Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible, too, that whoever did this was in a hurry; murder was spontaneous. The person didn't have a shovel or anything with which to conceal/bury bodies. It's also likely that the killer may have felt some remorse after shooting them and did not want to disfigure/dismember the bodies in any way. In other words, we are not dealing with a thrill killing or a sadist/psycho. I'm guessing that were robbed and murdered in a spontaneous fashion by someone who didn't plan this out real well or very far in advance. Just my thoughts.

I am also considering the possibility that there may have been organized crime in the area at some point during the 60s and 70s.

Maybe they were apart of an undercover sting operation...FBI agent.....that went sour. Their cover was blown and they were killed. Identities are being kept secret...

It's possible, too, that whoever did this was in a hurry; murder was spontaneous. The person didn't have a shovel or anything with which to conceal/bury bodies. It's also likely that the killer may have felt some remorse after shooting them and did not want to disfigure/dismember the bodies in any way. In other words, we are not dealing with a thrill killing or a sadist/psycho. I'm guessing that were robbed and murdered in a spontaneous fashion by someone who didn't plan this out real well or very far in advance. Just my thoughts.

I am also considering the possibility that there may have been organized crime in the area at some point during the 60s and 70s.

That seems more likely to me. I've wondered also whether there was some sort of altercation over the girl, or over a casual drug purchase. But the idea of the motorcycle being stolen makes a lot of sense. We've certainly seen many many cases where a victim was simply dumped beside a road somewhere, often an access road as in this case. The murderer doesn't care whether they're found as long as they can't be connected to him.

The shooting seemed overkill...3 shots each in 3 different places. Also, having a love for motorcycle riding, she seemed to be in the wrong footwear for that...pink open toed sandals...hmmm...and no underwear..ouch!
If someone transported this couple to this location, either they were tied up, thrown in the back of a van, or someone else helped while he drove. Clear distinct faces and jewelry, but no one can identify..

Yes, however, the shots seem to be very precise. I don't think someone who was in a hurry or someone who would attack them in an unplanned manner would be able to shoot them so precisely, three times each. Someone who is in a hurry wouldn't kill them each three times in a similar way while not shooting them in the head. Why waste do many bullets? Also, not shooting them in the head increases the possibility that the wounds can be nonfatal. I am also thinking that they could have waited to make sure that they were dead.
It just seems to be unplanned and not like the couple was killed randomly. If this wasn't planned but happened as a result of an accident, I would expect to see more signs of struggle and more of a "messy" scene. They were clearly able to subdue this couple with little evidence of struggle. The scene more looks like a "killed and dumped" scenario than a random ambush.
I don't believe they rode a motorcycle. It just doesn't fit into all these. Foreigners in Sumter co, SC... on a motorcycle... The woman wearing clothes like she's getting ready for a date and both of them look groomed? They just don't look like the biker type at all. Also, if they traveled long distances on a motorcycle, wouldn't you expect them to be tanned? I didn't think they were. They both had a dark complexion but I don't think the coroner ever mentions them being tanned or being exposed to the sun.
If they were traveling such long distances, I would expect them to have some kind of luggage... Like extra clothes and other personal items that a traveler would normally have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The shooting seemed overkill...3 shots each in 3 different places. Also, having a love for motorcycle riding, she seemed to be in the wrong footwear for that...pink open toed sandals...hmmm...and no underwear..ouch!
If someone transported this couple to this location, either they were tied up, thrown in the back of a van, or someone else helped while he drove. Clear distinct faces and jewelry, but no one can identify..

All I can say is stupid or not, in the seventies we did ride motorcycles in sandals, and often went without underwear under our jeans. So it might mean something, or it might not.

Other things to mention...

If they had a car, it must have had out of state/country license plates. I am pretty sure a foreign or out of state license plate would stand out instantaneously in Sumter county, SC... It's not a kind of place where there is a lot of people coming and going, especially not back in the 70s. I find it unusual that there doesn't seem to be a good memory or recollection of them, or an impression they must have made on people. I mean, if they were from Canada, a car with Canadian plates would stand out! How come no one remembers their vehicle? If they were travelers and hung out with other travelers, it's a bit odd that no one appeared to remember their ride or not even know their names! I mean, people remember these details when learning casual or random facts about people they meet. I do find it strange that there doesn't seem to be a reliable eye witness account that could explain more about them. Yes, it's true that we don't know how long they were in South Carolina, but the fact that they were very likely foreigners would be pretty hard not to notice... they would have sounded and looked very different from your average Joe from the South.

Another thing to consider... What if our Jock Doe really told the guy at the camp that he was a Canadian doctor's son but it was a lie? If they were traveling, it's also possible they were hiding from something or someone. I think it's possible that they could have assumed various names and identities to distract attention away from them. This is certainly something to consider. I don't think how to develop this thought further, but it's likely they were running or hiding, hence their decision for ending up in SC.

I think there is a possibility of these...
1) their families were involved in murdering them as that would explain why there were unclaimed & unidentified
2) whoever killed them, killed their families and then made sure to track them down and kill them as well. The reason could have been some kind of payback or personal vendetta...
3) whoever killed them, did so to instill fear and subdue their loved ones or silence them in a certain way. It's possible that the killer or someone who ordered the murder was so powerful, that their families were afraid for their lives. They could have learned of the couple's death but never came forward as they were afraid of being next to be murdered.

I think there was very likely more than one shooter. The couple didn't have any signs of fight marks on their bodies. They weren't drugged and hadn't been tied up and had no bruising or other signs indicating physical fight or restraint. I am thinking they were probably shot in their back first, and then turned over and were each shot two more times.... in the chest and neck. I mean, the fact that they were not shot in the head is significant. I cannot think of many instances when someone shooting with an intent to kill but didn't shoot the victim in the head. I still keep coming back to the fact that they way they were killed is symbolic in some way or was done for a particular purpose. It's likely they were photographed after being murdered to have proofs of their deaths and perhaps share the pictures to silence and intimidate their loved ones.

Because of no identification, I'm thinking no one has come forward due to drugs or undercover work .

Jewelry could have come from a second hand store...however,the dentistry work is interesting. Was there any ruleouts in this case?

I've been following this for some time, but I had a few thoughts.

Do we know,
How many times each was shot?
What sort of gun was used (and perhaps recovered from the truck)?
The distance off the road in which the bodies were recovered?

I've been following this for some time, but I had a few thoughts.

Do we know,
How many times each was shot?
What sort of gun was used (and perhaps recovered from the truck)?
The distance off the road in which the bodies were recovered?
Wikipedia: "Each victim had been shot three times, receiving one shot in the throat, one in the chest, and one in the back. The weapon used was believed to be a .357 caliber revolver."

They even found the exact same weapon that was used to kill the couple, but they let the guy go.

Wikipedia: "Each victim had been shot three times, receiving one shot in the throat, one in the chest, and one in the back. The weapon used was believed to be a .357 caliber revolver."

They even found the exact same weapon that was used to kill the couple, but they let the guy go.

and the guy wasn't legally able to have a firearm....

So many questions!

Why was the guy with the gun..that was involved in a double murder..let go??

Anyone know of this guys dealings..ever serve time or involved in drugs? Still alive??

Why was the guy with the gun..that was involved in a double murder..let go??
That's a very good question. My guess is that either the police weren't very diligent with their investigation or the guy was family/friends with someone important, someone who didn't want him arrested.

There isn't enough evidence for any charges. Being possibly associated with a murder weapon doesn't mean you were necessarily complicit in the crime.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I have to say that this all seems so very organized to me, and not remotely spontaneous. It was done neatly, and thoroughly.

The mid to late 70's was really getting into the heyday of big cocaine in the United States. More than a few somewhat similar murders occurred over the south east during that time period. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with 'The Bluegrass conspiracy?' That time period was rife with that sort of violence. If they were robbed why kill them? No sexual assault on either, as far as has been mentioned, neither of them have defensive wounds? Or appeared to have tried to run?

There's no evidence of the motive in these two which I believe is part of what makes figuring them out so difficult. It's pure conjecture on my part, but I have a very hard time believing this was random. I'm not even sure that the killer(s) didn't want them identified, they didn't even try to hide the bodies. I think that the two were an unfortunate set of loose ends for some person or group, and ultimately paid the price for it.

Just my opinion.

My thoughts as well....from the amount of gunshot wounds to the style of killing...
No robbery indications or assault...almost like a hit. I keep coming bk to shot everywhere but the head...as if though he wanted their faces recognizable. Scare tactic to send a message. So what or who were they involved in\with?

I'm starting to believe that like the couple from Arkansas and Missouri, unidentified since June of 78, now ID!...they were not reported missing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000