Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the FBI has a copy of everything given back to Laundries. This would stop Bertolino or anyone else from destroying it or altering it. (Seeing he refused to give Rielly a copy when they met).
I'd think there would be an orderly process to produce discovery items. Trading copies of things casually at meetings called for other reasons just wouldn't happen, I don't think.

Plus, as long as there's a MTD out there, no discovery would be produced now anyway (and I'm quite sure Reilly knew that. I'm sure too he would have done the same thing in SB's shoes no matter how he may be portraying SB's action in interviews. )

Finally SB isn't representing the L's on the case Reilly wants the letter for. It would be exceedingly unprofessional for him to turn over documents without the input of the lawyer representing the L's in the case. I'd think. So SB's "*refusal" makes perfect sense to me. (But I'm not an attorney.)

I'd think there would be an orderly process to produce discovery items. Trading copies of things casually at meetings called for other reasons just wouldn't happen, I don't think.

Plus, as long as there's a MTD out there, no discovery would be produced now anyway (and I'm quite sure Reilly knew that. I'm sure too he would have done the same thing in SB's shoes no matter how he may be portraying SB's action in interviews. )

Finally SB isn't representing the L's on the case Reilly wants the letter for. It would be exceedingly unprofessional for him to turn over documents without the input of the lawyer representing the L's in the case. I'd think. So SB's "*refusal" makes perfect sense to me. (But I'm not an attorney.)
Rielly wouldn't have asked for a copy of it if it was illegal or unethical.

Just a catch up question, wasn't there a folded tent found at the site? Aside from the tents set up by LE. I'm remembering red/white? Collapsed or folded, but there. Or was it clothes?

I'm disgusted by this false confession. That's what I think it is. It's pure BS, where BL even to the very end, blames Gabby, the victim, for making him kill her. He could not accept any accountability and wrote a fantastical tale to make himself look better to those he left behind. JMO.

Is it true that he implies that his parents know, are upset and grieving about Gabby in the present tense? Doesn't that mean they knew GP was dead before he ran off to kill himself (and before she was found)? The revelation that there appears to be more than one confession, and that they may differ, implies more CYA attempts than a truthful accounting.

This letter from RL to BL (with some kind of offer of assistance) sounds extremely suspicious. I'm now thinking GP's parents may have a case after all and at least deserve to go to trial to investigate the truth of the matter.

BL's final words are just awful. "Please pick up my things, Gabby hated people who litter"?!! Is that why he left HER discarded by a creek? Like refuse? GRRRRR!!! There are no words for how angry that makes me feel on behalf of her and her family.

Rielly wouldn't have asked for a copy of it if it was illegal or unethical.
We don't know that at all .

But I strongly suspect that while giving it would have been unethical and unprofessional under the circumstances (especially since SB is not the attorney for the Emotional Distress case), asking for it would not necessarily be. For example, a covered entity cannot release medical records under HIPAA without the patient's permission. Doing that would be unethical and often illegal. But asking for a record would not be the same sort of violation.

Good attorneys know how to stay just inside the boundaries but "push the envelope" as much as possible.

I see Reilly as not being as forthcoming as he could with his insistence that he not give out any specific details about the RL letter unless he has a copy in front of him. He claims he doesn't want to get anything wrong.

Is his memory so bad that he can't remember any specifics in the letter? I think he is purposely withholding what he knows for strategic reasons. In other words he's trying to stay ahead of the opposition. JMO.

Just a catch up question, wasn't there a folded tent found at the site? Aside from the tents set up by LE. I'm remembering red/white? Collapsed or folded, but there. Or was it clothes?
I don't recall anything like that. There was some aerial footage, a few people thought they saw something before it was edited out. But the only reference to a tent was by GP's step dad, I believe, who claimed there was an impression on the ground (like flattened scrub/grass) close to where she was found, which could have had the shape/size of a tent. He also thought there was the remains of a fire circle. In some of the photos you can see it partially, in the bottom right corner.
NINTCHDBPICT000681924738-1.jpg

Source: Harrowing Gabby crime scene pics from camp where body found are revealed

I see Reilly as not being as forthcoming as he could with his insistence that he not give out any specific details about the RL letter unless he has a copy in front of him. He claims he doesn't want to get anything wrong.

Is his memory so bad that he can't remember any specifics in the letter? I think he is purposely withholding what he knows for strategic reasons. In other words he's trying to stay ahead of the opposition. JMO.
Sure he is withholding. He is a worthy attorney.

In opposition to what? Bertilino withholding information? Or telling his clients it was their right to not speak and withhold information?

But I strongly suspect that while giving it would have been unethical and unprofessional under the circumstances (especially since SB is not the attorney for the Emotional Distress case), asking for it would not necessarily be. For example, a covered entity cannot release medical records under HIPAA without the patient's permission. Doing that would be unethical and often illegal. But asking for a record would not be the same sort of violation.

Good attorneys know how to stay just inside the boundaries but "push the envelope" as much as possible.
And the guy now gets to say to the public and judge/jury that he was refused the information. Implying some more outrageousness. LOL. Theater.

She didn't need to fedex money to him, he had already stolen GP's money/credit cards. He had plenty on him.

As for leaving someplace else to get a cell signal to call his parents after he killed her.... Brian Eaton explained to us there was great cell service at the camp site.

My understanding is that they had T-mobile, which did not have good coverage in the park. I don't know what provider Entin uses.

Last edited:

There's nothing wrong with asking. Sometimes attorneys will advise clients to authorize them to turn over documents willingly if they know that the other party is going to be able to get them anyway. There's really no point in incurring bad will for no reason (I say this not as an attorney, but as someone who has been a frequent client in a business context). That said, I'm not surprised that Bertolino wouldn't hand it over. The Laundries won't be able to prevent them from getting ahold of it, but it doesn't seem like the Laundries' style to make things any easier than they have to.

There's nothing wrong with asking. Sometimes attorneys will advise clients to authorize them to turn over documents willingly if they know that the other party is going to be able to get them anyway. There's really no point in incurring bad will for no reason (I say this not as an attorney, but as someone who has been a frequent client in a business context). That said, I'm not surprised that Bertolino wouldn't hand it over. The Laundries won't be able to prevent them from getting ahold of it, but it doesn't seem like the Laundries' style to make things any easier than they have to.
Yes. The plaintiffs will be able to get a copy of the RL letter. The fact that Reilly asked for it immediately after it was released by the FBI to Bertolino was his way of putting the defense on the spot. It's all drama ment for the potential jury pool to consume. JMO.

I agree it's not unethical to ask. I never said it was despite it being theater.

But otherwise...your points might be generally true but I don't think they fit here.

1. No one can (or should) assume the P's will get the letter eventually. There is a MTD. It very well may not be granted but acting as if it doesn't exist would make no sense and would be professionally irresponsible. It's not the job of any defendant to aid a plaintiff when there's a serious MTD on the table. So there's no "eventually" to act on right now.

2. SB is not the attorney handling the Emotional Distress case. Why would he turn over discovery materials for that case? Not only would that not make sense, it could put SB in professional jeopardy for his conduct if he turned over materials. He's acting as the L's attorney for other matters. He has different responsibilities from the attorney handling the ED case just as the plaintiffs' attorney has different responsibilities than the defense attorney.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member