Trial - Ross Harris #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't listen to this testimony. For anyone listening to the whole thing, could you please post whether or not he mentions "deprivation of sustenance"? That's what LE said on the 18th they assumed the cause of death to be, and why their search warrants on the 18th cited the charge of 1st degree CC and felony murder.

Cooper was laying on the pavement, covered by a white sheet, next to the SUV when Jackson arrived.

The assistant district attorney showed a photo of Cooper’s body, uncovered, to the jury. His legs were stiff, bent as if he was still sitting in the car seat.

There are different types of rigor mortis. Firm rigor mortis is when you can’t move body parts. Cooper was in a state of moderate rigor mortis, which means the investigator was able to move his legs and arms.

Jackson said he put Cooper on a white sheet “out of respect” so that the boy’s face would not be against the hot pavement while his back was examined.

Cooper was sweaty. “There was an odor of urine present,” Jackson testified. There was only urine in Cooper’s diaper, not feces.

Cooper had abrasions on his head, back, legs and arms. There was a light green discoloration on his stomach.

Jackson says they had a hard time getting medical records on Cooper because Leanna Harris was uncooperative, refused to give him her son's history. She told him he would need to talk to the Cobb police department or her attorney. Jackson said he had to subpoena Cooper’s medical records from Kaiser Permanente.

Prior to his death, Cooper was a healthy young boy.

Jackson was contacted by police around 5:15 p.m. on the evening of Cooper’s death to come to the scene. At that time, Jackson wasn’t told that the scene was a crime scene. A lieutenant told him when he arrived that “foul play” could not be ruled out.

Jackson says he was present as investigators did a heat test on Harris' car days later, placing it in the same spot it was parked the day of Cooper's death and measuring the temperature inside the car throughout the day.

Jackson donned a full body crime scene suit, a mask and gloves in order to not contaminate the crime scene.

He had never dealt before with a situation where a child died from the heat.

Is this the ME who has been accused of what amounts to gross incompetence?

out
Jackson says they had a hard time getting medical records on Cooper because Leanna Harris was uncooperative, refused to give him her son's history. She told him he would need to talk to the Cobb police department or her attorney. Jackson said he had to subpoena Cooper’s medical records from Kaiser Permanente.

Prior to his death, Cooper was a healthy young boy.

Jackson was contacted by police around 5:15 p.m. on the evening of Cooper’s death to come to the scene. At that time, Jackson wasn’t told that the scene was a crime scene. A lieutenant told him when he arrived that “foul play” could not be ruled out.

Jackson says he was present as investigators did a heat test on Harris' car days later, placing it in the same spot it was parked the day of Cooper's death and measuring the temperature inside the car throughout the day.

Jackson donned a full body crime scene suit, a mask and gloves in order to not contaminate the crime scene.

He had never dealt before with a situation where a child died from the heat.

5:15 , contacted. He wasn't told it was a crime scene? LE indicated in search warrants they ruled it not just a crime scene but a homicide investigation well before 5. That's why CAP was called out.

How long was the ME investigator there with Ferrell? Who he says told him "foul play couldn't be ruled out"? Because by 7 at the latest LE was filing affadavits for search warrants and listing felony murder as the charge, and "deprivation of sustenance" as method.

out

5:15 , contacted. He wasn't told it was a crime scene? LE indicated in search warrants they ruled it not just a crime scene but a homicide investigation well before 5. That's why CAP was called out.

How long was the ME investigator there with Ferrell? Who he says told him "foul play couldn't be ruled out"? Because by 7 at the latest LE was filing affadavits for search warrants and listing felony murder as the charge, and "deprivation of sustenance" as method.

The ME investigator testifying now, said from the time he put his suit on and he was done...it was less than an hour. He was just there to take pictures of Cooper. The ME and forensic examiner does the rest. I am having a hard time hearing, but I believe he was done with pictures before 7:00.

I thought Leanna wasn't privy to testimony as she is still a witness to be called?

The prosecution asking questions after the defense cross. Pointing out that it's not unusual for charges to be made before the autopsy is done. It is not unusual for the DA office and police to be present in meetings with the ME's office.

Defense now asking if it's unusual for the defense to request evidence. It's not.

(IMO, this witness was very professional. His reports were complete with updated dates as new info or requests came in. He seemed on top of his job and the requirements.)

The chief ME in 2014 is on stand now.

The State, on redirect, tidied up his testimony by having him acknowledge it was considered a crime scene. Other questions on redirect IMO were clearly about trying to explain there was nothing unusual about LE immediately considering the scene a homicide investigation, or of obtaining search warrants etc. with an assumption of intent BEFORE an autopsy was completed.

So according to Pros Boring on ReDirect to Alex Hall, when RH helped Alex move, LH had texted RH.(Alex does not remember if LH text or not) Boring went on to ask if he knew that RH did not go home when he left helping Alex he went to meet a prostitute. Then he was done with Alex Hall

That would be May 31, 2014- Doerr. (or as far as I can figure out)
May 31 (Sat) - (Wed) June 18, 2014
2 weeks + 4 days

:thinking: Something happened that Saturday. When did LH go to Alabama? That would be about the time that RH stopped taking photos at school around that 2 week period. OR rather it appears so. JMHO

Thank you so much to all of websleuther's keeping us apprised of the trial testimony. I can't live stream due to limited

From 9:38 a.m. (sorry for the delay, I'm at work and following this trial):

The defense attorney is asking Jackson about Leanna’s unwillingness to cooperate.

Jackson had called her and she was making funeral arrangements. He asked her about Cooper’s medical history but referred him to folks she had already given that information too, not outright refusing Jackson.

There was no indication that Cooper had been abused. He was a “normal, healthy child,” Jackson testified.

At one point, there was a meeting with law enforcement officers at the medical examiner’s office.

They were still doing their investigation at that time, Jackson said, adding that he knew they were considering charges against Harris.

He also met with the DA, which Jackson said wasn’t typical.

Jackson said he did not offer an opinion as to whether Harris was guilty or not. He just described the scene, he said.

In your experience, does the Cobb County police department bring charges before an investigation is complete? the attorney asked. Jackson said he doesn’t work with the police department.

He also said it wasn’t unusual to receive a report from the department very soon after a crime occurred. Jackson received a report from police the day after Cooper’s death.

During a meeting with the DA and Cobb police, Jackson was made aware of video in the case but did not view it.

Jackson did view a reenactment of what happened. Detectives were evaluating Cooper’s position in the car.

http://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ne...ross-harris-trial-oct/zTSewYoZsZkzQo6CS0MBgM/

I thought Leanna wasn't privy to testimony as she is still a witness to be called?

I was pondering this yesterday. Not necessarily with regard to this case only, but now that so much media covers court proceedings, how can witnesses be trusted to not listen/watch testimony? Prospective witnesses might even be reading here :D Hard to believe that witnesses actually refrain from trial coverage as they wait to testify. :moo:

The prosecution called its next witness, Brian Frist, who was the chief medical examiner in Cobb in 2014, although he is now retired.

A pathologist at a hospital is in charge of labs, hematology, material removed during surgeries and autopsies as needed.

Forensic pathologist has extra training to understand non-natural causes of death.

The medical examiner is in charge of the individual case. An investigator goes out to document the scene and bring the body back to the examiner’s office.

The medical examiner discusses the scene with the investigator.

http://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ne...ross-harris-trial-oct/zTSewYoZsZkzQo6CS0MBgM/

Court is in recess for 15 minutes.

ME investigator also said there was no one there at Cooper's body besides him and Shumpert. So it's weird that Ferrell testified that he was right there on the other side of Cooper's body and could smell "death" - when Jackson and Martin both said he wasn't there, and the only smells they smelled were urine and sweat.

And Ferrell didn't write a report noting his his involvement or the smell of death until a year after the incident - when Stoddard reminded him.

I'm know this will be tough testimony to hear. Thank's so much to all of the dedicated sleuther's for transcribing this trial. I'm am very appreciative of your dedication. I'm have limited gigabytes available, so can't livestream on my computer.

ME investigator also said there was no one there at Cooper's body besides him and Shumpert. So it's weird that Ferrell testified that he was right there on the other side of Cooper's body and could smell "death" - when Jackson and Martin both said he wasn't there, and the only smells they smelled were urine and sweat.

And Ferrell didn't write a report noting his his involvement or the smell of death until a year after the incident - when Stoddard reminded him.

Maybe there was nothing at all hinky about how LE handled first the crime scene then the first 48 hours if the investigation. If that's the case, how unfortunate for them that their own mistatements and inconsistent statements keep suggesting otherwise.

Which on is Ferrell? I'm having such a hard time keeping names straight. Oy! I thought there was Jackson and two other men there.

I was pondering this yesterday. No necessarily with regard to this case only, but now that so much media covers court proceedings, how can witnesses be trusted to not listen/watch testimony? Prospective witnesses might even be reading here :D Hard to believe that witnesses actually refrain from trial coverage as they wait to testify. :moo:

I would think inexperienced civilian witnesses would refrain, if for no other reason they'd be afraid of being caught out by sharp attorneys because what they heard made them unintentionally deviate from expected testimony.

Personally, though, I think Stoddard might be paying a great deal of attention to testimony. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member