GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible the text to Tennessee about Erin's plans for the day came from Erin's phone but not from Erin?

In most cases, I would think a best friend could tell if someone other than their best friend was texting them, especially if they texted often. I got a text the other day from someone's phone telling me they were sick. When I spoke with her later, I asked if she had had her significant other send the text because the linguistic patterns didn't match. The wording, the cadence and the punctuation were all off. They were grammatically correct, but they were not her. And this is not a person I text every day. Indeed, it was her S.O. (nothing nefarious, she was just too ill to cancel plans herself) People know how their friends talk and text.

BBM: I think ultimately there won't be charges filed for this offense. I think it was convenient at the moment for LE to arrest him and hold him for a few days, however, I don't think him merely owning a spud launcher is illegal. If I remember correctly his court date is September 9, 2014.

Just so we're clear, is the offense stemming from ownership of the potato gun? Is anyone sure?

It seems really odd that the probable cause document mentioned leaving her injured. Why would it say it like that?

Apparently potato guns are illegal in California.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...tato-guns-are-illegal-in-california-who-knew/

OR...

- CL meets EC at the dirt area near the road. CL in his Green Honda Civic. EC in her Toyota.
- EC gets in the Green car and drives out with CL to "celebrate her pregnancy" in a remote location.
- MB witnesses the encounter but mistakes the green car for a red car due to deuteranopia (or possibly deuteranomaly)
- At the remote location CL attacks and kills EC out of jealousy or fear. Whether premeditated or not, we don't know yet.
- CL gets rid of her body, probably at the location of the attack, strips her cell phone, and recovers her car keys.
- He drives back to the initial location and, parking the jeep far away from the road, walks back to the Toyota.
- He drives the Toyota further up from the road and closer to the jeep, driving over his own shoeprints in the process.
- CL collects a bag full of anything that could indicate she was with him that day and carries it back to the jeep
- CL is so distraught with what he's done that he immediately confides in NL when he gets home and she freaks out
- NL misguidedly takes steps to keep her family intact though her anger and shock boils over at inopportune moments

I could be wrong. But any scenario involving the red (or green) car involves the killer(s) returning to the blue car and moving it after the murder, right? That is a very risky move. They just disposed of a body and they return to simply move the Toyota 100 feet. Very risky indeed.

I could be wrong. But any scenario involving the red (or green) car involves the killer(s) returning to the blue car and moving it after the murder, right? That is a very risky move. They just disposed of a body and they return to simply move the Toyota 100 feet. Very risky indeed.

I'm not sure it was moved. The sister didn't seem completely sure - and so I think the investigation needs to be very open to the thought that the car remained there in the same spot after the woman got in the other vehicle (Jeep? Red sedan?)

I'm not sure it was moved. The sister didn't seem completely sure - and so I think the investigation needs to be very open to the thought that the car remained there in the same spot after the woman got in the other vehicle (Jeep? Red sedan?)

You have to account for footprints going to the JEEP tire tracks. No mention of red car tire tracks.

You have to account for footprints going to the JEEP tire tracks. No mention of red car tire tracks.

Right. Jeep tire tracks.

Considering MB's statement, he probably didn't realize how important his observations would become to this case, and may easily have misremembered the kind of car the woman was getting into. He was probably just watching casually, as in "hm. Why are they leaving that car". His description of Nicole seems so good that I have to think that's what happened, vehicle description inaccuracies aside.

I am troubled by really how stupid Nicole would have to be to tell IM the things she is reported to have told her. For someone supposedly trying to cover involvement in a murder, it just becomes unbelievable that Nicole would say the things she did in front of another person not involved in the crime. So I went back and looked again at the Probable Cause document. Is it possible that Nicole is furious that her husband appears to be a liar, she herself isn't a liar and doesn't get tongue tied, she might be saying. Could it actually be that she only very strongly suspects her killed her and is very irritated that he's bumbling with stupid excuses when she herself has no trouble with a clear line of answers? And then the statement that no body no crime - that's what a lot of us say here and also the belief that the body won't be found.

So. Rereading this, is it possible that Nicole only very strongly suspects him and is not involved herself?

edited to add: I guess that doesn't take into account she was probably seen at the car at 10 a.m.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1225468-1765-001.html

When I read what is written in the probable cause statements, trying very hard not to interpret them in any way based on my own thoughts about the people or evidence, I don't think that would be a reasonable explanation for what IM quoted her as saying. Now, the real question in my mind is whether or not IM relayed NL's statements accurately or did she do any interpretation of her own? Only LE would know the answer to that, I suppose. I would expect trained interrogators to press her and make her confirm they said exactly what she is quoting.

As I typed this, another thought hit me. The judge sees hundreds of cases and warrants compared to us and, since they got their warrant, the judge apparently did not have any problem believing the possible suspects would be stupid enough to say those things.

This is just looking more heart breaking.

I wonder what would have happened to "the body" that it wouldn't be found, if that was in fact truly said and happened...

One possible scenario is that the wife that said that just thinks she is brilliant and devised the plan. If that is the case I hope they turn on each other and reveal where she is so she can be put to rest and have some closure for the family.

Other scenarios why she would say this?

Is it possible the text to Tennessee about Erin's plans for the day came from Erin's phone but not from Erin?

Is it possible? Sure. I suppose the better question is "is it likely". The friend has clearly known about the affair for a while. I imagine they surely exchanged a few back and forth before she turned the phone off. Probably enough to get that Erin was excited, which an imposter would probably not be able to properly convey. I don't think it's likely that someone else sent those texts from her phone. JMO

Is it possible? Sure. I suppose the better question is "is it likely". The friend has clearly known about the affair for a while. I imagine they surely exchanged a few back and forth before she turned the phone off. Probably enough to get that Erin was excited, which an imposter would probably not be able to properly convey. I don't think it's likely that someone else sent those texts from her phone. JMO

Yep, and now that I think about it, since EC is from Tennessee, her phraseology would be subtly different than someone who grew up in… well, let's just say for the sake of argument, Alaska. Even in text, her southern dialect would come out, especially to a close friend who would likely "hear" the texts in EC's voice whens she reads them. (Think about it, when you get a text from someone you know well, many people's brains hear them when they read them, I hope you understand what I mean.)

from the affidavit.

" A single set of shoe tracks were found to lead from the driver door of Erin's vehicle and then disappear next to a set of vehicle tracks "

They did not specify how many sets of vehicle tracks were near Erin's car. Just because they did not mention other vehicle tracks , does not mean other tracks do not exist.

Yep, and now that I think about it, since EC is from Tennessee, her phraseology would be subtly different than someone who grew up in… well, let's just say for the sake of argument, Alaska. Even in text, her southern dialect would come out, especially to a close friend who would likely "hear" the texts in EC's voice whens she reads them. (Think about it, when you get a text from someone you know well, many people's brains hear them when they read them, I hope you understand what I mean.)

I understand exactly what you mean. I do that myself. :)

I think with MB's detailed description of the woman he saw, along with his description of the man, I believe he did see a red car. One rumor I read somewhere else is that CL and NL did have another car that they kept off base. Something about this car didn't have stickers or tags, something that this car didn't have, so they couldn't drive it on the base. My opinion is if this car does indeed exist it was kept at the Ranch. I would like to know if LE plans on obtaining a warrant to search the property and grounds of the Ranch and plan searches for areas surrounding the Ranch for the murder weapon, Erin's cell phone, and Erin's body. I don't think Erin is in JT.

Just so we're clear, is the offense stemming from ownership of the potato gun? Is anyone sure?

It seems really odd that the probable cause document mentioned leaving her injured. Why would it say it like that?

Apparently potato guns are illegal in California.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...tato-guns-are-illegal-in-california-who-knew/

I didn't know it is illegal in CA to own one. I looked up the person referenced in the article and it doesn't appear any charges were filed against him for the ownership. I personally think LE used it as an excuse to take CL in to the jail. I doubt charges will be filed against CL for that crime.

Thanks for putting this out there. I really have a hard time believing that the red compact sedan does not exist, or is green or was perhaps really a Jeep. Mr. Beasley seems like a "guys guy" and I am pretty sure he described it at one point as a"late-model compact red sedan" (will try to find link in which he is quoted as using those terms). I really just don't think he would get it confused with a Jeep or older Honda Civic. I know I wouldn't get those confused and I am not a big "car person." I don't think we can rule out that absolutely no other cars other than the Jeep and Erin's were ever present at the site where her car was found.

from the affidavit.

" A single set of shoe tracks were found to lead from the driver door of Erin's vehicle and then disappear next to a set of vehicle tracks "

They did not specify how many sets of vehicle tracks were near Erin's car. Just because they did not mention other vehicle tracks , does not mean other tracks do not exist.

This is just looking more heart breaking.

I wonder what would have happened to "the body" that it wouldn't be found, if that was in fact truly said and happened...

One possible scenario is that the wife that said that just thinks she is brilliant and devised the plan. If that is the case I hope they turn on each other and reveal where she is so she can be put to rest and have some closure for the family.

Other scenarios why she would say this?

I think a very strong possibility is that she in a mine. So awful to think but I always think back to Susan Powell. Her monster of a husband said the year before at a xmas party...that the best place to hide a body is in a mine. ugh

With so many of them out in that area it just seems like a very strong possiblity.

This case just reminds me of the evil that Heather Elvis encountered. I think both CL and NL planned it.

I didn't know it is illegal in CA to own one. I looked up the person referenced in the article and it doesn't appear any charges were filed against him for the ownership. I personally think LE used it as an excuse to take CL in to the jail. I doubt charges will be filed against CL for that crime.

I also think he was charged with this just to get him in the system. However, potato guns are crazy dangerous. They are almost always mcgyvered at home and depending on the amount of alcohol involved in the production and use, quality control is often a bit lax. Depending on the propellent used, the ammo etc, it can kill a person. I don't care what you're shooting, if it can break the sound barrier, a marshmallow can kill. (No, I don't have any friends who build such things, why do you ask? I know nothing, nothing I tell you.)

If you're curious, wikipedia's article is pretty good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spud_gun

I am troubled by really how stupid Nicole would have to be to tell IM the things she is reported to have told her. For someone supposedly trying to cover involvement in a murder, it just becomes unbelievable that Nicole would say the things she did in front of another person not involved in the crime. So I went back and looked again at the Probable Cause document. Is it possible that Nicole is furious that her husband appears to be a liar, she herself isn't a liar and doesn't get tongue tied, she might be saying. Could it actually be that she only very strongly suspects her killed her and is very irritated that he's bumbling with stupid excuses when she herself has no trouble with a clear line of answers? And then the statement that no body no crime - that's what a lot of us say here and also the belief that the body won't be found.

So. Rereading this, is it possible that Nicole only very strongly suspects him and is not involved herself?

edited to add: I guess that doesn't take into account she was probably seen at the car at 10 a.m.

Why did NL tell IM the Detectives would never find the body? What would make her say that? She doesn't think it's at all possible Erin left on her own? Speaks to personal knowledge IMO

It doesn't really seem like we're dealing with criminal masterminds here. If they were moving back to Alaska in a few weeks and CL was discharged, they didn't need to do anything to EC. Once released from the Corps and living in another state, paternity would be much harder to establish and it would be much more difficult to get money if that's what they were worried about. They could have just happily moved back to AK and disappeared into the wilderness.

To play devil's advocate, however, I will say, that anyone out there knows that the mines are the place to hide bodies. There are a number of missing persons cases in the area where that very thing is suspected. April Pitzer comes to mind.

After Diane Zamora and David Graham lured his lover Adrianne Jones to her death, Diane was so overwhelmed with righteous vindictiveness that she couldn't resist telling a friend that they killed her. She was filled with vengeful hate and wanted people to know. When her friend asked if she regretted doing it, she was adamant that the answer was no. This is the context in which I see NL's comments. She may think there is no case without a body, and therefore feels free to thumb her nose at the police, Erin's family, etc. Zamora felt completely justified in killing Adrianne, and probably expected her friends to concur and keep the secret. Young psychopaths, even highly intelligent ones, are sometimes tripped up by their lack of fear and compassion.

Let's hope NL has said other stupid incriminating things, and that they come to light before they get all lawyered up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saky