WY - Hermann Frese, 18, Fort D.A. Russell, 19 July 1920

The only thing I have yet found on family search is the 1910 us census. He is also listed on the 1920 census but was not really living with his family at that time. I can only verify he was in fort Russell by his photo, the background is much like other pictures of soldiers at Russell at that time.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4689.jpg
    IMG_4689.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 45
OK, let me do some digging. Will let you know what I find.

It appears that there was another daughter that died at birth 4/17/1899 Anna Frese born in Linn kansas and buried at Immanuel Luthern. JUST FYI.

I found further articles in Wyoming newspaper archives that rule out train victim as Herman.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• description.jpeg
    description.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 94
  • unidentified.jpeg
    unidentified.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 94
Thank you. It seems this child would have been Herman's aunt. His father was the second of fourteen children.

I found this information on Ancestry.com:

Ernst Carl Herman Frese
1901–1988
BIRTH 07 OCT 1901 • Linn, Washington, Kansas
DEATH 02 FEB 1988 • Kensington, Smith, Kansas

Some History of the 15th Cavalry Regiment

... The 15th Cavalry Regiment was formed in 1901 at the Presidio of San Francisco, California. Immediately upon its organization in 1901, the 15th Cavalry embarked for the Philippines to quell an insurrection in the United States' newly acquired territory. The regiment's next action was part of the Cuban Pacification from 1906 to 1909, followed by duty along the Mexican border and the hunt for Pancho Villa from December 1917 to March 1918.

World War One
When the United States entered World War I, the regiment sailed for France as one of the four mounted regiments on duty with the Allied Expeditionary Force. The fighting had already bogged down into trench warfare and the role of horse cavalry was nearly over. The 15th was called upon to dismount and relieve exhausted infantry units in the trenches. It was the tank that finally broke the trench lines to end both the war and the role of the horse soldier. The 15th served occupation duty after the war until June 1919 when it returned to the United States.

The 5th Cavalry Regiment was deactivated on 18 October 1921, after 20 years of continuous active service, as part of the massive cutbacks in the Regular Army following "the war to end all wars"....

15th Cavalry Regiment

LINK:
15th Cavalry Regiment - Wikipedia

Update: Monthly rosters have been found by my cousin, which show him at Ft. DA Russell from February 1920 until September 15, 1921 when the 15th Cavalry was deactivated. It does not tell us where he went from there, but we now have his serial number 6509263 - Does anyone know where to search using that number?

this is the final roster for 15th Cavalry Troop D

Attachments

• record-image_-27.jpg
    record-image_-27.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 4
He is also listed on the 1920 census but was not really living with his family at that time.

The 1920 census was taken on 1 Jan 1920 and from what I can see his first military record was on 6 Feb 1920, so it's likely the census taker was accurate during the census.

I have an all access pass to Fold 3 which is supposed to have access to most of the available military records, but can't find anything with his id number... so strange. Since 6509263 obviously belongs to him (based on all of the reports available for him on familysearch).

I wonder why he stopped writing to the family in 1920. He was still alive and well (promoted to Sergeant) as of Sep 1921.

His profile on familysearch is here:
FamilySearch: Sign In

Profile on wikitree:
Ernest Carl Herman Frese (1901-) | WikiTree FREE Family Tree

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members