Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
we need who, what, when, where, why, and how threads
MOO - that would make a shattered confusing and crazy story much more so . IT is so complicated that all elements have to be taken as a whole ( and look how much trouble the world is having doing that,

Ah if it went into serperate places I think it would get more confusing than it is . The who what where how etc are ALL connected into one , at this point , confusing mystery without a body.............

MOO

Investigations are ongoing into the pilot and co-pilot. It emerged yesterday that Zaharie Shah, the plane's pilot, had a flight simulator in his home. It has now been dismantled and taken into police care for further investigation.

The police chief also dismissed speculation that the pilot's family had moved out of their house just days before the flight disappeared, saying that was untrue.

The two men had not asked to fly together
, Hussein told the news conference.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/16/malaysia-plane-missing_n_4974043.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

What do we know about this issue? Which one made the request or did both?

Says they didn't ask.

"Alright goodnight" is pretty standard... We don't all talk like robots over comms. ;) It's lazy for sure, he should have repeated back to ATC their final instruction to him as a confirmation then said "goodnight" technically, but wasn't completely abnormal.

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=yssy_twr&icao=yssy

That's a live feed of Sydney (Australia) ATC Approach and departures.

As you will hear, you get a command/confirm.

So ATC issues a COMMAND to an aircraft, then the aircraft will reply back with a confirmation (repeat back) of that command and then their call sign (identifying themselves)

But listen long enough and you'll hear people get lazy with "understood" or in this case "All right, Good Night"

Is that msm?

Clicking on the link shows the tweet stating it was from Australian media. But I did some footwork for you to find out which Aussie media it came from:

The Today Show ‏@thetodayshow 3h

#BREAKING: @MAS #MH370 aircraft dropped to 5000 feet & may have used 'terrain masking' to avoid detection. @LauraTurner_9 reports #today9
JMO, but Reuters, WSJ, and Australian media have been doing the most reliable job of reporting so far. CNN = fail. (IMHO)

ETA: and just saw your post above--you found another source, too. ;)

The article stated the Malaysia Airlines said it was the voice transmission so I don't understand the discrepancy. Where are you finding the 1:20am response time?

Malaysia Airlines has previously said that the last voice communication with the plane came around 1:30 a.m. Mr. Hishammuddin was not asked and did not say whether that communication came after the disabling of the transponder as well as of ACARS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-flight.html

Would that last voice communication be the mumbling heard by the pilots who were asked to contact MH370 by Vietnam ATC?

oh, I thought that since the tickets were only bought the day before the flight how could they be in mal for a week - i am cofused!

having recently checked out flights from Australia to Russia for my daughter, I found that flights going via China to Europe are cheaper. So Mr Ali only had to check on his computer and would know that they would go via china if he bought the cheapest tickets. Jmoo

Waddles stated that during the press conference it was said that the transponder was shut off before the "All-right, good night" transmission. I responded with the quote from the NYtimes which reports that the matter was not addressed.

And, in the words of Lily Thomplin, that's all I've got to say about that. Pfft. :)

I believe I didn't say "transponder" but if I did I would have been confused and meant ACARS. I was just focusing on the new information that was released in the presser whereby we had confirmation there was a deliberate switch off before voice comm (alright, good night)

I have seen that too - sorry but I keep going back to the professor being a particpant in this!!

Alathough you know what just hit me this INSTANT - the last transmission was described as mumbled -- and since whoever was involved - it was to start right after that transmission SO whoever was on the mike might have just been clobbered.

The transmission was also described as static - wrestling with the mike??

Or dazed as in lack of oxygen?

My research is starting to scare me!

"Running amok" is used to refer to the behavior of someone who, in the grip of strong emotion, obtains a weapon and begins attacking people indiscriminately, often with multiple fatalities.[13] An episode of amok may be triggered by a period of depression or highly aggressive behavior. The slang term going postal is similar in scope. Police describe such an event as a killing spree. If the individual is seeking death an alternate method is often suicide by cop.

Amok is often described as a culture-bound (or culture-specific) syndrome,[14][15] which is a psychological condition whose manifestation is strongly shaped by cultural factors. Other reported culture-bound syndromes are latah and koro. Amok is also sometimes considered one of the subcategories of dissociative disorders (cross-cultural variant)."

"Amok originated from the Indonesian word mengamuk, which when roughly defined means “to make a furious and desperate charge”.[5] According to Indonesian culture, amok was rooted in a deep spiritual belief.[6] They believed that amok was caused by the hantu belian,[7] which was an evil tiger spirit that entered one’s body and caused the heinous act. As a result of the belief, those in Indonesian culture tolerated amok and dealt with the after effects with no ill will towards the assailant.[8]

Although commonly used in a colloquial and less-violent sense, the phrase is particularly associated with a specific sociopathic culture-bound syndrome in Malaysian culture. In a typical case of running amok, an individual (often male), having shown no previous sign of anger or any inclination to violence, will acquire a weapon (traditionally a sword or dagger, but presently any of a variety of weapons) and in a sudden frenzy, will attempt to kill or seriously injure anyone he encounters and himself.[9] Amok typically takes place in a well populated or crowded area. Amok episodes of this kind normally end with the attacker being killed by bystanders or committing suicide, eliciting theories that amok may be a form of intentional suicide in cultures where suicide is heavily stigmatized.[10] Those who do not commit suicide and are not killed typically lose consciousness, and upon regaining consciousness, claim amnesia.

A widely accepted explanation links amok with male honor (amok by women is virtually unknown).[12] Running amok would thus be both a way of escaping the world (since perpetrators were normally killed) and re-establishing one's reputation as a man to be feared and respected. Some observers[who?] have related this explanation to Islam's ban on suicide, which, it is suggested, drove Indonesian men to create circumstances in which others would kill them.

Running amok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow. Used in our family as someone being silly. Remember using that when talking to the klingon at the star trek thing in Las Vegas. It's always been a joke as the klingon said, "Amok? What is this amok you speak of?"

Weird.

I'm convinced that it's misinformation that the transponder was turned off before, rather than after the voice transmission, but setting that aside, it is definitely important to determine who the speaker was - especially if it was neither of the pilots.

I'd like one of our pilot friends to clarify if they can - where exactly is the hatch door for the ACARS system. Some reports I've seen say it's actually in the cockpit covering a hole in the floor that contains the electronics, iother reports say it's accessible from elsewhere in the plane and the pilots may not have been aware it was turned off.

it was confirmed in the press conference though, a few of us saw it live and it was then printed in MSM as I reposted last page

Chilly Willy, I see this is where my mistake came in, you had said "transponder" and I contradicted you, it was me misunderstanding and naively confusing transponder and ACARS, as I see a couple of news sources I quoted did too!

The reports I've seen say the transponder was turned off one minute after the "All right, good night" transmission. If it had been turned of prior to that, Malaysia would have known there was a problem before handing the plane over to VN. Let me look for a link...I'll be back.

14.47 One of today's more substantial developments has been confirmation at the Kuala Lumpur press conference that the plane's tracking systems - known as ACARS [Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System] and the transponder - were switched off before the pilot send his final radio communication to air traffic control, in which he said "Alright, good night" without hinting at any trouble.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-plane-crash-live.html

I believe I didn't say "transponder" but if I did I would have been confused and meant ACARS. I was just focusing on the new information that was released in the presser whereby we had confirmation there was a deliberate switch off before voice comm (alright, good night)

No problem. I think we're all on the same page now...until tomorrow when Malaysia denies it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishman