Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #76

Status
Not open for further replies.

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, said that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

MEDIA, MAPS thread *NO DISCUSSION*

TIMELINE thread *NO DISCUSSION*

Case Players and Initials Reference List

Kick Back and Unwind - Off Topic Side Chat

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread is Open:

Please acknowledge before proceeding

Emotions and frustration are running rampant in the thread and taking it out on others is not permitted. If you need a break, take a break. Continuing to engage in this fashion is not moving the conversation forward.

Of Note:
-Move on from bickering
-Let go of the domestic violence debates
-Stop bringing in mental health

Tip: When you feel most compelled to hit "post" after quickly whipping up that response, see it as a sign you need to step back and re-read what you have written before clicking that button!

Please continue here…

*REMINDER: WS Volunteer Admins and Mods are not online 24/7. We may need some time to clean up posts against TOS* AND when there are pages of them it may require closing the thread.

Have a great day everyone!

“Gabby’s family is not doing interviews or making a statement at this time," Petito-Schmidt family attorney Rick Stafford said in a statement to Fox News correspondent Laura Ingle. "They are grieving the loss of their beautiful daughter. Gabby’s family will make a statement at the appropriate time and when they are emotionally ready."
.………………………………………………………………………
Steven Bertolino, the attorney for Brian Laundrie and his parents, gave an animated TV interview on Thursday just half an hour after the FBI confirmed that human remains found in a nature reserve near the family's home belonged to his client.

"I’m upset, I’m angry, and for the last four hours I’ve been dealing with — I just have to call it nonsense," Bertolino told NewsNation on Thursday.

The attorney, who has represented the Laundries since mid-September, took shots at the media, the public, and protesters outside of the family's North Port home.
……………………………………………………………………………
A memorial that has appeared outside of the Laundrie family home in North Port, Fla., has grown following the FBI's confirmation that the human remains recovered from the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park were Brian Laundrie's, according to Fox35 Orlando.
………………………………………………………………………………
Brian Laundrie: Gabby Petito's family issues statement after confirmation of remains: LIVE UPDATES
………………………………………………………………………………
“Chris and Roberta Laundrie have been informed that the remains found yesterday in the reserve are indeed Brian’s,” Steven Bertolino, the attorney representing the Laundrie family said.

“Chris and Roberta Laundrie are parents they are just people they have feelings they have children one of their children has just been confirmed as dead its sad under any circumstances,” the attorney later told NBC News.

Gabby Petito’s family’s attorney said they were “grieving the loss of their beautiful daughter.”
Brian’s Laundrie’s remains found: What happens next? | WFLA
Eta:

Re: Notebook concerns
I am a professional art/artifact conservator with a lot of disaster response experience.
The notebook, which we now know is in fact a paper notebook, is going to be completely salvageable.
The FBI knows how to deal with this because we train them and have people on contract to respond with non disclosure.
The notebook will need to be dried out completely usually with circulating air, fanned open, to prevent pages from sticking together and mold growth
then it can be be separated with each page washed to remove any debris or biogrowth.
The ink, I am 100% sure will not be affected by any of this. really only washable markers and some art pens are the only thing water would wash out and ink is mostly soluble in alcohol, if at all.

bottom line, the notebook would be okay, but yeah its no guarantee of why

Last edited:
Re: Notebook concerns
I am a professional art/artifact conservator with a lot of disaster response experience.
The notebook, which we now know is in fact a paper notebook, is going to be completely salvageable.
The FBI knows how to deal with this because we train them and have people on contract to respond with non disclosure.
The notebook will need to be dried out completely usually with circulating air, fanned open, to prevent pages from sticking together and mold growth
then it can be be separated with each page washed to remove any debris or biogrowth.
The ink, I am 100% sure will not be affected by any of this. really only washable markers and some art pens are the only thing water would wash out and ink is mostly soluble in alcohol, if at all.

bottom line, the notebook would be okay, but yeah its no guarentee
Would it make it easier to salvage the ink if it was waterproof ink? In the picture from SM with him and his green notebook, the pens he had with it are Micron PN and those are supposed to be waterproof archival ink.

Would it make it easier to salvage the ink if it was waterproof ink? In the picture from SM with him and his green notebook, the pens he had with it are Micron PN and those are supposed to be waterproof archival ink.
yes... and I'm sure he probably used those pens.... that said he could have used a ball point pen or pencil too and been just fine.

He’s angry at himself and projecting would be an alternate view

He gave terrible advice somewhere along the way and a man has taken his own life as a result. This is my opinion. But the Laundries certainly didn't have to heed his advice, so I believe they are responsible too. Their sign could still be alive if different choices had been made.
IMO MOO

Yesterday Bertolino made the rounds with his PR interviews…guess he’s still doing them. I watched his interview on GMA this morning. George Stephanoplis didn’t let him fluff it through. Sorry, haven’t found a video to post yet.

Thank you mods for all of your hard work! you guys are truly amazing!
I can't stop thinking about the picture of the dry bag that fox news released yesterday, the one with a black object peeking out of it. I've attached a picture of it below and here is a link to the article with the photo. What is that black, rectangular thing? I thought that it was a notebook. There's what appears to be a gold foil butterfly (IMO) on it. it could be a leaf or something else but IMO it looks like a butterfly. It also appears to be fairly large, you can see the impression it leaves on the dry bag. If the butterfly is on it, that means that it would have to be pretty thick/deep as well. There's some dark black embossing that's shiny and raised on the corner peeking out. Maybe it's one of those big, beefy leather journals with embossing/decoration that you can buy on sites like Etsy? Or because of the dimensions maybe it's a box? I looked on Etsy and google for something similar and can't find anything like it. It seems as though something tore the other bottom corner of the dry bag as well?

Attachments

• drybag.jpg
    drybag.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 266
I believe, regardless if it's salvageable we'll never get to know what's in there.
I think we will, the timing will just depend on what is in there. The investigation isn't closed, as far as I know anyway. There are still a lot of questions to be answered. I think eventually, even if it's years down the road, most of the information will come out to the public, even if it's from a third party and not the Laundries.

What is that black, rectangular thing? I thought that it was a notebook. There's what appears to be a gold foil butterfly (IMO) on it. it could be a leaf or something else but IMO it looks like a butterfly. It also appears to be fairly large, you can see the impression it leaves on the dry bag. If the butterfly is on it, that means that it would have to be pretty thick/deep as well. There's some dark black embossing that's shiny and raised on the corner peeking out. Maybe it's one of those big, beefy leather journals with embossing/decoration that you can buy on sites like Etsy? Or because of the dimensions maybe it's a box? I looked on Etsy and google for something similar and can't find anything like it. It seems as though something tore the other bottom corner of the dry bag as well?
The dry bag in your picture was found separately from the backpack and notebook. The Laundries found this bag off the trail along with a "dark object" which they put in the bag. So not sure what it is but its not the notebook because that was with the backpack and remains further down the trail

Thank you mods for all of your hard work! you guys are truly amazing!
I can't stop thinking about the picture of the dry bag that fox news released yesterday, the one with a black object peeking out of it. I've attached a picture of it below and here is a link to the article with the photo. What is that black, rectangular thing? I thought that it was a notebook. There's what appears to be a gold foil butterfly (IMO) on it. it could be a leaf or something else but IMO it looks like a butterfly. It also appears to be fairly large, you can see the impression it leaves on the dry bag. If the butterfly is on it, that means that it would have to be pretty thick/deep as well. There's some dark black embossing that's shiny and raised on the corner peeking out. Maybe it's one of those big, beefy leather journals with embossing/decoration that you can buy on sites like Etsy? Or because of the dimensions maybe it's a box? I looked on Etsy and google for something similar and can't find anything like it. It seems as though something tore the other bottom corner of the dry bag as well?

It looks like the bottom of a shoe/boot. Very common contents in a dry bag.

Looking closer the two yellow dots may be a vibram sole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard