Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is definitely a possibility! I remember the kijiji ads started beginning of June...and more added through-out June until that final weekend sale....so yes! That could be it! :)

Right...& I found that odd too...way back when this was first being discussed...beginning of Aug I think?
The family...I couldn't see 'inviting' people in there....I just couldn't...
On the other hand...I found it rather creepy that some stranger felt they could show someone around in another person's house....as I said earlier...especially considering the circumstances....JMOO
Its even creepier that the neighbor actually had the audacity to go in after being invited by someone who had no authority to do so.

some reason I can't post.

Everybody is correct in the 2 v. 3 murders for the area, my bad.

No one here has said the police are perfect. I've said repeatedly I am critical of police.

But I am not blanket critical, I am critical when it's necessary. For example, I am very critical of the police work in the Laura Babcock and Wayne Millard investigations. It looks as if they had investigated better, Tim Bosma might still be alive and Wayne Millard too. We need answers as to what happened and then action.

I am not, however, critical of the Hamilton police investigation of Tim Bosma's murder because I see nothing to be critical of.

When the police screw up, make major mistakes, are incompetent, I am happy to shout it from the rooftops. And, honestly, if they have the wrong guy in jail, have told the public the mystery's solved and let the real murderer go, they have made just about the worst mistakes a police force can make. That is completely incompetent

It's not just "I had a bad day" stuff. Or they did the best they could at the time. It's mistake piled upon mistake piled upon mistake. It means the chacks and balances in the system were ignored -- repeatedly. Heads should roll.

But constantly bringing up the worst miscarriages of justice in Canadian history, when there's no indication the police have done anything wrong -- as there is not in the Liknes case -- is crying wolf. And crying wolf has consequences too.

You make some good points ABro...I'm not sure why you've chosen to highlight a part of my quote?

Please let it go on the fundraising issue.

Unless you can link to MSM that there is something improper with the fundraising, it's time to move on and leave the friend alone.

Also, if ******* come up in a link that means the link is not allowed here.

Thank you

Unless you can link to MSM that there is something improper with the fundraising, it's time to move on and leave the friend alone.

Thank you

Sorry my fault, I accidentally opened the can of worms forgetting how controversial the subject gets! I should've known better to make a 'tacky' comment.

It seems to me that *every* time i post a link, those ***** come up?? <confused>

Thank you

I think it is amazing how LE used to solve crimes 'in the olden days', absolutely amazing, and it leads me to wonder, are they now as good as they used to be?? I think they still need to wear their sleuthing hats, and use the new technologies for backing up their theories. It is really amazing, some of those old cases, how much dirt LE was actually able to dig up on even seemingly hopeless cases, to find their perps. And it all makes sense. For me, (and this is not directed at you Krystine, or anyone for that matter), I'm just not feeling the love for the conclusions LE has come to on this case, and I believe I am entitled to also have an opinion, like everyone else.

You make a very good point about crime solving in the past. I also suspect there was a whole lot of playing hunches and intuition involved in bringing people to justice 'way back in the day.

Re: your statement "This guy might have fooled you at the bar...but I doubt he would have fooled me". I'm not sure what to make of that statement. What do you mean?

Yes, that could be possible.. but you would hope they might spend that $20 to then repaint the wall if that were the case?

.... Re: comment about "cleaning on the wall" in the Parkhill home - I wonder if there was staining on the wall that was so bad that it actually had to be scoured off? IOW, maybe a better way to describe it would have been to say "scouring on the walls"?

Perhaps I'm just not understanding/not getting it..
If WP had sold off all of its assets a few years ago, then wouldn't that presumably be the several gas well sites they owned? if so, then the gas well sites would be now (and for the past 7 years) in the purchaser's name, and no longer in WP's name, correct? And so if that land was in another company's name, then why would the County be coming after WP for property tax arrears? Wouldn't it be the other company who would now owe all that money to the County?

I just thought of a good way to explain what became of Winter Pet; Winter Pet was merely a storefront since 2007 when another entity bought out it's assets,, the secretary thru accountants got to keep their jobs but they were no more a position of power than a barista in a Starbux. Likely there was an agreement that it would cease to exist in June of 2014 (which would explain how AL knew when to sell his house in December). I could post a link but won't on the whom's and who's of who now own the assets but it isn't relevant only in such that the address for the numbered company was once in the building space of WinPet and the company there now is also part of the collective entity who is part of the numbered company.

