the cause of death doesn't definitively tie BL to the crime; meaning there's no specific, physical evidence that shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's the guy that did this. There's the circumstantial evidence, but I'd guess the DA wouldn't rush so quickly to try a CE case if they're able to nab him and shore up the case with his testimony (assuming of course, he'd ever say anything). The investigation seems to be dependent on finding him, questioning him, and hoping he slips up.

Honestly, I don't know why someone hasn't posted something on social media about hearing or seeing something at the dispersed camping area in WY. Any noises, shouting. commotion, gun shots, screams, anything. What are peoples' thoughts on why no witness has come forward? And also, why haven't the charges been added for murder or anything besides the unauthorized card usage? It's been some time now since GP was found. I'm wondering why it's taking so long to up the pressure and persuade someone to come forward. Just saying, if I had seen something, and knew the reward was out there, I would certainly be coming forward with the info.

People may be coming forward to the police, just not to the public.

My take of the “plan” BL had after he killed GP: He fled immediately after killing her out of panic and fear. He thought she would be discovered and he was fleeing then so as not to be caught, as well as from the horror of what he had done. He carefully checked news sources while hiking further north, and after a day or so realized, no news, and likely her body was not found and he was not being hunted down. So, he carefully hitchhiked back to the van and her body, making sure there were witnesses left behind that could repeat the story that he had left her behind and was out camping for the last few days. He refused to allow his ride to drive him back up to the van, because he was still wary that there would be LE and perhaps a trap to catch him. When he got back to the van, and saw for himself that her body had not been discovered, he panicked again. All that planning to say he left her and someone else must have found her alone and killed her… that story would only work if someone else discovered her. And no one had, nor was he willing to insert himself at that point and call LE to report a murder. He had nowhere to go and no way to plan an escape. It was at this point he decided to go home and enlist assistance from his parents. He isn’t very bright, and he doesn’t plan well, especially under pressure. He took the van because it was the easiest way to get home, and he probably thought it would be less likely that anyone would discover her body if the van was not around to “point to her”. I think he does a lot of self-soothing using somewhat delusional thinking that maybe if no one finds her, he could get away with it. He was probably more than a little depressed as well, and thinking “whatever happens, happens”. I think he is still in that mindset, and still just thinking to himself that this is all going to just go away. He is not bright, nor very rational, imho. I think he had significant help from his parents making a plan to avoid capture. And I think it is also possible he did commit suicide. And as for the parents, I can imagine that they may not find that to be the worst option at this point. THIS IS ALL MY OPINION

My take of the “plan” BL had after he killed GP: He fled immediately after killing her out of panic and fear. He thought she would be discovered and he was fleeing then so as not to be caught, as well as from the horror of what he had done. He carefully checked news sources while hiking further north, and after a day or so realized, no news, and likely her body was not found and he was not being hunted down. So, he carefully hitchhiked back to the van and her body, making sure there were witnesses left behind that could repeat the story that he had left her behind and was out camping for the last few days. He refused to allow his ride to drive him back up to the van, because he was still wary that there would be LE and perhaps a trap to catch him. When he got back to the van, and saw for himself that her body had not been discovered, he panicked again. All that planning to say he left her and someone else must have found her alone and killed her… that story would only work if someone else discovered her. And no one had, nor was he willing to insert himself at that point and call LE to report a murder. He had nowhere to go and no way to plan an escape. It was at this point he decided to go home and enlist assistance from his parents. He isn’t very bright, and he doesn’t plan well, especially under pressure. He took the van because it was the easiest way to get home, and he probably thought it would be less likely that anyone would discover her body if the van was not around to “point to her”. I think he does a lot of self-soothing using somewhat delusional thinking that maybe if no one finds her, he could get away with it. He was probably more than a little depressed as well, and thinking “whatever happens, happens”. I think he is still in that mindset, and still just thinking to himself that this is all going to just go away. He is not bright, nor very rational, imho. I think he had significant help from his parents making a plan to avoid capture. And I think it is also possible he did commit suicide. And as for the parents, I can imagine that they may not find that to be the worst option at this point. THIS IS ALL MY OPINION
That makes a lot of sense considering everything that we know happened.

SBM. Thank you. I appreciate seeing the point of view of someone with fresh eyes and I agree with a lot of what you said.

It was quite odd to realize just how much google streamlines my newsfeed! For 18 mo it’s been 100% Covid because that’s all I have focused on. Now I am reading this for days and just got a push that a teen is missing in that area of FL that they were searching for him. The day Facebook crashed I was like its weird I don’t subscribe to news so I would have to go to news sites instead of it actually popping up to me.

bbm
Back when this happened, I thought I'd read that initially, there wasn't a phone number -- nor an email provided to get in touch w/the lawyer at first ?
I'll go back and check the media links to see if this was mentioned b/c it was strange if that was the case ?

Here's an interesting link about the possibility of charges for the parents ... or not -- in some cases ?

Law may protect Brian Laundrie’s parents from accessory charges but not from other allegations | WFLA
Baird said Florida law does not allow parents to be charged as accessories after the fact in some alleged crimes.
“Parents could be charged, assuming there is evidence to support the charge, if their son is charged with a first or second degree felony,” Baird said. “If he is charged with a third degree felony, they could not charge his parents.”
But he said there are no parental protections when there’s evidence parents covered up a crime.
“If they made misleading statements or lied to officers,” Baird said. “Obviously that’s a crime in Florida and they’re not protected from that.”

Emphasis mine.

Although Gabby's cod hasn't been revealed, I'm guessing that homicide won't be a third degree charge ?
MOO.

I don't ubderstand your point about the bolded. If they gave LE a business card, that's giving them contact information.

And actually, I'd guess it wasn't an actual business card and that that's just fluffy reporting. It's at best a "maybe" if they had a spare (or gave their only) actual paper card of his from their Long Island days just hanging around. Yes, people still hangon to those things and clip them in a paper address book, but it's just as likely they just wrote down the information and handed that to LE. There's zero magic in a business card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500