Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched every season of Alone and I've thought a lot about BL in that context. I don't think he has either the mental fortitude or the physical survival skills to last more than 2-3 weeks in a total "Alone" situation. The participants on Alone have families, friends, entire towns cheering them on and supporting them. They prepared for months, sometimes years, just for this experience. They have thought about exactly what tools and supplies to bring with them. They have a medical team that checks on them periodically, providing some level of human contact. They also know there is an end point. They just have to last longer than everyone else. And they still struggle mightily.

BL has none of that. He's a guy who drives around in a van from one place to another and hikes on marked trails. Has a steady supply of water and food he does not have to procure for himself. He uses $ for that. He doesn't have to build a shelter that withstands the worst of the weather. He just crawls into a cozy van. He has no experience whatsoever surviving alone in the wilderness.

Great show. If you like a side of drama with your survival show binge, Naked and Afraid is pretty good, too. imo

Just to add to that, am sure I read today the answer from Cassie that he'd only done 5 day hikes on the A.Trail.
5 days max

It was a welfare visit. not a courtesy call.
The Moab DV stop occurred on August 12, plenty of time to put that record online.
Also, her home, a vehicle , was there.
Surely a cursory search of at least that would have served them well if it had been photographed at that time?
They had information that she owned it from her father, presumably.

It struck me a bit odd also, LE decided to show up just after midnight at 12:30am? I dunno but if at this point I could see if BL hadn't confessed to his parents, then perhaps the old man was ' got a warrant'? nope.....see ya, here's my lawyers number.

It takes seconds for a dozen or hundreds of crazy people to storm a house. If I were the Laundries, I would consider anyone trespassing anywhere on my property as an imminent threat.
Yea exactly my thoughts. Takes mere seconds for a protest to turn into a murderous mob.

When Can Florida Police Conduct A Search Without A Warrant? | Miami Search Warrant Lawyers
I've already raised this point in prior posts. Emergency/Exigent Circumstances. Again, IMO, there was no probable cause. In hindsight, we know the emergency was real. From LE perspective, what was the justification? LE can't go around kicking in doors because an adult hasn't been in contact with family. GP did not have to be where the van was located. What was the emergency? MOO.

missing person is invariably an emergency. Time is of the essence.
ETA link and text
The Missing Endangered Persons Information Clearinghouse (MEPIC) operates in accordance Florida Statute 937.022.
Per statute, MEPIC may accept missing person's cases that meet the following criteria:
  • Any missing child who is seventeen (17) years of age or younger; or
  • Any missing adult who is between the ages of 18-25; or,
  • Any missing person 26 years of age or older who is suspected by law enforcement of being endangered or the victim of criminal activity.
Gabby was just 22. She fits the criteria for missing endangered.
MEPIC :: Case Criteria

Last edited:
A record is still created because thy responded to a 911 call.
Yes, of course there is a record. I just don't believe it would be transmitted to North Port or other LE agencies. I do know that the Sheriff's Office here in my FL county can access easily the calls that have been made to/from a particular address. I just don't think North Port has access to a DV call in Wyoming that didn't result in charges. JMO.

I suspect your position is an unpopular one here, but I agree that remaining silent was the best option for the Laundries given the circumstances. Infuriating? Yes. When all of our own projected morality and emotional outrage is removed from the situation (and I hold space for all of it) we come down to the legal side of things. Remaining silent and following their attorney's guidance is just practical, IMO.

-- changed wording
I actually support the Laundries right to remain silent and I believe it’s likely the best legal maneuver for them in this case. What I cannot support, however, is them not picking up the phone for Gabby’s parents and stating “hi, BL is with us. Gabby is not here. We can’t speak more.” I believe any parent understands the fear of a missing child and there are ways to be decent human beings as well as to uphold your legal rights. Further what I cannot condone whatsoever are the texts and statements made by their attorney calling someone “that dog” and degrading people who are trying to help locate their son. If they had just remained silent, I would understand that. Their lawyer, however, is not silent and is creating quite a lot of animosity toward the family, IMO.

All JMO.

Yes, of course there is a record. I just don't believe it would be transmitted to North Port or other LE agencies. I do know that the Sheriff's Office here in my FL county can access easily the calls that have been made to/from a particular address. I just don't think North Port has access to a DV call in Wyoming that didn't result in charges. JMO.

Pretty sure there are websites that capture and save all that traffic in the cloud.

At the time the missing person report was filed, all the police knew was that GP and BL were touring/vacationing in the WY and/or Yosemite area and that GP, BL and BL's parents were not responding to texts/calls.

I think the police would naturally check the Laundrie residence because for all they knew something happened to them, too. imo

Right in the meantime the Laundrie's son had arrived home days earlier without his girlfriend/possible future wife.

-They also went on a camping trip with him days before, breathing in fresh sea air and taking family photos!

-Her van is in the driveway.

And so they play the "lawyer card" when the police arrive to do a wellness check -even if Brian told them a story - they still knew "that story".

Right.

Makes me ill.

