Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
What amazes me watching this private plane take this 1 patient away is the total irony that is shown by not making a simple and less costly (both money cost + lives being cost) decision to restrict travel for people traveling from those affected countries.

Instead we continue to risk future incidents and then we will jump through hoops and hire private jets to transfer all the patients around who get sick.

Why not try to nip this in the bud instead. I suppose that makes too much sense.

I dread to see what would happen when our health care systems get overloaded with many ebola patients. I seriously doubt there will be a private jet for everyone.

I get the feeling that many world leaders do feel this could be the cheaper option as things are now. There's more to it because a basic travel ban from those few countries wouldn't seem catastrophic, but certainly any more restrictions than that would be economically devastating. If we ban the planes from those countries, people will just fly out of another airport if they are desperate enough. That could lead to a lot of people traveling and panicking and spreading the illness throughout all the other countries, and then it's economic destruction. How much business do we do with Liberia? I've been wondering. But severely impairing international travel would be really destructive to the economy - particularly in terms of goods, which would be the logical next step if they are being shipped out of those countries with crew members. And so many people would be scrambling to get back home that bad decisions would be made. I think the reason the administration seems reluctant to discuss even a basic ban is because they feel it would get here on a plane from somewhere else eventually, and they don't want to cause more panic. If we all stopped shipping things to Liberia and let it collapse, that could have devastating consequences for everyone.

From the way I am seeing it, the CDC is talking out of both sides of their mouth! Admittedly, they have made many mistakes and are learning as they go. Many of their procedures or protocols are not broken down into specifics.

The self monitoring, low risk does not send a warning that I am in much danger. So why should I consider not flying? After all, the hospital had nurses carrying for Duncan and other patients, it has been stated. How risky is this to those other patients? IMO, this would be an absolute no-brainer to those in charge! How and why did this serious flaw escape notice?

It bothers me that Nurse Vinson is getting such criticism. Was she and her co-workers told no flying directly? These days nothing should be left to be assumed! It must be stated in plain facts. Being she is the second nurse to come down with Ebola, something went wrong at the hospital.

My opinions only!

From the way I am seeing it, the CDC is talking out of both sides of their mouth! Admittedly, they have made many mistakes and are learning as they go. Many of their procedures or protocols are not broken down into specifics.

The self monitoring, low risk does not send a warning that I am in much danger. So why should I consider not flying? After all, the hospital had nurses carrying for Duncan and other patients, it has been stated. How risky is this to those other patients? IMO, this would be an absolute no-brainer to those in charge! How and why did this serious flaw escape notice?

It bothers me that Nurse Vinson is getting such criticism. Was she and her co-workers told no flying directly? These days nothing should be left to be assumed! It must be stated in plain facts. Being she is the second nurse to come down with Ebola, something went wrong at the hospital.

My opinions only!

My opinions only!

I'm with ya 123. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt til I hear more.

There isn't any time for that. Dupont makes some good chemical resistant suits, 3M makes some very good respirators (viruses are on the very very low end of the 3M respirator filter range). Both are in high demand from Joe Schmoe buyers and sales are WAY WAY up (the CDC labs surely use something better but those products are light years ahead of what most hospitals are using).

I read a nurse's comments else where & she said her facility uses sub par gloves that often little holes. She wears two pairs of gloves with two different colors so (hopefully) she can check for holes.

What would be wrong with having malaria?

Not sure but I think it's probably not a good idea to donate blood to someone whose immunity system is down? Really not sure. JMO

IKR? And why he felt it necessary to specify he only "hugged and kissed nurses, and not doctors." Scratches my head

I heard it too, your observation was keen - ie no female docs around!

Heads up.. be prepared to move to a new thread. I will be right back with a link. If you are planning on writing a long post it may be best to wait and post it on the new thread.

Her Ebola is more advanced than the 1st nurse.

TY I said I thought so earlier, but I couldn't defend my suspicion. JMO At least she could walk to the plane, so she was better off than I suspected. JMO

My opinions only!

The self monitoring would not send a message to me that there is low risk. In fact, it states "you could be infected. Please monitor your temperature."

Presumably registered nurses know how to take their own temperatures and don't need a CDC agent to do it for them. HCW were supposed to be monitoring themselves. I'm sure it would have seemed a waste of resources to send a CDC worker to a registered nurse's home to track her temp. Now because of this, that protocol may also have to change.

As to whether or not the nurse was explicitly told not to fly: this nurse has TWO degrees from Kent State. Critical thinking skills should have made it obvious that while you are supposed to monitor your temperature (i.e. you are at risk), you don't fly. But okay, she was asymptomatic. Once Nina became ill, all bets are off. YOU ARE ALSO AT RISK. Then she starts running a fever. Nope. At this point in the scenario I just cannot give her a pass. What registered nurse with 2 college degrees who has taken care of an ebola patient and has learned that a co-worker has contracted the illness AND who has become symptomatic needs to be explicitly told not to board a plane?

I respect your opinion, but try as I might, this is too much of a stretch to not hold her at least partially responsible for putting those passengers at risk.

She did CALL CDC and ask if she could fly and was told yes per CNN. From the beginning of this I felt as sif it was wrong to be bashing her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname