GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of that young mother from FL a few yrs back, I forget her name. She was abducted, raped and murdered, and a motorist called 911 upon seeing her in the back of the killer's car on the highway. Somehow the call didn't reach the right agency, and she was killed. I remember the car was a green Chevy Camaro.

Whoever SNAFU'd this amber alert has some explaining to do.

That was Denise Amber Lee. Another person who SHOULD have been saved, had everything worked the way it's supposed to.

Sorry if this has already been addressed. According to the last press release LE had a lead on him within about 30 minutes and was staking out his house. I believe they said they checked the house for signs of someone in trouble, but backed out when no one was home. LE stated they found signs of foul play, but at that point had to get a warrant to enter the house and collect evidence. LE arrested Woods at about 8:30 pm. They got the warrant at 2:30 am and got the FBI and forensics units in place. It was at about 10:50 this morning that the ME probably was able to get to the victim and confirm. Since it was a crime scene, it would have been processed before the ME would have examined the body so the crime scene was not contaminated. I believe LE knew there was a deceased person in the house, but had to follow certain protocol to ensure a solid case against Wood.

LE had already notified the parents of the situation, so they were not making them wait for confirmation. LE went to the laundry mat at around 3:00 am and according to an attendant, was searching one washing machine and 2 dryers.

This is just so sad. My heart and prayers go out to the family. I just can't even begin to imagine what they are feeling right now.

Where was it said that they were searching the washer and two dryers? And that LE went there at 3am? I am a bit behind and last I heard it was a crime scene. I assumed it's was for washing clothes but didn't know that it was confirmed what he was doing there.

I find that quite sad for the state of the world today if that's how most ppl think. I would consider it not easy, but extremely hard,, in fact impossible, to turn my head if an abduction was taking place within my eyesight.

I hate to see a world where we now give "special" praise for doing simple human obligations, like calling 911 after crimes, or jotting down license numbers off child abductor's vehicles. IMO, any self-respecting person does not have the "option" of dismissing or turning their heads to these humanity obligations.

While I agree with you that people "should" be involved, the truth is it is EASIER for them to just not step up to the plate. While I hate that this is what my world has come to, I don't have a problem praising those who DO step up to the plate and go out of their way to help in situations like this.

Sadly, when I heard about Hailey going missing, I was writing a paper for school about "National Missing Children's Day." Obviously, Missing Children's Day has not only NOT worked -the number of missing persons in this country from 1982 to 2000 found an increase of 468%, and law enforcement receives over 2100 reports a day.

Something needs to be done. Now. This issue has to be important to ALL of us, not just a select few.

~fly free Hailey!~~ I am sorry that your life had to end so terribly.

Wild guess, but maybe he bought it from the students.

This whole case is so incredibly sad. RIP little one.

The person knew him in high school. He wasn't buying drugs from his students. Please let's not start rumors about the school.

One of the photos has a young girl in the foreground.

I can't find the FB page again because I forgot the name but I remember seeing an older woman in the front of a group picture not a young girl.

ETA: Just found it again and it's not a young girl unless 50-60 year olds are "young"

Young to me is 20 and under. I'm approaching 46.

Another ETA: The woman in the picture is: Betty Lynn---Thelma Lou from the Andy Griffith show.

So no, not a young person.

There was a 21 year old kid murdered in Desoto, KS last 10/30/2014. His identification notification press release was done by Twitter. His killer who was arrested was announced by a one paragraph news release written from the District Attorney. And his actual cause of death still has not been released. So comparatively speaking this is a lot of information.

It seems that every time one of these cases comes up someone brings up how rare it is.

Yet we sure seem to have an enormously lengthy list of rare cases.

So many rare cases in fact that crime scientists/police experts who study this type of crime are able to put together a classic scenario for this situation.

THIS particular crime is SO classic and typical that I'd dare say any number of us on here could have written this out on a piece of paper ahead of time and it would have been very accurate description of what we are now seeing play out in the news.

While I understand that in the total number of a given population this event is a statistically low number, I don't think that the frequency of the event is the answer to why it happens nor how to protect our children and it certainly gives no comfort to the parents of a dead child.

I totally agree. These cases are not only "not" rare, they are becoming the "norm" in this country. Like I said earlier, something needs to be done, to stop these monsters. :(

Has there ever been a case of TOTAL stranger abduction of a young child where an Amber Alert was fundamental to the recovery of the child before he/she was murdered? Sounds like its more useful for parental/custodial/seedy uncle cases than it is for the ones most vulnerable and deserving of immediate response.

On the other hand, parental/family abductors kill the children they abducted quite often. Just happened a couple of months ago in fact.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_e56f070d-b766-5b39-b069-87942f81c15a.html

I'm by all means a paranoid, hyper vigilant parent. 90% of the time I walk my daughter to class and pick her up from her classroom. The other 10% of the time I park right outside the school and watch her walk in/out.

There are many kindergartners that walk to and from school. I think this is absurd, I keep an eye on a couple of them as they walk part of the route I take to drop my daughter off.

At what age do most people allow their kids to walk to and from school? I don't know that I'll ever be okay with it. Once she has her own car she can drive, until then I plan to drive her.

It seems, based on no statistics and only on cases I've followed, that most kids that are abducted by strangers off of the street are 8-11 year old girls.

I will never be comfortable with it. My kids are now 13 & 14 and I allow them *some* freedom to ride their bikes in the neighborhood but for the most part I shuffle them to & from various sports activities JUST TO KEEP THEM OFF THE STREETS and supervised *at all times*. I live in an area infested with RSOs and surprisingly it's a pretty nice area.

I was one of the first to post last night. Went to bed hoping this was a non-custodial parent abduction by someone who wouldn't hurt her. I can hardly believe what I'm reading.

How do the parents go on with life after something like this?

Absolutely devastating. No matter what happens to this animal, It won't bring this little girl back.

Prayers for her family.

On the other hand, parental/family abductors kill the children they abducted quite often. Just happened a couple of months ago in fact.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_e56f070d-b766-5b39-b069-87942f81c15a.html

Not sure about the "quite often" part but I'm sure it's happened more than a few times. I think the AA has done some (trace amount of) good but comparatively speaking i think they are more useless than not, more often than not. Especially re total stranger abductions.

Did Hailey attend the same school that Wood worked at? Sorry if that has been answered already.

Did Hailey attend the same school that Wood worked at? Sorry if that has been answered already.

no she was at a different school on the south side of town. he works at a school on the north side of town.

Has there ever been a case of TOTAL stranger abduction of a young child where an Amber Alert was fundamental to the recovery of the child before he/she was murdered? Sounds like its more useful for parental/custodial/seedy uncle cases than it is for the ones most vulnerable and deserving of immediate response.

Paige, I am going to just come out here and say that I am not sure how much this system really works... this does work best if it crosses state lines? I think there really needs to be some other sort of alert that can be immediately activated.

My friend Tina Harmon Murder of Tina Harmon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (that is wikki so please let me bring something else over in a sec) was taken just like this. In seconds. On a busy street where everyone knows everyone and if someone gets in a car or is drawn off you would think someone would see something... not here... No one saw a thing other then her buying candy in a little store in town. She was snatched in SECONDS (just like this case). and fwiw Robert Buell, who also is tied to at least one other murder and the woman that he snatched that ran out of his house naked and screaming and escaped him.. well that man was a city planner for Akron.

You can never know who is who and who does what and I tell you guys.. not a day goes by that I don't think about Tina <----if we would have had 911 back then it could have made the difference ( and fwiw we were still on party lines at the time).:twocents:

There was a 21 year old kid murdered in Desoto, KS last 10/30/2014. His identification notification press release was done by Twitter. His killer who was arrested was announced by a one paragraph news release written from the District Attorney. And his actual cause of death still has not been released. So comparatively speaking this is a lot of information.

Twitter is the best source for live time reporting of just about anything nowadays. It's my GoTo, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000