Zodiac Killer

Discussion in 'The Zodiac Killer' started by morf13, May 28, 2009.

1. PaulR

PaulR Verified Software and Computer Tech

I remember when all stamps had to be licked. They even had sponges at the post offices so you could wet stamps that way. I think they even had them in some offices where a bunch of stamps would need to be moistened.

Lavender Moon, YESorNO and Ozoner like this.

2. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

Why the Zodiac Killer Has Never Been Identified
    With his last known killing in October 1969, people still know very little about the murderer — including his name.

"In 1968 and '69, the Zodiac Killer attacked seven people in four different Northern California locations. His first three targets were couples in secluded areas; two of these people survived. His last known victim was a taxi driver killed on October 11, 1969, in San Francisco. During and after his killing spree, Zodiac received attention and spread fear as he shared ciphers, letters, information and threats with authorities and the public. No murder has been officially linked to the Zodiac Killer since October 1969, but the unsolved case continues to fascinate....

There are theories that the Zodiac Killer eventually stopped killing

Though he'd claimed to be responsible for 37 deaths, no Zodiac victims have been discovered since 1969. Did he stop killing? Popular culture often depicts serial killers as operating under irresistible compulsions, but under certain circumstances, they can refrain from murder....

... in 2018, the Vallejo police department announced plans to submit some evidence in their possession for up-to-date DNA testing. A full DNA profile would make it possible to search open-source genealogy databases for a match. Another California killer, the Golden State Killer, was apprehended in 2018 thanks to this approach. But in the case of the Zodiac, no results have been reported thus far."

https://www.biography.com/news/zodiac-killer-murder-identity

Lavender Moon and watcher9 like this.
  3. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

It is just over 50 years since the last known murder of the Zodiac took place, but Zodiac (or someone claiming to be Zodiac) continued to claim in a series of bizarre writings that there were many more victims.

Lavender Moon likes this.
  4. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Former Member

I truly don't understand why people don't believe it is Hodel. It is insanely obvious the amount of connections that line. Hodel had everyone under his thumb. He treated celebrities, the police, gangsters for STD's often. He performed abortions. He had dirt on everyone! His IQ was 1 point lower than Einstein's. His surgical skills were precise. Plus the connections to the surrealists and May Ray. Look up his pal Fred Sexton's history He was the art designer of the Maltese Falcon statue from the film. After Hodel's incest trial, isn't it interesting how Hodel, May Ray and Fred Sexton all left the country at the same time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The LAPD put Hodel under surveillance from February 18, 1950 to March 27, 1950. They installed two microphones in his home, which were monitored by eighteen detectives. They wanted to see if Hodel would make any comments to insinuate that he was involved in Elizabeth Short’s murder. Most of the transcript is dull at first, with Hodel having sex, berating his secretary, and talking about money problems. However, on February 19, 1950, there is something horrific in the recording.

8:25pm. “Woman screamed. Woman screamed again. (It should be noted, the woman not heard before the scream.)”

Later the same day, Hodel was recorded talking to his confidant.

Realize there was nothing I could do, put a pillow over her head and cover her with a blanket. Get a taxi. Expired 12:59. They thought there was something fishy. Anyway, now they may have figured it out. Killed her.”

The surveillance routinely continued, catching an highly incriminating statement.

“Supposin’ I did kill the Black Dahlia. They couldn’t prove it now. They can’t talk to my secretary any more because she’s dead.”

The secretary referred to in the transcript was Ruth Spaulding, who died from a drug overdose."

tnith and mp_1989 like this.
  5. Yazzyy

Yazzyy Former Member

6. Manwel

Manwel Well-Known Member

Damn. The details surrounding those two calls and the nature of the language, that sounds like him alright. This says the prints and ballistics data were submitted for AFIS in December 2019. What are the odds they might get a hit on something? How long might it take for all of that to appear? When you submit to AFIS, if there is a match to another record, is there some kind of alert that shows the match, or do you need to check the information against specific other records to find matches? (Is it automatic or manual, basically?)

7. Manwel

Manwel Well-Known Member

I finished Robert Graysmith's book today and while I know it's not popular among some folks for being a bit silly in places, it's obvious which parts of the book are intrusive observations from the author and which parts are his very careful research. And I've seen some websites try their darnedest to claim they did better research by incorporating Google Maps images instead of maps provided by the towns from 50 years ago, or by overstating how important it is that Graysmith said one thing and really it was across the street. Who cares? That's not terribly important. The man chased around a lot of leads and earned the trust of many police in the area who felt comfortable sharing their files. That's significant to me, not if he correctly identified a corner or actually the fire hydrant 20 yards from the corner or whatever. Graysmith says he found a secret road in one book. Some folks online say because it's not a map it isn't real? OK, Sherlocks. (Waiting for someone to go drive around looking like Graysmith did.)

Anyway, never mind the obsession with ALA, I was really intrigued by the William Joseph Grant/Andy Walker details. That one really stood out even though he was older. But what I was really curious about is whether Morrill/Graysmith were correct about their theory that Zodiac traced out his messages. Is there any more recent evidence/research about that angle?

8. FOXINBOX

FOXINBOX Active Member

Can anybody tell me if the Zodiac letters, codes etc. were subjected to UV light examination, and if so, what, if any, results were had, and where I could find online copies? Thanks

Judith Sleuth likes this.
  9. Ozoner

Ozoner Well-Known Member

I don't know much about UV light examination. What is the purpose of it? What could show up under UV light? Bodily fluids? Are you hoping to find a new DNA source? If not, then I'm not sure what you're driving at.

10. minazoe

minazoe Well-Known Member

Oceanside, compelling. mOO

11. FOXINBOX

FOXINBOX Active Member

Well...no, not DNA, but ciphers used to be examined under UV to see "invisible" writing that was commonly used in covert correspondence

Lavender Moon, tnith and Ozoner like this.
  12. tnith

tnith Well-Known Member

UV would have been used to find evidence of prints, no? Interesting idea, I'd not seen anything confirming methods of examining evidence.

13. FOXINBOX

FOXINBOX Active Member

I just want reassurance that there was nothing missed in these codes or ciphers - Zodiac calls them ciphers, I believe. Just a niggle I'd like to fix.

Lavender Moon and tnith like this.