Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #65

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clip BBM

I think the problem here might be the three words I bolded above, the parents said.

I’d like to know if that date can be verified by any type of video surveillance. I believe he was gone several days before they want to admit. Anyone could have driven the Mustang and parked it but maybe there is surveillance showing he was the driver on that date. Unless that can be verified, I don’t buy it.

jmo
bbm
Ita.
Since their refusal to answer the Petito's about Gabby's whereabouts in the early days I'm taking everything the Laundrie's say with the proverbial grain.
A large amount.

If LE verify he was driving the Mustang or had been seen going for a walk in the swamp I'd give it more credence.
Although LE did let him slip away which resulted in a prolonged , costly, and ongoing search !
Trying to be pro-LE here, but it seems like a careless slip to allow Brian to flee ?
This case is frustrating in more ways than one. :(
Imo.

Last edited:
Not sure why you are inserting ME into this... but okay. If I were in the Laundrie's situation as parents, and my son was innocent, I would have told my son to call CP's parents to tell them that he was home and what the circumstances were that he left their daughter behind. If he didn't call them, I would. I wouldn't have ignored her parents' calls and texts and hand LE a lawyer card when they finally came to check on the missing girl.

In a discussion I had with dozens of parents with adult kids, some of them LE, all of them law abiding, none of them would have done. Doesn’t mean they are right, but any LE and attorney will tell you that it’s not a good idea to talk at that point. Regardless of their cooperation, Laundries were almost certainly going to be sued to ruination because of what their son did. It’s not like they had any good news for Gabby’s family either.

My initial reaction to this case was to be appalled about Laundries’ reactions , but n time, I can see why Laundries and their attorney taking the path they have. BL, a whole other story. But MOO, parents may not have known. BL could have come home and just refused to talk about it, and I certainly would not have suspected that Gabby was just left, let alone killed.
And, yes, when messages came from her family indicating something ominous, yes, I’d call someone with experience in this sordid mess. I would not know what to do.

A thought and a question:
Since a strangulation victim looses consciousness after about 10 seconds and it takes about 50 more seconds to die, it would seem that the killer would have to have the intent to kill in order to complete the act. I would think if it was just an argument that had just gone too far, the person would let go as soon as the other passes out.

Dr. Blue said the determination of strangulation as COD was not an easy one, so how did they determine MOD was homicide so soon after discovery of remains? I'm thinking there some attempt to hide the body, maybe with brush.

That 10 seconds is if the strangler knows enough to put strong pressure on both sides of the neck, to stop arterial blood flow. More typical in a DV strangulation is for the strangler to press thumbs against the windpipe/voice box, to stop screaming first. MMA trained people can do it in 10 seconds. There are cases in which witnesses have watched DV strangulations and it can take up to a minute. Ligature strangulation definitely is faster.

This is why many domestic violence victims of strangulation do not lose consciousness and live to tell about it. While it is true that moderate pressure on the carotid can cause unconsciousness in 10 seconds, if the hold is released, the victim will generally regain consciousness - in about 10 seconds. If death is to occur, the strangler has to maintain pressure for 5-6 minutes.

Many DV strangulations are aimed at the area up under the chin, as it starts with an attempt to silence.

Burgess also mentioned that Laundrie continued to refer to Petito as his fiancée to police in the video despite the fact that her mother, Nichole Schmidt, told media outlets earlier in the saga that the pair had decided to hold off on getting married to travel.

"To Laundrie this is very, very important, and I think what sets into motion the final days for her," Burgess said of their engagement.
Brian Laundrie 'very much in control' of Gabby Petito during road trip, former FBI researcher says
Thanks for the links, @imstilla.grandma !
This makes it seem likely that Gabby tried to leave him or break it off ?
Ugh ! :(
Such a dangerous time ... for a person who wants to be set free from an unhinged controlling person.
Imo.

You keep seeing the references about "running home to mommy" because a lot of people see BL as an unmotivated slacker, who at nearly 24 years of age was not employed since quitting Publix and still living with mommy and daddy. Through life experience, many equate that with being overly dependent on parents. Most people in their 20s want to be independent. Do not want to live with their parents. And take the necessary steps to get out from under. If they like living at home so much that they are unmotivated to leave, then likely they are being coddled and/or close to their parents in an unhealthy way. I said LIKELY. I realize there are exceptions. There is a lot of published material about BL and that is where observations/interpretations are coming from. It appears he is a man-child. MOO.
Hmmm. That speculates to me that the Laundrie parent were so-called helicopter parents. i don't know that is/was the case. Maybe so. Maybe not. It's possible - and actually somewhat common in todays socio-economic environment- for parents with whom an offspring lives to be extremely "hands off" so to speak. did he not have aspirations? I haven't a clue. Maybe he did. Maybe he didn't. Creatives, for example, are many times seen a peculiar birds in their life choices and lifestyles.

bbm
Ita.
Since their refusal to answer the Petito's about Gabby's whereabouts in the early days I'm taking everything the Laundrie's say with the proverbial grain.
A large amount.

If LE verify he was driving the Mustang or had been seen going for a walk in the swamp I'd give it more credence.
Although LE did let him slip away which resulted in a prolonged , costly, and ongoing search !
Trying to be pro-LE here, but it seems like a careless slip to allow Brian to flee ?
This case is frustrating in more ways than one.
Imo.

IMO, BL would be safer if in custody right now. The Laundries likely (MOO) think so too. Good chance he is dead and this show isn’t making things better for him and family if he is not, and caught. MOO, highly unlikely he is going to get away scott free in this escape

Brian Laundrie's Parents Are Revealing Big Clue He's Still Alive, Petito Family Says – Newsweek
<snipped & BBM>
Petito's family has now criticized Laundrie's parents for what they consider a failure to fully cooperate with the case.

Her mother, Nichole Schmidt, said: "They know most of the information, I don't know why they're doing this to us. I feel like we need to just know, at this point."

This is thought to refer to claims the Laundrie family has provided insufficient information about the fugitive, feeding accusations Brian Laundrie may have received assistance with his disappearance.

Her father Joe Petito said: "If they do know something and they're withholding that and they don't want to let us know, it's cruel."

His mother added: "Their actions don't show that their son is missing. It shows that they're just comfortable and they probably know where he is."

The parents are even less equivocal in the criticism of Brian Laundrie, described by Schmidt as "a coward."

I just tried, but Delete wasn't given as an option. :confused:

You can ONLY use the Edit key for one hour after the original post.

When you do press the edit key....

Just highlight all the text, and backspace to delete.

What we usually do when we want to delete the entire post is add "dbm" so readers know "delted by me" was you who removed it.

Last edited:
The Laundries face civil lawsuits that can put them in financial ruin, not to mention attorney costs. They are not wealthy. Imagine how YOU would be if in such a situation. Cooperating is not going to help them in this regard. Experience shows that it just gives even more fodder in such lawsuits. Highly unlikely Gabby’s family would not Sue even if they bent over backwards to cooperate. Not the way it works
I have a hard time understanding how the Laundries could be sued for something their adult son did; however, I don't understand the nature of civil suits but I do know they are broader (?) than criminal suits.

You keep seeing the references about "running home to mommy" because a lot of people see BL as an unmotivated slacker, who at nearly 24 years of age was not employed since quitting Publix and still living with mommy and daddy. Through life experience, many equate that with being overly dependent on parents. Most people in their 20s want to be independent. Do not want to live with their parents. And take the necessary steps to get out from under. If they like living at home so much that they are unmotivated to leave, then likely they are being coddled and/or close to their parents in an unhealthy way. I said LIKELY. I realize there are exceptions. There is a lot of published material about BL and that is where observations/interpretations are coming from. It appears he is a man-child. MOO.

So that makes him more dependent on mom than dad? I agree many people don't live at home but a majority (52%) in the US did in 2020 (age 18-29). And Gabby always lived with family too, her own or BL's or a close godparent. The purported dependence BL had on mom is something I've not observed except in posts here. We don't even know how often he called home while traveling. We don't know if he called mom or dad. But an abnormal "mother connection" is the only one mentioned.

A majority of young adults in the U.S. live with their parents for the first time since the Great Depression

I have a hard time understanding how the Laundries could be sued for something their adult son did; however, I don't understand the nature of civil suits but I do know they are broader (?) than criminal suits.
They can be sued if they have given false/misleading info which spurred LE on a multi-million dollar goose chase. IMO.

According to Entin, Blue was encouraged to hold off on going public by a federal prosecutor. “[Blue] said he was holding off on going public because the U.S. attorney asked he please not release it publically until [October 12],” Entin said. “What that means about what was going on behind the scenes, we’re not exactly sure.”
Why Were Gabby Petito's Autopsy Results Withheld? Wyoming Coroner Explains

Additionally, bringing suit is one thing. That's the easy part. Prevailing isn't so certain... nor is a material settlement. That's my perspective on the whole suit thing here.

Last edited:
They can be sued if they have given false/misleading info which spurred LE on a multi-million dollar goose chase. IMO.
Agreed.
At least if they lied, the Laundries need to be forced aka sued by the state to pony up the cash for the search ?
It would be the right action.
We don't know if this happened, but if it did, it's a massive slap in the face to Gabby's grieving family. :mad:
Imo.

BL mowed daddy’s lawn when he came home, I wonder why and the bike ride with mom BL HAD to be worn out after his drive home
BL began establishing his alibi the moment he decided to flee the crime scene and hitch a ride to Jackson Hole. In distancing himself from the crime scene and offering a ridiculously high $200 for a ten mile ride, he was trying to create a time memorial. That's what an alibi is, a time memorial. Having done that, and probably thinking better about hitchhiking anywhere, he opts to hitch back to the crime scene, rip off his victim, do an E.T. (phone home), and hotfoot it back to North Port.
Once there, and fully informed, everyone acts like its another day in the burbs. Brian is out and about in an effort to bolster his alibi. Jesus...she's out in the open in the wild, thousands of acres of terrain that would need searching, decomposition on his side, hungry animals nibbling bits of his handiwork away - and I'm HERE! SEE! ITS ME, BRIAN! HERE! NOT THERE! I expect he had already concocted some story about HER decision to break up and go off on her own, then fly back. Problem is, the Petitos are like pitbulls. Still, let's continue on establishing an alibi. Let's mow the lawn, fool around in the van and camper with dad (an evidence cleanup?).

Despite the alibi, the Laundries are getting really nervous. A family smoresfest is planned where the wagons are circled, the get lost strategy is hashed out and everyone says their goodbyes to old Bri. *poof* No Brian after the smoresfest.

So, Brian's and the Laundries attempt at an alibi got a little shaky when they lost faith in it and the rate a body decomposes. And those dam**d Petitos breathing down their necks. Brian had to go far away while the Laundries threw a pork chop into the local gator sanctuary...and called it Brian.

Don't look to the Laundries for anything. Nothing.

So that makes him more dependent on mom than dad? I agree many people don't live at home but a majority (52%) in the US did in 2020 (age 18-29). And Gabby always lived with family too, her own or BL's or a close godparent. The purported dependence BL had on mom is something I've not observed except in posts here. We don't even know how often he called home while traveling. We don't know if he called mom or dad. But an abnormal "mother connection" is the only one mentioned.

A majority of young adults in the U.S. live with their parents for the first time since the Great Depression
If you are not working in an economy where employers are struggling to find enough workers, you are a slacker and have no goals whatsoever unless you are attending school. I also have thoughts about the living situation over the course of the years that relate to GP as well. But GP is a victim. I will just say that the entire scenario was never very healthy to begin with. IMO.

In a discussion I had with dozens of parents with adult kids, some of them LE, all of them law abiding, none of them would have done. Doesn’t mean they are right, but any LE and attorney will tell you that it’s not a good idea to talk at that point. Regardless of their cooperation, Laundries were almost certainly going to be sued to ruination because of what their son did. It’s not like they had any good news for Gabby’s family either.

My initial reaction to this case was to be appalled about Laundries’ reactions , but n time, I can see why Laundries and their attorney taking the path they have. BL, a whole other story. But MOO, parents may not have known. BL could have come home and just refused to talk about it, and I certainly would not have suspected that Gabby was just left, let alone killed.
And, yes, when messages came from her family indicating something ominous, yes, I’d call someone with experience in this sordid mess. I would not know what to do.

"Doesn’t mean they are right, but any LE and attorney will tell you that it’s not a good idea to talk at that point."

At what point? The point their son came home alone with the van? Is that when they needed a lawyer? Why would they need a lawyer at that point? Unless they knew she was dead? Because if she wasn't dead, and they just broke up, no need for a lawyer. Have the son call her parents and tell them they broke up and he took the van and she did...whatever she did. And, when her parents called and texted, talk to them.

But, they didn't talk to her parents. WHY not? Did they need a lawyer then? Why? Because they knew GP was dead? Because if she wasn't dead, there is no point in not talking to her parents and there was no need for a lawyer. Nobody needs a lawyer when their grown child breaks up with their girl/boyfriend.

So when did they need a lawyer? And why? At what point did they feel in legal jeopardy and in need of invoking their rights to remain silent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa