Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, said that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*

Thread #1
Thread #2

Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

Brian Laundrie has been officially named by LE to be a POI in this case which is still a missing persons case at this time. He may be sleuthed.

The Awareness Foundation is approved for discussion.

The "Find Gabby" FB page is not approved at this time as there is still nothing on the page to indicate it is family run and nothing directly from the family indicating that they are involved in the Administration of the page.

To speculate that the victim was involved in drugs or somehow responsible for her own disappearance is off limits as Not Victim Friendly. Negative speculation on a victim is not allowed. Such posts will be removed.

Warning points and possible Time Outs will be issued for members who violate Websleuths Victim Friendly rule.

Please read The Rules and post accordingly.

Mod Note:

Suggestions of a publicity stunt while someone is missing is not victim friendly. Until LE suggests otherwise, Gabby is missing and WS will treat the missing persons case with the care and compassion a missing person deserves. Posts suggesting this is a stunt or hoax have been removed.

To avoid having your post removed and risk losing posting privileges:

- remember that Gabby, her family and her friends are considered VICTIMS, and protected by Websleuths’ victim-friendly policy
- don’t post anything as fact without an MSM link.
- don’t use derogatory names for ANYone.
- don’t discuss comments from ANYone on any social media.
- don’t bicker.

This is not the complete list of rules, but merely the ones that have been violated here this evening. Do yourself and Websleuths a favor and read over THE RULES HERE to help keep this thread opened.

THANKS for your efforts to do that going forward.

Good Morning: Thread is Open

A few guidelines this morning:
-no discussing the fake Instagram or any other social media accounts that do not belong to Gabby or BL. When referencing an approved social media post, include the url link in your WS post.

-do not sleuth BL’s parents, they have not been named POI’s and are only open for discussion related to what has been stated in MSM, and/or actions related specifically to this case

Hoping for resolution today and wishing all our Posters a fabulous Friday.

Best,
Tiff

I’ve only been able to skip around and read here as it moves so fast. But thank you for making that point, that G was spending much of the time doing on the vlog. It seems she was quite obsessed with it, and her statement that she is OCD. Not trying to victim blame, just that it very well may have been a significant source of contention between them. Perhaps they hadn’t realized how different their goals were for this excursion.

And I agree on your other points as well.... they are both young and obviously very stressed, and unprepared to deal with the situation, their different expectations and their emotions.

This suggested dynamic seems plausible - but that's in spite of the fact that this wasn't their first trip together. Many of the pictures in the August 19 video were from at least one previous trip to the West Coast.

Could it be because she is now missing out of Teton County, WY rather than FL?

I find this to be a very dismissive statement, and, despite the words, not kind at all.

I think the L family has really distanced themselves from her

Calling her “Miss Petito” in the statement released by BL’s attorney isn’t just a slap in the face, it’s ignorant considering that it’s obvious they’ve been together for some time.

It makes him/them appear completely cold and unfeeling — very detached. That’s not how you talk about someone who lives in your home and was supposedly a fiancé. It’s how you talk about a stranger.

I cannot imagine that anyone thought “Miss Petito” was a term of respect. If the attorney came up with the wording it was bad advice (but BL or the family must have approved it).

jmo

She's gone. He doesn't call 911. He drives around 2200 miles back home to his family, opens the front door, dives under his bed, and scares the living hell out out of his family to the extent that THEY don't call 911 and opt instead for a family lawyer.
I still think it quite possible they unexpectedly encountered something that may have separated them...and he alone escaped terrified - or there was an accident, she didn't survive, he thought he would be blamed and he headed to the place best suited for self-preservation - home.
I don't see either of these young people as having diabolical motives. They're young, in a relationship, loaded with hormones and emotions that sometimes get out of hand. I've been married for 50 years and we still look back on the idiotic fights we had 48 years ago. They happen.
I do know that in order for my husband to tear off to home without me, without notifying the police, have his family hire a lawyer and go into hiding; he would have to have had something gargantuan terrify him.
They were two young people surrounded by open country that is accessible to anybody.
This saga is still evolving.
Very interesting theory Gardener, I like it
There supposedly wasn’t a lot left to the remains of Mollie Tibbets but the ME was still able to determine the type of weapon(or at least similar) and where all it was used. Even vast decomposed corpses leave lots of evidence. Hypothetically if that’s what the family is hoping for…..they are hoping in vain.

Also I hate saying corpse(it’s just technically correct).….Mollie was a person though. I still choose to humanize her even after death in my own mind. :(
I agree Harvath, I followed the Mollie case all the way through, I knew she was deceased, but I still felt bad for her family.....but glad they caught the dude

You bring up an interesting point @Herat and one I had not considered. Does BL have his own vehicle? If not, why not? I don't know of a single Florida kid in high school who did not get a car -either by saving money from jobs or a grandparent/parent gift. Curious indeed....
JMO
I thought I read early on that they had previously worked together at a Publix. Is that fact? If Gabby had traded in her car (I think it was a Nissan), to buy the van, wouldn't she need more money for that? Maybe Brian paid towards buying the van. Maybe he put money towards the renovation cost. Because the van was registered in her name, we are all treating it as hers, but they may have understood it to be theirs, together. JMO

During their cross-country trip, they stopped in Colorado along the way, one of those places being Slice420 in Old Colorado City.

According to a Slice420 Facebook post, Petito stopped by the restaurant more than two months ago, around July 8, 2021.

