GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am troubled by really how stupid Nicole would have to be to tell IM the things she is reported to have told her. For someone supposedly trying to cover involvement in a murder, it just becomes unbelievable that Nicole would say the things she did in front of another person not involved in the crime. So I went back and looked again at the Probable Cause document. Is it possible that Nicole is furious that her husband appears to be a liar, she herself isn't a liar and doesn't get tongue tied, she might be saying. Could it actually be that she only very strongly suspects her killed her and is very irritated that he's bumbling with stupid excuses when she herself has no trouble with a clear line of answers? And then the statement that no body no crime - that's what a lot of us say here and also the belief that the body won't be found.

So. Rereading this, is it possible that Nicole only very strongly suspects him and is not involved herself?

edited to add: I guess that doesn't take into account she was probably seen at the car at 10 a.m.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1225468-1765-001.html

Well, right. CL first, then NL stand to benefit. So that's a good starting point. But as you say, investigators can get "tunnel vision" when they look for clues to support hunches rather than gathering all the clues and seeing what can be made of them.
You are correct. Tunnel vision can be detrimental to an investigation. But mother nature and time can be detrimental to a crime scene and the hope for DNA evidence. When stung by a wasp... you smack it first... then go hunt for the nest... lol. By all means don't misinterpret what I'm saying. All possibilities should be looked at, but keep going hard and fast in the most obvious direction. Lateral thinking is never bad, unless you spend too much time ignoring facts. I enjoy reading and investigating all the theories on here.

I pray there is a break in this case soon. I also have concerns that "if" EC met foul play, the baby may have been removed in some misguided effort to avoid discovering who the father is. This is just my opinion.

My whole theory on this case has changed.
<snip>

I actually am even starting to doubt if Erin was still having (or even if she ever) had an affair with CL. I'm thinking this whole drama just got started because of back-bitting gossip. JMO, but I can't understand why Erin would tell her husband she was pregnant if she thought for a minute it was CL's. Especially because she told JC on father's day.

<snip>

I'm thinking that somebody is starting/spreading a lot of this drama/gossip. Somebody could be trying to take the focus off their own self and pin it on somebody they hate.

As always this is just my 2 cents. It's not a popular theory, but I always think most cases are usually pretty simple.

Why would Erin have told her best friend, who lives on the other side of the country, with zero relationship to any of the other people in California, a story that wasn't true?

Why lie to her? What would that do?

She had texts even saying that was going on:

A friend of Erin's in Tennessee, “confirmed Erin and Lee were romantically involved and Erin may be pregnant with Lee’s child,” wrote Detective Cory Emon in a probable-cause affidavit filed July 4 at the Joshua Tree courthouse.

And how could she be stirring up gossip and drama in 29 Palms from the other side of the country in a circle of people she didn't know?

She obviously hadn't spoken publicly to attest to any of this or a) we'd have known all this from her prior to the document releases, and b) if she'd been spreading it as a gossip somewhere, it'd have been found by all the WSers!

And if it's all a lie and someone's trying to put the focus on someone else, again, how does the best friend factor in?

LE got confirmation or what apparently was quite widely known or suspected in/around 29 Palms - from Erin herself, by way of her best friend. Who was thousands of miles away.

I just don't see how what you're saying above is possible given:
  1. the best friend's testimony,
  2. the best friend having texts detailing much of what others were saying
  3. the best friend having those texts actually FROM Erin
  4. the best friend being thousands of miles away
  5. the best friend being completely removed from the relationship circle in 29 Palms
  6. the texts having been sent before Erin disappeared (so they clearly aren't someone doing so after she was gone)

Or are you saying you think ERIN hatched all this up? :thinking:

That she's trying to frame the couple AND get out of her marriage AND walk away from her family and friends, so she's put this very elaborate scheme in place, even going back far enough to have planted "evidence" of a non-existent relationship to someone on the other side of the country (who, for all she knew, LE may never even know existed) or something?

And then what would be HER motive? She'd have lost everything AND had to figure out where to start over away from anyone who'd be tied to all of the above.

Because otherwise I just don't see how someone in 29 Palms could be creating all this "drama/gossip" when someone unrelated to it all, on the other side of the country, has physical proof of having been told basically all the "drama/gossip" from the actual person at the center of it.

What am I missing of how that can work?

You are correct. Tunnel vision can be detrimental to an investigation. But mother nature and time can be detrimental to a crime scene and the hope for DNA evidence. When stung by a wasp... you smack it first... then go hunt for the nest... lol. By all means don't misinterpret what I'm saying. All possibilities should be looked at, but keep going hard and fast in the most obvious direction. Lateral thinking is never bad, unless you spend too much time ignoring facts. I enjoy reading and investigating all the theories on here.

I pray there is a break in this case soon. I also have concerns that "if" EC met foul play, the baby may have been removed in some misguided effort to avoid discovering who the father is. This is just my opinion.

Is that a concern at that point though? BBM

My whole theory on this case has changed.

Unlike most everybody else, I believe the police have leaked the information about CL and NL. They want another person to feel that they are not focused on them at all- when IMO, they are researching this person's movements very hard. This person had the most motive to hurt Erin. IMO, I think this person knew Erin was meeting up with CL. He followed them and observed them. He was in his friends red car, or he borrowed a red car from somewhere. Heck, it may even be his red car and we just don't know about it. When CL drove away from Erin, this person pulled up and told Erin they needed to talk. That's why Erin got in the car with this person (b/c she knew who it was)

I actually am even starting to doubt if Erin was still having (or even if she ever) had an affair with CL. I'm thinking this whole drama just got started because of back-bitting gossip. JMO, but I can't understand why Erin would tell her husband she was pregnant if she thought for a minute it was CL's. Especially because she told JC on father's day.

Some people would say because CL lied during police questioning is a red flag. Probably, but it could also be that he lied because he knew he was one of the last to see her. Obviously, CL and his wife have had problems because of the whole Erin story before. Gossip or not, I don't know. I can def. see NL not liking Erin and that could be the reason for the "mouthy" sections of her police interviews. If CL and Erin were close (either as good friends or lovers, she very well may have told him her secrets) and CL has told the police. I can't see LE letting CL go back to Alaska with the amount of information it looks like they have. I think it's a red herring.

I'm thinking that somebody is starting/spreading a lot of this drama/gossip. Somebody could be trying to take the focus off their own self and pin it on somebody they hate.

As always this is just my 2 cents. It's not a popular theory, but I always think most cases are usually pretty simple.

hmmmm you've got me :thinking:....the times quoted early in the investigation seemed odd & may be a clue as in EC was last seen at 7am. and CL says he was in JTNP at 7:30 am. Then there is mention that EC was supposed to be OR wasn't home at 4:00pm. and CL states he was home by 4:00pm. odd how those times were so similar given that they were neighbors and an affair between them was allegedly known by their spouses (at least at one point in time) and other neighbors....I'd think they'd want to arrive/leave their respective apts. at very different times so as not to arouse suspicion if that were the case......maybe EC & CL BOTH received a text "from each other" for that particular day.....just trying out some different angles in my head :thinking:

I am not fluent in forensic science, so I have no idea if the biological father could be determined from human remains if the fetus has been removed. What I do know is CL has allegedly told LE that he has only kissed EC. Therefore the only evidence that might be contrary to that is the baby. It could be very relevant.

just some personal thoughts on move to Alaska and if they are there right now.

CL was arrested and made bail. If he is being held over on that charge (I believe iirc, I will have to find the link) that he has to be in court on that felony charge in early August.. I am not sure what the conditions of his bail would be but I would not think he could leave the state? Perhaps he could, idk?

As for the move to the ranch and the honorable discharge: (just my two cents as a twenty year military spouse)

1) you cannot just "move out" of on post housing which tells me that most likely they had this move planned. You have to clear housing. He would have had to clear his unit. The military will also pay for your last move (I see a uhaul was searched so they were attempting a DITY move (do it yourself move) and the military will pay you to move and also pay per pound of items moved.. We have done this MANY MANY times over the years in service.. To leave the post the service member also has to clear post itself and is given a check list of all the places you have to go to clear post.

2) honorable discharge can be changed but only after CL goes to court for his pending charge (and if he is found guilty of that charge). His charge was before his ETS, so that means it was still while he was on active duty. If he is found guilty of that felony charge his status can surly be changed.

Is it possible the text to Tennessee about Erin's plans for the day came from Erin's phone but not from Erin?

To clear housing involves someone from housing on post inspecting the home and garage that NL was noted as mentioning. (<---personal experience of living on post) If something was in the garage during that first search that was done on warrant of the apartment and LE did not search the garage as NL mentions in the latest documents it that means whatever she is referring to is hidden well in the garage or LE already has it in either the 1) mentioned duffle bag or the 2) Uhaul of their belongings. <----also in return warrant list of PCA

This case is so reminiscent of Maria Lauterbach...

Is it possible the text to Tennessee about Erin's plans for the day came from Erin's phone but not from Erin?

I believe I read the friend forwarded several texts to LE confirming Erin had told her about the affair before ?

:thinking: time for some strong coffee....if you all smell smoke it's just my brain :)

Possible, but who would do it? Her husband could have perhaps, but it doesnt seem anyone thinks he really had anything to do with this. All signs still point to her being with CL that day and it would make no sense if he would've sent that text. From what we've heard, shes indicated to this friend in Tennessee prior to this day, that she had an affair with CL. And who else would know she told this friend? Would there be any reason for her to tell someone else "oh by the way my friend in TN knows all about this"?

Why would Erin have told her best friend, who lives on the other side of the country, with zero relationship to any of the other people in California, a story that wasn't true?

