Yuba County Five

Discussion in 'Missing but not forgotten Discussion' started by ColyH, Jun 22, 2019.

1. ColyH

ColyH Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a thread for this but it's a very strange case. To summarize a man in was in his car that was broken down and witnessed a car being followed by a pickup truck. After awhile the man realized no help was coming and began walking back to a store he had passed and came up to the car he had seen earlier. The car was completely abandoned so he kept on walking. Months later four of the five bodies were found but no one has ever figured out why they left their car and what caused them to wander so far away. There is more to the story at the link I have posted below.

'Bizarre as Hell': The Disappearance of the Yuba County Five

Laughing and teedie2 like this.

2. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

ColyH, Laughing and teedie2 like this.
  3. ColyH

ColyH Well-Known Member

I read that the brother of one of the guys found dead say that he had no common sense and one time had to carry him out of a burning house. His brother's reason for not leaving the burning house is that he had to work the next day and needed his rest. It sounds likely that the person found in the house with supplies and propane available would probably not understand what to do.

I wonder if the flashlights that Joe Shones saw in the woods were the five guys and when he called out they got scared and turned off their flashlights.

teedie2 and Lilibet like this.
  4. Lilibet

Yes, I think that account about the burning house is in one of the links I posted. So it wouldn’t surprise me if they heard Shones’ voice and thought they were in trouble and shut off their flashlights. Sad story.

Laughing and teedie2 like this.
  5. teedie2

teedie2 Well-Known Member

This is such a sad story, and creepy as can be. So many "whys," and the families will never know the answers. Makes you think ..

Thanks to all for posting about these five men.

ColyH, Laughing and Lilibet like this.
  6. ColyH

ColyH Well-Known Member

Was reading a blog called The Charley Project and one of the messages left on the blog stated that a theory was Joseph Shones had actually talked to the missing men and had sent them walking in the wrong direction to get help. After hearing about the men's disappearance Shones makes up stories about seeing flashlights in the woods and a group of men walking with a woman and baby hoping he won't be a suspect.

7. Lilibet

I kind of doubt that. He knew the area because he had a cabin up there, so I can’t imagine he would have sent them in the wrong direction. One of the articles said that Shones actually did have a heart attack. I’m more inclined to think he was delirious from pain. But I guess we’ll never know.

8. Angleterre

Angleterre Well-Known Member

CA - CA - Gary Mathias, 25, Oroville, 24 Feb 1978
    Mathias is believed to have Murdered the other 4 vulnerable young men who had some mild to moderate learning difficulties. It is named ‘The American Dylatov Pass’. There are many MSM links but this is the original WS link

9. ColyH

ColyH Well-Known Member

I know that Gary Mathias had some behavioral issues in the past but that was when he was off medication and he had been good in the last couple of years taking his medication. It could be possible he didn't take his medication, started acting up and scared the other four which caused them to leave the car. When the other four were out of the car that's when everything went wrong.