Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
That could be true, too. From the LE standpoint, if they aren't able to admit anything they find in the missing person investigation as evidence for a crime, it could be advantageous to not report everything they find, then follow an "anonymous report of X in the house" etc. I have a little more faith in the FBI to work strategically now that they're deeply involved.

MOO OOMB speculation bs etc

Ha! I see what you did there.

I’d love for the media to ask this question at a press conference. I wonder if they have any suspicions as to whether or not someone else drove the van back. I did find it interesting that Josh Taylor (hope I’m correctly remembering the PIO’s name) said tonight dismissing Yosemite because it wouldn’t have been possible to get back on a single tank of gas in a single day. That struck me as odd. Oddly specific to say a single day and a single tank of gas. I’m curious if that’s actually what they think. Seems completely impossible to do that from Wyoming too.
I was thinking, hoping that maybe they both returned. Especially with the lack of urgency they were showing. But, I'm thinking that it's gone on too long now.

Something about the "shoes-off" thing... that has been hard to articulate.

I'm not comfortable with BL's "anti-shoes" stance. I'm even less comfortable with GP's posts about BL's tendencies to go into the "wilderness" without shoes. Something about it feels very phony, and very weird. I don't believe it, and I don't understand why he'd go to such great lengths to perpetuate this. Here is why.

I'm also from NY, and I've also spent considerable time (nearly a decade) in FL and several years in the American West. These are three disparate climates.

I've been an avid outdoors-person for many years, and I spent some time in my past falling into the "no shoes" fad by wearing "barefoot" type shoes designed to minimize the interference a shoe would have with natural foot movement and feel on the actual ground.

All of that is fine and dandy. But gaining callouses from being barefoot in the American Northeast, with a humid and seasonal climate, is different than being barefoot in Florida, where it is humid and there are entirely different bacteria that live and grow in the soil. Then, of course, there is the West, with also another entirely different biome. It seems strange and unlikely that someone who spent such little time in all these areas would somehow manage to adapt to being barefoot in three entirely different climates, conditions and terrain. If anyone has more information on this, please chime in.

BL's (and purportedly GP's) publicizing of his barefoot-hiking tendencies make me feel uncomfortable. It feels so inauthentic. Even if authentic, it feels very rote. It does not reflect capabilities of a true outdoorsperson, or even of someone who is being upfront and honest. A lot of posturing?

I hope at least that BL's parents have been fully frank with the police about everything they know.
- What communication they had with BL during the trip
- If and when he returned to clear out a storage unit
- If and when he returned to their house and what he told them about Gabby's whereabouts
- What items of Gabby's he had with him if and when he returned
- Whether he said anything about the 8/30 texts to her Mom
- Whether or not he has access to money, what he took with him, what he was wearing and what he said of his plans on leaving, and whether he has a cellphone on him

Of course if they had told LE on Tuesday when he apparently left it would have helped them too, if they were worried about his state of mind and intentions. But clearly they wanted him to get a head start and not to be stopped by LE. They will now have that weigh heavily on them. Alongside Gabby. Poor gabby. We may never know what happened to her. I just hope we get more sightings after the Teton calls to Gabby's Mum.

JMO

Last edited:
Why say he's missing NOW?

We've all been asking why they waited three days to report that their son was missing.

But why did they say it at all? What changed in those three days?

I have a couple of thoughts on this (speculation not fact):

1. They have not seen him since Tuesday but they may have been in contact. Perhaps that contact stopped and they became worried enough to raise the alarm. (The irony of it all)

2. The developments throughout the day that at least gave the impression the FBI was making headway. They may have become worried that at some point the authorities were going to demand to speak to their son in an official capacity and they needed to have an explanation for why they could not produce him after assuring everyone he was in the house.

Maybe a bit of both.

IMO.

What if........ BL didn't fly home to do storage unit things. What if.... he called home panicked from something that happened. Parent's fly him home and then someone flies back with him to retrieve the van but BL stays wherever that may be and the someone drives the van back?? Maybe BL never came back to FL with the van. IMO
Gabby facetimed with her mom 8/25, after the FL trip.

I'm in a country that is closed to all international tourism so it still looks pretty open to me, even if one has to travel somewhere else before entering from a "hot" country.
Funny thing is, other counties that have opened list the US as a "hot" country.
I guess it's all just a matter of perspective.

I totally understand. I don't know what country you are from but I'm pretty sure the rules apply to you and immigrants alike. No one can enter, no one can leave unless you have an exempt.
Here, Citizens are allowed to go and come back from banned countries with no restrictions, whereas immigrants can't. I guess that's why no one really even knows about the fact that there are banned countries. Here life is almost back to normal (ofcourse varies state to state): events are allowed, in-person schools are open, no quarantine rules after going abroad (even to a banned country).
Not really affordable for normal middle class couples to afford 4000$ per person per trip.
That's why I wrote it in detail.

Well, this forum is about GP and BL. The reason this case really got me is I follow a lot of travel vloggers. I used to hike a lot.

8/24: Gabby checks out of Fairfield Inn and Suites
8/25 0r 8/26: Owner of Rustic Row in Idaho says Petito and Laundrie spent about 15 to 20 minutes in the store.
8/25 or 8/26 - Possible sighting Grant Village, Yellowstone
8/27 - ???
8/28 - ???
8/29: Laundrie alone. Hitchhiking. No vehicle. Babbling about his fiancé and video editing and Snake River. Picked up Colter Bay, Grand Teton.
Babbling??

Last paragraph. "We are not currently working a crime investigation.We are now working a multiple missing persons investigation."
Thanks!
1)) NBC TV-2 Timeline

Timeline of events: Everything we know about the disappearance of Gabby Petito

2)) ??? Is the Van Missing, Also ???

Florida Rear Plate: QFTG03
The Vehicle Identification Number may end in 121165
(NM0LS7AN7CT121165)
VIN Check Result 2012 Ford Transit Connect | NM0LS7AN7CT121165 | FAXVIN

The van was seized by LE on the 11th.

I hope at least that BL's parents have been fully frank with the police about everything they know.
- What communication they had with BL during the trip
- If and when he returned to clear out a storage unit
- If and when he returned to their house and what he told them about Gabby's whereabouts
- What times of Gabby's he had with him if and when he returned
- Whether he said anything about the 8/30 texts to her Mom
- Whether or not he has access to money, what he took with him, what he was wearing and what he said of his plans on leaving, and whether he has a cellphone on him

Of course if they had told LE on Tuesday when he apparently left it would have helped them too, if they were worried about his state of mind and intentions. But clearly they wanted him to get a head start and not to be stopped by LE. They will now have that weigh heavily on them. Alongside Gabby. Poor gabby. We may never know what happened to her. I just hope we get more sightings after the Teton calls to Gabby's Mum.

JMO

Hope is not a strategy. They have been diametrically opposed to transparent!

Exactly, in a town in which people are extremely frustrated with him and his parents.
Right, and by the way, who casually day hikes with a pack that requires a waist belt? My pack -- and my backpack -- both have waist belts. But I rarely even use my waist belt on day hikes, because 1/ I am not carrying that heavy a load and 2/ it is inconvenient to unbuckle/rebuckle the pack as I take it on/off to get water, my phone for pics, granola, whatever. This waist-buckle detail is weird as hell and does NOT sit right with me! MOO!

Gabby facetimed with her mom 8/25, after the FL trip.
And was seen checking out of a hotel on 8-24.

However, the whole Florida trip is still strange. I have a gut feeling that something was up - mental issues, or something. Airline tickets are not cheap, especially with short notice. The ticket probably would have covered the storage unit for a year.

Also, it appears that GP did not let anyone know he was gone.

IMO their address is certainly easy to find but publishing it here seems a bit wrong to me. They have not handled any of this in a way that would indicate their son is innocent.

Just had to write that!

More importantly, yesterday or the day before the NPPD said "don't worry, we know exactly where Mr. Laundrie is". I can't get you the quote because when I look for it about 77 pages of results come up. I know some fellow WSer's could pinpoint it.

This statement aligns with all of the cases i've followed and commented on. emphatic statements are an overcompensation mechanism. When we are very confident we say less definitive statements. When I read the original comment I shuddered a bit, and here we are.

Lastly, can anyone explain something from the bodycam footage? When the LEO asks him to sit down, BL responds 7:52 "can I just sit in the shade, i'm bald?" Then he said "cross cross applesauce". I replayed it a few times and I have found it so odd. It almost appeared to be a puppet-ish behavior. Kind of like "jinx". Anyone have any insight here?

He also said in the beginning that he didn't have a phone. If she left him, he was stranded. Then, at the end he pulled his phone out...

Criss-cross applesauce: a daycare song for children to get them to sit down on the carpet.

Why say he's missing NOW?

We've all been asking why they waited three days to report that their son was missing.

But why did they say it at all? What changed in those three days?

My speculation… they were advised to by the lawyer. He was the one who actually made the phone call to police. It feels like they’re perhaps coming close to aiding and abetting at this point. Again, just pure speculation n my part. I certainly don’t feel like they did it for Gabby’s interests, that’s for sure. I’m quite shocked at the level of unhelpful they have been thus far, even taking into account they want to protect their son .. they can still care about Gabby’s welfare, the two aren’t mutually exclusive. It makes me really angry.

Something about the "shoes-off" thing... that has been hard to articulate.

I'm not comfortable with BL's "anti-shoes" stance. I'm even less comfortable with GP's posts about BL's tendencies to go into the "wilderness" without shoes. Something about it feels very phony, and very weird. I don't believe it, and I don't understand why he'd go to such great lengths to perpetuate this. Here is why.

I'm also from NY, and I've also spent considerable time (nearly a decade) in FL and several years in the American West. These are three disparate climates.

I've been an avid outdoors-person for many years, and I spent some time in my past falling into the "no shoes" fad by wearing "barefoot" type shoes designed to minimize the interference a shoe would have with natural foot movement and feel on the actual ground.

All of that is fine and dandy. But gaining callouses from being barefoot in the American Northeast, with a seasonal climate, is different than being barefoot in Florida, where it is extremely humid and there are entirely different bacteria that live and grow in the soil. Then, of course, there is the West, super-dry with also another entirely different biome. It seems strange and unlikely that someone who spent such little time in all these areas would somehow manage to adapt to being barefoot in three entirely different climates, conditions and terrain. If anyone has more information on this, please chime in.

BL's (and purportedly GP's) publicizing of his barefoot-hiking tendencies make me feel uncomfortable. It feels so inauthentic. Even if authentic, it feels very rote. It does not reflect capabilities of a true outdoorsperson, or even of someone who is being upfront and honest. A lot of posturing?
I don't think it is an "anti shoes" stance. Just a personal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23