Happy Days' Star Erin Moran Dead at 56

Once more people fall for fake/salacious news. Here's what Scott Baio had to say:

http://people.com/tv/scott-baio-explains-controversial-comments-erin-moran-death/

Baio stated in his Facebook post that he saw headlines suggesting Moran died of a heroin overdose before speaking on the show. “I was asked ONLY about Erin’s troubled past due to drug & alcohol abuse,” he wrote. “I was still upset and said I felt that living that kind of a lifestyle will catch up with you and nothing good would come of it.” It was before news came that Erin died of Stage 4 cancer.

Once more people fall for fake/salacious news. Here's what Scott Baio had to say:

http://people.com/tv/scott-baio-explains-controversial-comments-erin-moran-death/

Baio stated in his Facebook post that he saw headlines suggesting Moran died of a heroin overdose before speaking on the show. “I was asked ONLY about Erin’s troubled past due to drug & alcohol abuse,” he wrote. “I was still upset and said I felt that living that kind of a lifestyle will catch up with you and nothing good would come of it.” It was before news came that Erin died of Stage 4 cancer.
BBM

Imo it is not his business to comment on her "troubled past;" even if asked, he could decline to comment in that insensitive manner.

And imo being an uncaring a$$ can "catch up" with one too.

Hey Everyone,

Paul Peterson is my guest tonight on Websleuths Radio 8:00 PM Eastern.

Mr. Peterson starred in the Donna Reed show as the son Jeff Stone. He also helped create A Minor Consideration. An organization that helps child actors.

The show starts at 8:00 PM Eastern tonight Tuesday, April 25th.

CLICK HERE to listen live or listen anytime after the show is over

So far I've seen it assumed that:

- Erin died of a drug overdose
- Erin caused her own cancer or illness
- Erin had no health insurance
- Erin's cancer went untreated because she's poor and/or the State of Indiana has a bad Medicare system

So far all of these assumptions have been wrong.

And yet the assumptions keep on rolling.

BBM

Imo it is not his business to comment on her "troubled past;" even if asked, he could decline to comment in that insensitive manner.

And imo being an uncaring a$$ can "catch up" with one too.

Well said!!

People question choices about - that may lead to - throat cancer. Addiction is a disease too. Maybe if folks weren't judged for their addiction they could get help sooner. The stigma needs to stop. (imo) I'm referring to Baio, not anyone here.

I understand addictions.

I haven't had a drink since January 2005.

IMOO.

ETA:
For myself, you could judge me all day long but that did not matter to me. I quit drinking for myself, no stigma attached. I Thank God for His help. It wasn't easy but if I didn't quit who knows if I would be here today.
IMOO.

Hey Everyone,

Paul Peterson is my guest tonight on Websleuths Radio 8:00 PM Eastern.

Mr. Peterson starred in the Donna Reed show as the son Jeff Stone. He also helped create A Minor Consideration. An organization that helps child actors.

The show starts at 8:00 PM Eastern tonight Tuesday, April 25th.

CLICK HERE to listen live or listen anytime after the show is over

Thank You, Tricia. I would love to hear it.

Oh my Heart breaks...So Beautiful, So Young, May she R.I.P.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Moran, 56, had been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in December"

"She started radiation and chemo," Fleischmann said of her treatment for the disease, which he originally thought was tonsillitis. "Five days a week radiation and chemo only on Thursdays. It got so bad so fast."

SOURCE

Hi Betty P. First off, I am so glad you are a cancer survivor and you counseled patients as well. :) May you continue with good health! :)

I do want to respond to your post because although I do not know what caused Erin's throat cancer, I will say that she was a smoker and I am Biased about cigarette smoking.

"Throat Cancer Risk Factors

Anything that increases your chance of getting throat cancer is a risk factor. People who smoke, especially those who drink alcohol, are at the most at risk for developing throat cancer. "

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancer-types/throat-cancer/throat-cancer-facts.html

Other factors can cause throat cancer as well, and I don't know the cause of her cancer.

My post is specific to what you posted that people can be cruel and blame the patient for getting cancer.

I think of cigarette smoking as "Smoking Cancer".
I don't understand those who choose to smoke and continue to smoke knowing the risks.

My Aunt is stage four lung cancer, a big smoker.
It hurts me and is heartbreaking. She is on Keytruda at the moment.

I don't Blame people for the cancer that they have, but I question CHOICES that can CAUSE cancer. I don't understand that.

IMOO.

ETA:

"Moran was a smoker, but Petersen, 71, and Wishnoff said they didn’t know what impact that habit had on her cancer."

http://pagesix.com/2017/04/24/happy-days-star-erin-moran-died-of-cancer/

We do know that Erin had squamous cell cancer. That's a type of skin cancer that can begin in one part of the body and present itself elsewhere at the time of diagnosis.

https://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck/patient/metastatic-squamous-neck-treatment-pdq

Metastatic squamous neck cancer with occult primary is a disease in which squamous cell cancer spreads to lymph nodes in the neck and it is not known where the cancer first formed in the body.

