Zodiac Killer

With the dawning of geneology sights/dna solving cases, I'm hopeful they may solve this one. The families deserve it, and if the man is still alive, I hate that he's gone free this long, he needs to pay!

Another thought on the licking envelopes/stamps, back in the day, offices often used sponges to wet both with large mailings.

Jim Dunbar, noted San Francisco newstalk pioneer, dies at 89

April 23, 2019

"SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Jim Dunbar, a pioneer in San Francisco's newstalk radio who survived an on-air shooting attack, has died at 89.

His daughter, Brooke Dunbar, tells the San Francisco Chronicle that Dunbar died Monday at his home.

Dunbar spent 37 years at KGO-AM, where he had a morning newstalk show. He was credited with helping the station go from last to first place for a quarter-century. Dunbar retired in 2000.

Dunbar was so well-known that a man claiming to be the Zodiac killer once called his show more than 50 times in two hours...."

Jim Dunbar, noted San Francisco newstalk pioneer, dies at 89

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Not so fast !!

The guy confessed it to a journalist : Il killer Zodiac mi ha confessato: «Sono io il mostro di Firenze» - IlGiornale.it
(in Italian)

Actually, the link between both started after this confession.
It was not made out of thin air, but because of this specific confession. I should have made it clearer right off the bat.

The Italian authorities deem it such a credible lead that it's currently under investigation.
Now, we can't do anything beyond waiting.
ETA : link Zodiac-Mostro, le mosse di Procura e Ros - IlGiornale.it

I wish I found anything in English ! Unfortunately, everything available is in Italian.

I'd like to contact the journalist who wrote the article, as I speak enough Italian to do so.
But I'm not sure it would be such a good idea. Your opinion ?

Couldn't hurt to give it a try.

Over the past few years I have become severely obsessed with this case. Needless to say, little tidbits like the following pique my interest:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/zodiac-voigt-perez-2432402-gaikowski-claim

This was news to me, I know that Voigt has really focused on Gaikowski as the main suspect in this case for some time but I had no idea that it had gotten this far. I really wonder if that Virginia lab isn't an FBI lab testing Gaik's DNA against the extracted DNA from the letters.

There may be, finally, an end to all of this after all on the horizon, here's to hoping!

:clap:
Gaikowski? I haven't been to Voight's sight in a while, will check it out now but, what happen to Arthur Lee Alan? Is he no longer a suspect? I was convinced it was him from the similarities lists on that site.

What's next for Baton Rouge man who believes the Zodiac Killer is his biological dad? A documentary

APR 20, 2019

"It's been nearly five years since Gary Stewart's book was published laying out the evidence that led him to conclude his biological father was the notorious Zodiac Killer of the 1960s.

Since that time, Stewart told a meeting of the Baton Rouge Genealogical and Historical Society on Saturday, he's continued his research into the man he's convinced was his biological father — a serial killer known as The Zodiac....

Next up is a documentary series being filmed by Academy Award-nominated director Kief Davidson...."

What's next for Baton Rouge man who believes the Zodiac Killer is his biological dad? A documentary

Former Vallejo woman recalls her sister murdered by the Zodiac killer 50 years ago this weekend
Anniversary brings still more pain to family

July 3, 2019

"Pam Huckaby said she fully expects a phone call before the weekend’s over, from someone who will say, “this is the Zodiac speaking.”

She’s gotten such a call every year for 35 years.

Huckaby, now of Redding, is the sister of Darlene Ferrin who, at 22, became one of the infamous Zodiac killer’s first victims just after midnight on July 5 — 50 years ago this weekend, in the parking lot of Vallejo’s Blue Rock Springs Park.

“When everybody’s out celebrating the birth of our country, I am here mourning the death of my sister,” she said. “It brings it all up, every year. But, this is a big one. Its the 50th, so it’s bigger, it’s really big. Every day when I wake up, the first thing I see is her graduation picture and I give it a kiss every single day of my life.”

Ferrin, who was shot and killed that night, was with her friend Mike Mageau, who survived his wounds. As many know, the pair were inside Ferrin’s Corvair, when another vehicle entered the parking lot and abruptly left, then returned a few minutes later and parked behind them. A man holding a light emerged from the car and walked toward the friends, and without warning, aimed a 9mm pistol at the passenger window and opened fire. Ferrin was pronounced dead on arrival at the local hospital..."

Former Vallejo woman recalls her sister murdered by the Zodiac killer 50 years ago this weekend – Times-Herald

DARLENEZODIAC.jpg

(Darlene Ferrin with her daughter in front of her Vallejo home in early 1968. Part of the brown Corvair in which she was killed by the Zodiac killer, can be seen in the frame.)

