GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #2 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo. WENdi will be arrested soon. But her brother whom probably extra loved her while she was a kid will probably leave her out of it. Jmo

I want to watch & listen again but I got the impression that LE was okay with unsealing the probable cause warrants now. (That was NOT the impression I had before I watched the press conference.) This is FLORIDA where the Sunshine Laws prevail. There is only so long they can keep things sealed, especially something like probable cause warrants after making an arrest and keeping someone incarcerated.

I think they can keep it sealed for at least 30 days post apprehension. Listening to the presser I got the impression it was unanticipated and the chief was as professionally diplomatic as he could be regarding the fact it was released. He noted he would have preferred it remained sealed, attributing it to ''differences of opinion'' when many individuals are involved in one case. He had no explanation for why it was unsealed or why his department had no prior knowledge.

The city of Tallahassee, its police department and the State Attorney's Office were not on the same page when it came to unsealing arrest documents in the murder of Dan Markel this morning.

"We don't know who requested this action, nor were we provided the opportunity to argue against the release of the records," said City Manager Rick Fernandez in an email this morning to the City Commission, mayor and city leaders.

The email obtained by the Democrat goes on to call the action "highly unusual on all fronts. We will keep you informed as we get more information."

Fernandez said the city and TPD didn't know beforehand the document was going to be unsealed. Fernandez said he found out by reading Tallahassee Democrat news reports. He then called TPD Chief Michael DeLeo, who by that time had been informed the document was released.

The order to lift the seal was filed at 7:59 a.m. by Chief Circuit Judge Jonathan Sjostrom. Garcia appeared before a judge 36 minutes later. The order gave no details as to why the document was unsealed.

Georgia Cappleman, the chief assistant State Attorney, said she believed the judge unsealed the documents "on his own motion."

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...over-unsealed-documents-markel-case/85291512/

LE was blindsided by the judge. They did not want the information contained in the affidavit made public yet. I don't think this was a LE strategy designed to give the appearance of shock in the hopes folks will start telling what they know, I think they were really shocked & totally unprepared.

LE isn't going to publicly say we are happy about the release because we're listening to the cell phones of other suspects. Of course they're blindsided (wink, wink).

Hats off to the investigators on this case. Lots of long hours uncovering obscure relationships and looking at bus videos.

In my state,sua sponte unsealing would be highly unusual this early. Not sure about FL.

Getting back to the unsealed affidavit.. I am simply at a loss for why a judge would make the move to unilaterally unseal the probable cause warrant without so much as a courteous 'heads up' to the TPD. At face value it seems like a deliberate attempt to sabotage the entire case and that is beyond alarming.

Obviously, the manpower dedicated to this investigation spans nearly two years involving multiple state and federal agencies. How horrific to have to deal with the public disclosure of documents well in advance of what they anticipated. I imagine it was a devastating blow.

They need to petition the court for a change of venue or request this <modsnip> judge recuse himself. Releasing that affidavit was egregious abuse of judicial discretion. &#8206;

They brought Sigfredo in for questioning 5/24. That means they're done. Unsealing is a minor issue.

They brought Sigfredo in for questioning 5/24. That means they're done. Unsealing is a minor issue.

How so? Having enough evidence to arrest one man doesn't mean they want the public aware of the details in an ongoing investigation where more arrests are expected. There's a reason they sealed the affidavit to start with, imho.

Chief DeLeo also said that they would have preferred the documents had NOT been unsealed this soon.

http://www.wtxl.com/court/police-se...cle_bd5e6396-28c0-11e6-9ce8-b703e919a8d8.html
June 2, 2016
TALLAHASSEE, FL (WTXL) - The probable cause document has officially been released in the case of Sigfredo Garcia, the man charged in the murder of Dan Markel.
The documents had previously been sealed by a judge, but were unsealed and released Thursday morning.
Investigators note in the document they believe Garcia had an accomplice in the murder, Luis Rivera. The two are accused of traveling from Miami to Tallahassee and shooting Dan Markel in his driveway.
At a Thursday press conference, Tallahassee Police said Rivera is in federal custody for charges unrelated to the Markel investigation.
Chief DeLeo also said that they would have preferred the documents had not been unsealed this soon. City Manager Rick Fernandez sent an email Thursday morning to the Mayor and City Commissioners saying they were looking into who requested the documents be unsealed.

I'm pretty stunned. I suspected the divorce had something to do with it but I guess I wasn't expecting the connection to be the brother. The whole A family must be freaking out right now. Still not entirely convinced of WA's involvement but her social media lockdown is a little strange given the timing, imo.