Signs and symptoms of metastatic squamous neck cancer with occult primary include a lump or pain in the neck or throat.

Since it's unclear where her cancer may have begun, it's difficult to say what caused it. There are several types of head and neck cancers that affect the throat. Risk factors for squamous cell cancer are too much exposure to the sun, environmental exposure and inherited genetic risk. As with many types of cancer, researchers don't really know exactly what causes them.

There's a lot of information about squamous cell cancer at the link above. Everyone should take a look at it. It's not the most common type of skin cancer, but it is the most deadly.

Other types of head and neck cancers are caused by smoking, HPV virus, etc. But squamous cell is a unique type of cancer.

ETA: As information, Celine Dione's husband had squamous cell carcinoma of the lymph glands. In the media it was referred to as "throat cancer". He was diagnosed in 1999 and lived until 2016.

RIP Erin. You entertained a lot of people for many years. Thanks for that. You will be missed.

We do know that Erin had squamous cell cancer. That's a type of skin cancer that can begin in one part of the body and present itself elsewhere at the time of diagnosis.

https://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck/patient/metastatic-squamous-neck-treatment-pdq

Since it's unclear where her cancer may have begun, it's difficult to say what caused it. There are several types of head and neck cancers that affect the throat. Risk factors for squamous cell cancer are too much exposure to the sun, environmental exposure and inherited genetic risk. As with many types of cancer, researchers don't really know exactly what causes them.

There's a lot of information about squamous cell cancer at the link above. Everyone should take a look at it. It's not the most common type of skin cancer, but it is the most deadly.

Other types of head and neck cancers are caused by smoking, HPV virus, etc. But squamous cell is a unique type of cancer.

ETA: As information, Celine Dione's husband had squamous cell carcinoma of the lymph glands. In the media it was referred to as "throat cancer". He was diagnosed in 1999 and lived until 2016.

RIP Erin. You entertained a lot of people for many years. Thanks for that. You will be missed.

We know that Erin had throat cancer and it was squamous cell cancer.

This is an interesting article, too.

Erin's husband thought she had tonsillitis.

If she had this type of throat cancer of which we don't know, this is a throat squamous cell cancer as well:

https://www.myvmc.com/diseases/throat-cancer-squamous-cell-carcinoma-of-the-tonsil/

[h=2]Risk Factors for Throat cancer (Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Tonsil)[/h]"This type of throat cancer shows a strong association with alcohol consumption and tobacco smoking, particularly of cigarettes – in fact, tobacco is thought to be implicated in well over 80% of cases of throat cancers. Chronic exposure of the epithelial surfaces of the head and neck to these irritants are thought to result in a “field cancerisation” sequence of hyperplasia, dysplasia and carcinoma. That is, the development of premalignant lesions that may then undergo malignant change to become a throat cancer. Smoking and alcohol act synergistically in the development of throat cancer – the risk when both of these factors is present is more than double the risk of exposure to one factor alone."

IMOO.

<modsnip>
It reminds me of when I was first diagnosed with breast cancer. A few thoughtless people told me that, had I gotten a mammogram, I never would have been diagnosed with the disease. They didn't realize I had routine mammograms and still got breast cancer. :facepalm:

It's a sad situation when people deal with their fear of getting cancer by blaming cancer patients for getting the disease because of some perceived bad behavior.

Betty: I have diabetes and i have to deal with people who think that diabetes is no longer a serious disease.. when, in fact, it's a constant struggle to live a normal life.

Betty: I have diabetes and i have to deal with people who think that diabetes is no longer a serious disease.. when, in fact, it's a constant struggle to live a normal life.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Some people can be so thoughtless and uninformed when it comes to illness. Maybe they get confused by all the over-hyped medical advertising in the news media.

<modsnip>
It reminds me of when I was first diagnosed with breast cancer. A few thoughtless people told me that, had I gotten a mammogram, I never would have been diagnosed with the disease. They didn't realize I had routine mammograms and still got breast cancer. :facepalm:

It's a sad situation when people deal with their fear of getting cancer by blaming cancer patients for getting the disease because of some perceived bad behavior.
BBM

OT--Good grief! Do some people actually think mammograms prevent breast cancer?! In any case, mammograms are certainly not perfect and don't catch all cancer.

I think you've nailed it that people deal with their fear of getting cancer by blaming cancer patients for perceived behavior that caused the cancer. If they don't engage in that behavior, they reassure themselves that they won't get cancer. Somehow reassuring themselves trumps showing compassion for the cancer patient.

I think in general, many people like to pick the bones of the deceased and especially so in the case of a celeb who died. The thing is, every.single.person alive will die some day. And no one is assured of tomorrow. But that basic reality doesn't change that bone pickers like to pick. Perhaps it makes them feel superior or distances them from their own mortality, who knows.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80
Back