JMO

Last edited:
I actually support the Laundries right to remain silent and I believe it’s likely the best legal maneuver for them in this case. What I cannot support, however, is them not picking up the phone for Gabby’s parents and stating “hi, BL is with us. Gabby is not here. We can’t speak more.” I believe any parent understands the fear of a missing child and there are ways to be decent human beings as well as to uphold your legal rights. Further what I cannot condone whatsoever are the texts and statements made by their attorney calling someone “that dog” and degrading people who are trying to help locate their son. If they had just remained silent, I would understand that. Their lawyer, however, is not silent and is creating quite a lot of animosity toward the family, IMO.

All JMO.

Could you imagine paying somebody who acted like that to guide you? :eek:

I'd want my money back.

ETA link and text
The Missing Endangered Persons Information Clearinghouse (MEPIC) operates in accordance Florida Statute 937.022.
Per statute, MEPIC may accept missing person's cases that meet the following criteria:
  • Any missing person 26 years of age or older who is suspected by law enforcement of being endangered or the victim of criminal activity.
Would the fact that she was reported as a missing person in NY make a difference? If I understood correctly FL told NP that she had to file it in NY.

And trespassing on personal property. Most communities also have sign ordinances - even in election cycles. They have to removed within a certain period of time and permission given before they are posted on private property.
Doesn't their property extend to the sidewalk? Those signs are on stakes stuck into the edge of their lawn and people tromp on their lawn and driveway all the time. Take photos of them for trespassing ....although they are on video all the time too. Maybe they don't want to escalate the animosity, out of fear for their personal welfare. But if the protesters want the police to DO something, they should be petitioning the police...even though the police aren't going to do anything beyond their assignment. jmo

Would the fact that she was reported as a missing person in NY make a difference? If I understood correctly FL told NP that she had to file it in NY.
NPPD are Florida. They were tasked with investigating it.

All JMO.

IMO, anything they said could have implicated them or their son and been used against them. Once words are spoken it opens up further questioning. I don't like it myself, but I truly understand that remaining silent was their best option.

Frustrating, I know.

And I do not agree with their attorney's demeaning statements against those you've mentioned. I cringe at what I consider such unprofessional behavior.

Again, all my own opinion.

I had also been searching for clarification on the criminal jurisdiction for homicide specifically in a National Forest (vs. a National Park). Someone upthread mentioned the Marvin Gabrion case. May I add a couple of other example cases to our collective research.

22 MS-13 Gang Members Charged With Machete Murders In Angeles National Forest

Two Set to Appear in Federal Court on Charges of Murder on Federal Land — FBI

In the MS-13 case (which included crimes across several counties), the People of California waived any interest in prosecuting them. There are other cases in the same forest that were prosecuted locally (felonies, including at least one murder). I think this is really typical - if a State can get the Feds to do it, they will. However, I do think that States could assert their right under statute to have their own local laws upheld by the Federal Government.

Interesting jurisdictional situations - but there are definitely NF cases that ended up tried in local counties, guess the Feds weren't interested. There was no FBI or Federal involvement when Barbara Thomas went missing in Mojave National Preserve (administered by the NPS). I always wondered what would have happened if that been a homicide.

I very much look forward to the capture of BL, if he is out there. I'm guessing this may well become a Federal murder case (at least part of the crime was in a NPS, I doubt Teton County wants it - especially bringing all that media into Jackson...yikes).

ETA link and text

Apparently, this issue is addressed in the search warrant -- which has been posted here before IIRC.

From the link:

The timeline also stated that due to the circumstances related to Petito’s mental health, North Port Police believe there is probable cause that she is not able to care for herself due to “her increased anxiety” and concerns for her welfare had increased to an “exigent level.”

Gabby Petito investigation: Florida police search warrant provides new details | WANE 15

"Pot, kettle" springs to mind.

Surely, we can't be selective in our condemnation of violence and bullying? It can't be accepted that GP slapped BL but not accepted if BL slapped her back.

It can't be OK for JP to mock BL by calling him Brianna but then it not be OK for BL to mock GP by saying she was working on her, "little blog".

If you're against bullying, violence, cruelty and abuse, then there shouldn't be any exceptions, excuses or double standards. You have to be against it all otherwise what's the point!?

JMO/MOO etc etc
What is Reactive Abuse? Everything You Need to Know - YANA Mental Health
All things are not always equal.

Also, the flip side of your post is that we support the Laundries’ right to exercise their Constitutional rights and act by the letter of the law. Thereby must we not also support the same for the people protesting on the street outside their house?

JMO.

Apparently, this issue is addressed in the search warrant -- which has been posted here before IIRC.

The timeline also stated that due to the circumstances related to Petito’s mental health, North Port Police believe there is probable cause that she is not able to care for herself due to “her increased anxiety” and concerns for her welfare had increased to an “exigent level.”

Gabby Petito investigation: Florida police search warrant provides new details | WANE 15
Even without that record she still fits criteria for missing/endangered die to her age.

Even without that record she still fits criteria for missing/endangered die to her age.

But I don't think qualifying as missing/endangered means that LE can enter the Laundrie's home without a warrant. NPPD obviously didn't think so, hence the warrant citing "exigent circumstances." It's also notable that the exigent circumstances they cited had nothing to do with any Laundrie. jmo

Last edited:
ETA link and text
This means that GP could be submitted to the clearinghouse based on her age and the fact that there is a missing person report. It doesn't mean, IMO, that based solely on age, LE is now given permission to circumvent the Constitution. The Constitution is not negated by clearinghouse criteria to be added to a list. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname