Identified! CA - Ludlow, WhtFem UP2517, 17-22, buried, Nov'80 - Pamela Duffey & William Lane *arrest*

I wonder if the below recently solved cold case might be related to this one. The murder victim was also a young woman (age 23). Desert Hot Springs, CA is south west of Ludlow and Twenty Nine Palms, CA.

------------------------------------------

40 Year old DHS Cold Case Murder Solved

January 13, 2012
By Sergeant Scott Brown #1347
Central Homicide Unit

Desert Hot Springs, CA– On January 10, 2012, at 9:30 AM (EST), the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department’s Cold Case Homicide Team arrested a suspect in an unsolved homicide case from 1972. Michael Hayes (63 years old) was arrested for the homicide at his home in Pompano Beach, Florida.

On March 12, 1972, Mary Costa (23 years old), was found deceased off of Cottonwood Road and Avenue 20 in the unincorporated area of Desert Hot Springs.

Costa had been murdered between one and four weeks prior to finding her decomposed body. Costa was a local prostitute who lived and worked in Palm Springs. She was last seen at a bar in the area.

Photo at link of suspect Michael Hayes, 63

Photo at link of Mary Costa, Age 19-20

In 2010, the Cold Case Homicide Team re-opened this investigation. The Cold Case Team re-tested evidence and re-interviewed witnesses in this case. The evidence in the case had degraded after 40 years and no useful information was developed.

Witnesses provided statements that indicated Michael Hayes was the suspect in this case. After the investigation was finished, the case was presented to the Riverside County District Attorney’s office, which filed the case and charged Hayes with murder.

Hayes was 23 years old in 1972.

The Cold Case Team secured an arrest warrant and served it with assistance from the Broward County Sheriff’s Department in Florida.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact Lead Investigator III Brett Seckinger or Lead Investigator III Ed Vargas of the Sheriff’s Central Homicide Unit at (951) 955-2777.

You can also provide an anonymous tip at

www.riversidesheriff.org/tipline.

LINK:

http://www.vote29.com/newmyblog/archives/31549

I have two possibilities- their info is not exactly a match.
1. Sarah Tokier.
Last Seen: in 1977 at age 17 San Bernardino (same general area)
Ht: 5'4, Wt: 110 Hair: Brown (it looks like a lt brown)
Circumstances of disappearance are unknown

2. Sharon Ann Harrer
Last Seen: Nov 1979 Florida. She left with unknown man "Robert Crawford"
Ht: 5'4, Wt: 98. Hair: Blonde (problem: she has a tattoo)

I think Sarah Tokier might be a good possibility, if she had run away with a boyfriend or something and was later killed. There is very little information about her.

Light red/brown/blonde hair. Pierced left ear.

I wonder if there is more info about the hair. It sounds to me that it was brown hair that had been bleached badly. That would mean brown hair, some bleached, and some strands of that coppery "bad bleach job" color. Or, it could mean a dark strawberry blond color. That kind of difference should be easy to distinguish in color pictures.

Pierced left ear. How many women get one side pierced? I think most likely both sides were pierced.

Carl, ... is there any way you might be able to get some image of the mouth? the teeth/smile were so distinctive, they think they could make a match by photos.

"Possible identiifcation by comparison of "smiling photos" (showing teeth). "

I got ahold of a photo of this jane Doe's maxilla and mandible. I put together this portrayal of how her smile might have looked.

e08d596a-7ea2-45a4-a91e-8968e0fa79fe.jpg

Why do they think she was a nurse?

Given the UID's age, maybe what used to be called a "candystriper" - a teen volunteer who was thinking about a nursing career and would follow a nurse around the hospital to see what the job was like; candystripers would deliver magazines, flower bouquets, etc., to individual patients and converse with them...

2. Sharon Ann Harrer

DECA
the UID was skeletal so tat is no issue right?

Tammys hair is described at dark blonde or "dirty blonde" in summer and brown with a reddish tint at other times. Tammy's hair was short, above shoulders but below ears at time of disappearance. from namus

2. Sharon Ann Harrer

DECA
the UID was skeletal so tat is no issue right?

The male is described as having an ankh tattoo, so there must have been some skin. But I don't think that would be enough to rule her out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tiffany1201
Back