Why lie to her? What would that do?

She had texts even saying that was going on:

And how could she be stirring up gossip and drama in 29 Palms from the other side of the country in a circle of people she didn't know?

She obviously hadn't spoken publicly to attest to any of this or a) we'd have known all this from her prior to the document releases, and b) if she'd been spreading it as a gossip somewhere, it'd have been found by all the WSers!

And if it's all a lie and someone's trying to put the focus on someone else, again, how does the best friend factor in?

LE got confirmation or what apparently was quite widely known or suspected in/around 29 Palms - from Erin herself, by way of her best friend. Who was thousands of miles away.

I just don't see how what you're saying above is possible given:
  1. the best friend's testimony,
  2. the best friend having texts detailing much of what others were saying
  3. the best friend having those texts actually FROM Erin
  4. the best friend being thousands of miles away
  5. the best friend being completely removed from the relationship circle in 29 Palms
  6. the texts having been sent before Erin disappeared (so they clearly aren't someone doing so after she was gone)

Or are you saying you think ERIN hatched all this up? :thinking:

That she's trying to frame the couple AND get out of her marriage AND walk away from her family and friends, so she's put this very elaborate scheme in place, even going back far enough to have planted "evidence" of a non-existent relationship to someone on the other side of the country (who, for all she knew, LE may never even know existed) or something?

And then what would be HER motive? She'd have lost everything AND had to figure out where to start over away from anyone who'd be tied to all of the above.

Because otherwise I just don't see how someone in 29 Palms could be creating all this "drama/gossip" when someone unrelated to it all, on the other side of the country, has physical proof of having been told basically all the "drama/gossip" from the actual person at the center of it.

What am I missing of how that can work?

This is close to a theory that I can see, but mine is a little less opposed to the facts. Although it is just a theory, and not at all one I want to try and convince anyone is right, since I think the CL/NL theory is at least as likely, probably more so.
My alternative theory is that the facts all remain the same - CL and EC were having an affair, and were out on a day trip June 28. But my theory is that CL may not be guilty of anything more than this - and that LE knows this. But focusing ALL the public attention on CL would make the other male in the triangle feel as if he were completely in the clear, thus making it easier for LE to obtain evidence, have him slip up etc.
The only reason I can see merit to this is that in all the years I have followed cases (a very long time...) I have never seen LE accidentally slip up and not seal information that should be sealed. But over the years I have seen a few interesting information leaks that were done for a specific reason, such as to confuse the suspect.

I have to get back to my actual paying job... but I must say that everything in this investigation points to CL.

JTNP is smoke and mirrors. 8 hours to get somewhere and return. That means there is at least a 4 hour radius from the base.

Credit/debit card subpoenas. ATM subpoenas. Check everything the weeks leading up to the disappearance. Was there a change in method of operation? Did subject normally pay for gas on debit/credit card then suddenly for a few days didn't? There are so many things going through my head right now. Good reading guys...

just some personal thoughts on move to Alaska and if they are there right now.

CL was arrested and made bail. If he is being held over on that charge (I believe iirc, I will have to find the link) that he has to be in court on that felony charge in early August.. I am not sure what the conditions of his bail would be but I would not think he could leave the state? Perhaps he could, idk?

As for the move to the ranch and the honorable discharge: (just my two cents as a twenty year military spouse)

1) you cannot just "move out" of on post housing which tells me that most likely they had this move planned. You have to clear housing. He would have had to clear his unit. The military will also pay for your last move (I see a uhaul was searched so they were attempting a DITY move (do it yourself move) and the military will pay you to move and also pay per pound of items moved.. We have done this MANY MANY times over the years in service.. To leave the post the service member also has to clear post itself and is given a check list of all the places you have to go to clear post.

2) honorable discharge can be changed but only after CL goes to court for his pending charge (and if he is found guilty of that charge). His charge was before his ETS, so that means it was still while he was on active duty. If he is found guilty of that felony charge his status can surly be changed.

BBM: I think ultimately there won't be charges filed for this offense. I think it was convenient at the moment for LE to arrest him and hold him for a few days, however, I don't think him merely owning a spud launcher is illegal. If I remember correctly his court date is September 9, 2014.

Lee, who was Corwin's neighbor, had reportedly planned to take Corwin on a hunting trip the same day she disappeared. But in an interview with investigators, he said he ended up going alone.
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80878013/

Where was they going to meet up? Did they plan on meeting at the spot Beasley spotted the two cars?
Did he tell anybody else about this trip w/Erin? He claims there was no affair. If they were just friends, there would be no need for secrecy about this trip.
Why would he go alone when Erin was seen leaving the base to meet him?
The texts to the friend state she was excited about the trip. So why would she not show without any word to him?
Did he send any texts and/or attempt to call Erin asking why she didn't show?
How long did he wait for her to show before he went on without her?

I smell bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member