Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, her death coming later rather than earlier makes more sense in my perspective of the timeline, as well, <modsnip - no link to a approved source> I'd really like to know what they were doing on the 28th.
The date of 8-28 is a good question given that we know nothing of what either Gabby or BL were doing that day,
no official sightings or anything.

I agree this time period of last summer was a 'figure it out stage' for them. I really wonder how much the financial gain - monetizing their trip - figured into their adventure out west. It could have been another trial run for an idea, this time with the van. She didn't even start the website or the videos until halfway or more through the trip. Normally I would think if this was going to be a business move or for financial gain they would have started the website (and the intro video Gabby made much later) BEFORE the trip and then added to that as they went. She was really late in starting to monetize their trip if that's what the plan was. It might have been completely incidental to their trip. or something they thought of later. I doubt at this point that monetizing the trip was the initial plan. IMO

To be honest those Halloween posts of Gabby's looked to me like she had evolved into aspirations of being an Instagram model/influencer. Like modeling clothes and things, more so than a van lifestyle.

MOO
BBM
Not to mention much of Gabby's YT video looks to be from older trips and almost nothing from this trip.

I agree with your Insta model/influencer thought. Although we have absolutely no idea what Gabby could have been thinking about; perhaps even she didn't know what she wanted to achieve with any of this.
MOO

I wanted to post this. It's from the Psychology Today article on murder/suicides that I linked earlier. At the end of the article, it breaks it down into ages and what the most likely motivation was for each group. Who the heck knows if it's relevant, but it's a short piece and it's interesting.

The Tragedy of Murder-Suicides

A Recipe for Murder-Suicide: Threat of Loss and Pre-Existing Conditions

The circumstances around that threat are often different depending upon the age and circumstances of the perpetrator:

• Age 20-35: Murder-suicide perpetrators in this age range typically target current or former intimate partners. In the relationship, the perpetrator tends to be controlling and possessive if not psychologically and/or physically abusive. On the one hand, he treats her with disrespect and domination; on the other, his entire sense of self is dependent upon the relationship. Against this backdrop of ambivalence and emotional dependence may be a history of alcohol and drug use, sexual jealousy, and previous homicidal or suicidal threats. The partner separates or breaks up with the perpetrator, which triggers frantic attempts to reconcile. If these fail and the perpetrator has access to firearms, this can result in a perfect—and deadly—storm.
Thanks for this, the article was an interesting read. Is there a linking article that shows method of murder-suicide, as this article seems to point to firearms are being the weapon of choice.

Something really insignificant is bothering me today.

If you google directions from Spread Creek or Grand Teton National Park, WY to North Port, FL, it always directs you up to Moran and east on Hwy. 287. It is 35 hours. It does not direct you through Jackson. If you google directions to North Port, FL from Jackson, specifically, then it takes you south on Hwy. 191, which is 36 hours (1 hour longer plus the 37 minutes from Spread Creek to Jackson).

If BL googled directions back to North Port (who knows if he did), then if he did if from anywhere near Spread Creek, it likely would not have sent him through Jackson. If he had a full tank of gas (like if they had filled the tank in Jackson on the 27th), he could maybe get to Laramie at the farthest (about 350 miles), less than 6 hours away. Or he could have filled up anywhere along the way.

I don't really have a point here, other than curios ramblings. Just milling around while considering rumored sightings, text messages, and other dates...

Thanks for this, the article was an interesting read. Is there a linking article that shows method of murder-suicide, as this article seems to point to firearms are being the weapon of choice.

This article is originally from Oxford University Press. I researched the author and it seems to be legit, although the link below is to an internet content server. It's a bit dry, but there's some good info on methods in it. It states that 92% of murder-suicides in the US involve firearms. However, strangulation is one of the more popular methods in murder-suicides in England and Wales. IMO, that could possibly be related to the easy availability of firearms here.

The Dynamics of Murder-Suicide in Domestic Situations -- van Wormer 8 (3): 274 -- Brief Treatment and Crisis Intervention

BBM
Not to mention much of Gabby's YT video looks to be from older trips and almost nothing from this trip.

I agree with your Insta model/influencer thought. Although we have absolutely no idea what Gabby could have been thinking about; perhaps even she didn't know what she wanted to achieve with any of this.
MOO

I've mentioned Sam Chui, previously. He does air travel videos and had one where he spoke to a group of young people who were interested in creating content for a living. It was mind boggling how much work he had put in (while working a "real" job) before he ever started making money. It seems that jobs like this have to start as "labors of love" way before they start generating income. It could be that the first trip was an adventure and the second turned into harsh reality. As others have mentioned - strip away the façade of online "stardom" and "van life" is essentially mobile homelessness.

Between the co-op in Moab and the restaurant in Jackson, they could have seen enough servers and cashiers to think "we left jobs like that and now we're dirty, hungry and broke - what happened?"

I really think this murder suicide had something to do with what Brian was experiencing on this trip. I read up on that book he was reading on "burnout". We cant go into it here. But, that seems more plausible to me than jealously, etc.

He was failing to cope with being in close quarters with Gabby, and continuing to support her online endeavors. This lead to massive unresolved conflict. imo

I really think this murder suicide had something to do with what Brian was experiencing on this trip. I read up on that book he was reading on "burnout". We cant go into it here. But, that seems more plausible to me than jealously, etc.

He was failing to cope with being in close quarters with Gabby, and continuing to support her online endeavors. This lead to massive unresolved conflict. imo

I truly think the reason he came back to Florida was to say goodbye to his family. He pretended nothing was wrong because he wanted to be remembered in a positive light. Otherwise he would have just took off from Wyoming. Also i think it's very simple, his usual beatings went too far this time and he couldn't face everyone or even himself knowing what he had done

Something really insignificant is bothering me today.

If you google directions from Spread Creek or Grand Teton National Park, WY to North Port, FL, it always directs you up to Moran and east on Hwy. 287. It is 35 hours. It does not direct you through Jackson. If you google directions to North Port, FL from Jackson, specifically, then it takes you south on Hwy. 191, which is 36 hours (1 hour longer plus the 37 minutes from Spread Creek to Jackson).

If BL googled directions back to North Port (who knows if he did), then if he did if from anywhere near Spread Creek, it likely would not have sent him through Jackson. If he had a full tank of gas (like if they had filled the tank in Jackson on the 27th), he could maybe get to Laramie at the farthest (about 350 miles), less than 6 hours away. Or he could have filled up anywhere along the way.

I don't really have a point here, other than curios ramblings. Just milling around while considering rumored sightings, text messages, and other dates...

A quick link for you

Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62

I don’t know if you’ve seen this. It is a super well thought out post from @Starglaze regarding BL’s trip back to North Port. It includes possible timeline, route, gas stop theory, MPG for the van and other nuggets.

A quick link for you

Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62

I don’t know if you’ve seen this. It is a super well thought out post from @Starglaze regarding BL’s trip back to North Port. It includes possible timeline, route, gas stop theory, MPG for the van and other nuggets.
Thank you! I had seen it, but lost track. It's a great and helpful post! I agree with @Starglaze on the timing (and also thinking he left SC the morning of the 30th.

NCWatcher said:
But IMO NPPD is now trying to say "but they didn't live here either" to make themselves look better.

I think that the comments from NPPD are indeed CYA, but for a different reason. Here’s my perspective…

I’ve been seeking GP’s address of record (DL/ID, passport, voter ID, USPS change of address) since the very beginning of this case. There have been various reasons as the case moved along, I will address the very first reason here.

I believe NPPD went to wabasso ave on 9/10 to perform a welfare/wellness check on GP, JMO. I have been unable to to find the FL state or local statutes on welfare checks (please hook me up if you have them). I do know the laws for where I live tho. In these cases LE is permitted (almost expected) to enter the home of the person who’s welfare is in question. They can even use force. But this can only occur at said person’s address of record.

With this in mind, if GP’s address of record was wabasso ave, and there was a welfare check on 9/10, LE could/should have entered the house and searched for GP. (I have wondered if a homeowner’s rights would supercede this) If they had, and what we’ve been told about BL’s whereabouts is accurate, LE would have encountered BL on 9/10.

What was GP’s address of record? Did NPPD know that GP’s address of record was wabasso ave (IIRC, NS tried to file a missing persons report with NPPD on 9/10)? Did NPPD fail in their due diligence to adequately search for GP at a welfare check? Did NPPD search the house, encounter BL, fail to speak with him, and then ‘lose’ him (I don’t think this is true, but in the early days of the case I thought it was possible)? Was NPPD unable to search the wabasso ave house for GP because of the address given on GP’s missing person report (if a welfare check took place not on 9/10 but 9/11)? Is NPPD using the address on the misper as an excuse or PR misdirection?

you decide.

all MOO.

ETA- I do believe NS entered NY as GP’s address to facilitate the filing if the misper.

Last edited:
NCWatcher said:
But IMO NPPD is now trying to say "but they didn't live here either" to make themselves look better.

I think that the comments from NPPD are indeed CYA, but for a different reason. Here’s my perspective…

I’ve been seeking GP’s address of record (DL/ID, passport, voter ID, USPS change of address) since the very beginning of this case. There have been various reasons as the case moved along, I will address the very first reason here.

I believe NPPD went to wabasso ave on 9/10 to perform a welfare/wellness check on GP, JMO. I have been unable to to find the FL state or local statutes on welfare checks (please hook me up if you have them). I do know the laws for where I live tho. In these cases LE is permitted (almost expected) to enter the home of the person who’s welfare is in question. They can even use force. But this can only occur at said person’s address of record.

With this in mind, if GP’s address of record was wabasso ave, and there was a welfare check on 9/10, LE could/should have entered the house and searched for GP. (I have wondered if a homeowner’s rights would supercede this) If they had, and what we’ve been told about BL’s whereabouts is accurate, LE would have encountered BL on 9/10.

What was GP’s address of record? Did NPPD know that GP’s address of record was wabasso ave (IIRC, NS tried to file a missing persons report with NPPD on 9/10)? Did NPPD fail in their due diligence to adequately search for GP at a welfare check? Did NPPD search the house, encounter BL, fail to speak with him, and then ‘lose’ him (I don’t think this is true, but in the early days of the case I thought it was possible)? Was NPPD unable to search the wabasso ave house for GP because of the address given on GP’s missing person report (if a welfare check took place not on 9/10 but 9/11)?

you decide.

all MOO.

ETA- I do believe NS entered NY as GP’s address to facilitate the filing if the misper.
That's good information. So if GP did move before the trip, then regardless of the missing person report or anything else, if that address was not her last known, they were not allowed to enter under those circumstances?

Could you share the title of the book? Thanks!

That's good information. So if GP did move before the trip, then regardless of the missing person report or anything else, if that address was not her last known, they were not allowed to enter under those circumstances?

Unfortunately, I do not know the FL or local law. Where I live, if that was not GP’s address of record (not the same thing as last known address), LE would need permission from home owner, or a warrant, or pretty serious probable cause- more than a welfare check, something like they could hear GP screaming inside the house. I think the same would be true whether or not it was merely GP’s last ‘known’ address.

JMO

Unfortunately, I do not know the FL or local law. Where I live, if that was not GP’s address of record (not the same thing as last known address), LE would need permission from home owner, or a warrant, or pretty serious probable cause- more than a welfare check, something like they could hear GP screaming inside the house. I think the same would be true whether or not it was merely GP’s last ‘known’ address.

JMO

I don't know about welfare checks in Florida but Gabby's last known address would be considered her legal address.

She had a vehicle registered in Florida and a driver's license with the Wassbaso address. As far as Florida is concerned this was her legal address. The missing person report should have initially been filed in Florida and for the life of me I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Until she legally changed her car registration and her driver's license address to another State she was still a Florida citizen.

This article is originally from Oxford University Press. I researched the author and it seems to be legit, although the link below is to an internet content server. It's a bit dry, but there's some good info on methods in it. It states that 92% of murder-suicides in the US involve firearms. However, strangulation is one of the more popular methods in murder-suicides in England and Wales. IMO, that could possibly be related to the easy availability of firearms here.

The Dynamics of Murder-Suicide in Domestic Situations -- van Wormer 8 (3): 274 -- Brief Treatment and Crisis Intervention
Thanks for this. An awful lots of (DV) murders in the UK are by stabbing, with the suicide usually by hanging. Any way you look at this either side of the Atlantic, it is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member