IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean to suggest Battaglia knew anything. It's just he seems to be the excuse for considering everything reported in MSM not directly quoted as rumor. AFAWK he has had no contact with any media or officials investigating the case from the time he was arrested.... so we can no longer contribute false information to him.

Oh, I gotcha.
When Battaglia contacted media outlets prior to his arrest, I wonder if he gave a reason why he was certain CJG's death was a suicide.
Did the two ever cross paths?

After JB was arrested, we heard forensics were being done on CJG's computer.

Also, did LE ever look into phone ping records covering the time between 7:45 to 8:00 a.m. or so for the area CJG was found?

So, the meeting between LE and Coroner's Office is scheduled for today, Sunday?

Yes, AFAK, and the community deserves an update whether or not I do! I hope some reporter is lurking outside wherever they are. JMO

Yes, AFAK, and the community deserves an update whether or not I do! I hope some reporter is lurking outside wherever they are. JMO

I didn't realize they'd meet on a Sunday and recall Rudd saying the pathologist was on vacation until Sunday, therefore, the meeting wouldn't take place until sometime during the week.
It surprised me to read the meeting would take place today.
Now, does this mean LE is ready and willing to share the results of the important outstanding tests with the coroner?
Did LE get the tests returned or are the two offices just trying give the appearance of cooperation?

Sources said Lt. Gliniewicz's hand was under his chest in a gun holding position but his gun was found two feet away from his body?

How can his physical actions be explained?
Shoots self in the heart, gun releases from hand and either falls to the side or projects forward two feet*, while arm/hand stays in bent position with hand near to and underneath the chest. What would explain the gun "flying" versus just dropping straight down to the ground?

*No, would have to fly forward more than two feet.
But why would the gun release to the side in any case?

Post 1052 above for reference.

Can you, or someone else, link the source saying that his arm/hand was underneath him but that the gun was found two feet away?
I am trying to keep up with all the news reports, but I must've missed this one!

When I first came to WS, there was a learning curve.
Longtime posters, some who were kind and some not so
much, would rebuke newbies when mistakes were made.

One of the rebukes I remember (not aimed at me necessarily) was in reference to unnamed sources.
Any unnamed source remains rumor (although some rumors have turned out true whether they originated from an unknown insider, a verified poster or media outlet).

The problem is keeping the facts straight which is difficult no matter if there are many or few released (for me anyway)!

No idea but they must know people will be clamoring for answers and I would think Rudd will have to rule on manner of death which will hopefully include a presser. I haven't heard much about searching for the Persons of Interest. With such vague discriptions, At this point, I'm sure they were hoping someone would come forward. Also, another thought with regard to agencies pulling out of the search, I think the thought behind so many agencies leaving the investigation and the statement that they were pulling out of the area because there were no suspect(s) to search for was misinterpreted. Many of those agencies came onto the scene specifically due to the very active manhunt. They needed feet on the ground and eyes in the air because they figured they might have time on their side.Once they determined they could not immediately catch the suspects, the additional manpower was no longer needed. The numbers involved dropped again once they completely raked the area for evidence and even less manpower was needed. Everything was turned over to the Lake CountyTask Force to continue the investigation. This does not mean you continue to need 400 additional bodies and multiple agencies and certainly doesn't imply suicide.

"Sources told Fox News" re: no defensive wounds or struggle. WaPO repeated it. JMO
So, not official because sources, as , usual, are not named and quoted. But it is MSM fodder for conversation,LOL

I might mention that the specific information about defensive wounds came out just before Battaglia was arrested and he was accused of not only threatening Lake County officials but also contacting MSM.

Can you, or someone else, link the source saying that his arm/hand was underneath him but that the gun was found two feet away?
I am trying to keep up with all the news reports, but I must've missed this one!

I just read next to his body. There was no specific measurement that I recall.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ked-outrage-and-a-tears-but-was-it-a-suicide/

This source/article has, "his service weapon next to him."
(long article, scroll down to last section)

I googled and a Fox 32 Chicago link comes up with "his gun about two feet away" but my Norton doesn't want me to click that link.
The heading is, "Unforeseen complications delay Fox Lake officer's death..." (1 day ago)

I'll keep looking for another source as I read "two feet" awhile ago.

No idea but they must know people will be clamoring for answers and I would think Rudd will have to rule on manner of death which will hopefully include a presser. I haven't heard much about searching for the Persons of Interest. With such vague discriptions, At this point, I'm sure they were hoping someone would come forward. Also, another thought with regard to agencies pulling out of the search, I think the thought behind so many agencies leaving the investigation and the statement that they were pulling out of the area because there were no suspect(s) to search for was misinterpreted. Many of those agencies came onto the scene specifically due to the very active manhunt. They needed feet on the ground and eyes in the air because they figured they might have time on their side.Once they determined they could not immediately catch the suspects, the additional manpower was no longer needed. The numbers involved dropped again once they completely raked the area for evidence and even less manpower was needed. Everything was turned over to the Lake CountyTask Force to continue the investigation. This does not mean you continue to need 400 additional bodies and multiple agencies and certainly doesn't imply suicide.

I so agree with everything in this post!!! I remember hearing this when it first happened and I thought to myself how could they find 3 people with no real descriptions?? I also felt that the 3 people would split up and go in separate directions. I felt after about an hour or so that if they had not found them they may never find them without someone talking.

Looking back I feel really naive as should LE to think that the 3 would still be wandering around desperately together as a group for 2 days. Certainly by that point they would simply go back to their lives and try to blend as much as possible. I felt they would be found by someone talking. I never felt they would be found out on the street.

So when I heard about the video I thought they had something but now they don't. But it doesn't mean they never existed. Lots of people exist but aren't found on a camera. And maybe the 3 were never together as a group of 3 until meeting there. So perhaps they can from 3 different directions met there and scattered in 3 different directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first came to WS, there was a learning curve.
Longtime posters, some who were kind and some not so
much, would rebuke newbies when mistakes were made.

One of the rebukes I remember (not aimed at me necessarily) was in reference to unnamed sources.
Any unnamed source remains rumor (although some rumors have turned out true whether they originated from an unknown insider, a verified poster or media outlet).

The problem is keeping the facts straight which is difficult no matter if there are many or few released (for me anyway)!

Agreed. I dwell on possibilities but have to remember how much we actually know. I agree it is possible to have legitamite leaks but then someone is arrested and you find they were sharing misinformation and it reduces the possibiloty of that shred of trith.

Maybe that is what is so bothersome...MSM sources contradicting each other?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ked-outrage-and-a-tears-but-was-it-a-suicide/

This source/article has, "his service weapon next to him."the
(long article, scroll down to last section)

I googled and a Fox 32 Chicago link comes up with "his gun about two feet away" but my Norton doesn't want me to click that link.
The heading is, "Unforeseen complications delay Fox Lake officer's death..." (1 day ago)

I'll keep looking for another source as I read "two feet" awhile ago.
The FOX32 article was linked here a few days ago as noted in Post #995. No one mentioned having computer problems with the link. So, I will post the link here for those who might have missed it the first go-round.

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/21619159-story

“Law enforcement sources have said the fatal shot was fired in a downward motion from the top of Gliniewicz's bullet proof vest. He was found face down and his gun about two feet away. Police have not disclosed if it was the gun used to kill him, saying that's part of the ballistic tests they are still waiting on. They also have not disclosed the caliber of the bullet that was recovered from Gliniewicz’s body.”​

I might mention that the specific information about defensive wounds came out just before Battaglia was arrested and he was accused of not only threatening Lake County officials but also contacting MSM.

I so agree with everything in this post!!! I remember hearing this when it first happened and I thought to myself how could they find 3 people with no real descriptions?? I also felt that the 3 people would split up and go in separate directions. I felt after about an hour or so that if they had not found them they may never find them without someone talking.

Looking back I feel really naive as should LE to think that the 3 would still be wandering around desperately together as a group for 2 days. Certainly by that point they would simply go back to their lives and try to blend as much as possible. I felt they would be found by someone talking. I never felt they would be found out on the street.

So when I heard about the video I thought they had something but now they don't. But it doesn't mean they never existed. Lots of people exist but aren't found on a camera. And maybe the 3 were never together as a group of 3 until meeting there. So perhaps they can from 3 different directions met there and scattered in 3 different directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had been listening to the scanner that day/evening but don't want to post my observation here as I don't think I can but it relates to who/ what police were looking for.

Maybe that is what is so bothersome...MSM sources contradicting each other?

They typically do, in all cases I have followed. The Mayor here was referred to as an "official" which he is but he is not an official on the task force! Now where did he get HIS information if people on the task force are not leaking????

The FOX32 article was linked here a few days ago as noted in Post #995. No one mentioned having computer problems with the link. So, I will post the link here for those who might have missed it the first go-round.

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/21619159-story

“Law enforcement sources have said the fatal shot was fired in a downward motion from the top of Gliniewicz's bullet proof vest. He was found face down and his gun about two feet away. Police have not disclosed if it was the gun used to kill him, saying that's part of the ballistic tests they are still waiting on. They also have not disclosed the caliber of the bullet that was recovered from Gliniewicz’s body.”​

Thank you, I could kiss you! You rock with the links.
I knew I read "two feet" somewhere or was thinking I may have heard it reported on local news.
For some reason, my Norton doesn't want me to click on Fox 32 links but the other Fox links are approved.

I considered looking back at WS posts, but decided it wasn't worth my while since most of the sources remain unnamed anyway.

Not true.

Battaglia was arrested Sunday September 13th.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...e-police-shooting-threats-20150913-story.html

The information about no defense wounds came out 3 days later on Wednesday, September 16th.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/1...ibility-suicide-in-shooting-death-ill-police/

This is a leakfest! This is why we need a presser. Badly. JMO

Why would there have to be defensive wounds if he was shot?
If someone got their hands on CG's gun, they'd have to be close to him. I can think of other reasons for closeness.

But, if he was shot by a person using another gun, there wouldn't be a struggle.

We have to know the bullet that killed him matches his gun before we can move onto the next step. He may have removed his gun and fired it away from his own body and then was shot by the person he encountered or was after.
Either way, he'd have residue on his own hand because he was able to shoot his gun prior to being hit (if by another gun).

Defense wounds aren't typical in a gun fight.
Unless, like in a bar fight, someone pulls out a gun and fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolibery