Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
That means that since the beginning of April, somewhere between 2800 and 10450 passengers from those countries have flown into Dulles airport and ONE of them had Ebola.

But as more people there get infected, chances more people with Ebola come into US go up.

In the standards of care, a person infected with Ebola is infected with Ebola. It can progress rapidly, even after someone seems to have had an " improvement". This is not treating patients equitably, IMO.

I can't argue with that. I don't know if she will go into decline. But right now her condition is "good." Maybe if she starts getting worse, they will transfer her too.

So now nurse number 2s parents that came to Dallas from Ohio have to board another flight?

Well let us hope the leaders in South America have WATCHED what happened in Dallas and SHUT DOWN TRAVEL FROM FOLKS that have been in infected areas!

Does that mean they should be preventing Americans from entering?

I'd like to see a verifiable link that the CDC was present and observed " protocol".. or lack thereof.. I'm NOT sure that the CDC has jurisdiction over what a hospital does unless the hospital ASKS them though.

It's like the FBI being a federal investigative agency. They will step in if a local LE agency asks them to, and they have jurisdiction over some crimes classified as federal offenses, but the FBI does not oversee local or state LE. And in most states, state LE cannot walk in and take over a local LE investigation into a crime..
Trying to put this into a more familiar perspective for WS'ers. :)

Now the CDC say they were talking about monitoring, etc, talking, talking. That they realize now they should have done hands on work there, I assume such as checking the gear and supervising donning gear. But they should have determined right away the gear was insufficient and immediately transferred the patient to another facility, a qualified one.

How did they let personnel treating ebola patients work with other patients? Those in charge of training nurses on gear should be people who have actually treated ebola patients for a good period of time safely. Writing instructions and experience doing it are two different things. Well, I guess we do have a shortage of those with ebola experience, so just transfer them.

MOO. Hmmm.

(KCEN) -- A letter went home to parents of Sparta Elementary School in Belton on Wednesday saying a student was aboard the Frontier Airlines flight that was carrying Ebola-victim Amber Vinson.

The letter read, "This afternoon we were made aware that one of our students traveled on Frontier Airlines Flight #1143 from Cleveland to Dallas on Monday and attended classes on Tuesday and Wednesday."

http://www.kcentv.com/story/2679729...ool-about-student-who-flew-on-frontier-flight

I think because her condition is improved after she got blood transfusion from Dr. Brantly. Maybe they think she is safe and there is no need for her to be transferred. At least right now she appears to be in very good shape.
She might be feeling better and safe, but what about the others that work or need to be in that hospital? I also would like to know why she hasn't been moved.

Man in seat 26D on flight 1143 questioning if nurse Vinson sat near him on plane.

On WFAA Byron Harris reporting.

CDC RECOMMENDS........they are not a police force. JMO

In the standards of care, a person infected with Ebola is infected with Ebola. It can progress rapidly, even after someone seems to have had an " improvement". This is not treating patients equitably, IMO.

Something I've noticed in reading accounts of the care of ebola patients, and it seemed to have happened with Mr. Duncan, is that sometimes they seem to be getting a little better, and then they die.

Cariis: The end stage effects of the ebola virus on the human body are pretty awful. The virus gets into the cells and keeps replicating and replicating until it acutally bursts the cell. It then goes on to the next cell. But it does this so rapidly that there are millions of viruses affecting millions of cells within the body. Basically it liquefies the internal organs, beginning with the lining of the digestive system.

Of course, all of this is very painful, so yes, the patient would be given pain meds to control the pain.

The disease is very quick - people go from initial fever to death in anywhere from 3 - 15 days, with the average being 8 days, as I recall.

I hope this information is not too graphic, but it is what happens.

For excellent detailed information about the ebola virus, a book called "The Hot Zone" can be download onto your PC from Kindle for $4.99. It is written pretty much in laymen's language and is about an outbreak of ebola in research monkeys at Ft. Detrich, Maryland several years ago.

I read this book a very long time ago and it really is worth it to read it. It is frightening, but so is this disease.
There is no sense in hiding or trying to white wash the viciousness of this terrifying disease. The quick pace in which you fall ill and then die is just incredible. There is nothing else like it I know of.

Yikes. I was wary of believing the nurse's union's statements in their entirety because that came across as an attorney preparing for a lawsuit and could be exaggerated. Not that I don't think they have a right to sue if certain things happened, but I just know how those things get hyped. But it does seem like there were some clear opportunities for infection if a second person has it. I can totally believe protocols were changing constantly, but I do believe that was meant to offer better protection has more information became available. Unfortunately it was kind of a crazy situation that probably was not organized due to the novelty of it. It doesn't necessarily mean anyone was just acting with total disregard of safety, but things were probably getting out of hand and people were frazzled and getting mixed instructions.

Are there other diseases which healthcare workers typically worry about contracting? I guess the major infectious diseases are often caught in childhood and so they are immune, or they have been vaccinated. And something like HIV is hard to transmit. But there must be other situations where a hospital faces something somewhat similar. I guess we've just been lucky that a lot of those diseases have been wiped out with vaccines so we don't have smallpox etc. anymore. If we ever had another plague, though, I guess healthcare workers would have to end up sacrificing themselves.

ETA: I still don't view this as a massive scandal or outbreak, though. Hopefully, they were being closely monitored and quickly diagnosed, and haven't spread it to anyone else. While of course I hope that no one catches it, the test is more about keeping it controlled to those immediately in contact by necessity. I hope that the healthcare workers are successfully treated and no other victims arise. And hopefully they learned from these last few weeks how to avoid further nurse infection.

Yes there are many other hospital acquired and community infections that do get transmitted in hospitals such as MRSA. With antibiotics beginning to fail super bug infections are a huge threat. Many hospitals don't screen patients upon admission for MRSA and carriers spread it to medical workers, and visa versa. Routine screening is important so precautions can be taken though precautions should have prevented most of the infections in the first place.

Yes there are many other hospital acquired and community infections that do get transmitted in hospitals such as MRSA. With antibiotics beginning to fail super bug infections are a huge threat. Many hospitals don't screen patients upon admission for MRSA and carriers spread it to medical workers, and visa versa. Routine screening is important so precautions can be taken though precautions should have prevented most of the infections in the first place.

JMO We have gone overboard in the antibiotics prescriptions department. I have had to take them on a few occasions, but I think letting nature take it's course is safe, in many cases where antibiotics are prescribed. JMO JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gknows