Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. That make sense. I never thought there were 3 accounts but some people seemed so sure!

So to use/get $ from the acct with the debit card you would use the card and PIN. Very common way to access an acct. How is the other account accessed? With just a PIN? I'm not understanding that unless somehow her phone was involved. What am I missing?
JMO
I think you're missing an ATM. The debit card and pin may have been used at a gas station, store etc. That would default to the primary account the debit card draws from. You can only access another linked account with that same debit card and pin at an ATM. That's 1 card, 1 pin, 2 accounts. imo

That would be logical to travel as you described, but nothing about this whole thing is rooted in logic. It's a short distance and there are a number of ways (including Gabby's own van) she might have traveled from SLC to Ogden before 8/24.

My real question is "Why was a Halloween greeting posted on August 24th?" Maybe "Happy Fall, Y'all" that early....but the reference to Halloween is so odd to me!

I've wondered about this myself. Halloween was the date they were originally expected back in New York. Did Gabby post this as some kind of a message?

I think you're missing an ATM. The debit card and pin may have been used at a gas station, store etc. That would default to the primary account the debit card draws from. You can only access another linked account with that same debit card and pin at an ATM. That's 1 card, 1 pin, 2 accounts. imo

That makes sense. Debit card for purchases (from the checking account by default). ATM for cash (from the checking or savings account) or to move cash from the savings to the checking to cover more debit purchases.

Many debit cards also operate as credit cards if you're set up for it. You'll see a visa /MC logo on the card and you can make the selection at the point of sale if they're set up for it.

Right. But I was trying to work out how it could work not using an ATM or going to the bank AND not using a phone. Don't think it can without one of those.
JMO

Many debit cards also operate as credit cards if you're set up for it. You'll see a visa /MC logo on the card and you can make the selection at the point of sale if they're set up for it.
Right. But when you select "credit" it asks for a signature and not a pin. BL used an actual pin to access 2 separate accounts. That's why I'm thinking an ATM is involved. jmo

ETA: Even if you select "credit" it still defaults to the same account. You still don't get an option at point of sale to select an entirely different account.

Right. But I was trying to work out how it could work not using an ATM or going to the bank AND not using a phone. Don't think it can without one of those.
JMO
Website or calling in (using any phone). Banking is super- convenient and very low-touch (meaning dealing with a human or being physically present somewhere) these days.

Right. But when you select "credit" it asks for a signature and not a pin. BL used an actual pin to access 2 separate accounts. That's why I'm thinking an ATM is involved. jmo
Not always sig required even for credit, and in any case no human is checking signatures (at most stores), nor do electronic signature pads run any sort of sig check against what your bank has on file.

Eta - I'll have to re-read the indictment but didn't recall that there were specifics that for each transaction both a card and PIN were used.

Eta2 - nope, it doesn't. Simply states that one or more unauth access devices, namely a debit card and a PIN linked to 2 accounts, was/were used during the specified period of time.

Last edited:
SB is relentless in separating the matters to do with BL from those to do with GP. Technically, yes, there's a thread there that makes sense. However, imo he is personally vested (and thus compromised by a conflict, which could impact/have impacted the quality of his legal counsel) in this separation for his own professional concerns.

While I understand what you're saying, he is trying to represent his clients to the best of his ability. And to do that, his strategy is to separate the two instances - Gabby being murdered and Brian going missing. At this point in time, remember, it is public speculation that Brian killed Gabby. The police have not released any evidence or information tying him to her murder. Yes, there is circumstantial evidence - the fight, he was the last one to see her alive, DV, control issues. But right now, if there is evidence directly indicating Brian killed Gabby, LE hasn't released it.

Lawyers have many strategies, and in representing the Laundrie Parents, they were only concerned with their child. And he is trying to separate the two instances. (I still don't like SB and don't think he's helping his clients in these interviews).

JMO
It is my own opinion that an atm was used. But here is a speculation for you to fit no atm, bank or phone. Many places offer cash back with a debit card purchase. So BL makes purchase at gas station with debit card (and pin), to which he adds some amount of cash back. Debit/checking acct is tapped out. When bank processes the charge the overdraft is payed from the savings acct attached to the debit card (typical overdraft protection policy)

ETA: Even if you select "credit" it still defaults to the same account. You still don't get an option at point of sale to select an entirely different account.
Re your Eta - right, and the indictment does not state that both accounts were accessed; however, as I mentioned above, the most common overdraft process (if protection was elected) is a savings or other linked account as the backup so there is no overdraft /fees and the transaction can still go through..

if the van wasn't towed until the 14th, where was it? it wasn't in the driveway or in front of the house in any local or national video from the laundrie home that has been posted here...there has been video posted here from 9/13 on...specifically, video from 9/13 has been posted here to show that the mustang was not at the residence at that point in time...the van was not there either...moo

I don't understand why this is happening with regards to wrong timelines. LE Nppd did a wellness check on Gabby at the Laundrie's home on 9/10, after Petito's weren't getting any response from the Laundrie family. LE Suffolk County reported to NS that the van was at the Laundrie home but Gabby wasn't present.

It was on the 11th that NS was finally able to file a missing person's report with Suffolk County. For unknown reason's NPPD refused to file the report on the 10th.

On the 11th of September at approximately 11:00 NPPD towed Gabby's van off the Laundries driveway and handed LE the card of their attorney SB.

Those are the facts that the public do know and dates in the timeline on websleuths would provide verification of those events.

BL disappeared on 9/13 two days after Gabby was finally reported missing and the van was towed. I can only speculate on when/if the FBI took the van into their custody after being the lead on the entire case. JMO

Re your Eta - right, and the indictment does not state that both accounts were accessed; however, as I mentioned above, the most common overdraft process (if protection was elected) is a savings or other linked account as the backup so there is no overdraft /fees and the transaction can still go through..
Good point. He could have overdrawn the checking and some kind of overdraft kicked in, dragging the other account into the equation without BL actually accessing the other account himself. jmo

I don't understand why this is happening with regards to wrong timelines. LE Nppd did a wellness check on Gabby at the Laundrie's home on 9/10, after Petito's weren't getting any response from the Laundrie family. LE Suffolk County reported to NS that the van was at the Laundrie home but Gabby wasn't present.

It was on the 11th that NS was finally able to file a missing person's report with Suffolk County. For unknown reason's NPPD refused to file the report on the 10th.

On the 11th of September at approximately 11:00 NPPD towed Gabby's van off the Laundries driveway and handed LE the card of their attorney SB.

Those are the facts that the public do know and dates in the timeline on websleuths would provide verification of those events.

BL disappeared on 9/13 two days after Gabby was finally reported missing and the van was towed. I can only speculate on when/if the FBI took the van into their custody after being the lead on the entire case. JMO

This is a good recap from WFLA of important dates: Gabby Petito investigation timeline

I have the same account set up as Gabby did with CapitalOne. I have extended credit that kicks in as overdraft protection. I could link savings for the same reasons, but choose not to use it. JMO

I use my debit cards as credit cards and almost never have to sign at any terminal anymore. It's rare I get a slip to sign. I usually hit credit vs. debit for security purposes and to avoid putting in my pin.

Also, you can get cash back at many places when you use your pin. Grocery stores, gas stations, etc. BL may have made purchases and opted for cash back when he paid. And yes, ATMs make sense. The thing about ATMs at banks is that banks film all ATM transactions, I believe. Maybe that's how they pinged him.

MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member