Gaikowski? I haven't been to Voight's sight in a while, will check it out now but, what happen to Arthur Lee Alan? Is he no longer a suspect? I was convinced it was him from the similarities lists on that site.
Hi, joeltodd. Welcome to Websleuth. I thought Arthur Lee Alan seemed like a good suspect, too. However, I believe he was ruled out via DNA testing.

Hi, joeltodd. Welcome to Websleuth. I thought Arthur Lee Alan seemed like a good suspect, too. However, I believe he was ruled out via DNA testing.

Been following Zodiac since I became interested in true crime, but curious about the DNA. I know he (confirmed) stabbed Bates, and Hartnell and Shepard. The rest of the confirmed were gun shots.

So there may be also DNA from the postage stamps and envelopes he licked corresponding with the police/media. Maybe one of the victims scratched him.

Where did the Zodiac DNA come from? Have any of the sources been linked?

Hope familial DNA works out and he could still be alive.

A scant hope of catching the Zodiac Killer perhaps lies on the back of a postage stamp, licked by the murderer 50 years ago.

Will DNA submitted to genealogy sites also finally catch the Zodiac Killer?

This is helpful... hopefully it will work out. I understand it could take some time working out the family tree. Also, hope the sample was complete... like not a partial DNA print to rule someone out, but enough to identify HIM.

A scant hope of catching the Zodiac Killer perhaps lies on the back of a postage stamp, licked by the murderer 50 years ago.

Will DNA submitted to genealogy sites also finally catch the Zodiac Killer?

This is helpful... hopefully it will work out. I understand it could take some time working out the family tree. Also, hope the sample was complete... like not a partial DNA print to rule someone out, but enough to identify HIM.

Would LOVE to see this case closed!

I think Arthur Leigh Allen was most likely the Zodiac Killer for the first three attacks but wonder if the guy who killed Paul Stine was someone different. The Zodiac Killer seemed to go after young couples out in the country while Paul Stine was a little older and in the city.

The coded reference to a bomb is not sitting well with me. I saw the episode where they went looking for it, and having been in the military, I have a degree of knowledge of these things are done, it just does not make sense. First of all you have to hide the device in such a manner that the blast is focused, but the material hiding it does not hinder the blast. Second you need a detonation device that will trigger the explosive device. The problem is, most do not discriminate between a school bus and a car...or even a bike rider if it is a pressure switch or trip wire. Other things like time delay between signal and detonation, timing the target based on speed, etc. One way to ensure you are taking out what you intend to is with a remote trigger operated by the actor, and this sort of plays into the Zodiac being up close and personal and for lack of a better expression, enjoying his work. Something seems a bit off to me.

18 times the Zodiac Killer made the front page of Napa County newspapers in 1969

Sep 27, 2019

"Friday, Sept. 27 marks the 50th anniversary of the Zodiac Killer's attack in Napa County.

College students Cecelia Shepard and Bryan Hartnell were attacked by a masked man at Lake Berryessa in 1969. Shepard died of her stab wounds two days later.

Initially the killer was referred to only as a "psychopathic killer", but the attack was later linked to the Zodiac Killer in October.

This gallery features front pages of the Napa Register and St. Helena Star that featured stories about the Zodiac Killer in 1969...."

18 times the Zodiac Killer made the front page of Napa County newspapers in 1969

He was ruled out as being the person who licked the stamp on the back of an envelope, but maybe the Zodiac isn't the one who licked the stamp. Maybe he bought a pre-stamped envelope or asked someone else to lick the stamp for him.
ALA may not be the Zodiac, but too many things line up to exclude him based merely on the DNA on a stamp.

Question: why would Zodiac have someone else lick the stamp in order to avoid detection? This was long before DNA testing.

Question: why would Zodiac have someone else lick the stamp in order to avoid detection? This was long before DNA testing.
Please try to read more carefully. I never stated that he had someone else lick the stamp "in order to avoid detection."

The glue on stamps had an unpleasant taste (not unlike the glue on many envelopes today).

Some people didn't like to lick them. This is what one woman had to say about the introduction of no-lick stamps back in 1990:
''What a great idea,'' said Liz Rios, who was waiting patiently in line yesterday to mail a letter at the Times Square Station post office in Manhattan. ''The regular stamps taste ookie, and they're always sliding off.''

Maybe the Zodiac also thought that the stamps tasted "ookie."

Maybe he had a young child in his household who liked to lick postage stamps and affix them to envelopes.

Maybe he lived in a household where someone routinely affixed stamps to a pile of envelopes ahead of time.

I'm sure I could posit a number of other reasons why the DNA on the stamp might not have belonged to the Zodiac.

Maybe the Zodiac was a cheapskate who steamed an un-cancelled stamp from a letter that he had received in the mail and re-used that stamp, in which case the DNA on the stamp belong to the original sender (or to someone who had licked the stamp for that person!).

The bottom line is, excluding ALA based on the stamp DNA alone would be unwise.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back