Found Deceased WY - Tami Lynn Sturgeon, 55, missing where she and her 60-year-old husband returned to after they had been shed hunting, Gillette, 23 Mar 2024

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Searchers found evidence Tuesday believed to have been left behind by a missing Gillette woman, as neighboring counties plan to join the search for the woman who went missing in Campbell County over the weekend.

The search began wide, looking for signs of Tami Lynn Sturgeon, 55, who went missing Saturday night south of Bishop Road where she and her 60-year-old husband returned to the rural area they had been shed hunting earlier that day.

Her husband reported her missing that night and search efforts began, although winter weather that kicked up overnight complicated the search efforts, Undersheriff Quentin Reynolds said.

While tightening the grid search Tuesday, a shoe print and cigarette butt of the brand Sturgeon was known to smoke were found in the area her husband said he last knew her to be, Reynolds said.

The couple had returned to the area and split up to search for the woman’s missing cellphone, the husband told Sheriff’s deputies. During a search Saturday night of a side-by-side vehicle the two had driven that day, deputies found the woman’s cellphone, Reynolds said.

There were two brothers attacked by a mountain lion while looking for antlers last weekend. That was the first time I heard of searching for shed antlers.
I can't think of names off the top of my head, but I remember reading quite a few stories of bodies or skeletal remains being discovered by people looking for shed antlers. I suppose it makes sense- you're already looking on the ground for something that looks like bone.

So, I've driven through Gillette quite a few times, and one thing that always struck me was how wide open the terrain is. I looked at Bishop Road on Google Maps and took a screenshot that I'll paste here. Where could she possibly be in this wide, flat landscape? It seems like you'd be able to spot her a mile away.

Bishop Rd.png

After four days, which included a snowstorm and subzero overnight temperatures, many people are worried for Sturgeon’s safety. When she disappeared, she was dressed for cold weather, but was only carrying a backpack with minimal supplies.

Given such circumstances, law enforcement agencies might make the difficult decision to change the focus of their efforts from rescue to recovery. But Seeman said searchers are still optimistic they’ll find Sturgeon alive.

“We are still in a search and rescue mission mode,” he said. “We certainly try to keep optimistic.”

Seeman also emphasized that the ongoing effort is still a search and rescue mission and nothing about the situation suggests foul play.

“The family is completely cooperative,” he said. “We have no reason to believe we're dealing with anything other than a missing hiker.”

So they split up to look for her phone, but her phone was in the vehicle the whole time?
I've had that happen. I thought I dropped it at the trailhead, walked probably three or four extra miles looking for it, found it in a crack between the passenger seat and the center console. Mr. Carbuff tried calling the number, but I had the sound turned off so that didn't help much.

I wouldn't think a side-by-side had that many places where a cell phone could hide, though.

I've had that happen. I thought I dropped it at the trailhead, walked probably three or four extra miles looking for it, found it in a crack between the passenger seat and the center console. Mr. Carbuff tried calling the number, but I had the sound turned off so that didn't help much.

I wouldn't think a side-by-side had that many places where a cell phone could hide, though.
My phone is always on silent, too, so I would be in the same boat!
I hope that's the case here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back