Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
NCWatcher said:
But IMO NPPD is now trying to say "but they didn't live here either" to make themselves look better.

I think that the comments from NPPD are indeed CYA, but for a different reason. Here’s my perspective…

I’ve been seeking GP’s address of record (DL/ID, passport, voter ID, USPS change of address) since the very beginning of this case. There have been various reasons as the case moved along, I will address the very first reason here.

I believe NPPD went to wabasso ave on 9/10 to perform a welfare/wellness check on GP, JMO. I have been unable to to find the FL state or local statutes on welfare checks (please hook me up if you have them). I do know the laws for where I live tho. In these cases LE is permitted (almost expected) to enter the home of the person who’s welfare is in question. They can even use force. But this can only occur at said person’s address of record.

With this in mind, if GP’s address of record was wabasso ave, and there was a welfare check on 9/10, LE could/should have entered the house and searched for GP. (I have wondered if a homeowner’s rights would supercede this) If they had, and what we’ve been told about BL’s whereabouts is accurate, LE would have encountered BL on 9/10.

What was GP’s address of record? Did NPPD know that GP’s address of record was wabasso ave (IIRC, NS tried to file a missing persons report with NPPD on 9/10)? Did NPPD fail in their due diligence to adequately search for GP at a welfare check? Did NPPD search the house, encounter BL, fail to speak with him, and then ‘lose’ him (I don’t think this is true, but in the early days of the case I thought it was possible)? Was NPPD unable to search the wabasso ave house for GP because of the address given on GP’s missing person report (if a welfare check took place not on 9/10 but 9/11)? Is NPPD using the address on the misper as an excuse or PR misdirection?

you decide.

all MOO.

ETA- I do believe NS entered NY as GP’s address to facilitate the filing if the misper.

I don't know the state/local laws in North Port, Florida either. I do know that police may be able to enter a person's home without a warrant if a credible request for a welfare/wellness check has been made. But I'm not sure that means they can enter if an adult answers the door and says X isn't here as the L's apparently did.

Where i live (NC) welfare checks are done when out of town family or friends can't get in touch with the person OR with others with whom the person lives. So a person living alone or even a couple or family might not be able to be reached. Once LE comes to the house, if someone who lives in the house says he/she/they are not here, that's it. LE isn't expected to enter (or even allowed to enter unless invited in.) On the other hand, if no one answers the door they are not supposed to just go away either. So if LE knocked and no one ever came to the door at the L's they should not have simply left. But that's not what happened.

Family could be worried about just about anything, of course but welfare checks are commonly done if family/friends are worried someone may have been taken ill or may have "fallen and can't get up." But the assumption isn't that the person is being held against her will in her home by other people who live there. So I don't think it's possible to convert a welfare check into a warrantless search after the homeowner has said X is not here unless there are obvious signs of an emergency (like screams)

Of course, there could be a bad outcome if LE doesn't enter a dwelling although it made no difference in GP's situation. But dispensing with warrants across the board any time a friend or relative claims to be worried about what's happening in a house would be a very big deal.
JMO

@Barbie619

I don't know about welfare checks in Florida but Gabby's last known address would be considered her legal address

I’m not sure what “legal” address means. I know what address of record means, and how it applies to the law where I live. It is not the same as “last known address”, which has different applications as far as the law.

She had a vehicle registered in Florida and a driver's license with the Wassbaso address. As far as Florida is concerned this was her legal address. The missing person report should have initially been filed in Florida and for the life of me I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Have you seen the wabasso address on her FL DL?! Could you PLEASE post a link? I’ve been trying to verify this forever. The best I’ve seen (shout out to @meatandcookies) is a screen shot from the Moab video. It was clearly a vertical FL DL, but we could not make out the addy.

it has been shown, with evidence, in the threads that NPPD did not accept a missing person report for GP because FL statutes require that mispers are filed where a person went missing from (last seen location). No link, so moo, but you could find it in a search of the threads.

…she was still a Florida citizen.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. I know GP was a Florida citizen. Or resident per her DL. What I’m getting at, is her street address.

nitpicky things, I know. But those are the details I am interested in.

all moo.

Last edited:
@Barbie619

I don't know about welfare checks in Florida but Gabby's last known address would be considered her legal address

I’m not sure what “legal” address means. I know what address of record means, and how it applies to the law where I live. It is not the same as “last known address”, which has different applications as far as the law.

She had a vehicle registered in Florida and a driver's license with the Wassbaso address. As far as Florida is concerned this was her legal address. The missing person report should have initially been filed in Florida and for the life of me I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Have you seen the wabasso address on her FL DL?! Could you PLEASE post a link? I’ve been trying to verify this forever. The best I’ve seen (shout out to @meatandcookies) is a screen shot from the Moab video. It was clearly a vertical FL DL, but we could not make out the addy.

it has been shown, with evidence, in the threads that NPPD did not accept a missing person report for GP because FL statutes require that mispers are filed where a person went missing from (last seen location). No link, so moo, but you could find it in a search of the threads.

…she was still a Florida citizen.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. I know GP was a Florida citizen. Or resident per her DL. What I’m getting at is her street address.

nitpicky things, I know. But those are the details I am interested in
Do you think that LE would have picked up any discrepancies at the Moab stop? e.g. drivers licence address not matching the vehicle registration address?

Do you think that LE would have picked up any discrepancies at the Moab stop? e.g. drivers licence address not matching the vehicle registration address?

My opinion?
I think they would have noticed. And it would be up to them whether they made an issue of it. IME, many young adults have mismatched addys (first apartments, traveling, college addys, mail or official paperwork going to a permanent address like their parents house) They did ask GP about her addy. She responded that her license said she lived in FL but that she was from…
All moo

Wow, this really bothers me...

CNN.com - Transcripts

COOPER: And Dr. Blue, are there things that you cannot disclose that, you know, because of an ongoing investigation? I mean, is there more information that you've been able to get? It would certainly be understandable if, you know there was an -- and that's what you're doing, but is that or is this all the information you know?

BLUE: No, there's more information, but because it's an ongoing investigation, that information is not going to be released. Plus, under the state statutes in Wyoming, the only thing that the coroner is responsible for releasing is the identification of the body and the manner and cause of death, and everything else is essentially protected.

But there are reasons why for instance, in our investigation, we call this a homicide first and then the cause of death later and that had a lot to do with certain circumstances and factors that we observed and found in our investigation.

In this interview, Dr. Blue talks about the LE side of the investigation, and how that is not information he has in regards to doing the autopsy. So the "investigation" he seems to be talking about in the bolded paragraph is the autopsy and related investigation into the body itself. JMO.

We've talked about the signs of strangulation, which leads to the determination of strangulation as a cause of death, but before that was released, the manner was listed as homicide. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but from that bolded statement, it sounds to me that perhaps there were other clear signs at the crime scene, or on the body, besides the indicators of strangulation, that this was a murder. What could those be?

Last edited:
Wow, this really bothers me...

CNN.com - Transcripts

COOPER: And Dr. Blue, are there things that you cannot disclose that, you know, because of an ongoing investigation? I mean, is there more information that you've been able to get? It would certainly be understandable if, you know there was an -- and that's what you're doing, but is that or is this all the information you know?

BLUE: No, there's more information, but because it's an ongoing investigation, that information is not going to be released. Plus, under the state statutes in Wyoming, the only thing that the coroner is responsible for releasing is the identification of the body and the manner and cause of death, and everything else is essentially protected.

But there are reasons why for instance, in our investigation, we call this a homicide first and then the cause of death later and that had a lot to do with certain circumstances and factors that we observed and found in our investigation.

In this interview, Dr. Blue talks about the LE side of the investigation, and how that is not information he has in regards to doing the autopsy. So the "investigation" he seems to be talking about in the bolded paragraph is the autopsy and related investigation into the body itself. JMO.

We've talked about the signs of strangulation, which leads to the determination of strangulation as a cause of death, but before that was released, the manner was listed as homicide. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but from that bolded statement, it sounds to me that perhaps there were other clear signs at the crime scene, or on the body, besides the indicators of strangulation, that this was a murder. What could those be?

JMO but it's hard to bury yourself. So if she was in any way buried, even partially, that would go a long way toward indicating homicide. Really any attempt to conceal.

So very, very sad on every level.

JMO

This whole thing about the driver's license is very odd. The rules/laws are unclear.

For example
One of the main reasons people get a new license when they move is to establish residency in a particular state. However, if you're not concerned about residency then you're totally ignored. When I lived in NYC I would get my driver's license in Alabama. I would use my parents' address. It was so much quicker and simpler. It did not stop me from driving, getting a bank account, voting, working, paying state taxes, or renting an apartment. I did that for over a decade.

Granted this was years ago. Things might have changed. However, where I work now we have to accept ID all the time and it's pretty much the same. We notarize documents and issue passports. People use a driver's license from a state they haven't lived in for 5 years. As long as the license is still valid then all they have to do is bring in additional proof of address, but that's it.

I really think this murder suicide had something to do with what Brian was experiencing on this trip. I read up on that book he was reading on "burnout". We cant go into it here. But, that seems more plausible to me than jealously, etc.

He was failing to cope with being in close quarters with Gabby, and continuing to support her online endeavors. This lead to massive unresolved conflict. imo

I couldn't agree more.

The book he was reading is very telling, and supports the theories I have on this case, none of which I'm able to discuss here, unfortunately.

MOO

This whole thing about the driver's license is very odd. The rules/laws are unclear.

For example
One of the main reasons people get a new license when they move is to establish residency in a particular state. However, if you're not concerned about residency then you're totally ignored. When I lived in NYC I would get my driver's license in Alabama. I would use my parents' address. It was so much quicker and simpler. It did not stop me from driving, getting a bank account, voting, working, paying state taxes, or renting an apartment. I did that for over a decade.

Granted this was years ago. Things might have changed. However, where I work now we have to accept ID all the time and it's pretty much the same. We notarize documents and issue passports. People use a driver's license from a state they haven't lived in for 5 years. As long as the license is still valid then all they have to do is bring in additional proof of address, but that's it.

I can tell you I did the same in my youth, with no issues for many years. Then I moved to AZ, still using my parent’s addy in MD for my DL and automobile registration. I got pulled over for a minor traffic violation and ended up with a $600 fine. I can’t recall the exact term for my crime, it was something like address fraud, and it was because I had not changed the addy on my DL and reg within 30 days of moving.

So AZ, MD, NY, AL, where either of us lives now, all different, likely different in FL too. I wish I could find the FL statutes (or local to NP, if applicable) on this and how it applies to a welfare/wellness check. I’ve searched online sunshine and whatever google offered me, but no luck.

ugh. I thought I had let go of this quest, but it just keeps coming back.

all moo.

I can tell you I did the same in my youth, with no issues for many years. Then I moved to AZ, still using my parent’s addy in MD for my DL and automobile registration. I got pulled over for a minor traffic violation and ended up with a $600 fine. I can’t recall the exact term for my crime, it was something like address fraud, and it was because I had not changed the addy on my DL and reg within 30 days of moving.

So AZ, MD, NY, AL, where either of us lives now, all different, likely different in FL too. I wish I could find the FL statutes (or local to NP, if applicable) on this and how it applies to a welfare/wellness check. I’ve searched online sunshine and whatever google offered me, but no luck.

ugh. I thought I had let go of this quest, but it just keeps coming back.

all moo.

Yeah, I tried to look up Florida's laws, too.

Geeze that was harsh! $600? I have never heard of that. In my case, I never stated that my address was my parents, only that it was at one time. I would bring in a utility bill and just say this is where I live now. No questions asked.

Geeze that was harsh! $600? I have never heard of that. In my case, I never stated that my address was my parents, only that it was at one time. I would bring in a utility bill and just say this is where I live now. No questions asked.

Truth. And it was shocking! $600 was an enormous amount of money to me at that time. Apparently my mistake was being truthful about living in AZ. Had I claimed that my DL and reg were accurate to my current addy, I would not have been charged with fraud. Moo.

Last edited:

The problem is if LE is writing you a ticket or facilitating exchange of info with another driver in case of an accident, it's kind of a big deal to not have proof of an in-state address right then. And back in the day writing checks could be a big deal with an out of state license.

Florida has alot of part-time residents (the snowbirds) and lots of general tourism so maybe out of state licenses aren't a big deal there. Florida does say DL addresses must be updated within 30 days of moving. Name and Address Changes
JMO

I can’t remember, was Gabby ever enrolled in any college classes? That also can affect legal residency. Many moons ago when I was in college, if you were in a state for the purpose of school, that’s not typically considered where you “live”, you’re still a resident of your previous state or parents home. This usually applies to late teens to early 20-somethings, imo, and a lot of LE don’t think much of it.

My husband is in the Army and between our two driver’s licenses, our teen daughter’s and our three vehicles I think we have 4 or 5 states represented. And none of them are in the state he claims as his legal residence for tax purposes or the states we own property in. It’s never been an issue and one of the states is Florida.

I can’t for the life of me figure out why they supposedly “moved” to New York before the trip even if it was only on paper. There’s no reason to go through the expense and hassle, especially because I assume neither owned any property other than the van, and most things are much less expensive in FL. Imo.

The problem is if LE is writing you a ticket or facilitating exchange of info with another driver in case of an accident, it's kind of a big deal to not have proof of an in-state address right then. And back in the day writing checks could be a big deal with an out of state license.

Florida has alot of part-time residents (the snowbirds) and lots of general tourism so maybe out of state licenses aren't a big deal there. Florida does say DL addresses must be updated within 30 days of moving. Name and Address Changes

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense in case of an accident. I vaguely remember writing checks.

Here's what confuses me. A lot of people travel from state to state, like GP and BL. Some folks live this way for years. They work a bit here and there, living in their vans, RVs, or cheap hotels. There is no law stating that we have to have a permanent address. It makes some things difficult if we don't, but it's not illegal... unless we lie about it on official documents. Also, I just read that FL was one of the most popular states to establish residency in for full-time RVers. I wonder how that works?

BBM
Not to mention much of Gabby's YT video looks to be from older trips and almost nothing from this trip.

I agree with your Insta model/influencer thought. Although we have absolutely no idea what Gabby could have been thinking about; perhaps even she didn't know what she wanted to achieve with any of this.
MOO

Yeah I think they were tossing around ideas as they were driving across the country. I don't think BL had a lot of ideas though. If I had set out on an adventure to monetize it I'd have a more clear idea in mind. Is this modeling, is this "van life", is this adventure? I think Gabby was trying to see which of her posts got the most attention and likes and then maybe go with that. <modsnip>

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I truly think the reason he came back to Florida was to say goodbye to his family. He pretended nothing was wrong because he wanted to be remembered in a positive light. Otherwise he would have just took off from Wyoming. Also i think it's very simple, his usual beatings went too far this time and he couldn't face everyone or even himself knowing what he had done

m;ixed feelings on this post. I feel we have no right to judge the "usual beatings"... I think we have truly seen enough that shows there were overt overreactions by both.... not excusing the focus on domestic violence psychology at all.

But I do believe he may have wanted to fake a love scenario with his family before departing this earth.
But maybe not until after he felt he could possibly get away with this to live a life.......... which i believe he never would have been able to do, since the only real life he had was with Gabby.

I truly think the reason he came back to Florida was to say goodbye to his family. He pretended nothing was wrong because he wanted to be remembered in a positive light. Otherwise he would have just took off from Wyoming. Also i think it's very simple, his usual beatings went too far this time and he couldn't face everyone or even himself knowing what he had done

BBM

What usual beatings?

I can’t remember, was Gabby ever enrolled in any college classes? That also can affect legal residency. Many moons ago when I was in college, if you were in a state for the purpose of school, that’s not typically considered where you “live”, you’re still a resident of your previous state or parents home. This usually applies to late teens to early 20-somethings, imo, and a lot of LE don’t think much of it.

My husband is in the Army and between our two driver’s licenses, our teen daughter’s and our three vehicles I think we have 4 or 5 states represented. And none of them are in the state he claims as his legal residence for tax purposes or the states we own property in. It’s never been an issue and one of the states is Florida.

I can’t for the life of me figure out why they supposedly “moved” to New York before the trip even if it was only on paper. There’s no reason to go through the expense and hassle, especially because I assume neither owned any property other than the van, and most things are much less expensive in FL. Imo.

Is there ANYTHING, except for NS's attempt to get missing person coverage, that shows us that they were claiming NY as residence? Anything? First of all, these are young adults who were from NY originally, so maybe they did want to move back. Secondly, I know that NY is very restrictive about getting the proper identification promptly, or else face some significant fines.

Why would they have even cared about this........... yet? Even if considering moving back?

I really don't get why this is even an issue......... someone enlighten me. tia

m;ixed feelings on this post. I feel we have no right to judge the "usual beatings"... I think we have truly seen enough that shows there were overt overreactions by both.... not excusing the focus on domestic violence psychology at all.

But I do believe he may have wanted to fake a love scenario with his family before departing this earth.
But maybe not until after he felt he could possibly get away with this to live a life.......... which i believe he never would have been able to do, since the only real life he had was with Gabby.

I dont think there were.any usual beatings!
I do think there is a lot we do not know about both of them!

My thoughts are.some things were.said and that set.off a.terrible.chain of.events there was no.coming back.from!

We.probably will.never.know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members