Happy Days' Star Erin Moran Dead at 56

its sad that everyone jumped to conclusions so quickly I guess she should have called up a newspaper the second she found out she was terminal (NOT) I wonder how long she knew though.

Well now that the media (most outlets, imo.) have gleefully smeared her...... :banghead:

Sometimes I hate msm. I realize we need to link to msm so we're not spreading rumor or hearsay--- but shouldn't msm be held to a HIGHER STANDARD ??? Idiots. :stormingmad:

Was going to say that even IF she'd succumbed to an overdose-- my sympathies would still be with her, as I struggle with eating issues--- and it's no different than a drug/alcohol addiction.

Rest gently, Erin ! My utmost condolences to all who loved you !

This post is so sweet. It restores my faith in humanity.

She probably had no health insurance, so couldn't see a doctor for diagnosis and treatment. Indiana is a very poor state for access to affordable health care. They refused the Medicaid Expansion, so low income people are left with no options.

Such a shame, but sadly see it too often with cancer patients.

THIS ^^^^^^ a thousand times this.

People mag said she had a feeding tube, so I expect she had medical help, but maybe not soon enough.

http://people.com/tv/erin-moran-death-relied-feeding-tube-during-final-days-battling-stage-4-cancer/

Very possible. If she had Stage 4 cancer and a feeding tube, she was also likely on pain meds. Hope people don't criticize her for that. Those strong pain meds are for people with late stage cancer. I also hope she doesn't get a lot of criticism for her cancer diagnosis. People can be cruel, blaming the patient for getting their cancer, didn't get "early detection", etc. It's probably why she kept it secret. Sadly, many cancer patients, especially low income people, are subjected to a lot of hurtful words and criticism from others. I'm a cancer survivor who has counseled patients, I know.

Stage 4 cancer is usually terminal and quickly at that. Not everyone of course, some linger, some have been able to beat it, but it all depends on what kind of cancer. Even the best medicines in the world can't cure it. I wouldn't assume anything about what kind of healthcare she had or didn't have or assume what choices she may have made or didn't make about treatment. RIP Erin.

Regardless of cancer type patients without health insurance or on Medicaid are much more likely to die than those with regular insurance:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3699851/

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...er-patients-survival-time-to-insurance-status

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=4509807

It's an even bigger problem in rural areas (like where Erin was living) because local oncology docs often refuse to see uninsured patients or those on Medicaid.

Not to belabor the point, but people need to be aware of this problem. It's not talked about much.

I'm so sorry Ms. Moran has died she was a great actress who had an unfairly difficult life. May Ms. Moran Rest In Peace.

Very possible. If she had Stage 4 cancer and a feeding tube, she was also likely on pain meds. Hope people don't criticize her for that. Those strong pain meds are for people with late stage cancer. I also hope she doesn't get a lot of criticism for her cancer diagnosis. People can be cruel, blaming the patient for getting their cancer, didn't get "early detection", etc. It's probably why she kept it secret. Sadly, many cancer patients, especially low income people, are subjected to a lot of hurtful words and criticism from others. I'm a cancer survivor who has counseled patients, I know.

This ^^^^^^

Henry Winkler and Ron Howard released caring and respectful statements about Erin Moran's passing
In contrast, I am saddened to hear the remarks both Paul Petersen and Scott Baio have made. While what they said may or may not have been completely accurate, the tone seemed insensitive and the timing very poor.

RIP Erin. I'm sure "Mr. C" was there waiting for you....

Editing to add: But for the grace of God go I!

Regardless of cancer type patients without health insurance or on Medicaid are much more likely to die than those with regular insurance

I agree. Do you know whether Erin had health insurance or not?

I heard tonight on the news and on E channel, that she died from stage 4 cancer and no drugs were found in home or on her, so was glad it wasn't a heroin OD as originally posted or her alcohol addiction, as rumored, but was something she had no control over and unfortunately, got the best of her. :( Still sad to hear and may she RIP

BBM

Just for the record, since you are the second person to quote my post and include words that seem to me to imply that I was criticizing Erin for maybe not getting medical help "soon enough"....that was the furthest thing from my mind! In no way would I ever criticize or blame a patient for a cancer diagnosis or not getting early detection.

What I was referring to was the known fact that some cancers are very hard to detect early and are already so far advanced that medical treatment cannot be done "soon enough" to save them. That is all I meant. I have no idea what kind of cancer Erin had or what kind of insurance she had and I am sorry that I apparently worded my general off-the-cuff comment so that it came across differently than I meant and sounded hurtful. I didn't expect a backlash or I would have spelled it out. I let it go with the first post replying to mine along the same lines, but since there are two I feel the need to clarify what I meant.

Thank you.

BBM

Just for the record, since you are the second person to quote my post and include words that seem to me to imply that I was criticizing Erin for maybe not getting medical help "soon enough"....that was the furthest thing from my mind! In no way would I ever criticize or blame a patient for a cancer diagnosis or not getting early detection.

What I was referring to was the known fact that some cancers are very hard to detect early and are already so far advanced that medical treatment cannot be done "soon enough" to save them. That is all I meant. I have no idea what kind of cancer Erin had or what kind of insurance she had and I am sorry that I apparently worded my general off-the-cuff comment so that it came across differently than I meant and sounded hurtful. I didn't expect a backlash or I would have spelled it out. I let it go with the first post replying to mine along the same lines, but since there are two I feel the need to clarify what I meant.

Thank you.

Thanks, Lilibet. I didn't mean to imply you were criticizing her. My apologies!

Hi Betty P. First off, I am so glad you are a cancer survivor and you counseled patients as well. :) May you continue with good health! :)

I do want to respond to your post because although I do not know what caused Erin's throat cancer, I will say that she was a smoker and I am Biased about cigarette smoking.

"Throat Cancer Risk Factors

Anything that increases your chance of getting throat cancer is a risk factor. People who smoke, especially those who drink alcohol, are at the most at risk for developing throat cancer. "

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancer-types/throat-cancer/throat-cancer-facts.html

Other factors can cause throat cancer as well, and I don't know the cause of her cancer.

My post is specific to what you posted that people can be cruel and blame the patient for getting cancer.

I think of cigarette smoking as "Smoking Cancer".
I don't understand those who choose to smoke and continue to smoke knowing the risks.

My Aunt is stage four lung cancer, a big smoker.
It hurts me and is heartbreaking. She is on Keytruda at the moment.

I don't Blame people for the cancer that they have, but I question CHOICES that can CAUSE cancer. I don't understand that.

IMOO.

ETA:

"Moran was a smoker, but Petersen, 71, and Wishnoff said they didn’t know what impact that habit had on her cancer."

http://pagesix.com/2017/04/24/happy-days-star-erin-moran-died-of-cancer/

Thanks, Lilibet. I didn't mean to imply you were criticizing her. My apologies!

No need to apologize, Betty P. Since two members made a similar comment, I wanted to clarify my meaning and apologize for inadvertently causing hurt, especially to anyone like you who is a cancer survivor. :heartbeat: Congratulations, by the way!

Henry Winkler and Ron Howard released caring and respectful statements about Erin Moran's passing
In contrast, I am saddened to hear the remarks both Paul Petersen and Scott Baio have made. While what they said may or may not have been completely accurate, the tone seemed insensitive and the timing very poor.

RIP Erin. I'm sure "Mr. C" was there waiting for you....

Editing to add: But for the grace of God go I!

Well, I officially HATE Scott Baio after his comments about Erin. How about, "rest in peace" or "You'll be missed. " WHAT AN A$$. What an insensitive, uncaring, judgmental A$$. The woman had caner and so what - even if she died from another disease... oh just have some compassion for another human being. You're time will come, Baio, and I won't cry.

RIP, Erin. You had a beautiful smile.

People question choices about - that may lead to - throat cancer. Addiction is a disease too. Maybe if folks weren't judged for their addiction they could get help sooner. The stigma needs to stop. (imo) I'm referring to Baio, not anyone here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spunky55
Back