2.5MMcf/d is equal to about 1,500 barrels of oil per day. The assets assumed in 2007 by the numbered entity are about 80 well sites. The royalties to Alberta off these well's would be about $10,000 per day, which makes that back tax of $800,000 trivial.

How this all relates to a murder is simple,,

it is the common theme throughout, no matter what side of the fence you post from.

Deceit.

I can't be sure, but I think the poster is referring to Dellen Millard, in the Tim Bosma case? I don't know who JM is.

Maybe the new poster was responding in the wrong thread. It happens from time to time.

Yes, who knows really! Blue Amethyst said it was LE with their silent flashing lights on inside the truck (not outside/on top). Could've very well been a sneak up approach to criminal activity.

Sorry LaLa, I did say that about the lights but not that it was LE. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions about the black SUV's....one of you is right, I just don't know which one.

I think it is amazing how LE used to solve crimes 'in the olden days', absolutely amazing, and it leads me to wonder, are they now as good as they used to be?? I think they still need to wear their sleuthing hats, and use the new technologies for backing up their theories. It is really amazing, some of those old cases, how much dirt LE was actually able to dig up on even seemingly hopeless cases, to find their perps. And it all makes sense. For me, (and this is not directed at you Krystine, or anyone for that matter), I'm just not feeling the love for the conclusions LE has come to on this case, and I believe I am entitled to also have an opinion, like everyone else.
My dad would say that they were better detectives back in his time. They didn't have anything but good old fashioned police work to rely on. They had sharper instincts and had to work harder at getting witnesses and confessions. Of course they had 'other' tools at their disposal like intimidation and playing hard and fast with some rules. The accused's rights have become so strict, that the 'old way' wouldn't fly in court nowadays. I think a lot of defectives feel like their hands are completely tied with respect to doing things the way they used too and that is why they have to rely on science to make their case. While those tactics may not hold up to the legal standards today, they sure got the job done in their time.

Sorry LaLa, I did say that about the lights but not that it was LE. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions about the black SUV's....one of you is right, I just don't know which one.

Oops sorry Blue, didn't mean to misquote or misconstrue your words/post. I thought it was LE SUVs. Bad me.

I have a feeling that I would still agree with your dad, even if I knew all of the things he knows about the past ways. But then I feel that way about a lot of things nowadays in comparison to 'the olden days', and perhaps it is because I'm that much older. I'm not privvy to all of the tactics which LE used to be able to use, but if they aren't killing anyone and it's getting a *real* confession, then it's too bad those things can no longer be done. Just doesn't seem fair. So many rights nowadays. I'll bet your dad has some VERY interesting stories!

My dad would say that they were better detectives back in his time. They didn't have anything but good old fashioned police work to rely on. They had sharper instincts and had to work harder at getting witnesses and confessions. Of course they had 'other' tools at their disposal like intimidation and playing hard and fast with some rules. The accused's rights have become so strict, that the 'old way' wouldn't fly in court nowadays. I think a lot of defectives feel like their hands are completely tied with respect to doing things the way they used too and that is why they have to rely on science to make their case. While those tactics may not hold up to the legal standards today, they sure got the job done in their time.

I have a feeling that I would still agree with your dad, even if I knew all of the things he knows about the past ways. But then I feel that way about a lot of things nowadays in comparison to 'the olden days', and perhaps it is because I'm that much older. I'm not privvy to all of the tactics which LE used to be able to use, but if they aren't killing anyone and it's getting a *real* confession, then it's too bad those things can no longer be done. Just doesn't seem fair. So many rights nowadays. I'll bet your dad has some VERY interesting stories!
Sadly he passed a decade ago. He was an amazing man and a highly respected detective. I have known a lot of cops and none took the job too heart like he did. He never got hardened and cared deeply about the victims and their families.

Even now, he and his cases are talked about around the office. He handled them with an incredible fortitude and professionalism. His sense of humor and practical jokes are legendary, as was his compassion. He truly was one of the greats in the department.

Sorry to have rambled off topic. It would have been his birthday this past week and has been on my mind even more. Love and miss you dad.

It's where he had property that he sold for $32,000 to prop up a company (Cherchill ??) that then went bankrupt.

Is there a link somewhere that states when this property was sold? I am thinking that it must have been many years ago, as the last time property could be purchased on Vancouver Island in the 30K range was in the '80's. I don't recall how old CL is, but would he have been in high school in the 1980's? (am I allowed to ask that?) Just trying to gel some dates, for no really profound reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiseryMozzary