GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #2 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish someone would ask how long they haven't been on speaking terms!

I find it a bit odd that he doesn't know what federal jail Rivera is in or why he's there. I don't believe him, but not sure why he wouldn't divulge that info.

I agree. I can't remember the exact way it was phrased, but this along with the part earlier about reporters not being able to see Garcia "for safety reasons" is odd.

Sorry, I can barely hear the questions. Not typing the answers because I feel they may be out of context.

Hopefully, this presser will be linked so we can re-watch.

Documents re. Garcia will be linked on the website (missed which site?)

sorry, i can barely hear the questions. Not typing the answers because i feel they may be out of context.

Hopefully, this presser will be linked so we can re-watch.

Documents re. Garcia will be linked on the website (missed which site?)

d.o.c.

I agree. I can't remember the exact way it was phrased, but this along with the part earlier about reporters not being able to see Garcia "for safety reasons" is odd.

I think LE knows but they are not about to release where he is being held. For good reason, too. They want to keep him safe. He's probably going to be a very important witness.

I find it a bit odd that he doesn't know what federal jail Rivera is in or why he's there. I don't believe him, but not sure why he wouldn't divulge that info.

Only Fed prison near Orlando is Coleman. And according to BOP, theres only one luis rivera at coleman with a release date of 2026

From live press conference today:
http://www.wtxl.com/live/
Reporter: "Do you know where the Adelson’s are?"
TPD Chief: “We’re not on speaking terms.”

From live press conference today:
http://www.wtxl.com/live/
Reporter: "Do you know where the Adelson’s are?"
TPD Chief: “We’re not on speaking terms.”

Wherever they are, I think all have pants full of poop right now knowing that the two murderers are safely tucked away, probably cutting deals for themselves.

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/06/inve...-ex-wifes-family-in-the-murder-of-dan-markel/

Note that the affidavit does not allege that Wendi Adelson had any knowledge or role in the murder of her husband. It is possible that someone close to her arranged for the hit without telling her. The affidavit alleges that “someone” was her brother — who presumably cares a great deal about his sister, understood how upset she was over the divorce litigation, and knew how badly she wanted to relocate from Tallahassee to Miami with her two sons.

That might explain a few things. First, it would explain why Wendi Adelson reacted positively after Garcia was arrested, telling the Tallahassee Democrat, “Although my children will always live with the tremendous loss of their father, my hope is that these new developments will finally bring some closure.” Second, it would explain why Adelson was interrogated for hours after Markel’s murder but never charged; she could have truthfully and convincingly told the police that although she and Markel were locked in an ugly divorce battle at the time of his death, she had no knowledge of or involvement in his murder.

At the time Dan Markel (disclosure: a friend of mine dating back to our college days) was murdered, I flagged the possibility that “[h]is killing had some connection to his acrimonious divorce and ongoing litigation with his ex-wife, Wendi Jill Adelson.” My merely raising this theory generated lots of angry reader mail, including messages from friends of Wendi Adelson who couldn’t imagine her being involved in such a deed. But if these latest allegations are true, then we were both right: Markel’s killing did have a connection to his divorce, but Wendi Adelson didn’t know about it.

Apparently Dan was a tenured professor in the law school and, for whatever reason, the school doesn’t award tenure to partners [e.g., spouses of professors who get hired as accommodations to professors the school is trying to lure or keep]. So [Wendi] had no path toward that goal. In addition, her specialty was human trafficking, a field the law school doesn’t value highly.

☆The pc officer stated reward money had nothing to do with arrest.
☆Investigation focusing in South Florida and Tallehasse...nothing outside the US.
☆Stated CA had a very personal relationship w) Garcia's ex wife
☆Still looking re money as a motivating factor for murder
☆Per presser, not aware that Garcia has participated in other murders
☆Took a while to track down Prius. It changed hands several times
☆CA is not yet at point of being called a suspect

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...e-plot-linked-to-divorce-say-police-1.3612866
rbbm.

Wendi Adelson has not returned phone calls made to her in the past week, but in an email she sent last Friday she stated that she hoped Garcia's arrest "will finally bring some closure" to the case. She did not respond immediately to calls and an email by The AP on Thursday.

Markel and his wife divorced in 2013, but before it was finalized court records show that the two fought over Wendi Adelson's push to move her two small children to South Florida to be closer to her family. At the time of Markel's death the two were battling over money after Adelson contended that Markel did not pay her as much as he was supposed to under their divorce agreement, the records show.

According to court documents, investigators contend that Garcia and another man followed Markel from a nearby gym before he was shot. The police document does not say if someone in the Adelson family arranged the killing. Wendi Adelson now lives in Miami Beach and works for a federal judge.

Getting back to the unsealed affidavit.. I am simply at a loss for why a judge would make the move to unilaterally unseal the probable cause warrant without so much as a courteous 'heads up' to the TPD. At face value it seems like a deliberate attempt to sabotage the entire case and that is beyond alarming.

Obviously, the manpower dedicated to this investigation spans nearly two years involving multiple state and federal agencies. How horrific to have to deal with the public disclosure of documents well in advance of what they anticipated. I imagine it was a devastating blow.

They need to petition the court for a change of venue or request this <modsnip> judge recuse himself. Releasing that affidavit was egregious abuse of judicial discretion. &#8206;

At the heart of the matter?
http://www.wtxl.com/court/police-se...cle_bd5e6396-28c0-11e6-9ce8-b703e919a8d8.html
rbbm.

"Investigators believe motive for this murder stemmed from the desperate desire of the Adelson family to relocate Wendi [Adelson] and the children to South Florida, along with the pending court hearing that might have impacted their access to the grandchildren."

At one point before his death, documents show that Markel had even filed a motion to prevent his ex-mother-in-law from seeing his children, claiming she was talking about his negatively to the children. A court date in that case had not been re-scheduled before Markel was killed.

Getting back to the unsealed affidavit.. I am simply at a loss for why a judge would make the move to unilaterally unseal the probable cause warrant without so much as a courteous 'heads up' to the TPD. At face value it seems like a deliberate attempt to sabotage the entire case and that is beyond alarming.

Obviously, the manpower dedicated to this investigation spans nearly two years involving multiple state and federal agencies. How horrific to have to deal with the public disclosure of documents well in advance of what they anticipated. I imagine it was a devastating blow.

They need to petition the court for a change of venue or request this <modsnip> judge recuse himself. Releasing that affidavit was egregious abuse of judicial discretion. &#8206;

Perhaps a law enforcement trick. They've got all the evidence they can collect, so they arrest Garcia and hope they can get some admissions on tapped phones or others will come forward. After a couple of days, unseal a damning affidavit and see what you get. LE just turning up the heat.

I want to watch & listen again but I got the impression that LE was okay with unsealing the probable cause warrants now. (That was NOT the impression I had before I watched the press conference.) This is FLORIDA where the Sunshine Laws prevail. There is only so long they can keep things sealed, especially something like probable cause warrants after making an arrest and keeping someone incarcerated.

http://www.wtxl.com/court/police-se...cle_bd5e6396-28c0-11e6-9ce8-b703e919a8d8.html

Wow. The family connection goes deeper.

"Police say in the unsealed report that Adelson's brother, Charlie, was in a personal relationship with Katherine Magbanua, the mother of Sigfredo Garcia's two children.

Adelson's brother and Markel did not get along, according to police and the documents also say that Adelson's mother wanted her daughter to coerce Markel into allowing her to move their children to South Florida."

They need to petition the court for a change of venue or request this tyrant judge recuse himself. Releasing that affidavit was egregious abuse of judicial discretion. &#8206;

I suspect it has to do with Florida legislation requiring documents to be released, but I don't know for sure. Makes sense to me the judge/State Attorney feel required to abide by legislation.

<modsnip>
They were unsealed by the same judge who originally sealed them.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

LE was blindsided by the judge. They did not want the information contained in the affidavit made public yet. I don't think this was a LE strategy designed to give the appearance of shock in the hopes folks will start telling what they know, I think they were really shocked & totally unprepared.

Chief DeLeo said he would have preferred the documents not unsealed this soon. Mayor and city commissioner are looking into who requested this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucasmiller