Is Oprah being unfair??

deandaniellws said:
I know...but it is hard to act any other way! He is a real cutie! Not so much as his looks, but his manners and how he treats his fans. :blushing:
Omg, John travolta cute, you must be joking lol
He is uglier than Cruise and just as fanatical, he just keeps it to himself more.
He too expected his wife to give birth without pain control and without making noise.....any man who expects that is a complete moron in my book.
ps, she caved and had an epidural.

narlacat said:

Heehee! My mom says he has pig eyes. You know, real close together and deep set. I can't look at him without laughing now. :crazy: :innocent:

I don't think he's good looking either, but I do think he's a great actor.

I must admit, I did like him in Pulp Fiction, that's one of my fave movies...

Tonight - Wednesday, June 7th - 9 PM EDT

MSNBC - Scarborough Country

Promo: OPRAH - Queen of Daytime - One of TV's Most Influential People - Scathing New Article Claims Oprah Isn't So Perfect - Profits Mightily Off Other's Misery?

"Is The Media Love Affair Over?"

Joe Finds Out Why The Press May Be Turning Against Oprah.

dum-de-dum-dum .... tune in tonight for answers.

13th Juror :)

13th Juror said:

Tonight - Wednesday, June 7th - 9 PM EDT

MSNBC - Scarborough Country

Promo: OPRAH - Queen of Daytime - One of TV's Most Influential People - Scathing New Article Claims Oprah Isn't So Perfect - Profits Mightily Off Other's Misery?

"Is The Media Love Affair Over?"

Joe Finds Out Why The Press May Be Turning Against Oprah.

dum-de-dum-dum .... tune in tonight for answers.

13th Juror :)

I'm so tuning into this. Thanks for the heads up.

narlacat said:
He is uglier than Cruise and just as fanatical, he just keeps it to himself more.
He too expected his wife to give birth without pain control and without making noise.....any man who expects that is a complete moron in my book.
ps, she caved and had an epidural.
No, I wasn't. I think he is a cutie.
:eek: I love the way he smiles and has wonderful manners. :D His eyes are pretty and he treats his fans well. :p

Olivia77 said:
I used to love Oprah and watch her almost daily with my fiance. Then, about 7 or 8 months ago we noticed that she became very, very condescending with her guests. Everything on her part seemed totally fake and contrived. Now, neither of us can stand her. It happened overnight, it was really weird!
Thank you! Those are my sentiments exactly!! That's why I think her new mentor should be Phil Donahue instead of Dr. Phil McGraw. It's almost like she wants to have Dr. Phil's let's get real, edgy kind of stuff and I think it's a turn off. Once upon a time, she was very influenced by Phil donahue. He really started talk shows Love the man!!!!!!!!! Never missed an episode-don't even know how old I was when I started watching him but absolutely adored him. I wish he could read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shopper said:
I'm so tuning into this. Thanks for the heads up.
Thanks Shopper-I'll be switching back and forth between LKL and this! Wish they weren't on at the same time.

ellen13 said:
Thanks Shopper-I'll be switching back and forth between LKL and this! Wish they weren't on at the same time.
Okay, when they posed the question on MSNBC last night that is Oprah's selfishness just a mirror of what our society has become and how we all are? Good question. But, I don't think so. I believe that the stardom has made her larger than life, even to herself. You can't generalize society like that. Society was self-absorbed back in Phil Donahue's day, but he wasn't like that.
Not to be mean or controversial, but she had quite the defender on there last night.

I'm the girl who keeps bringing up Oprah and Phil Donahue-blah blah blah-ok, so I saw him as a father figure when my dad wasn't around. Take it or leave it. I guess I just hold a grudge when she was yelling at James Frey. I taped that show and watch it occassionally and they showed clips last night and I got fired up all over again. I think at this point, she'd have to do something nice for him for me to find forgiveness. She made Amber Frey look like a *advertiser censored* and she made Carole Radziwell look like her book wouldn't have sold had she not mentioned Jfk jr. Well. guess what. Only a small part of the book was about JFK and the rest was about her real life husband "The Prince" who died of cancer-a gut-wrenching story. She was married to a prince for god's sake. That book was well-written and would have sold without the JFK attached to it.
I worried James was going to kill himself or abuse drug and alcohol after she did a number on him like that and his mom. And finally, just 3 weeks ago, she had that gorgeous Queen on--Queen Rainia-can't remember from what country-she's Arabic I believe but here was this gorgeous, humble, down to earth "queen," being so articulate, giving and gracious, and Oprah even took a few jabs at her. Sorry, I will stop the Oprah rant for now. Just had to get a few things off my chest because I used to be an Oprah lover and then I finally saw the light. But damn it, she'll go and do something good and I have to suck it up.

ellen13 said:
Okay, when they posed the question on MSNBC last night that is Oprah's selfishness just a mirror of what our society has become and how we all are? Good question. But, I don't think so. I believe that the stardom has made her larger than life, even to herself. You can't generalize society like that. Society was self-absorbed back in Phil Donahue's day, but he wasn't like that.
Not to be mean or controversial, but she had quite the defender on there last night.

I'm the girl who keeps bringing up Oprah and Phil Donahue-blah blah blah-ok, so I saw him as a father figure when my dad wasn't around. Take it or leave it. I guess I just hold a grudge when she was yelling at James Frey. I taped that show and watch it occassionally and they showed clips last night and I got fired up all over again. I think at this point, she'd have to do something nice for him for me to find forgiveness. She made Amber Frey look like a *advertiser censored* and she made Carole Radziwell look like her book wouldn't have sold had she not mentioned Jfk jr. Well. guess what. Only a small part of the book was about JFK and the rest was about her real life husband "The Prince" who died of cancer-a gut-wrenching story. She was married to a prince for god's sake. That book was well-written and would have sold without the JFK attached to it.
I worried James was going to kill himself or abuse drug and alcohol after she did a number on him like that and his mom. And finally, just 3 weeks ago, she had that gorgeous Queen on--Queen Rainia-can't remember from what country-she's Arabic I believe but here was this gorgeous, humble, down to earth "queen," being so articulate, giving and gracious, and Oprah even took a few jabs at her. Sorry, I will stop the Oprah rant for now. Just had to get a few things off my chest because I used to be an Oprah lover and then I finally saw the light. But damn it, she'll go and do something good and I have to suck it up.

I remember her saying that to Carole Radizwill, about how no one would be interested in her story if it didn't have the JFK Jr. connection. WTF??? How insensitive. It was more a memoir of Carole and Anthony's life and his struggles than her glomming onto the Kennedy's. Caroline was her friend and was there for Carole and Anthony, how could she not mention them?

No, you do not have to suck it up when Oprah does something good. Because IMO, it is no longer about her doing something good for the sake of charity, the REAL intention of giving. She makes d@mn sure the world knows how generous she is and IMO, it's more about tooting her own horn than it is about wanting others to follow suit. THAT IS MY OPINION that I have about anyone who brags about their good deeds. No, it doesn't make Oprah an evil person and I am NOT resentful that she's a billionaire. No one gave it to her, she earned it. (Not saying that at you Ellen ;) )

i don't know if anybody cares but Oprah's ratings are plummeting--I casually check the syndicated ratings from Zapit.com from time to time--Just some months ago she had 8 million viewers,and then I noticed about a month ago her viewership dropped way down to 6.3 million!--i just checked tonight and her viewership is down big again to 5.7 million!--People are turning Oprah off in droves--Her show used to be number 3 forever(behind Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy) but now it has sunk to number 8! Even Judge Judy is beating heri think part of the problem is Gayle King--the lowest point of the year was a few weeks ago when Gayle King co-hosted, and the show was about hip hop dancing,the whole hour!--but its worse than that--Her show has just gotten incredibly boring and America seems to have finally lost interest in her

Oprah is a hack. She's an ego on legs. Hate her.

Ditto everything Jeana said. I've watched Oprah from the very beginning until 2 years ago. She is the biggest egomaniac on tv imo and appears to see herself as almost Godlike. I get the impression Oprah thinks that what she says and does is to taken as truth. Actually I hesitate to mention 2 other reasons why I despise her. But I will anyway.:crazy: (I do not mean to offend anyone.....I'm stating my opinion.) Firstly, I think Oprah is one of the most bigoted people in entertainment. Her interview with author James Frey who wrote A MILLION LITTLE PIECES confirmed that for me. She raked him over the coals in front of millions of people. IF a black man or woman had authored that book, she would have shouted from the rooftops how brilliant the book and the author was. Instead she embarrassed the man, on air, for no other reason than to make herself look powerful.
(FWIW-after reading the book and finding out that it was only partically true, I still felt it was one of the best books I've read.)

Hmmm, HOW Did this thread get to be 12 pages and I had never seen it?

Everyone is perfect for a few minutes each day.

Oprah is as good as her guests. IF I donut like her guests I donut watch her.

Dr. OZ is one of my favorites. I have been watching always when he is ON. His information on THE HEART is the BEST to be found. Yesterday saw taped pictures of one of HIS heart operations. He is in fact a medical artist, a star if you will.

IF YOU donut like Oprah - at least pay attention to your heart!

I donut care for the jumping and supposed singing 'stars' that show up, I cannot surf fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto everything Jeana said. I've watched Oprah from the very beginning until 2 years ago. She is the biggest egomaniac on tv imo and appears to see herself as almost Godlike. I get the impression Oprah thinks that what she says and does is to taken as truth. Actually I hesitate to mention 2 other reasons why I despise her. But I will anyway.:crazy: (I do not mean to offend anyone.....I'm stating my opinion.) Firstly, I think Oprah is one of the most bigoted people in entertainment. Her interview with author James Frey who wrote A MILLION LITTLE PIECES confirmed that for me. She raked him over the coals in front of millions of people. IF a black man or woman had authored that book, she would have shouted from the rooftops how brilliant the book and the author was. Instead she embarrassed the man, on air, for no other reason than to make herself look powerful.
(FWIW-after reading the book and finding out that it was only partically true, I still felt it was one of the best books I've read.)

I don't necessarily care one way or the other about Oprah, though I do admire her ability to get past several disadvantages in her personal history and make good.

But I think you are being unfair in your characterization of the James Frey issue. She raked him over the coals after finding out that he conned her and her audience! After she put him on her show, and recommended that people read the book. (Which, whether you like her or not, drives book sales.) What would you have her do after finding out that so much of that book was fraudulent?

As far as your "what she would do if it was a black author," I'd ask for some kind of proof to back up this statement, otherwise you're just projecting your feelings into the situation, IMO.

I don't really care about Oprah one way or another - don't watch her or read her magazine or follow her much. But I too was appalled at how she handled the Frey situation.

Anyone with half a brain who read A Million Little Pieces would have known, IMHO, that some of that stuff was exaggerated. That's the nature of a book like that and the nature of many biographies.

For reasons unknown to me, Frey became America's whipping boy when some of that stuff turned out not to be 100% true. I was dumbfounded that the average reader didn't know this all along on some level.

I thought for Oprah to go on national TV and say that she believed that book hook, line and sinker was tantamount to her going on national TV and saying she's missing some important brain cells.

Even the forward says it's BASED on actual events. And so it is. I mean take someone like Dave Sedaris - greatest comedy writer alive - a lot of his stuff is hugely autobiographical, but does he stretch and twist and exaggerate in the name of getting more laughs. Absolutely. Just as Frey stretched and twisted and exaggerated in the name of showing how gruesome the disease of addiction is.

It seems unbelievable to me that some folks believed that, say, a bigtime treatment center would allow someone to undergo major dental surgery without anesthesia...I want to sell the oceanfront property I own in Kansas to people who bought that!

My theory is that someone got jealous of Frey's success and set out to "get" him - and "get" him they did and Oprah was a pawn in the whole public hanging.

Still, it's all dust in the wind and does not change the fact that A Million Little Pieces is one powerful work about one man's struggle with the disease of addiction.

Oprah didn't rip on Frey just to rip on Frey. She didn't even rip on him because his book contained so many lies.

She ripped on him because when he was on her show and talked about his book, he lied. He lied to her, he lied to her audience... he lied! So when the truth about his lies came to light, she ripped on him in on her show. He lied to her in public, why shouldn't she call him on it in public?

He used her pull, her recommendation, her reputation to sell his books. To keep her credibility, she had to call him on it!

Oprah didn't rip on Frey just to rip on Frey. She didn't even rip on him because his book contained so many lies.

She ripped on him because when he was on her show and talked about his book, he lied. He lied to her, he lied to her audience... he lied! So when the truth about his lies came to light, she ripped on him in on her show. He lied to her in public, why shouldn't she call him on it in public?

He used her pull, her recommendation, her reputation to sell his books. To keep her credibility, she had to call him on it!

She also told him back stage that it was "just business", so I know what kind of asshat Oprah Winfrey is.

i don't know if anybody cares but Oprah's ratings are plummeting--I casually check the syndicated ratings from Zapit.com from time to time--Just some months ago she had 8 million viewers,and then I noticed about a month ago her viewership dropped way down to 6.3 million!--i just checked tonight and her viewership is down big again to 5.7 million!--People are turning Oprah off in droves--Her show used to be number 3 forever(behind Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy) but now it has sunk to number 8! Even Judge Judy is beating heri think part of the problem is Gayle King--the lowest point of the year was a few weeks ago when Gayle King co-hosted, and the show was about hip hop dancing,the whole hour!--but its worse than that--Her show has just gotten incredibly boring and America seems to have finally lost interest in her

Peter, you do realize that her season ended in May or June and has been repeats all summer, don't you? Ratings typically drop once reruns start.

The ratings are down because it's summer and the shows are repeats. This happens every summer.

I thought today was a new show, about 2 year mark for Katrina???

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
111coffeequeen111
Back