Here you can see the restaurant posted two pictures of Petito along with a message saying in part, "should we find that we have any information that may be relevant to this missing person investigation we will share that with law enforcement immediately."

She also took a picture at Sweetwater a Flower Market back in August. The company posted on Facebook Friday, September 17, 2021 which read in part, "sharing in hopes others will contribute and share in helping Gabbys family find her."
https://www.koaa.com/news/national-...ito-makes-multiple-stops-in-southern-colorado

To see a timeline put together by KSTU of her travels through Utah, click here.

William Guthrie can't get his mail delivered or garbage picked up on Wabasso Avenue. News trucks are in the way

Most of that didn't bother him on Monday or Tuesday, when news started to get out that Gabrielle Petito, who lived on that street with her fiance Brian Laundrie and his family, had been reported missing by her family.

Reporters from various news outlets began showing up on the street, looking for any sign of the Laundries, who have said through their attorney they don't want to talk about the case.

However, at 12:45 a.m. Friday, his wife was hammering in wooden stakes in the drainage swale in front of their home, to keep people from tearing up the soggy turf and leaving muddy ruts in front of their home.

That's when someone yelled at her from a passing vehicle.

"They yelled, 'why are you protecting a murderer?'" Guthrie said. "That's not what was happening. We are protecting our property. Then that person in a white Suburban turned around and shined flood lights in the his (Brian Laundrie's) home across the street."
North Port neighbors worry about Gabby Petito, concerned about media, gawkers

Oh great. Florida man is now getting into the vigilante justice act.

Yes, I see echos of Chris Watts, Josh Powell, Mark Hacking here. All partnered up with vivacious, successful women unafraid of life and challenges. Hacking even had his wife believing he was accepted to medical school when he hadn't finished a bachelors degree. Going to "college" every day while she worked her tail off to support him and his phantom schooling. IIRC he killed her the night she found out about his deception. Could Gabby have discovered a serious deception on BL's part?

Some of these guys just can't be propped up enough, can't assume responsibility on their own, feel so threatened by how easily their wives make friends and have genuine smiles ready to go. Nothing threatens them like a happy woman. They reached their mid 20's, midthirties, and they haven't accomplished a thing without being directed by a woman.

I think that he purposely sabotaged her new business endeavor, purposely dirtying up the camp and van, knowing how she would react. I would bet that he had her convinced she was "mean", couldn't drive well enough, and constantly held abandonment over her head once he knew it was a huge trigger. I believe he used his role as driver to torment her. Driving away with her own vehicle with all her belongings inside, jeopardizing her life, her business, purposely creating the greatest fear.

You are so right, IMO. There was a lot more to this relationship than we know, and from the dynamics we saw in the police stop I think there was a lot of mental cruelty on his part towards her. After the police asked him whether he took any medications and then asked if she took any he said, "she's craaaaaazy" and then laughed. He said that to a cop. You don't say things like that to cops when you want to protect someone. I think BL clearly has narcissistic personality disorder. I also think those Instgram posts on her account were written by him, especially the one that's all about him and his walking around barefoot all the time and how cool she thinks that is. We know for a fact that she did not think it was cool at all, made him dirty and it bothered her. We know that from the traffic stop and the remarks he made to the cops in the video about always being dirty and how it bothered her.

And IF BL has narcissistic personality disorder, he's going to care only about himself, about self preservation, and that's why he's not talking. His own self preservation is more important than another person's life and safety. literally. IMO

It's sure hard to get a definitive age. I did find on one site his birthday is Nov. 18, 1997, which would make him 23 almost 24. Although, I did find other sites (with his pic, so it's him they're describing) that he's 37. And another said 22.

He doesn't have an entry in Whitepages premium, which means he's likely never had his name on a lease, so he's a little hard to pin down.

Best description I've seen so far!

Open question for any aviation folks in Wyoming, Idaho, Montana (or those familiar) ... Are air searches for missing hikers in Grand Teton NP common? Fixed wing or copter? And which agency typically carries those out? [For example, in my area Erie & Niagara County, NY, air searches are typically done by the respective sheriffs department with helicopters.] TIA.

It's sure hard to get a definitive age. I did find on one site his birthday is Nov. 18, 1997, which would make him 23 almost 24. Although, I did find other sites (with his pic, so it's him they're describing) that he's 37. And another said 22.

He doesn't have an entry in Whitepages premium, which means he's likely never had his name on a lease, so he's a little hard to pin down.
His birthday can be seen on the notepad of the officer taking down his information in the body cam footage. He’s 23, about to be 24 in November. Born in 1997.

Maybe he took the keys as a form of control. Maybe he left for the airport in the middle of the night when she was fast asleep and she didn't even know he was traveling. It would be interesting to see when the reservations for the hotel were first made, and if the stay at the hotel was extended from the first reservation.

Now THAT is an interesting possibility: that the reason she stayed in the SLC hotel for all those days wasn't because she didn't like driving the van (which she said) but because he took the keys with him. That would be horrible, if true -

The hotel was an "airport service" type. I assumed (and I'm hoping) that this was because the flight was planned and agreed-upon. I just don't know.

I'd really like to know when it was decided he had to fly back to FL and how far in advance this decision was made.

I think GP's Dad paid for the SLC hotel. Anything to get her into a safer and more comfortable place, out of the van so she doesn't have to be living alone and vulnerable in a van in a big city.

I'm sure BL fully expected he would.

As industrious and diligent as she was, she really needed protection and support and wasn't at the stage to be doing any of this trip alone.

And Dad certainly knew that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member