Chief DeLeo also said that they would have preferred the documents had NOT been unsealed this soon.

http://www.wtxl.com/court/police-se...cle_bd5e6396-28c0-11e6-9ce8-b703e919a8d8.html
June 2, 2016
TALLAHASSEE, FL (WTXL) - The probable cause document has officially been released in the case of Sigfredo Garcia, the man charged in the murder of Dan Markel.
The documents had previously been sealed by a judge, but were unsealed and released Thursday morning.
Investigators note in the document they believe Garcia had an accomplice in the murder, Luis Rivera. The two are accused of traveling from Miami to Tallahassee and shooting Dan Markel in his driveway.
At a Thursday press conference, Tallahassee Police said Rivera is in federal custody for charges unrelated to the Markel investigation.
Chief DeLeo also said that they would have preferred the documents had not been unsealed this soon. City Manager Rick Fernandez sent an email Thursday morning to the Mayor and City Commissioners saying they were looking into who requested the documents be unsealed.

But he also said he didn't know what federal jail near Orlando Rivera is in (and someone here then posted there's only one) and didn't know why he was there. Highly unlikely.

Admin Note

6 degrees of separation or not -

We are NOT going to make the wild stretch and permit people to insinuate that ANY judge made the decision to unseal the probable cause warrant for ANY reason than an ethical one that complies with the very liberal "public's right to know" Sunshine Laws. Those are very unique to most people who are not familiar with Florida cases. Very little stays sealed for long in Florida. That's a fact.

Don't even go there. It's too far of a stretch right now. I've already <snipped> and removed several posts of the sort so please don't post like that again. Thanks.

Re. sleuthing others - I am going to review the recently released probably cause warrants again and speak with Tricia. I will update as to who is permitted to be sleuthed. Right now, the only ones who are open for sleuthing are the two men who have been arrested - Sigfredo Garcia and Luis Rivera And they both have very common Hispanic surnames so make 100% sure you have the correct ones before linking

I'm pretty stunned. I suspected the divorce had something to do with it but I guess I wasn't expecting the connection to be the brother. The whole A family must be freaking out right now. Still not entirely convinced of WA's involvement but her social media lockdown is a little strange given the timing, imo.

I'm bringing over my theory I posted at the very end of the last thread:

Here's a scenario for motive:

In recent years, WA's parents had begun gifting money to her, and perhaps her siblings. This very well may have been completely above board, and maybe for tax benefits for the aging parents, and helping WA save up some money for when she finally left the marriage she'd begun to abhor. Dan didn't know about this gifting and the accounts she kept the money in. When it came time to figure out child support, she left out the fact that she had all this money. So the initial calculations had him paying her $*advertiser censored* in child support. BUT, Dan's no dum-dum and hired a forensic accountant who found out about all the money. So now, another hearing is coming up, and maybe SHE will end up having to pay HIM child support, or get less money, or break even....whatever. Whole family is livid that this man will be getting his hands on "their" money. And perhaps opening their practice up to scrutiny they don't want to deal with. The custody/alienation issues were enough to make things really stressful, contentious, but this money issue was the last straw and pushed them over the edge.

This is all just a theory and just my opinion!

Admin Note

6 degrees of separation or not -

We are NOT going to make the wild stretch and permit people to insinuate that ANY judge made the decision to unseal the probable cause warrant for ANY reason than an ethical one that complies with the very liberal "public's right to know" Sunshine Laws. Those are very unique to most people who are not familiar with Florida cases. Very little stays sealed for long in Florida. That's a fact.

Don't even go there. It's too far of a stretch right now. I've already <snipped> and removed several posts of the sort so please don't post like that again. Thanks.

Re. sleuthing others - I am going to review the recently released probably cause warrants again and speak with Tricia. I will update as to who is permitted to be sleuthed. Right now, the only ones who are open for sleuthing are the two men who have been arrested - Sigfredo Garcia and Luis Rivera And they both have very common Hispanic surnames so make 100% sure you have the correct ones before linking

Okay. Beach. I love you.

But is her brother arrested or what.

http://www.talgov.com/tpd/news/4295.aspx
June 02, 2016
Update: June 2 2016 - Press Conference
Today the Tallahassee Police Department held a press conference regarding the latest developments in Dan Markel murder investigation.

Chief DeLeo discussed facts of the case related to the probable cause affidavit which was released for Sigfredo Garcia.

Pursuant to this affidavit, Mr. Luis M. Rivera {DOB: 04-25-83} was named as a co-defendant. Mr. Rivera is currently incarcerated on unrelated charges at Federal Correction Institute/ Coleman Low 846 NE 54th Terrace Sumterville, FL 33521.

Charges against Mr. Rivera are forthcoming.

Lol. Sorry my friend.

The last posts confused me.

I truly thought they knew.

Sorry.

Let me clarify for everyone -

There is a difference is speculating and posting opinions vs. sleuthing. You guys are free to speculate about the obvious (info deemed from sources of fact. e.g., the probable cause docs) Where is crosses the line is sleuthing - digging into the personal backgrounds of each of those people that appear to be related to the investigation. No posting of their social media accounts, no links to their businesses, etc.... IOW, don't post sleuthing results on this public forum. However, speculation about the obvious connections as deemed from the probable cause docs - feel free to respectfully express those opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLWho