Is Oprah being unfair??

She also told him back stage that it was "just business", so I know what kind of asshat Oprah Winfrey is.
Paladin,
Thanks for posting that. I've been looking for it all morning. I knew I'd read it somewhere.

I don't necessarily care one way or the other about Oprah, though I do admire her ability to get past several disadvantages in her personal history and make good.

But I think you are being unfair in your characterization of the James Frey issue. She raked him over the coals after finding out that he conned her and her audience! After she put him on her show, and recommended that people read the book. (Which, whether you like her or not, drives book sales.) What would you have her do after finding out that so much of that book was fraudulent?

As far as your "what she would do if it was a black author," I'd ask for some kind of proof to back up this statement, otherwise you're just projecting your feelings into the situation, IMO.

Frey appeared on Oprah, Jan. 26, 2006. Here's a link to the interview Oprah conducted with LKL (the one she conducted after Frey's first interview on her show.) http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0601/26/lkl.01.html

Oprah initially told L King that she still liked the book. THEN she decided and admitted to having a come to reality moment AFTER her readers and followers didn't like the fact that she was standing behind Frey's not 100% true biography.

Oprah could have handled Frey differently than she did. She had him on her show to 'show his azz up' and to cover her own, IMO.

And THAT has nothing to do with my personal thoughts or beliefs.:cool:

Oprah didn't rip on Frey just to rip on Frey. She didn't even rip on him because his book contained so many lies.

She ripped on him because when he was on her show and talked about his book, he lied. He lied to her, he lied to her audience... he lied! So when the truth about his lies came to light, she ripped on him in on her show. He lied to her in public, why shouldn't she call him on it in public?

He used her pull, her recommendation, her reputation to sell his books. To keep her credibility, she had to call him on it!

Not to be argumentative, but not hardly. Oprah told him it was "just business".

ETA: Oops, just now saw where Paladin covered that already.

I thought today was a new show, about 2 year mark for Katrina???

Her new season doesn't start til Sept. something. I've seen a show that Anderson Cooper (love) did, I wonder if it's a repeat of that are a completely new one or if it's the old one but been re-edited for the 2 year anniversary?

I stopped watching Oprah about 4 years ago - especially after she got her magazine - which should have been called "I Love ME!"

Oprah has gotten a little too self-involved for my viewing pleasure. Too much of the show is now
"let me tell you about me - here's what I did - I found - I use - I read - I learned - I think - I recommend" et al
She is now in the career launching business and PR providing business - when she isn't telling the world what HER judgment and opinion of someone or something is. She used to allow the story to tell itself - now she IS the story - it's no longer about the story, but her part in the story. Bore ME!

I already KNOW the Oprah story and since it is nothing like MY life - then or now, her opinions do not carry much weight with me. She forces HER views on her audience and I don't need to be told what to think, believe or buy - by Oprah or a Preacher or a "Man". I don't doubt she is a charitable woman and does "good works" but her TV show (and Dr Phil's) leave me cold.

My Opinion

She's sure pulling out all the stops for Barak Obama (who I have NOTHING against btw), and making d@mn sure everyone knows who she's endorsing.

She also told him back stage that it was "just business", so I know what kind of asshat Oprah Winfrey is.

Not to be argumentative, but not hardly. Oprah told him it was "just business".

ETA: Oops, just now saw where Paladin covered that already.

Well, of course it was just business! What else would it be?? :confused:

I stopped watching Oprah about 4 years ago - especially after she got her magazine - which should have been called "I Love ME!"

Oprah has gotten a little too self-involved for my viewing pleasure. Too much of the show is now
"let me tell you about me - here's what I did - I found - I use - I read - I learned - I think - I recommend" et al
She is now in the career launching business and PR providing business - when she isn't telling the world what HER judgment and opinion of someone or something is. She used to allow the story to tell itself - now she IS the story - it's no longer about the story, but her part in the story. Bore ME!

I already KNOW the Oprah story and since it is nothing like MY life - then or now, her opinions do not carry much weight with me. She forces HER views on her audience and I don't need to be told what to think, believe or buy - by Oprah or a Preacher or a "Man". I don't doubt she is a charitable woman and does "good works" but her TV show (and Dr Phil's) leave me cold.

My Opinion

I agree, esp about the launching careers. I just wish Dr. Phil's wasn't one she foisted upon us.

That first line made me LOL

Agreed. And, by the same token, if Oprah doesn't like rap, she shouldn't listen to it. But, if she's going to use her forum to speak out about it, she should at least listen to what they have to say.

Oprah doesn't like rap because of what most of it is about, gangs, dog fighting, gambling, street life. People don't have to live like that they choose to and that is her point, she wants better for her race. As a Hispanic person I feel the same way, get our young people educated and through college and then they can buy and sell guys who were prejudice or put us down.

i don't know if anybody cares but Oprah's ratings are plummeting--I casually check the syndicated ratings from Zapit.com from time to time--Just some months ago she had 8 million viewers,and then I noticed about a month ago her viewership dropped way down to 6.3 million!--i just checked tonight and her viewership is down big again to 5.7 million!--People are turning Oprah off in droves--Her show used to be number 3 forever(behind Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy) but now it has sunk to number 8! Even Judge Judy is beating heri think part of the problem is Gayle King--the lowest point of the year was a few weeks ago when Gayle King co-hosted, and the show was about hip hop dancing,the whole hour!--but its worse than that--Her show has just gotten incredibly boring and America seems to have finally lost interest in her

She shuts down for the summer Peter. It's been all reruns the last month or so. Maybe that's why. She's back Sept 10th for a new season.

Oprah doesn't like rap because of what most of it is about, gangs, dog fighting, gambling, street life. People don't have to live like that they choose to and that is her point, she wants better for her race. As a Hispanic person I feel the same way, get our young people educated and through college and then they can buy and sell guys who were prejudice or put us down.

Perhaps she should start with the rappers who call African American women things far worse than anything Don Imus said. In my opinion, she's self-serving, full of herself and has an ego that's beyond out of control.

Ok I dislike Oprah's show but personally really like her. I have met her several times and did not even know it at the time. Harpo Studios is down the street from the place where I eat breakfast and lunch about 75% of the time when I am in Chicago working. I won't say the name of the restaurant but if you google breakfast queen you can easily find it. I was sitting one day with some friends and eating breakfast about 6 am and this African American lady sits down at the next table over and we were talking about men ( Being single in the City etc and basically slamming men as most of us girls do when they are not around) and she chimed in a few times. But nothing major. Anyways we saw her probably 6 or seven times had polite chit chat - How are you etc? and then finally one day the hostess says you know who that is right. Of course we did not. It was Oprah. She had no makeup on and the 6 or 7 times we saw she was wearing a track suit but not made up or anything. I can tell you without makeup it is waaaaayyy different look. Now I am not saying I am her new best friend or anything but she seemed very down to earth and not like a A-hole celebrity like some I have met. She was not traveling with an entourage opr anything and was actually eating in small greek family diner by herself. I can appreciate a real person like that.

All-powerful Oprah Winfrey wants guests for her big Barack Obama fundraiser to stay at a tony resort -- and she may have leaned on a wedding party there to give up rooms for her.

Page Six reports that O wanted out-of-towners for the big Sept. 8 benefit to stay at the San Ysidro Ranch, but it was booked for a wedding. "Oprah's people have been calling the bride to either move or vacate some of the rooms to accommodate her guest list," says a Post source. "The bride, an attorney, is not budging."

Winfrey's reps and the manager of the ranch, Marco Perry, deny that there were any strong-arm tactics used, but says, "The wedding party did cancel a few rooms -- but we didn't charge a cancellation fee because there was such a demand for the rooms that weekend." George Clooney, Beyonce, and Jamie Foxx will be showing up.

http://www.tmz.com/page/5/

Omg, John travolta cute, you must be joking lol...snip...
He too expected his wife to give birth without pain control and without making noise.....any man who expects that is a complete moron in my book.....

LOL...sorry this is off topic, but I just read this tread for the first time. I wonder if John Travolta expected his wife to conceive in the same matter as she was to give birth???:waitasec: :blushing: (without making noise)

PS: Oprah is Oprah's #1 fan

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back