Identified! WY - Sweetwater Co, "Pipeline Pete", WhtMale 23-35, UP9973, nude, receding hairline, Aug'82 - Jack Clawson

NamUs: https://identifyus.org/cases/9973

DoeNet: 2134UMWY

Case File: 2134UMWY
The Doe Network
2134umwy.jpg
2134umwy_2.jpg

Reconstruction of the victim

[h=1]Unidentified Male[/h]Date of Discovery: August 28, 1982
Location of Discovery: Sweetwater County, Wyoming
Estimated Date of Death: 4 months prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Cause of Death: Unknown
[h=5]Physical Description[/h]** Listed information is approximateEstimated Age: 23-35 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'5" to 5'7"
Weight: 130-150 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: mtDNA available at UNT.
[h=5]Clothing & Personal Items[/h]Clothing: None.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
[h=5]Case History[/h]The victim's nude body was found by a pipeline crew in Sweetwater County, four miles from I80 near Granger.
[h=5]Investigating Agency(s)[/h]If you have any information about this case please contact;Agency Name: Sweetwater County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 307-352-6608

Agency Case Number: ME: 8182
NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: UP #9973
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
[h=5]Information Source(s)[/h]NamUs

DNA, dental, and fingerprints available through NamUs! No ruleouts, though.

Jack Clawson

How many strange factors have to combine to conclude that something doesn't add up here?
His weight, height and estimated time of death were significantly off.
His car never found, no id on him.
Found in the middle of nowhere, secluded area of a desert... But disappeared at the time when he was expected to travel.

<modsnip: referenced post was snipped>
Possibly it was just a tragic accident but it surely does not look like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
1691456257924.png

I was curious about the route he would have taken and it appears he was found very near it. His Doe Network profile says that he was found about 4 miles from Interstate 80, which is almost a direct shot from Fremont, CA to Sedalia, MO. The stats aren't too off IMO and I think the recon was a good depiction of him given the PMI. I do wonder what happened to his vehicle and personal effects though. He had to have left them someplace.

How many strange factors have to combine to conclude that something doesn't add up here?
His weight, height and estimated time of death were significantly off.
His car never found, no id on him.
Found in the middle of nowhere, secluded area of a desert... But disappeared at the time when he was expected to travel.

<modsnip>
Possibly it was just a tragic accident but it surely does not look like that.

I don't think there's really much in the height/weight and time of death.

Skeletonized/decomposed remains are notoriously difficult to size and age and the upper limit given for the Doe (5'5 150) isn't far off (5'7 170). And those estimates were almost certainly understated - the lower estimate of 5'5 130 is basically a jockey-sized male and 5'5 150 is still pretty unusually small.

Likewise, he was found a year after being reported missing and the interval on the Doe was 6-9 months, which isn't huge. Plus he was travelling at the time so he might actually have died a couple months after he was last seen/reported missing.

The car, though, is definitely a problem. It sounds like he was driving a Camaro Z28 which is the highest performance spec of a pretty desirable sports car so maybe there was some funny business when it was towed as it would have been worth a fair chunk of coin? That said, the car description is also weird - it's described as a 'sedan with a Z28 carving in the rear window'.

I'm guessing the authorities are going with exposure as the cause of death because he was found in a place very far from a road that nobody would have carried a dead body to (and if they did make that much effort, they probably would have buried it also).

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4