Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for your loss. Just out of curiosity have you posted any of his cases?

Sadly he passed a decade ago. He was an amazing man and a highly respected detective. I have known a lot of cops and none took the job too heart like he did. He never got hardened and cared deeply about the victims and their families.

Even now, he and his cases are talked about around the office. He handled them with an incredible fortitude and professionalism. His sense of humor and practical jokes are legendary, as was his compassion. He truly was one of the greats in the department.

Sorry to have rambled off topic. It would have been his birthday this past week and has been on my mind even more. Love and miss you dad.

Aw, he sounds like a great man. I respect people like him so much, they keep us safe. Not to mention what a heavy load to take on and carry around, not an easy job IMO.

It's amazing that some people don't get jaded when they see the true evils of the world. My family member who had to deal with and interview/analyze scummy sex offenders and murderers never took it home with him and always stayed a laid back, mellow person. He also saw what true evil is capable of and how disturbing humans can be and I'll always hold the men (and women) who deal with and fight the scary people in high respect.

I hope your week wasn't too rough, glad you shared about your dad, sounds like a hero :)

An article today, says Parkville instead of Parkhill though. Interesting quote from CH, sad too:

“We were doing the garage sale and two of the grandchildren came over. Alvin very quickly closed the doors to the garage. It was more important for him to go play in the playground than do the garage sale and that’s who Alvin was with the grandchildren… When those grand-babies came over the both of them just lit up.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/1585588/friends-of-alvin-and-kathy-liknes-gather-for-memorial/

I was surprised to hear they were using the garage for the sale. I had assumed it was only in the house for some reason.

ETA - I also didn't know CH was there that day during the sale. I'm sure it was posted on here before or mentioned in MSM I think, so I must've just forgot. They also took video that day, I bet that video must've went to LE.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1585588/friends-of-alvin-and-kathy-liknes-gather-for-memorial/

An interview with CH on the deck of the L home. She reminisces about the couple and some video is shared.

( was the house not sold, and supposed to be turned over in July?)

I wonder if the family bought the house back. Also interesting is that they were having a garage sale along with the estate sale so it was more obvious of a sale with the garage open as well as entry into the house. The photos of the interior garage did appear to be quite bare. I wonder if tables were set up on the driveway as well. Just thinking out loud...

ETA... Now that I have watched the broadcast I wonder if the video of little Nathan is from a year prior. He looks much younger than his more current photos. Maybe CH was referring to a garage sale done last year and the editing is throwing us off?

I wonder if the family bought the house back. Also interesting is that they were having a garage sale along with the estate sale so it was more obvious of a sale with the garage open as well as entry into the house. The photos of the interior garage did appear to be quite bare. I wonder if tables were set up on the driveway as well. Just thinking out loud...

ETA... Now that I have watched the broadcast I wonder if the video of little Nathan is from a year prior. He looks much younger than his more current photos. Maybe CH was referring to a garage sale done last year and the editing is throwing us off?

When they show the video footage of them (CH and KL) at the ice cream truck, they say 'she comes to life in this video taken the last day she was seen alive', not sure about the NO video though, he does look younger (so crushing to watch my eyes water up :()

But very hard to tell about the garage sale CH mentions, if it was current or in the past like you say.

I was surprised to hear they were using the garage for the sale. I had assumed it was only in the house for some reason.

ETA - I also didn't know CH was there that day during the sale. I'm sure it was posted on here before or mentioned in MSM I think, so I must've just forgot. They also took video that day, I bet that video must've went to LE.

CH was KL's Canmore friend, and the owner of the cupcake/candle holder ornament that ended up on the lawn as a memorial.

An article today, says Parkville instead of Parkhill though. Interesting quote from CH, sad too:

“We were doing the garage sale and two of the grandchildren came over. Alvin very quickly closed the doors to the garage. It was more important for him to go play in the playground than do the garage sale and that’s who Alvin was with the grandchildren… When those grand-babies came over the both of them just lit up.”

So there is a back deck, and likely double doors or a sliding door that could have allowed entry from obstructed back side of the home.
Remember the back backed onto an alleyway and the small park? (no houses).

When they show the video footage of them (CH and KL) at the ice cream truck, they say 'she comes to life in this video taken the last day she was seen alive', not sure about the NO video though, he does look younger (so crushing to watch my eyes water up :()

But very hard to tell about the garage sale CH mentions, if it was current or in the past like you say.

It makes sense to me that AL would have tools and garden equipment, lawnmower, etc, maybe a snowblower, that he would be selling from the garage. They were selling "everything" and wouldn't need them in Mexico.

So there is a back deck, and likely double doors or a sliding door that could have allowed entry from obstructed back side of the home.
Remember the back backed onto an alleyway and the small park? (no houses).

Good observation. Definitely could've been an entry point.

Here is an article posted in the Herald. I wonder if the memorial tomorrow will include a media presence. Does it seem like the community is invited?
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...ain+grandparents+memorial/10240003/story.html

Not sure if it's an open memorial for the public, or not. I almost think they'd mention if it was wouldn't they?

Very nice article. It's quite true what the minister said, how a community needs to cope and how the rest of us by hearing this start to question our own mortality and "As a parent, you start to think about your own children, you start to think about your own parents. We start to think about ourselves and those we love and care for.”

Ain't that the truth.

Good observation. Definitely could've been an entry point.

Also an excellent exit point. I wonder if DG could back his truck up to the edge of the deck railing, where he could have sort of hung the victims face down bent over the railings, jumped into the back of the truck and pull them in to the box? That would take care of him having to hoist them up from the ground into the box. He could have used a comforter or chair to drag or roll them onto the deck. This would have been infinitely easier on him that way. Just a thought.

ETA... Now that I have watched the broadcast I wonder if the video of little Nathan is from a year prior. He looks much younger than his more current photos. Maybe CH was referring to a garage sale done last year and the editing is throwing us off?[/QUOTE]

I found the video a bit odd, in that the footage of Nathan is not recent, but matches other video posted in MSM of him on his Stryder bike. Kids generally ride this type of bike even before learning to ride a 2 wheeler, with or without training wheels, typically between 2-4 years of age. The video of KL and CH is grainy and of very poor quality, (given the techy Iphones that everyone has these days). The dialogue leads us to believe that the video is recent. Neither clips has a 'recent' feel, to me. IMO.

Another curious question... who does the big yellow retriever belong to that is in the clip of the women and the DickiDee ice cream truck? Did the Likneses have a dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lfoskay