Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I've noticed in reading accounts of the care of ebola patients, and it seemed to have happened with Mr. Duncan, is that sometimes they seem to be getting a little better, and then they die.

I have heard similar from a nurse friend in general about people who are dying. They seem to have a last minute rally - in some cases this enables them to have a few last moments with their family. She said she often knew the end was near when someone who was gravely ill suddenly perked up. She said the sad thing was that often this led the family to believe their relative was undergoing some miraculous recovery, which was not the case at all.

No links for this - just hearsay from a friend

I have a question about the fever "threshold" the media keeps talking about in regards to Amber Vinson. Not everyone's normal temp is 98.6. Sometimes I don't even register 98! I hover between 97.9 and 98.4 mark and not one health care nurse or doctor has ever told me that I am abnormal. My question is ....is the fever threshold the same for everyone? Even at a low grade temp - this woman should have had the sense to not get on that plane, or travel that far away from Dallas. If she survives this, and I hope and pray she does, she should be reprimanded somehow - maybe by taking extra classes in order to keep her nursing license - something! What she did was negligent.

I have a question about the fever "threshold" the media keeps talking about in regards to Amber Vinson. Not everyone's normal temp is 98.6. Sometimes I don't even register 98! I hover between 97.9 and 98.4 mark and not one health care nurse or doctor has ever told me that I am abnormal. My question is ....is the fever threshold the same for everyone? Even at a low grade temp - this woman should have had the sense to not get on that plane!

I agree. I run colder than average. For me 99.5 would definitely be a fever with sluggishness etc.

I have a question about the fever "threshold" the media keeps talking about in regards to Amber Vinson. Not everyone's normal temp is 98.6. Sometimes I don't even register 98! I hover between 97.9 and 98.4 mark and not one health care nurse or doctor has ever told me that I am abnormal. My question is ....is the fever threshold the same for everyone? Even at a low grade temp - this woman should have had the sense to not get on that plane!

Maybe she was nervous about infecting her family and fiancée...so she got out of Dodge. Or maybe she was not aware of the fever. Whatever......now she is on her way to Atlanta. JMO

Maybe she was nervous about infecting her family and fiancée...so she got out of Dodge. Or maybe she was not aware of the fever. Whatever......now she is on her way to Atlanta. JMO

I thought news reports said that she had a temperature prior to boarding the plane?

JMO We have gone overboard in the antibiotics prescriptions department. I have had to take them on a few occasions, but I think letting nature take it's course is safe, in many cases where antibiotics are prescribed. JMO JMO

cady, certainly in the past antibiotics were overused. But nowadays physicians and other healthcare workers are extremely aware of antibiotic resistance and the parameters for prescribing them have become very tight. People can be much more assured nowadays that if a doctor prescribes an antibiotic, there is, indeed, a need for it. "Letting nature take its course" an often result in death! I am particularly thinking of pneumonia, which can become a real killer when someone decides to "ride out a heavy chest cold".

Please don't ever ignore an infection.

Symptoms of infection: Pain, swelling, redness, yellow/green pus or secretions

^^^No vaccine. No transfusion either unless he is some unnamed ebola survivor.

Nurse Pham was given the choice of going to one of the 4 isolation approved hospitals. She chose to stay at her home hospital. This was in one of the news articles, however, I have no idea which one.

I have heard similar from a nurse friend in general about people who are dying. They seem to have a last minute rally - in some cases this enables them to have a few last moments with their family. She said she often knew the end was near when someone who was gravely ill suddenly perked up. She said the sad thing was that often this led the family to believe their relative was undergoing some miraculous recovery, which was not the case at all.

No links for this - just hearsay from a friend

I've seen it happen in my family and to friends. You think the patient is getting better so you take a break to get some sleep or get some food and in that moment, they are gone. There was no reason for Duncan's family to believe he would die because the other cases in the U.S. were recovering.

JMO

cady, certainly in the past antibiotics were overused. But nowadays physicians and other healthcare workers are extremely aware of antibiotic resistance and the parameters for prescribing them have become very tight. People can be much more assured nowadays that if a doctor prescribes an antibiotic, there is, indeed, a need for it. "Letting nature take its course" an often result in death! I am particularly thinking of pneumonia, which can become a real killer when someone decides to "ride out a heavy chest cold".

Please don't ever ignore an infection.

Symptoms of infection: Pain, swelling, redness, yellow/green pus or secretions

I hear you. I have done exactly that.....and I'm a smoker. But I'm also getting up there in the years. I have been fortunate to ride out the bronchitis which ALWAYS happens when I get a cold, but the colds are 3-4 years apart. Next time I will take your advice. TY

Was this Frontier plane just flying back and forth between Cleveland and Dallas or did it fly on to other places? Looking at their route map, it appears that they fly to all but maybe half a dozen states as well as like six foreign countries; all in North America or the Caribbean.

nalyst-says

You know this guy is gonna catch hell from his wife when he gets home tonight!! :crazy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He would be sleeping in the shed if he was my OH. Followed by a full immersion Clorox bath before he was allowed back in the house.

This particular plane flew to Atlanta and Ft. lauderdale and a few other places before it was cleaned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny